Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NFL Comprehensive Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I never said I wanted it to happen. Cooper is just starting to look more and more like the player who will be the best available when we pick. This team isn't going to be good by the time Garcon and possibly even Jackson are out of the prime and on the downside of their careers. Cooper will most likely be the pick in my mind.

I've gone on record being down for Hackett/Carter combo for long-term. Spell Carter with a Branch or Gilchrist in FA.

If you can get them in 4th/6th even better. I'll take the slow 40 times and go DL/OL/OLB with 3 first picks and call it a draft

I like Gilchrist, but Derron Smith is like a young Gilchrist and I think I'd love the Skins to draft him if they acquire a mid 3rd round pick.  There will be too much value at the top of the 3rd round to use on a safety.  AJ Cann could be available with our 3rd round pick.

I'm really starting to think our pick will be Amari Cooper. If we sign Paea or Williams that eliminates our need for a NT and pass rusher is quite deep in this draft. My money right now is on Cooper.

God I hope not.  We need defensive talent and a top OLB or NT would be amazing for our defense.  Ever since we moved to a 3-4 we haven't had a true NT or a beast OLB like a Fowler or Beasley.  Even if we trade down to around 12 we may be able to get Shane Ray, who has the quickest 1st step of anyone in the 2015 OLB class.  Yes, some don't like him, but I believe he will be a great player.

I don't know about any of you, but at this point. I only want one player specifically. and that one player is danny Shelton. danny Shelton or bust for me.

Yeah, he's my first choice, then Beasley and Fowler.  I just feel we need a true NT to make this D click.  I'm taking into account Leonard Williams being gone by our pick.  If he is there you need to take him.

Thinking out loud, and just throwing crap at the wall and seeing if it sticks @ 2am.......... if Williams, Shelton, and Fowler are gone. And we were unable to land Parnell in FA, and we could not trade down. There's a small part of me that would want us to draft that tackle Scherff (Iowa) and convert him to RT. Trust me, I know that's a HUGE reach. You dont take a RT that high

Sorry to drag up an old post and not knowing about the person in question this interested me

Why is taking a RT in the draft as a top 10 pick a bad thing?

I always thought it was because of the cap but with it being so high why would it be a bad thing now to have bookends like that? I would love an Olineman at that pick if there is an every game starter there. We havent drafted offensive line in the first round since Trent and thats too long to me

I'm really starting to think our pick will be Amari Cooper. If we sign Paea or Williams that eliminates our need for a NT and pass rusher is quite deep in this draft. My money right now is on Cooper.

If we were wanting a player who would not see the field much but could bring value to the team down the road like a wr on this Redskins team I would rather take Mariotta and triple down on finding our QB this year. Without a good one we are constantly building and building. Rookie WR will have a hard time pushing for playing time here

Best case would be we show that we have multiple young QBs on the team who are good and for trade. Steve Walsh was a first round pick one season and traded the next year for a number one and more picks. If I was a GM I would consider that right now.

Three chances is better then one and its a great time to make a pick like that. If he passes it could haunt him for future years if our guys dont pan out and he does. And possibly in future drafts too when he is looking for a QB wishing he took that other guy. Worst case all three bust out and its a bad first pick as a GM but no one could really fault him for taking a QB as his first pick on this team right now.

I think more would agree with the idea if this draft were more typical, ie. if there were any tackles deserving of a top 10 pick.

You're right though - the idea of two good tackles is tantalizing. Who knows, maybe we find that guy in a middle round (Havenstein, etc.)

I think more would agree with the idea if this draft were more typical, ie. if there were any tackles deserving of a top 10 pick.

You're right though - the idea of two good tackles is tantalizing. Who knows, maybe we find that guy in a middle round (Havenstein, etc.)

I guess I just don't agree with the philosophy of never getting first round linemen. Pukes have three firsts on their line and won the division its a good place for the team to look at and if its 5th overall that's fine with me. If there isn't an every down lineman who is top grade I understand. But we need to look at this logically and I don't hear many names being mentioned

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000340246/article/which-firstround-picks-have-most-staying-power

There is an interesting look at positional success when it comes to the NFL Draft that supports this.

The success rate is defined as looking at the number of players drafted playing a single game for the team that drafted them in the 6th year of his career charted over the 1999 to 2008 seasons. Offensive linemen rank 3-5th

LB - 0.63

TE - 0.571

G - 0.571

T - 0.515

C - 0.5

RB - .484

S - .467

DE - 0.4

QB - 0.393

DT - 0.382

CB - 0.31

WR - 0.25

If we were wanting a player who would not see the field much but could bring value to the team down the road like a wr on this Redskins team I would rather take Mariotta and triple down on finding our QB this year. Without a good one we are constantly building and building. Rookie WR will have a hard time pushing for playing time here

Best case would be we show that we have multiple young QBs on the team who are good and for trade. Steve Walsh was a first round pick one season and traded the next year for a number one and more picks. If I was a GM I would consider that right now.

Three chances is better then one and its a great time to make a pick like that. If he passes it could haunt him for future years if our guys dont pan out and he does. And possibly in future drafts too when he is looking for a QB wishing he took that other guy. Worst case all three bust out and its a bad first pick as a GM but no one could really fault him for taking a QB as his first pick on this team right now.

Selecting Mariota literally makes no sense if you're banking on Gruden being your coach. He has no interest in working with spread style QBs. He didn't want Kaep, he doesn't want RGIII and he's definitely not going to want Mariota.

I'm just speaking from what I see. The supposed interest in Cobb, trying to re-sign Rak, making a major run at Dan Williams and Paea. All of these moves signify Cooper to me. I'm just reading the tea leaves my friend.

I think we need to consider how Seattle and San Fran were built.  They didn't reach on qb's in the first, and they usually avoided skill position players early too.  Their early picks have focused on the defense overall and offensive line.  And they kickstarted their rebuilds with a big name fa (which will probably blow the minds of quite a few people who think the opposite).  I wouldn't be surprised if we continue that trend.

How many ways can I say no to this?

Irish - Ni

Shall I go on?

Yeah sure! You should go on, you left lots of languages down the road!

Still, thanks, now I know where the "Knights that sey Ni" comes from!

Back onto topic, Cooper, Mariota, all bunch of poor picks for us. Definately. And I'm also not sold on drafting an OLB at #5 because there's some interesting picks to get later...

So I'm still stuck in a three way option in the first round:

- NT. (Shelton / Goldman / Philips, the last two might fall into round 2 but it's not given.)

- OT ( La'El Collins, Peat, or even Scherff at Guard)

- Trade down, preferably with Cleveland for their 12 and 19.

I wouldn't mind Trae Waynes as a backup late first round pick.,It would make an interesting duo with Breeland, if Amerson can't get back to his rookie level.

This Draft is the weakest in years.  

Its strength is "edge rusher" and oddly "running back."    

Ergo, if Skins  stay @ 5, BPA becomes axiomatic.  

TB gets Winston and Tenn goes for Williams.  These are guaranteed.  

Jacksonville is wild card.  Jags (with Bortles) will likely trade Mariotta  to Cleveland, Jets or Philly ... then pick Fowler.  

Raiders likely will take White.

So if Skins go BPA ... they can pick among Cooper, Beasley, Shay, Gregory, Shelton or Waynes.

All but Cooper are flawed and not good values at that slot.  

Given it is bad practice to Draft for need in top five, my prediction is that Skins take Cooper or trade down (less likely).

It gets real interesting if by chance Mariotta is available @ 5, Skins must take him as BPA, in which case a very rich trade down becomes a real possibility.

Here are relative probabilities (IMO):

Cooper .... 75%

Normal Trade Down ... 50%

Mariotta Trade Down ... 80%

Keep Mariotta ... 23%

I guess I just don't agree with the philosophy of never getting first round linemen.

Except that no one feels this way. The problem is this draft in particular - that's why plenty of people have us trading back and picking up an olineman... at a spot where they have reasonable value.

Now maybe you are thinking of the belief that you don't draft a RT (or G) in the top 10 (unless you plan to move them to LT in the near future). Obviously a separate argument.

Can someone please explain why mock drafts have us going Shane Ray and Randy Gregory in the first? I am serious. I wanna know.

They are bpa that fit a need. Lot of experts don't believe in Murphy as full time starter.

There are no O-lineman or DB's worth taking at 5.

Cooper or White feels to draft experts as a "wasted" pick because we have DJax and Garcon.

In General people have passrushers ranked higher then NT. Thats why you don't see Shelton a lot. They think 5 is to high for him.

Yeah sure! You should go on, you left lots of languages down the road!

Still, thanks, now I know where the "Knights that sey Ni" comes from!

Back onto topic, Cooper, Mariota, all bunch of poor picks for us. Definately. And I'm also not sold on drafting an OLB at #5 because there's some interesting picks to get later...

So I'm still stuck in a three way option in the first round:

- NT. (Shelton / Goldman / Philips, the last two might fall into round 2 but it's not given.)

- OT ( La'El Collins, Peat, or even Scherff at Guard)

- Trade down, preferably with Cleveland for their 12 and 19.

I wouldn't mind Trae Waynes as a backup late first round pick.,It would make an interesting duo with Breeland, if Amerson can't get back to his rookie level.

Agree, there is a possibility that one or both of Eddie Goldman and Jordan Phillips fall into the 2nd round.  I'd seriously consider them if we don't choose Shelton with our number 1 pick.  If we trade down to Cleveland at 12 or 19.  I keep mentioning Cleveland as my preference as well (they may want White or Cooper) so it is a very good chance.  If we trade down we would still have a very good chance to land Brandon Scherff, Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, or Trae Waynes.  I'd wait till the end of round one for La'el Collins, but agree Peat is another middle of round 1 option.   Late round one early 2nd Ereck Flower RT is a good choice also.

It's going to be defense or trade down. Any other year I would agree with Cooper as BPA strategy but McC tends to draft defense or OL early and often.

Not necessarily. He drafted in the top 10 Crabtree and Davis during the 49ers rebuilding years.

Cooper just screams the profile Scot says he looks for in a player.  Don't recall where Scott said it but he said something to the effect of there are a lot of talented players in the draft but he looks for the guys that have that hunger to be great, the workaholic types, etc. That's how Cooper is described to a tee when you check out his background-profile.

At this point I just want us to draft a player who is the best immediate player at his position on our team(excluding K/P)

We have needs pretty much everywhere, let's just make sure we get a talent.

I think they should always draft bpa for all of their picks.  It is the best way for them to be a consistent winner.  That way when you have an injury you can let that player step in or when the player comes up for a contract renewal you don't have to overpay to keep him, just let the depth take over. 

Just look at what the Ravens do 30 miles north of us.  They have the most comp picks since they began because they draft pure BPA.  They sign the core players when they are up and let players to other teams, ie Ellerby, Adalius Thomas.  Another thing they do is sign players that were cap casualties, because this doesn't take away from the compensitory picks they could receive.  

Not necessarily. He drafted in the top 10 Crabtree and Davis during the 49ers rebuilding years.

Cooper just screams the profile Scot says he looks for in a player. Don't recall where Scott said it but he said something to the effect of there are a lot of talented players in the draft but he looks for the guys that have that hunger to be great, the workaholic types, etc. That's how Cooper is described to a tee when you check out his background-profile.

Crabtree doesn't exactly scream success as a pick, and Davis was before he was calling the shots.

Is Byron Jones worth it in the 2nd round?  Just see the ECU clip up and he was getting worked by Hardy that game.  I just wonder if he's a workout warrior or does he have the talent to play.  He definitely has the size we want.

I've been DL or OLB til now....but its shaping up like WR at #5 for my money right now too.

Archived