Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D-Day + 70

Slateman

For the WW2 buffs...

If D-Day invasion had failed, was that it? Could we have mounted another assault or would casualties have been too high? I know we were approaching from other fronts as well. 

Or, is there a scenario where the theoretical loss of life on both sides so great that even the Axis could not maintain their hold on the countries they had captured.

For the WW2 buffs...

If D-Day invasion had failed, was that it? Could we have mounted another assault or would casualties have been too high? I know we were approaching from other fronts as well. 

Or, is there a scenario where the theoretical loss of life on both sides so great that even the Axis could not maintain their hold on the countries they had captured.

There would have been other assaults.

The Axis was already at their breaking point. They were pressing people in to service. There's actually a really interesting scene in Saving Private Ryan. At the beginning, right after the beach assault, two German soldiers try to surrender, but the American GI guns them down. He and his comrade joke about it afterwards.

Well, the two German soldiers weren't speaking German. They were speaking Czech. Because they were Czech. They were trying to tell the Americans that they weren't Germans, that they were forced in to service and that they didn't shoot anyone. The Germans were forcing any able bodied man they could. The Soviets had bled them dry.

I've always wondered if D-Day happened in part because they saw that Germany was destined to lose to the Soviets and they didn't want them getting into Western Europe.

It was Stalin himself who insisted on the invasion, the only controversy in his mind was that it took so long to occur. He grew incredibly irritated with the west for not opening a front sooner

For the WW2 buffs...

The Omaha landing was a disaster. Thank God the Navy commanders took the initiative and charged ahead guns blazing to knock out the heavy defenses that were murdering our boys.

Archived