Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Good read.

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Trio-of-Young-Terps-Offensive-Linemen-Ready-to-Make-An-Impact-36166881

Trio of Young Terps Offensive Linemen Ready to Make An Impact

The 2014-15 season was a learning experience for three of Maryland’s most talented young offensive linemen. Damian Prince, Derwin Gray and Brendan Moore each redshirted in their freshmen year watching the Terps' offensive line struggle while making the transition to the Big Ten from the sidelines.

“Last year was definitely a blessing,” Prince said, a five-star recruit from Bishop McNamara (Md.) in the 2014 recruiting class. “It was the first year in the Big Ten. Even though I didn’t get a chance to play, I was still part of a historical thing. It was exciting. It was just good to be able to see and know what I’m looking forward to [this] season when hopefully I get a chance to get on the field.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

In fairness, Maryland fans for years said awful things about JJ Redick and many other Dukies.

College sports fans are obnoxious. I'm shocked.

And Duke fans chanted lots of stupid crap (including rapist) at UMD students.  Doesn't make it OK or right.  

Teams have been disbanded for these types of allegations (or don't you remember Duke Lax a few years ago).

Yelling at the other team, shouting airball or you suck is one level, rapist is completely over the line.

And Duke fans chanted lots of stupid crap (including rapist) at UMD students.  Doesn't make it OK or right.  

Teams have been disbanded for these types of allegations (or don't you remember Duke Lax a few years ago).

Yelling at the other team, shouting airball or you suck is one level, rapist is completely over the line.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/1/duke-fans-accused-of-worst-chant-ever/

i think choosing a 'worst basketball fanbase' changes on weekly basis. MD fans have a bit of a reputation, but i'm not sure they are worse than most others. 

i think we can all agree that few things are more annoying than a bunch of drunk, spoiled college pukes with a pack mentality and too much time on their hands. 

• Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Source-Trimble-Planning-Return-to-Maryland-36378513

Source: Trimble Planning Return to Maryland

Freshman point guard Melo Trimble plans to return to Maryland for his sophomore year, a source close to Trimble decision told InsideMDSports.

Trimble, who averaged a team-high 16.2 points along with 3.9 rebounds and three assists while leading Maryland to its first NCAA Tournament berth in five years, would only consider leaving if an NBA franchise were to guarantee it would use a first-round pick on him. That seems unlikely -- per sources, NBA feedback has him as a non-guaranteed pick somewhere in between the late first round and mid-second round -- and still wouldn't necessarily convince him to declare unless it appeared a perfect situation for a young point guard to be nurtured.

Trimble, a first-team all-Big Ten selection by conference media, also would be joining a deep pool for point guard prospects; Emmanuel Mudiay (China), Jerian Grant (Notre Dame), Kris Dunn (Providence), Tyus Jones (Duke), George Lucas (Brazil), Delon Wright (Utah), Cameron Payne (Murray State) and Terry Rozier (Louisville) are viewed as potential first-rounders.

• Like 2

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/In-Loss-Brantley-Saw-Terps-Need-for-Him-36379565

In Loss, Brantley Saw Terps' Need for Him

Maryland freshman point guard Melo Trimble had survived blows all season long, but finally, in the Terps final game of the season, he went down for the count.

Trimble took not one, but two shots that forced him out of the game Sunday night against West Virginia, and the second hit -- an accidental knee to the head from teammate Damonte Dodd -- forced him to sit out for good. He was consoled on the bench by his coaches, teammates and his mother, Kim Trimble, and it was later revealed he'd suffered a concussion.

With its only point guard watching from the sidelines and fighting back tears, Maryland’s chances to beat West Virginia’s ultra-aggressive pressure defense vanished. The Terps collapsed in the final eight minutes without Trimble, as Turgeon was forced to use former walk-on Varun Ram, wing man Dez Wells and an assortment of role players to try to advance the ball into halfcourt.

Turgeon had no one to whom he could turn behind Trimble for ballhandling, and so the game spiraled out of control. The possible solution to Maryland's point guard problem, meanwhile, was watching the game at Hooters in a small city in Texas. Junior college point guard Jaylen Brantley itched to get on the court while watching on TV in Odessa, Tex.

“It was pretty tough. Two ball handlers in the game at the same time is definitely a benefit,” said Brantley, who will enroll at Maryland in June as a sophomore. “It would have definitely been different. I’m not going to say we would have won the game because of me, but it would have been a different outcome probably if I was with them.”

Maryland survived and thrived all season relying solely on Trimble and won a program-record 26 regular-season games. Its season-ending loss marked the longest amount of time Maryland went without its point guard, who averaged nearly 34 minutes a game and led the team in both scoring and assists. But Turgeon doesn’t want to go into next year in a similar situation, and that’s where Brantley, a four-star recruit who committed in October, comes in.

With Brantley joining as a sophomore in June, does that leave him with 2 or 3 years of eligibility left?

Brantley has 3 years of eligibility.

One year felt like four here at Maryland #GoTerps Best year of my life. Anyone associated with UMD... Thank you. Love you.

• Like 1

2 months ago I thought Dez Wells was a surefire first round pick.  He was balling so hard, it was easy to forget how many great players there actually are in the college game.  I still think he will be a mid second round pick.  He has good size height and strength wise.  Needs to work on his shot and passing abilities.  He is best when he is going coast to coast with defenders trying to catch up to him.  When he gets in traffic he tends to get more rattled.  But with space he can finish with the best of them.

Dez is a small forward, trapped in a 2guard's body.

He was never a first round pick.

Edited by JoeWolf990
  • Like 2

please explain.

Guess you spend more time here than on WVU message boards or Fox Sports comments sections after WVU loses in football, especially to Pitt or UMD.

Everything from refs are bought, they have kids on the team, blatant cheating, etc.

While I don't expect you to have grapes in West Virginia, I'd call it sour-shine instead.

• Like 1

Guess you spend more time here than on WVU message boards or Fox Sports comments sections after WVU loses in football, especially to Pitt or UMD.

Everything from refs are bought, they have kids on the team, blatant cheating, etc.

While I don't expect you to have grapes in West Virginia, I'd call it sour-shine instead.

I must've missed the comment section the one chance I've had in the last several years to read about awvu football loss to either of those two. ;)

So you're saying wvu fans act like every other fan base after a loss?

Apparently you haven't visited the stadium forum after a loss lol

I do love my shine, but we got grapes too

Edited by Major Harris

Click to read the rest

http://wtop.com/ncaa-basketball/2015/03/maryland-women-carry-torch-for-local-teams-in-march-madness/

Maryland women carry torch for local teams in March Madness

WASHINGTON — If you’re a D.C.-area basketball fan, you may feel a bit burned out by all the early exits from area teams in this year’s NCAA Tournament. VCU bowed out to a lower-seeded team in the round of 64, while Georgetown, Maryland and Virginia all lost to lower seeds in the next round. But Maryland’s women’s team is still alive and well in their own bracket, and is moving on to the Sweet 16.

After dispatching New Mexico State by 18 points in their opening game on Saturday, the Terrapins took on a 31-0 Princeton team at the Xfinity Center.

What we saw Monday night only went to reinforce what coach Brenda Frese and this team have done, and why they’re worthy of our attention as a contender to make their second straight Final Four.

Princeton was no ordinary eight-seed: The Tigers were the lone remaining undefeated team in the country. And while they hung with Maryland for a half, the Terrapins overwhelmed the Ivy Leaguers with a lethal combination of offensive rebounding and pinpoint long range shooting to blow a close game wide open, cruising to an 85-70 victory.

“I do like the fact that we can go a lot of different ways,” Frese said of her team’s versatility after the win. “Within a game, kind of finding out where we can expose different areas, where we can go to our strengths.”

That versatility is a result of Maryland’s balance — they don’t have a single player in the top 250 in the country in scoring, but have four players who averaged between 12.1 and 13.7 points per game this season. They can go small, as they did against New Mexico State, or wear teams down inside, as they did against Princeton in the second half.

I must've missed the comment section the one chance I've had in the last several years to read about awvu football loss to either of those two. ;)

Alright Major.  Finally had some time to come in here and respond to some of your posts.  Do want to know why people have being giving you a hard time?  Because you were no where to be found prior to the game.  The only posts you had were on the 16th when there was a "possible" 2nd round matchup between the two.

It would have been one thing if you came in the day before or the day of the game and started a little trash talking. I would have no problem with that. Then, I would have no problem with you coming in after the game and giving us a hard time.  But you were nowhere to be seen for 6 days and then you wait until WVA actually wins the game to come in here and one of your first posts is "sour grapes." (See your first post in the next post below this).

You came in here after the game when people are pissed and expect them to respond nicely?  Maybe if you had have come in and said, good game or something to that nature, people wouldn't have flown off the handle. I mean, you're a Redskins fan, do you like it when Cowboys, Eagles or Giants fans come in 10 minutes after they've whipped our asses and give us the business?  You yourself said above, look what happens in the Stadium to Redskins fans after a loss.

Maybe I'm just too conservative of a person, but I've never gotten into trash talking before or after a game. Just not my nature and it doesn't serve any purpose.  I wouldn't go to another team's thread or website directly after a loss.  I've seen fans go into threads and sites with good intentions, but still get a wrath of **** from fans because they are pissed.

One thing I've learned in this site over the years.  Never go into the stadium after a loss.  Never post mad. I was doing that earlier this year in this thread and made myself look like an ass.  I find I need a cooling down period before I post.  Why do you think the players get a cooling down period after a game?  Emotions are high. 

I hope you don't think this post was because I was mad at you or think you're a bad guy.  You're one of the better members in here and a good poster.  I just think your timing was bad. 

Now I want a rematch. ;)

Edited by pjfootballer

I think that is just a recruiting ploy. Calipari has built a machine in Lexington and people are trying to figure out ways to undermine it. I don't think he is going to go back to the pros. I think he is going to have a long, successful run at the University of Kentucky.

Never underestimate a man's ego.

From various reports, Cal has always been irritated by the fact that he's viewed as an NBA failure.

Original Post:

I love sour grapes.

Follow Up:

So, what you are saying is that if someone posts a derisive comment about one team, as a fan of another team, is simply silly and expected by the other team.  It is something that EVERY other fan base acts like after a loss, so there isn't a real reason to post something negative about the losing team. 

OK, I guess my work here is done.

<waits to see how long it takes for a WVU grad to figure this one out>