Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GHH's Observations: The Good, The Bad and The 'Meh, the Sky's NOT Falling Reality Perspective' W4: Thursday Night Nightmare.

Gibbs Hog Heaven

GHH I agree 100% on Orakpo but after watching the game again, Eli did get the ball out in under 3 seconds on every pass play. Even free blitzers couldn't hit him because he was too quick getting the ball away. I blame the defensive game planning with CB's 10 yards off. Then Meriweather and Riley for getting exposed in coverage all game long.

Bingo. Exactly what I said in the game day thread to GHH, to which he basically told me I'm full of ****.

For both the eagles and giants games, the running game was extremely inconsistent. They ripped off a few 15+ yard runs, but they had more runs if -2 to 2 yards. At least that's my memory. I'll go back and get the run by run breakdown.

So I went back and took a look at the play by play.  Here is the Giants game:

1-10: 4 Yards
2-6: 12 Yards
1-10: 3 Yards
2-7: 2 Yards
2-1: 2 Yards
2-10: 18 Yards
1-10: 2 Yards
1-8: 4 Yards
1-10: 5 Yards
1-10: 20 Yards
2-5: 2 Yards
1-10: 1 Yards
2-15: 0 Yards
1-10: -1 Yards
1-10: 6 Yards

Here is the Eagles game
2-4: 8 Yards
1-10: 1 Yards
1-10: 6 Yards
1-10: 0 Yards
2-5: 2 Yards
2-8: 3 Yards
1-10: 12 Yards
1-3: -1 Yards
2-5: 4 Yards
3-1: 3 Yards
2-3: 0 Yards
1-15: 2 Yards
3-1: 1 Yards
2-10: 8 Yards
2-5: 3 Yards
3-1: 3 Yards
1-10: 7 Yards
1-1: 1 Yards

So, I guess my point is somewhat valid, and somewhat disproven by the statistics. I still think (and the run-by-run numbers back this up) that the running game is inconsistent.  But I was a little shocked that there were as many 4-5 yard runs as there were.  But there are quite a few -1,0,1 and 2 yard runs in there as well.  

As I said, I'd like to see them run a little more, but stay balanced.  I am actually opposed to making this a run-first team.  I think it should be a balanced team.  And with the weapons they have in the passing game, they should be able to pass effectively.

One other thing to note that the play-by-play gives us: They don't get a lot of big plays our of the running game.  In the eagles game they had 3 10+ yard plays, and in the Giants game they had 1.  The big plays for this offense are going to come from the passing game.  They need to use the running game to keep the defense honest so they can loosen things up for the passing game.

My .02.  I'm just really tired of hearing that the 'Skins gave up on the running game.  I generally don't think it's true.  There are a few instances when it is, but I don't think it is overall.  

Okay, you lost me at the Gruden criticism.  He said everything exactly right, as he should.  And if you dont understand the need for a wakeup call, with a team with a new coach and who believed their hype after the Jaguars game, you really dont understand human beings.  He was absolutely 100% correct with that.  And anyone that expects a coach to be fully prepared for the NFL in game 4 has seriously unrealistic expectations.  I know we are all stinging after that loss, but if coaching in the NFL were that easy, everyone would do it.

So I went back and took a look at the play by play.  Here is the Giants game:

......So, I guess my point is somewhat valid, and somewhat disproven by the statistics. I still think (and the run-by-run numbers back this up) that the running game is inconsistent.  But I was a little shocked that there were as many 4-5 yard runs as there were.  But there are quite a few -1,0,1 and 2 yard runs in there as well.

If 2 negative gain runs in 2 games fits your criteria of inconsistent then I guess you can call the running game inconsistent. But for me a GAIN is never a negative. Even a 1 yard GAIN is better then an incompletion or a sack or a interception. I don't expect every run to be 4+ yard gain. The chances of a "no-gain" is far greater via the pass then the run. 38% of the time when we drop back the out come will be no gain.  

As I said, I'd like to see them run a little more, but stay balanced.  I am actually opposed to making this a run-first team.  I think it should be a balanced team.  And with the weapons they have in the passing game, they should be able to pass effectively...

One other thing to note that the play-by-play gives us: They don't get a lot of big plays our of the running game. In the eagles game they had 3 10+ yard plays, and in the Giants game they had 1. The big plays for this offense are going to come from the passing game. They need to use the running game to keep the defense honest so they can loosen things up for the passing game.

Running a little more is all I'm advocating. We're good at running the ball and we do run the ball some. We just need to run the ball more. I don't really care about balance, heck we're not balanced now.

I want Jay to produce a high efficiency offense and feature what we do best.

If we can run the ball I don't want to get away from it for the sake of balance.

I don't care about balance. I care about efficiency, scoring and winning.

"Should" is a dangerous word. There are a lot of things that should be. But we ARE good at running the ball.

And we don't need to pass the ball in volume to have a good passing game.

Look at Seattle or the 2012 Redskins highly effecient and productive passing offenses because of the running game.

Its basically the paradigm that many coaches have rode to productive offenses and WINs.

We had a letdown emotionally the other night.  Guys weren't ready to play.  Tough to get back up after a physical game on a short week, but Gruden's 'low impact' approach certianly didn't work.  Kinda tired of seeing that, especially playing at home.  Somehow, we've got to turn our home field back into an advantage.  Playing like ass is certainly not a step in the right direction.

Don't know why we keep putting Riley on coverage routes.  We could sub a DB in for him in certain situations, maybe we don't have confidence that they could cover better.

I think KRobinson is a very nice player.  It is really hard to rehab for two straight years, prep mentally, and step right in and do the job he has through 4 games.  Kudos to him.

Game ball to Swiss Army Niles.  Hustle and guts.

And every time I see a debate on Orakpo, I want to cut off my own dick and beat myself to death with it.  Please take that **** to the appropriate thread.

From Landry to Davis to Orakpo, it seems everytime we keep someone around on a one-year "show me something" opportunity, they shoot themselves in the foot.

Anyways, my biggest concern is that i'm not longer frustrated at the mounting losses and dumb play. I'm so used to it that it's almost comical to me. The redskins are like Curb Your Enthusiasm - they find new ways to embarrass themselves and make me laugh each and every week. 

What happened to the Brandon Merriweather that was all over the field making big plays in that half of a game that he played against the Eagles a few years ago before getting hurt again. That was the best safety play the Redskins have had since Sean Taylor but he has never played the same way since.

spot on!

Archived