Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help this first time Redskins Home Game Attendee

mrfixit28

Let me start this thread by stating I sincerely apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I do not start threads or troll this board.

I respect the rules, I just honestly did not see any other place to put this.

If this thread is better suited for a different place, please let me know and I will do everything in my power to delete and remove it.

That being said I decided after being a Redskins fan in St. Louis for a very long time, I need to attend a game.

I grew up in the Gibbs era. The St. Louis football team played in a baseball stadium and were rumored to be leaving town. I gave my heart to the Redskins and that never changed throughout.

Would some of the locals or regulars help me on what I need to do for this?

I picked the December 7 game because I had the best chance of my "local pride" friends to make the trek with me.

-Where should I stay? This is a 13+ hour drive and we are obviously going to make the trek Friday and stay 2 nights at least. I want to stay at someplace decent and safe but not something crazy priced and overzealous. We just need beds to be honest. I dont need a fridge and kitchenette by any means.

-Is there a place to tailgate for a bit? What do you guys recommend?

-Where should I go for the nightlife? I want to be able to see places I need to see with 3 other guys that just want to enjoy our weekend.

I appreciate it.

I know my post count isnt as high as some, but I try to keep the useless posts to a minimum.

HTTR

There are several hotels near the stadium. Some near the stadium and others closer to college park, which is still pretty close (about 8 exits) off of 495 (the beltway). It depends on if you want to go downtown. What rate you want to spend. I'd go on hotels.com to check rates of hotels near the stadium.

DC has a very good nightlife, just ask Fred Davis. If you wanted you could probably save money by staying in the hotels near college park (univ of md) and taking metro to DC. You may be better off driving downtown as metro may stop running before the bar scene does. Someone else may be better off answering this than I.

I live in Cincinnati (lived in DC for 20 years) and go to at least one game a year for over 15 years now.

We always stay in Rockville, MD. Prices are cheaper and its nice when you are leaving on Monday Morning since the traffic is going the other way. We tried staying in Silver Spring one year and got caught in a two hour back up on the beltway while trying to leave Monday morning - that was hell.

We have been staying at the Best Western in Rockville, right next to I-270. about $90/night, free parking and free breakfast. You can jump on and off the expressway easily. Lots of dining options within a few minutes drive.

We used to stay on Rockville Pike, which has allot of restaurants within walking distance. Nice when you are drinking but they charged for parking and no free breakfast.

We usually leave around 730 am for the game on Sunday (if its at 1pm) and hit a Safeway for tailgaiting food and make it to the stadium before 9am to get a good spot.

The only **** is traffic after the game but we have never had that bad a time to be honest. It usually flows out pretty well. And then we hit Ledo's in College Park for an after game Pizza - my favorite DC pie.

Def. recommend getting a parking pass for tail gaiting... the stadium store has the best supply of skins gear.

This year we are going to the Jaguars game (1st home game). The nats are not in town that weekend... but maybe you will get lucky and the CAPs or Bullets will play Sat night....

Actually traffic is going into the city whether you live in Rockville or silver spring. Now if he is in Rockville he will be closer, but not that much.

Monday traffic isn't always heavy, especially in he summer with schools out. The government is on a 9 day schedule with some people taking Mondays and others taking Fridays off.

I live close to Rockville btw.

-Is there a place to tailgate for a bit?

:lol:

Yes, yes there is. Keep your eye on this board for the Extremeskins tailgate thread.  You'll never taigate with a better bunch of 'skins fan.  We'll see you on Dec. 7, my friend. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The (World Famous) ES Tailgate is in E43.  If you are traveling in, you probably don't want to bring food to the tailgate, so a bottle of an adult beverage is always welcome (bonus points if you bring something unique/special from where you live).

If you want to stay somewhere safe, stay here:

Comfort Inn Conference Center

4500 Crain Hwy., Bowie, MD, US, 20716

Phone: (301) 464-0089

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-bowie-maryland-MD066?source=gglocaljn

It about 20 minutes to the Stadium and if you want to go into DC, I'd suggest driving to the new carollton metro station about 10 minutes away and taking the metro in.  Having to deal with DC traffic and parking will surely ruin your trip, so better to play it safe.  Metro takes you everywhere you'll want to see.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

My trip was a ton of fun (although the game just plain was not). I dont think people who say the Redskins stadium is bad have ever seen the Edward Jones dome because Fedex Field was superb.

I am going again next year without a doubt. 

I didnt make it to the tailgate but with definitely be coming to it next year. 

Sorry I was rushed that week and forgot the section.

Most people's opinions on Fedex come from the experience inside really. But most of the negatives about it have the most to do with security, parking, etc. Fights break out there on a regular basis, and security is almost ALWAYS incredibly slow to react if they have the people to stop it. And getting out of there after a game is a joke. Lol I mean literally too. At this point we just fire the grill back up and chill while we laugh at everyone sitting still and honking, knowing damn well they aren't going to move for at least an hour or two.

The stadium itself falls into this weird gray area of old school style no frills crossed with some features of the more modern stadiums.

Archived