Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

John Bucigross on ESPN with SVP, wearing UMD D-3 hockey jersey. with "1 Marine" on the back.  It honors the game the D-3 guys play vs a team made up of Armed Forces guys.

Great night and fun for all.

Thanks very much, Buci, from all Terps Hockey supporters.

Nice 30 point beat down. That's what you are supposed to do to scrub teams when you are a top 5 team.

Still bummed about that UNC game...they should have beat them. Seems as if Layman only shows up against mediocre talent.

He certainly is nothing close to what I was expecting as a basketball player.

Still bummed about that UNC game...they should have beat them. Seems as if Layman only shows up against mediocre talent.

He certainly is nothing close to what I was expecting as a basketball player.

Yeah, he's been horrible. Maybe this game will get his confidence and stroke back. Brantley finally looks like he wants to play and not be a spectator. Why doesn't Bender get a few minutes? I know it was against backups, but he looked good in his limited time out there.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Aazaar-Abdul-Rahim-Hired-by-Maryland-from-Alabama-41793189

Maryland Hires Washington Native Abdul-Rahim from Alabama

Aazar Abdul-Rahim has agreed to join new Maryland football coach D.J. Durkin's staff as a defensive backs coach, a source close to the situation told InsideMDSports.com.

Abdul-Rahim, a Washington native with strong ties to the local high school football and recruiting scene, built a high school powerhouse at Friendship Collegiate Academy (D.C.) before moving onto the University of Alabama, where he's spent the past two years in an off-field, recruiting-focused position. His addition is expected help the Terps continue their recent gains in local recruiting, and ease the blow of losing long-time local recruiting ace Mike Locksley; Locksley's departure hasn't been announced, but his return appears unlikely after Maryland athletic director Kevin Anderson passed on hiring him as head coach.

Abdul-Rahim, 39, starred at Dunbar High in the District before going on to play cornerback at San Diego State in the late 90s before eventually launching the unlikely powerhouse at FCA in 2004. There, he cranked out dozens of college recruits, including several that went on to Maryland -- NFL-bound defensive end Yannick Ngakoue among them -- and blue-chip national recruits like Eddie Goldman (Florida State) and Jalen Tabor (Florida).

Abdul-Rahim has long-standing relationships with multiple Maryland commits and could get the Terps back in play multiple four-star prospects who had been looking elsewhere. Alabama hired Abdul-Rahim as a defensive analyst in 2014, and he was promoted to assistant player personnel director at Maryland before this season. He was helping head coach Nick Saban recruit multiple Washington-area prospects and also coordinated some of the Crimson Tide's recruiting efforts in the south.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

I am so happy for Coach Rahim. He coached our High School up to a power house man. At last count, I think in the ten years he was there, we had over 100 players get scholarships. That's crazy.

Y'all just don't understand, we started with nothing. We had to wear used jersey's, practice on grass with hay, it was awful. I messed my knee up trying to make the team. But somehow, Coach built that team from the ground up. So to see Eddie Goldman get drafted last spring, and now this, I am a proud Knight this morning.

• Like 2

Really?  I thought everyone at UMD knew about "Curly" Byrd. I knew who he was within 5 minutes of starting a campus tour!

Loh's take on the renaming issue is interesting.  He is recommending a stadium name change, but also a 5-year moratorium on renaming any other campus buildings that feature people's names.  I assume the idea is to stop every building on campus (and therefore every major donor and historical figure in the university's history who is so commemorated) from facing gnat's-ass scrutiny and the ignominy of losing their named building.  

Which is not to say the racial scrutiny of Byrd is "gnat's ass" by any means.

Were universities truly profit-driven, this movement -- minus the moratorium -- would be a great way for campuses to dump their boring old-guy building names, and expand their lucrative corporate sponsorship deals from arenas and stadiums to the realm of academic buildings.  ;)

Edited by mjah

Dwayne Haskins is blowing off Maryland's big recruiting weekend and is taking an OV to OSU.

The writing's on the wall....

While that is bad, I think it only slows the rebuild a few years. Let's face it, there are no viable QBs on the roster right now. If these recruiting guys are as good as everyone says, they will get some good QBs in along with other good players.

A few years to rebuild? Are you kidding me? We need to compete NOW. After 2 years in the BIG the other teams and fans are laughing at us and saying, "I told you you didn't belong in this conference." We can't afford to go 2-10, 3-9 or 4-8 again. MINIMUM of 8 wins is required next year or we may as well stay at the kiddie table with Rutgers, Indiana and Purdue.

"There is no tomorrow." - Apollo Creed

Edited by pjfootballer

A few years to rebuild?  Are you kidding me?  We need to compete NOW.  After 2 years in the BIG the other teams and fans are laughing at us and saying, "I told you you didn't belong in this conference."  We can't afford to go 2-10, 3-9 or 4-8 again.  MINIMUM of 8 wins is required next year or we may as well stay at the kiddie table with Rutgers, Indiana and Purdue.

"There is no tomorrow." - Apollo Creed.

Seriously, screw Haskins.  He's a punk for going back on his word.  He can eat bag of ****s.

To be fair to Haskins, the Maryland he committed to no longer exists.

Edsall's gone and most importantly to him (and the other commits), Mike Locksley is gone.

I don't want to be fair. I want to win. He was our best chance. Now, as usual, he like many others sold out to go to a national champion. How are teams like MD and other teams supposed to get better and compete if these jackwads keep going to Ohio state, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc?

Edited by pjfootballer

Really?  I thought everyone at UMD knew about "Curly" Byrd. I knew who he was within 5 minutes of starting a campus tour!

LOL I don't know if they did campus tours back in my day.

I don't want to be fair. I want to win. He was our best chance. Now, as usual, he like many others sold out to go to a national champion. How are teams like MD and other teams supposed to get better and compete if these jackwads keep going to Ohio state, Alabama, Oklahoma, etc?

That is how it works in college sports.  Hypothetical.  If you were a number 1 QB in the country, which option would you choose?  MD, OSU, or Alabama.  If you chose MD, you would have 0 chance of ever winning the National Championship.  If you chose the other 2, you at least give yourself the best opportunity to play in the big game.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/12/8/9871734/dwayne-haskins-maryland-osu-recruiting-commit

Ohio State recruiting Maryland 4-star QB commit Dwayne Haskins, per report

Ohio State is recruiting Maryland four-star 2016 quarterback commit Dwayne Haskins, according to a report from Jeremy Birmingham of Eleven Warriors.

Buckeyes co-offensive coordinator Tim Beck had an in-home visit with Haskins on Sunday, according to Birmingham. There's also the matter that Buckeyes head coach Urban Meyer now follows Haskins on Twitter, which hardly feels coincidental.

The notion that Maryland may not bring back offensive coordinator Mike Locksley – Haskins's lead recruiter at Maryland – is what prompted the Buckeyes to dive in on Haskins, the report says.

Haskins recently took an official visit to Florida, although the Gators added another elite quarterback prospect shortly thereafter. The Buckeyes could be a threat, though. They've cultivated a strong reputation for developing quarterbacks under Meyer, mostly recently with J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones and Braxton Miller in the past few seasons.

Haskins has not publicly de-committed from the Terrapins. If that were to happen, it'd be a major blow. If that were to happen and then Haskins were to commit to a division foe like Ohio State, it would be an unmitigated catastrophe for Maryland.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

A few years to rebuild?  Are you kidding me?  We need to compete NOW.  After 2 years in the BIG the other teams and fans are laughing at us and saying, "I told you you didn't belong in this conference."  We can't afford to go 2-10, 3-9 or 4-8 again.  MINIMUM of 8 wins is required next year or we may as well stay at the kiddie table with Rutgers, Indiana and Purdue.

"There is no tomorrow." - Apollo Creed.

Seriously, screw Haskins.  He's a punk for going back on his word.  He can eat bag of ****s.

Man, what's wrong with you?

He's a kid.  A kid who is able to make a choice.  Would you have the same sour grapes of Diggs' bro decommits from 'Bama and comes here? 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1