Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yes it is harsh. But he continued to pledge his alliegence to the program and has been pushing the "movement" for months. So, we lose a mediocre coach and he wants to bail to the Gators? I would like for him to take a step back and wait to see who we hire as coach, before he makes up his mind.

This is his college career too. Maybe they get a hot coach and he decides to stay. He's a HS senior that just watched Maryland implode to mid-90's levels. No idea who the next coach is. He took a visit. He didn't de-commit or anything.

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2015/11/29/maryland-football-dwayne-haskins-wont-be-heading-to-florida/

We didn't lose a mediocre coach.  The allure of the program being on the upswing and the bill of goods he was sold collapsed in front of his eyes.  You would be crazy to be a top talent and sign with MD.

Edsall took a 1-AA team that made the jump to 1-A which is a pretty big deal. But he only managed a 70-63 record (.526) at UConn. I think MD was in the same boat as UConn at the time with the departure of Freigden who over-exceeded expectations.  Edsall is 92-97 overall. Mediocre.  We were in love with his Fiesta Bowl run which was stupid of MD.

True, MD has never been know for a high powered football program. We've had seasons here and there where we have competed.  I get the feeling that you feel the football program is a low level program.  I feel we've been a mediocre program that wants to play with the big boys.  Getting the program to that level is going to take time. While you say we "over estimate" the program, I think you go the opposite way and "under estimate" the program.

I'm not saying we should be compared to Ohio State, but I don't feel we are at Prairie View level either. Edsall was part of the collapse. Was it all his fault?  Of course not. But I just feel he plateaued with us. I'm not sure why you think top talent shouldn't come to MD.  They are doing everything to upgrade the facilities, they moved to a more traditional conference in the BIG 10 and get a lot more TV exposure then they ever have. Hell, I'm in ACC territory and when we were in that conference, I barely saw 4 of their 11 games. Now, I have seen all 24 games the last 2 seasons living in SC.

The next step is the coach.  It will go a long way to whether Haskins stays and if others want to come here. I just think you are way too harsh on the program.  Gotta give it a little time. I know I've ranted in here, but 99% of my ire was at Edsall. I hope you all have noticed since he's been gone, I don't get as worked up as I used to. Looking forward to us at least trying to get a seat at the big boys table instead of being Indiana and Purdue and being satisfied with 3 to 4 wins and a great BB program.  I want MD to compete in all sports in the BIG 10. 

This is his college career too. Maybe they get a hot coach and he decides to stay. He's a HS senior that just watched Maryland implode to mid-90's levels. No idea who the next coach is. He took a visit. He didn't de-commit or anything.

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2015/11/29/maryland-football-dwayne-haskins-wont-be-heading-to-florida/

I hope he decides to stay.  If he goes, we may be in trouble again at the QB spot.

Lockley isn't getting the job. Well, I wouldn't put that past Anderson. Though boosters would run for the doors. 

Edsall only plateaued after dropping the program lower than before he arrived.

Kevin Plank should be on a plane to go see Mark Richt. Is it likely he'd take this job? No. But you've got to try. Swing huge. 

D.J. Durkin apparently is ready to come to Maryland. Thought reports are conflicting. Got to scan those top B1G programs for assistants. 

True, MD has never been know for a high powered football program. We've had seasons here and there where we have competed.  I get the feeling that you feel the football program is a low level program.  I feel we've been a mediocre program that wants to play with the big boys.  Getting the program to that level is going to take time. While you say we "over estimate" the program, I think you go the opposite way and "under estimate" the program.

I am probably jaded as a MD grad.  I was at MD during the Bobby Ross days.  He wanted to make MD a football school.  We **** all over him.  He wanted a bigger stadium.  They committed and didn't follow through.  The school was a mess because of Len Bias death.  The Football program could have carried them during the awful time basketball had with Len Bias dying.  It was an ugly era and MD Football hasn't been as good since.

Fridge took someone else's recruits and coached them up, but then just led us to some garbage bowl games with his own recruits.

We have a LONG ways to go before we are a real program.  I doubt we can be one, the only hope is Kevin Plank.

• Like 1

Lockley isn't getting the job. Well, I wouldn't put that past Anderson. Though boosters would run for the doors.

Edsall only plateaued after dropping the program lower than before he arrived.

Kevin Plank should be on a plane to go see Mark Richt. Is it likely he'd take this job? No. But you've got to try. Swing huge.

D.J. Durkin apparently is ready to come to Maryland. Thought reports are conflicting. Got to scan those top B1G programs for assistants.

Plank and that Under Armour money is the only way anybody with that kind of profile would come to College Park. He's gotta be involved, and fairly heavily, IMO.