Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving to D.C.

Reign

I've decided to take a job working at the State Department.

My wife is from the Maryland area, and we've been looking at places to live and are looking for suggestions.   We haven't fully settled on if we are going to live in MD or VA.   I know I'll be working near the Mall in D.C. and we're looking at good schools (7, preferably 8 or higher school rating).   I also don't want the worst commute in the world (Then why am I moving?  haha).

Basically, we don't want to live too far out.  We've been looking at the Olney/Gaithersburg/North Potomac area for MD, or the South Riding/Brambleton/Ashburn area for VA as being the furthest we would like to go.

What are your thoughts on the traffic in the area.   I've been told (and I hope not to offend anyone) to stay away from PG county, particularly because of the school system.

Let me know what you guys think. 

(I can finally use my season tickets again soon!  YAY!)

well then you don't want to live in Ashburn if you don't want a bad commute. Live in the District or Arlington. 

Where's he going to live in the district (affordably) with public schools that are ranked 7 or higher? 

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget? Because if it's healthy, then Arlington would be a good option. 

One consideration is western PW county (Haymarket, Bristow, Gainesville).  Excellent schools, affordable homes, and you could take the VRE from Manassas to DC. 

Where's he going to live in the district (affordably) with public schools that are ranked 7 or higher? 

If you don't mind me asking, what's your budget? Because if it's healthy, then Arlington would be a good option. 

One consideration is western PW county (Haymarket, Bristow, Gainesville).  Excellent schools, affordable homes, and you could take the VRE from Manassas to DC. 

We've been told we can go up to around 700k, but would like to keep it around 550ish..  willing to budge a little.

It's a little hard for us, we're moving from a 3200 sq ft, 3 car garage house here in San Antonio (Cowboys suck!), but moving there we're noticing we can have a nice house/nice yard/nice school/less than an hour commute....   Pick two! Maybe 3  :)

Don't live in VA the commutes are hell. Make sure that you live in the inner loop it makes life much easier. I'm from Takoma Park and I hated it there because there are too many middle aged hippies but I'd suggest it. 5 minute walk from the DC line, really close to a metro. In the inner loop. Mo county so nice schools and not too much crime. The only bad thing about Takoma Park is the property tax is sky high.

We've been told we can go up to around 700k, but would like to keep it around 550ish..  willing to budge a little.

It's a little hard for us, we're moving from a 3200 sq ft, 3 car garage house here in San Antonio (Cowboys suck!), but moving there we're noticing we can have a nice house/nice yard/nice school/less than an hour commute....   Pick two! Maybe 3  :)

Ahh, ok. 

I'd also reccommend schooldigger.com.  You can get test scores amongst other things on there.  It's good to compare stats between them and Greatschools.com. 

You might be able to find a fixer-upper in N.Arlington in the 550-650 range. 

Parts of Alexandria will fit your budget, but REALLY research the neighborhood schools.

Ashburn, is a possibility as well out in Loudoun....but your commute will be much worse than it would if you were living in Arlington. 

If you can tolerate a longer commute, there is always western PW county.  Access to the VRE isn't far, and you can take that right into DC w/o having to worry about carpooling or driving. 

No joke, everytime I watch HGTV and they feature properties in Texas, I flat out suck my teeth LOL.  SO much house for SO little $. 

Yeah, I'm just trying to judge things like Metro trips.  Is it better when commuting from VA to stop at a metro and ride that the rest of the way in?  Similarly with from Maryland. 

I've done the trip planner, and the metro trip guides, but was looking for real world experience.

I've decided to take a job working at the State Department.

My wife is from the Maryland area, and we've been looking at places to live and are looking for suggestions.   We haven't fully settled on if we are going to live in MD or VA.   I know I'll be working near the Mall in D.C. and we're looking at good schools (7, preferably 8 or higher school rating).   I also don't want the worst commute in the world (Then why am I moving?  haha).

Let me know what you guys think. 

Check out Neighborhood Scout .  Friend of mine used it to help in their search and found it useful.  You can search crime stats, schools, etc. 

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/

Yeah, I'm just trying to judge things like Metro trips. Is it better when commuting from VA to stop at a metro and ride that the rest of the way in? Similarly with from Maryland.

I've done the trip planner, and the metro trip guides, but was looking for real world experience.

I live in Prince William Co., and honestly, if you can do it, the number 1 best commute from VA is to is pick up 'slugs' at a commuter lot and take the I-95 HOV in.

in what sense is PG County becoming DC North?

PG County has lower than hte rest of the region rates on homes where its as nice as the spots in Montgomery and Fairfax county, etc.

Anyway, I would live in Montgomery County. Great school system.

PG County has lower than hte rest of the region rates on homes where its as nice as the spots in Montgomery and Fairfax county, etc.

Anyway, I would live in Montgomery County. Great school system.

I think the problem w/ PG is the schools.  Unless you go private, the public schools are some of the worst in the nation. 

However, you can get a lot of space in your home or land for a VERY cheap cost. 

You know all those neighborhoods that have gotten shut down in DC? Guess where they are going? Straight to PG. District Heights, Suitland, Seat Pleasent, Brandywine/Waldorf, Palmer Park, etc. it's getting crazier out there. I mean it's not THAT bad, but I could see it getting there soon unfortunately.

Meanwhile, DC is getting better though as a result.

You know all those neighborhoods that have gotten shut down in DC? Guess where they are going? Straight to PG. District Heights, Suitland, Seat Pleasent, Brandywine/Waldorf, Palmer Park, etc. it's getting crazier out there. I mean it's not THAT bad, but I could see it getting there soon unfortunately.

Meanwhile, DC is getting better though as a result.

Um, those neighborhoods were always that way. Its not new.

And poor people from DC are not getting homes in Brandywine and Waldorf.

If anything, PG County is pricing out poor folks too. A lot of this is just PG County stereotyping that has plagued the county since White Flight happened in the early 80s.

If you want to get on the school system, I am fine with that but dont say stuff that you hear 3rd hand.

Yeah, I'm just trying to judge things like Metro trips.  Is it better when commuting from VA to stop at a metro and ride that the rest of the way in?  Similarly with from Maryland. 

I live in mclean, and bike in right by Main State during the spring-summer-fall... it is a nice ride, almost entirely on bike trails.   If you live in Arlington/Falls Church/ Alexandria/Mclean (inside the beltway), it will be much more convenient of a commute-- (Main State is basically right across Roosevelt bridge from Arlington) --- whether you bike drive or metro.  Orange (mclean/n. arlington/falls church/vienna) Blue (alexandria/s. arlington), and silver (tysons- soon/and then eventually out to dulles) lines all stop at foggy bottom, and would be an easy train ride. 

I know people who, after years of experience with the area, did the cost-benefit analysis and figured out that a commute from WVA or even southernmost PA is the ticket.  

I am not recommending this.  The reality is something you must learn for yourself.  I mean, you laugh now at the thought.  Good then.   And as time takes its inevitable toll, and the day comes when you look around ask yourself  "am I really paying all this extra in every conceivable facet of my existence to live in this vomit pit (the "county" that borders D.C. to the north) to save a few minutes on my commute?" you'll find yourself scouting for real estate a little farther out. 

If you're determined above all else to wallow in an open sewer because you have a serious problem,  then just move to the District proper.  WHY head for olney/gaithersgarbage  and add time to your travel when in fact you're just moving within the same stretch of an undifferentiated smear of pure degeneracy?

Should you resist all reason and decide to reside in this hole then expect something of an ethereal laugh-track to accompany your every moment of discomfiture and pain.  Because you've been warned.

velocet

I know people who, after years of experience with the area, did the cost-benefit analysis and figured out that a commute from WVA or even southernmost PA is the ticket.  

I am not recommending this.  The reality is something you must learn for yourself.  I mean, you laugh now at the thought.  Good then.   And as time takes its inevitable toll, and the day comes when you look around ask yourself  "am I really paying all this extra in every conceivable facet of my existence to live in this vomit pit (the "county" that borders D.C. to the north) to save a few minutes on my commute?" you'll find yourself scouting for real estate a little farther out.

If you're determined above all else to wallow in an open sewer because you have a serious problem,  then just move to the District proper.  WHY head for olney/gaithersgarbage  and add time to your travel when in fact you're just moving within the same stretch of an undifferentiated smear of pure degeneracy?

Should you resist all reason and decide to reside in this hole then expect something of an ethereal laugh-track to accompany your every moment of discomfiture and pain.  Because you've been warned.

velocet

Well then, aren't you just one big ray of sunshine.

Um, those neighborhoods were always that way. Its not new.

And poor people from DC are not getting homes in Brandywine and Waldorf.

If anything, PG County is pricing out poor folks too. A lot of this is just PG County stereotyping that has plagued the county since White Flight happened in the early 80s.

If you want to get on the school system, I am fine with that but dont say stuff that you hear 3rd hand.

I take it that PG is important to you, and you'll know more about it than me... But I don't have third hand knowledge of PG. Like I said, I'm moving out there soon. If it's one place I know about other than DC, it's PG. And honestly, is getting harder and harder to tell the two apart.

Not many good things happen in PG. I hate to beat up on it but it doesn't really have many things going for it. Schools are crappy unless you go private, the clubs are crappy, the police are notorious for being poorly trained, slightly more crime and a lot of poor people.

It just has no where to hang out. It's full of like a bunch of Wheaton like areas. That's why people in PG always go out to D.C. or Montgomery. Only thing in PG is sketch strip clubs.

I take it that PG is important to you, and you'll know more about it than me... But I don't have third hand knowledge of PG. Like I said, I'm moving out there soon. If it's one place I know about other than DC, it's PG. And honestly, is getting harder and harder to tell the two apart.

Come to Bowie, Mitchellville, or Glenn Dale.   

Not many good things happen in PG. I hate to beat up on it but it doesn't really have many things going for it. Schools are crappy unless you go private, the clubs are crappy, the police are notorious for being poorly trained, slightly more crime and a lot of poor people.

It just has no where to hang out. It's full of like a bunch of Wheaton like areas. That's why people in PG always go out to D.C. or Montgomery. Only thing in PG is sketch strip clubs.

What are you talking about? I have lived in PG my entire life and they are behind the curve but PG people are starting to stay in the county because of National Harbor and other new areas that are popping up. 

I live near Mt. Vernon.  If you want good schools, try south of Alexandria between the GW Parkway and Route 1.  Schools are Fairfax County.  Too bad I don't have my house ready for sale yet. PM me if you want some info about where I live.  The commute into DC is relatively easy.

Taxes in VA are light compared to Maryland.  I've live in both and hate Maryland financials.  Yes there is personal property tax in VA and you have to have your vehicles inspected every year, but insurance rates are lower, no city taxes, state tax rates are lower.

Archived