Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's early but I'm liking the FO decision making

The Wicked Wop

It's to early but the FO looks to have done a really good job this offseason.  From Hatcher, to Ryan Clark (night and day difference at safety and has filled that senior leader role in the locker room), to Andre Roberts, to Linebacker Depth and aggressiveness, and D. Jackson (still yet to his full worth but it's early).

Anyway my hats off to them at this point because these look the moves of a very competent organization which at a minimum have made use much more competitive.

I agree, our depth was really on display and I think it really shows the difference between some of the other years. 3 of our offensive starters were out and we looked great.

Important to note that we weren't playing a really great team in Jacksonville but I think we still did quite well.

Have to agree.. On the surface anyway, it seems we've made solid improvement! That's all we as fans can really ask for!! Hope the 1st 2 games weren't sugar coating for our D, but they look much faster and just more like a "real" defense so far.. (Sans a couple bad angles from the secondary) Hopefully they keep it up and compete all season!!

I think Bruce is putting a in place where logical decision making is being made and letting the talent evaluators do their job.  If that's truly what's been in place then we finally have gotten what we've been asking years for.

Remember even though we weren't cap restricted we had soooooooo many holes that this was an offseason we needed to get value and depth.  If these past couple weeks hold true for the rest of the year, then the FO will have done an amazing job.

I don't like the millions given to Orakpo and DeSean while we are still so pitifully thin at safety and Polumbus/Chester are on the right side

But there is also a lot to like. We have apparently hit on several mid and late round draft picks which is something you have to do in this league to be successful

You're right it's early...too early to say yet. If we can pull off the upset in Philly next week, then we can start talking. Also would like to mention that it was Shanahan who wanted Cousins as an insurance policy to RG3. Love him or hate him, well okay we all hated him, Shanahan is the one to thank for Cousins.

Additionally, how about the job we've done raising some homegrown talent?

- Chris Baker is a serious force. According to Perry Riley Baker's favorite position is Nose. I know I'm not the only one who would like to see him stay there and move Cofield to DE when he recovers. Plus we'll be getting Bowen back around the same time. 

- Jarvis Jenkins has quietly played very well in the first two games. It's taken him a long time to get back to where people thought he was his rookie preseason but here is another young defensive linemen we have/are developing.

- Brian Baker is worth his weight and gold. I hope we find a way to keep Orakpo around because our defense could be great for years to come with him, Kerrigan and Murphy - similar to what the Giants did for several seasons with a ton of great pass rushers. 

- Perry Riley is playing as well as he ever has and Keenan frickin Robinson. Will Compton continues to improve. 

- Raheem Morris seems to have done an outstanding job with Amerson and Breeland is coming along nicely. 

- All three RB's plus Darrel Young are young mid-round draft picks or undrafted guys and they look to be the deepest group on our team. 

- Niles Paul has been killing it so far and Logan Paulsen was an undrafted guy who is very solid. 

- We finally drafted/developed/are developing a receiver in Ryan Grant. Wow. Another mid round guy.

- If LeRibeus, Long, Moses and Compton can at least produce two starters among them with the other two as depth we will be in very good shape for the future along the Offensive Line as this will be a position group we'll continue to address. 

That is a LOT of very productive players that are all mid to late round picks or even undrafted types. Say what you want about Shanahan but he definitely left this team much better off than he found it and had some good success in the draft. This current regime seems to have struck gold this offseason between the Draft and FA but perhaps most importantly this coaching staff has done an incredible job coaching these guys up. Let's hope this continues and we have a strong outing against Philly. 

i'm gonna inject a little balance here, since, for some reason, shanahans name has been coming up on the radio lately as if he were vince lombardi, something i would have thought impossible 9 months ago. 

with the release of rambo, the 2013 draft- shanahans last as head coach and defacto GM- doesnt look so great.

my point is not that shanahan was a total disaster - in some ways, i think he was. i absolutely give him credit for the good players he brought here, but he also had plenty of head scratchers- maybe as many good moves as questionable ones, if not more. 

i think we were such a starved, deprived fan base for years under snyderratto, that we equate being 'ok' with vince lombardi.

this articles almost a year old, but still has some relevant info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, just four years into their run with the Redskins, it appears like things should be over for both men. The Redskins are struggling through a 3-10 season, their 3rd losing season under the Allen/Shanahan team. The success of the two is pretty much the distant past. Shanahan is now 48-61 in his last 7 seasons as a head coach. Allen is 59-71 for his career since being given the General Manager position in Tampa Bay. The team has been nothing short of a disaster for four years and the front office track record is close to the bottom of the NFL.

Their first major personnel decision was to trade for a 34 year old, washed up Donovan McNabb to be Shanahan’s QB in 2010. The Redskins surrendered a 2nd round draft pick and a 4th round pick in 2011 for McNabb. McNabb had been paid a $6.2 million roster bonus  and was set to earn another $5.5 million in compensation for the year. McNabb struggled so the team signed him to a contract extension giving him another $3.5 million thinking it would get him to play better. Just four weeks after the extension was signed McNabb was benched by the head coach. The season was uncapped so the salary cap consequences were not as dire as normal,  but they still wasted a large sum of money and two draft picks on McNabb. They would recover some 6th round picks when they traded McNabb in 2011 to the Vikings.................

The Redskins continued to go the trade route moving pieces for DE Adam Carriker of the Rams and LT Jammal Brown of the Saints. The trade for Brown was complex with compensation being tied to both McNabb’s and Brown’s performance. Brown was coming off hip and hernia surgery and had missed all of 2009.  Brown played in 15 games in 2010 but battled hip problems all season. For whatever reason the Redskins decided to extend him anyway in 2011 to a 5 year $20.25 million dollar contract with $5.5 million guaranteed and just $250,000 per year in compensation tied to being active. Brown would only play 12 games in 2011 and none in 2012 before seeing his contract void.

Some of the intriguing signings would continue over the next three years. The Redskins signed WR Josh Morgan, who had never had 700 receiving yards in a season and was injured all of 2010, to a lucrative contract in 2011 worth $5.75 million a season for two years. This contract was close to the top of the number 2 receiver market and began the use of the voidable year provision for cap purposes. This type of contract would be the exact opposite of the “I-4 Off Ramp” with large sums of dead money existing in fake contract years in order to lower the cap charges at the front end of the contract. Per my records,  the Redskins currently have four such voidable contracts on their books. In two years Morgan has not produced 700 yards combined.

The team re-signed 27 year old LB London Fletcher to a two year contract with three voidable years worth over $5 million a season. Fletcher consistently grades as one of the worst linebackers in the NFL. The team signed DE Stephen Bowen formerly of the Cowboys to a high end contract for the position despite a career as an average player.  Perhaps the strangest of all was the decision to re-sign TE Fred Davis to a $2.5 million dollar contract filled with added incentives and by week two of the season demoting him to the bench...............

Another team would be crazy to give Shanhan the type of power he had in Denver and Washington. The Broncos defense had similar deficiencies to the ones in Washington and both are more or less Shanahan visions. At this point he should never be more than a coach.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://overthecap.com/redskins-bruce-allen-mike-shanahan/

As Grego alluded to...those 2013 draft picks, where are they now.  We always want to declare victory without winning anything :)  We played 2 of the worst teams in football from last year and lost to one of them.  Jacksonville is probably the worst team in the league this year...by far.

Let's beat a playoff caliber team, heck lets get 10 games into the season and look at where we are.

As Grego alluded to...those 2013 draft picks, where are they now.  

i like kevin sheehan, but his continued, seemingly nonstop slurping of the shanahans sack is borderline obsessive. 

today, he justified the 2013 draft by saying, essentially, that most draft picks arent actually picked with the idea that they will actually make the team, so mike is still a genius. oh, and so is kyle. dont dare question the play calling. 

its bizarre. 

hey, i was all in favor of shanahan coming here. but the guy ****ed up plenty. its ok to admit you are wrong. 

i hate when people stick so hard to one side of an argument and totally ignore (or excuse) the parts that dont support their pre-suppositions. 

I didn't have a problem with the previous regime's moves except for the first, the disastrous McNabb trade. Besides that they did a good job more or less, and there simply wasn't much you could do about the cap penalty. That's still on Snyderatto and the Haynesworth fiasco.

So far it's more of the same - I like the moves they made this offseason, ESPECIALLY not making the "big splash" everyvbody wanted them to make for a high priced safety. Their patience really paid off, not only did we bring in Hatcher, we weren't out of cap space when DJax fell into our lap. And they improved the defensive backfield on the cheap.

Shanallen did a decent job putting the team together. It's continued with Allen taking the full responsibility - hopefully Gruden can steer the ship a little better than Captain Shanahan, who seemed like he was at the wheel of the Valdeez by the end.

This. I'm as optimistic as they come, but at this point I'm still cautiously optimistic. Week 2 was a pleasant surprise, now let's see what they will do against an Eagles team that has barely survived their first two games

I wouldn't say the Eagles barely survived, they have just started slow the first half and have come back the second half of games and made great adjustments and destroyed teams. They have outscored their opponents 58 - 10 in the second half. I see them doing the same thing Sunday, slow start then an adjustment. Hopefully Djax has been giving some good intel but two weeks of watching Sproles and McCoy and I'm impressed.  

As Grego alluded to...those 2013 draft picks, where are they now.  We always want to declare victory without winning anything :)  We played 2 of the worst teams in football from last year and lost to one of them.  Jacksonville is probably the worst team in the league this year...by far.

Let's beat a playoff caliber team, heck lets get 10 games into the season and look at where we are.

What you say holds true if people wanted to claim we are going to the super bowl but just by watching the team, I can easily see that we have depth that we haven't had in a long time.  It's too early to claim that Bruce will create a dynasty but I wouldn't say it's too early to see that this team is improved.

What you say holds true if people wanted to claim we are going to the super bowl but just by watching the team, I can easily see that we have depth that we haven't had in a long time.  It's too early to claim that Bruce will create a dynasty but I wouldn't say it's too early to see that this team is improved.

Again, we played 2 of the worst teams in football.  If Philly lays a 42-0 drubbing or something obnoxious on us which they have been known to do, you won't be singing that same tune.  Why not wait and see for once.  Why do we always want to crown ourselves with attaboys.  We are .500 and beat the worst team in football with what some would call college level talent.

Do you guys think it's more Bruce or Scott Campbell, A.J. Smith, etc. ? Not that it matters I'm just curious if our FO people are finally "unshackled" or has Bruce just brought a really level head to the decision making process? Or a bit of both?

Honestly, wouldn't a lot of the credit go to Mike Shanahan?

my point is not that shanahan was a total disaster - in some ways, i think he was. i absolutely give him credit for the good players he brought here, but he also had plenty of head scratchers- maybe as many good moves as questionable ones, if not more. 

Isn't this the case with every team though? 

Again, we played 2 of the worst teams in football.  If Philly lays a 42-0 drubbing or something obnoxious on us which they have been known to do, you won't be singing that same tune.  Why not wait and see for once.  Why do we always want to crown ourselves with attaboys.  We are .500 and beat the worst team in football with what some would call college level talent.

I don't have to wait to see that the team has improved is all I'm saying.  I'm not crowning us anything other than having better talent top to bottom than recent years.  I will feel the same even if we get blow out this week.

Isn't this the case with every team though?

Sure. That was kind of my point. Shanny picked some good players (even Jerry Jones does that once in a blue moon) via draft and FA, but also had some major whiffs.

Nothing special.

But the way things went down the last year, I'll continue to take issue with people like Sheehan who exaggerate his accomplishments whIle ignoring his many failures.

I agree the Jags are awful but didn't they go on the road to this allegedly beastly Eagles team and put up 17 in a blink and without Cecil Shorts? WHat about the Texans? They went out and beat down a bad team and their D is no joke.  SUre Fitz is not going to get them a SB ring but that doesn't make them a bad team.

Your mistake, potentially, is in assigning quality based on last year's results.  This would have been like assigning 2011's results to the 2012 division champ.  You don't actually know anything about the Texans other than the roof caved in on their season and Schaub's career. 

Look at the Falcons the year before Mike Smith and after.  Didn't the Saints lose to the Browns?  Who is good this early that we know of for sure?

Archived