Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colin Kaepernick signs 6 year 126 million dollar contract w/ 49ers

soljaofjesus

See that makes way more sense.  The niners are on the hook if he plays at the level everyone wants their QB to play at.

My goofball comments above aside, I think the kid is pretty good - and has a ceiling he may or may not hit.

I'm glad, for once, a FO used their heads while signing a high profile, potentially crippling contract and the fact that it is voidable is compelling.

Don't understand the negativity surrounding this deal. This is on par with the rate for a dynanmic young starting QB that has already been to a Super Bowl. Guys like Romo, Stafford, Ryan, and Cutler are making this kind of money now and don't have the postseason success or upside of Kaepernick. This is pretty much like when Mike Vick got his first 100M contract and his passing numbers were shaky but everyone understood how good of a playmaker he was. His off the field activities ended up killing that contract not his play.

I'm confused on why this deal is that big of a deal?  How is he getting stupid money for being average?  The 49ers could essentially evaluate Kap every year and see if they want to cut him or not with $0 repercussions.  Regardless, he has a superbowl appearance, an NFC Championship win and a loss.....how is the man not suppose to get paid?  This is a very team friendly contract, if he performs, he deserves to get what this contract will pay and so far he has convinced me.  Kaep is NASTY and can win games with his feet and arm.

They said Kaep requested a small signing bonus specifically to give the 49ers flexibility and to allow other player like Crabtree and Davis to be signed.

The signing bonus was only $12mil on a $110+mil deal.

Lol, I love comments like these.

I would love to tell my boss ...

"Oh hey, I'll take my 110 million over 6 years. BUT, I will take my signing bonus in a small increments, so Mike and Vernon can afford their bills".

"Oh hey, I'll take my 110 million over 6 years. BUT, I will take my signing bonus in a small increments, so Mike and Vernon can afford their bills".

Totally off-topic and not meant to be disrespectful, but what is a cowboys fan doing on extremeskins lol with 8,000+ posts. Sorry, I am fairly new.

Yeah, the way I look at it, Robert is worth exactly what he's being paid this year, because he's under his current rookie contract, and not able to negotiate anyway.

I believe that the first time he's going to be able to negotiate will be after the 2015 season, but I'm not sure about that. Something about option years in there somewhere, but I think that the base of the rookie contract is 4 years with a possible 5h year option, then you can negotiate a deal. For first rounders.

I could be really, really wrong about that...

He's under contract for four years.  In the fourth year he can work on an extension/new contract.  However, if the Skins want to, they can activate the 5th year option on him.  Being a #2 overall pick, he would get a 5th year salary that is the average of the top 10 ten players at his position (QB) in the league (for draft picks 1-10) (picks 11-32 get a salary that is average to the 3rd thru 25th highest paid players in the NFL at their position).  

Here is a link from Bleacher Reports website that explains it:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1595987-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-nfls-rookie-wage-scale

Don't understand the negativity surrounding this deal. This is on par with the rate for a dynanmic young starting QB that has already been to a Super Bowl. Guys like Romo, Stafford, Ryan, and Cutler are making this kind of money now and don't have the postseason success or upside of Kaepernick. This is pretty much like when Mike Vick got his first 100M contract and his passing numbers were shaky but everyone understood how good of a playmaker he was. His off the field activities ended up killing that contract not his play.

ATL Vick could throw the ball 100000 yards in the air.........but not hit the receiver.  He was severely exposed by teams that could QB contain properly and keep him in the pocket and force him to throw.  Defense and strong running game (by Vick and 2 backs) is what made them successful in ATL.  

I'm confused, are you questioning the validity of what I said or just the nature of business in sports, as given in your example?

No offense, but I don't understand this logic at all?  It's the NFL and it has a salary cap, I'm not getting this?  Would have been better if he asked for a Tony Romo deal that basically leaves Dallas in cap hell the entire length of the contract because Tony gets paid ridiculous amounts of money for being average?  49ers have made the Superbowl, NFC Championship twice in 2 years.  What does Dallas have to show?

So in essence, you can tell your boss this "Hi, i'd like 108 million over 6 years, but I want all my money guaranteed so that way if I totally suck at my job and bomb this company, I still get paid!"  "I can careless about Dez and Jason or anyone on the team"

No offense, but I don't understand this logic at all? It's the NFL and it has a salary cap, I'm not getting this? Would have been better if he asked for a Tony Romo deal that basically leaves Dallas in cap hell the entire length of the contract because Tony gets paid ridiculous amounts of money for being average? 49ers have made the Superbowl, NFC Championship twice in 2 years. What does Dallas have to show?

So in essence, you can tell your boss this "Hi, i'd like 108 million over 6 years, but I want all my money guaranteed so that way if I totally suck at my job and bomb this company, I still get paid!" "I can careless about Dez and Jason or anyone on the team"

What I meant was, people always get caught up in the "Romo restructured! Helping the team! What a swell guy!" When in reality they are getting paid regardless.

Btw how is Dallas in cap hell? We have over 10 million in space right now.

What I meant was, people always get caught up in the "Romo restructured! Helping the team! What a swell guy!" When in reality they are getting paid regardless.

Btw how is Dallas in cap hell? We have over 10 million in space right now.

They are in cap hell every single year just like we used to be.  This offseason was no different for you guys either on the release of Ware/Hatcher.  Not even sure if you have enough in the bank to extend Dez as it is right now.  Romo did restructure to pull you guys out a bit though, I was more or less speaking on his first 6 year contract before he restructured.  Kap did take a very team friendly deal, and in reality it's what contract should look like.  The 49ers will have 0 issues paying Kap even towards the middle of that contract either.

They are in cap hell every single year just like we used to be.  This offseason was no different for you guys either on the release of Ware/Hatcher.  Not even sure if you have enough in the bank to extend Dez as it is right now.  Romo did restructure to pull you guys out a bit though, I was more or less speaking on his first 6 year contract before he restructured.  Kap did take a very team friendly deal, and in reality it's what contract should look like.  The 49ers will have 0 issues paying Kap even towards the middle of that contract either.

I think you're missing my entire post and my entire point.

I never bashed the deal. Or the 49ers.

When a guy takes 100+ million dollar deal, people say things about him "helping the team" etc.

My entire point was being humorous about it. Saying that if I were making that much $$$, I would have no problem taking a little less to help my team.

I think you're missing my entire post and my entire point.

I never bashed the deal. Or the 49ers.

When a guy takes 100+ million dollar deal, people say things about him "helping the team" etc.

My entire point was being humorous about it. Saying that if I were making that much $$$, I would have no problem taking a little less to help my team.

My apologies.  Point missed.

Even Kaepernick's tattoo artists are making bank now. Had no idea they had to get tattoo artists to sign off on this stuff.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24581342/madden-15-features-colin-kaepernicks-tattoos

he developers listened, apparently, and with the help of Kaepernick, got a tattoo artist to sign off on including the ink in the game.

"We want to be as authentic as possible, so we were pleased that Colin was able to secure the rights to the tattoos," Seann Graddy, senior producer of Madden 15, told ESPN. "There's a ton of buzz around this. In this game, we only have Colin's tattoos, but we'd love to secure the rights to the tattoos of other players in the future."

If you go by those stats they showed on Sportscenter tonite, he's worth it. He's a lot better QB then most give him credit for.

In a sense, you are right (about the stats)...but if you listen to him, he just sounds like an uneducated, dumb, and self-centered fool.

Now, I can't argue against his physical gifts, but when you compare his interviews to that of Luck, RG, and Wilson, you'll likely see that he's from Planet Dumb...

Even Kaepernick's tattoo artists are making bank now. Had no idea they had to get tattoo artists to sign off on this stuff.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24581342/madden-15-features-colin-kaepernicks-tattoos

That makes no sense. Why do they have to get the tattoo artist to sign off on it? I really don't get it

That makes no sense. Why do they have to get the tattoo artist to sign off on it? I really don't get it

My guess would be that any pictures created by the tattoo artist themselves are protected.  So, if we go to a shop and pick out a pre-drawn design or tell the artist what we want, he creates the drawing/artwork, you pay for the right to own a copy, its just inked into your skin.

Basically, they are grouping it in with artists/painters who do their work on a canvas, paper, etc.  most likely to avoid potential law suits from the tattoo artists.  I can ask one of my friends who is a tattoo artist and owns his own shop.  

In a sense, you are right (about the stats)...but if you listen to him, he just sounds like an uneducated, dumb, and self-centered fool.

I might give you Self-Centered but no way to the other two.

Guy had a 4.0 at Nevada, was All-academic twice, and got a 37 out of 40 on the wonderlic, which isn't very common even amongst QBs. Those other guys have stellar academic records as well but I'm not gonna sit here and call Kaepernick dumb.

I don't know about "worth it".  Kaepernick throws the ball less than just about any QB in the NFL.  He's got a great running game and a superior defense (3rd in points and 5th in yards).  His first year starting SF actually ran the ball 492 times and passed the ball 436 times (evenly split between he and Smith).  Not much is expected of the guy.  Griffin missed three games and threw the ball more than Kaepernick did.  Point is, SF passes less than most teams and their run game seems to dictate a lot of their game plan.  

Not to mention he's had some great receivers the last few years:

- Michael Crabtree

- Anquan Boldin

- Vernon Davis

I'm not saying he's not doing a good job, just that I think he's an over-rated passer, a great runner, and no one's asking him to carry the team on his back.  $126 million sounds like "carry the team on your back" money.  The other QBs who are getting that kind of money ARE expected to carry the team on their backs.  Here they are listed by money this year:

Aaron Rodgers ($22 mil/year)

Matt Ryan ($21 mil/year)

Joe Flacco ($20 mil/year) (another huge money mistake IMO, I'd rather have Kaepernick over him)

Drew Brees ($20 mil/year)

Peyton Manning ($19 mil/year)

Colin Kaepernick ($19 mil/year)

Sorry, but there's no way I believe Kaepernick is worth as much as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or Aaron Rodgers.  Hell, Ben Roethlisberger is getting $14.6 mil/year and he's got a few rings.

I have no real problem with the contract, after all, it's always good to see a rival (or semi-rival) screw themselves into a contract that may handcuff them from being able to keep or maintain their defense and other stars together.

Archived