Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official "Marvel" Thread (Movies,Comics etc)

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I saw Kelly Sue DeConnick has a cameo in the movie.  That's pretty cool.

I'm not exaggerating when I say she's become one of my favorite Marvel writers.  Each of those CM runs are so good.  I liked them even more than Coates's BP and Spencer's Astonishing Ant-Man, and I absolutely loved those.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I saw Kelly Sue DeConnick has a cameo in the movie.  That's pretty cool.

I'm not exaggerating when I say she's become one of my favorite Marvel writers.  Each of those CM runs are so good.  I liked them even more than Coates's BP and Spencer's Astonishing Ant-Man, and I absolutely loved those.

I thought i spotted her during that scene

She's writing Aquaman now. Not sure her immense talents can get me to care about that guy

• Like 1

First she triggers the incel movement and now she triggers the Fox news crowd by posing with a black man with a funny name?

Well played Brie. Well played.

Oh and movie was fun. Much better than a few others, not as good as a few others. Goose stole the show though.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Goose stole the show though.

I'm a cat guy so I loved him lol. 

I've read a lot of thoughts on it over the weekend and i still really liked it. Brie made Carol reserved but she never lost that cool. I suppose that makes some people feel disconnected since she doesn't have that rock bottom that most heroes hit and overcome. Her rock bottom happens prior to the movie and we are left with her basically discovering she's even more badass than the confident woman she starts the movie as. 

It's not perfect but it was very entertaining and enjoyable. It felt really fresh to me and like i mentioned, Bree just brings a swagger to it all. 

Spoiler

Does Captain Marvel age in the comics? She didn't look much older in the credits scene for endgame, her hair was just longer and straighter. 

also, loved the Stan Lee tribute at the beginning. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hide contents

Does Captain Marvel age in the comics? She didn't look much older in the credits scene for endgame, her hair was just longer and straighter. 

Yeah my thoughts. 

I'm guessing the power of the space stone and her ability to fly at the speed of light means aging doesn't happen normally for her. 

Plus I read that speed of light flying leads to something called time dilation where time slows down while traveling? So on Hala or C23 (😁) 25 years might have passed while she was just flying in both directions but she wouldn't have aged much. 

Also...do you think she was replying to this button press by Fury or one from the first or second Avengers movies when Earth was under attack? Who's to say he didn't summon her earlier?

She is going to kick Thanos's ass either way. She's easily the most overpowered being in the marvel universe. I mean..unless Rogue shows up and steals her powers (and memory again).

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

I thought i spotted her during that scene

She's writing Aquaman now. Not sure her immense talents can get me to care about that guy 

I'm not a DC guy, so I wouldn't have read it anyway.  But a great writer with sufficient creative freedom can make a dud character pretty good.

Wish she'd have kept writing CM.  I haven't read Mighty Captain Marvel yet, but I heard the new writers kind of wrecked her character.  If true, that really sucks.  DeConnick's version was a breath of fresh air and a worthy face for Marvel's newest age. 

22 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Not really, although there are a lot of continuity issues with her character.  She has Kree DNA which gives her a Wolverine style healing factor.  Probably the most adverse thing that can happen to her health-wise is that she has to regenerate her brain and organs from scratch and she loses her personality and memories, which has happened to her several times.  Famously with Rogue putting her in a coma and stealing her powers, and most recently due to a brain lesion that Yon-Rogg gave her in the DeConnick run.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

She is going to kick Thanos's ass either way. She's easily the most overpowered being in the marvel universe. I mean..unless Rogue shows up and steals her powers (and memory again). 

I don't think she's any more overpowered than Thor or Hulk.  The whole World War Hulk story line was such a friggin mess.  Really didn't enjoy it.  He literally defeats everyone with relative ease, including Strange and Sentry, and could have murdered every living thing on the planet if he'd wanted to.  Plus he has a deathstar-like power to destroy planetary bodies themselves.

Thor was the guy they created to fight him.  Thor is so overpowered that they've usually had to come up with strange and somewhat contrived reasons for him to lose fights.  Either emotional reasons or Odin being capricious or absurd turning back into a pumpkin at midnight style limitations like Mjolnr changing into an umbrella if it leave's Thor's hands for 60 seconds.

There are a lot of other continuity-breaking characters/entities who are OP too.  The aforementioned Odin, Silver Surfer, Galactus, the Beyonders, Molecule Man, Adam Warlock (a true Deus Ex Machina), etc.  There is a reason beyond convoluted movie rights that those guys haven't popped up in the MCU.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The aging thing seems like an easy thing to explain away.  Or a minor detail to ignore.  Either one is fine with me in this instance.  

It's the cellular regeneration thing due to the healing factor.  It's the same reason Wolverine ages extremely slowly.  Her healing factor is probably even more powerful actually.

I don't know if the Kree are as long lived as the Asgardians, but a little known fact about Thor and Asgardian physiology is that they're not actually immortal.  They do quicken, but their life spans are extremely long.  Thor Odinson is at least a thousand years old.

• Thanks 1

I saw Captain Marvel this weekend and I enjoyed it.  Goose did steal the show, and I liked all of the nostalgia including the music and how long it took to upload files, dammit! 

I enjoyed her dry sense of humor, and I guess that's what some reviewers are referring to when they call her dull or uninspired? 

It's not going to win any awards, but it's a good continuation (or prequel) of the story.

Didn't like Earth being referred to as a ****hole, but it is what it is.

Spoiler

Based on the mid credits scene, Captain Marvel shows up pretty soon after the snap.  So the whatever time jump there is happens AFTER Captain Marvel shows up.  Cuz depressed Cap going to therapy happens then, judging by the clean shaven look.  

I'm guessing the gap in the trailer shot of them walking in the facility is Captain Marvel.  

6 minutes ago, justice98 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Based on the mid credits scene, Captain Marvel shows up pretty soon after the snap.  So the whatever time jump there is happens AFTER Captain Marvel shows up.  Cuz depressed Cap going to therapy happens then, judging by the clean shaven look.  

I'm guessing the gap in the trailer shot of them walking in the facility is Captain Marvel.  

It could be awhile before she gets back. They had to have time to regroup, find the pager in the middle of NYC, take it back to the lab, evaluate it and hook up the battery backup. It was likely running for awhile before finally dying. Cap's beard is trimmed too. 

8 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

in Marvel I trust, their track record is too deep. It would take a few consistent disappointments to get me questioning their overall strategy.

Although i have no interest at all in a Black Widow movie. That kind of movie has been done to death

• Thanks 1