Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Offensive Line Thread

KingGibbs

With rumors of the offensive line being as followed, what is your opinion, feelings, anecdotes?

LT-Silverback

LG-Lauvao

C-Lichensteiger

RG-Chester

RT-Polumbus

I find it hard to believe as bad as our OL was at times last year that the right side of the line will remain the same. Is it possible that Monty was so bad that it just created a domino effect? This is where you Kdwag come in. Study that film from last year buddy. Please. :)

With rumors of the offensive line being as followed, what is your opinion, feelings, anecdotes?

LT-Silverback

LG-Lauvao

C-Lichensteiger

RG-Chester

RT-Polumbus

I find it hard to believe as bad as our OL was at times last year that the right side of the line will remain the same. Is it possible that Monty was so bad that it just created a domino effect? This is where you Kdwag come in. Study that film from last year buddy. Please. :)

Surprising that Chester is still here actually. Doubt he will start. He was 99% of the struggles on the right side from what I saw on film, Polumbus was quite good at times. Rg3 was a big big part of the incompetence too, more so than anyone on the line.

To be honest I doubt very much that'll be our day 1 line-up. We're not done with FA yet. I still hold out hope that we sign Brian de la Puente & Ryan Harris. As far as T's goes there are some options out there like perhaps Eric Winston, Levi Brown, J'Marcus Webb, Dennis Roland (Gruden had him in Cincy) & Winston Justice. The list is too long for C's but I'm sure we can...& will...do better than Litch.

HTTR!!! 

Chester is only still here because while the team may like Gettis they need to see more from him, Ribs is a big fat question mark (though reportedly has slimmed to a regular question mark, for now anyway), so the team is simply holding on to the vet until something better comes along. Same goes for Polumbus.

I highly doubt both Chester and Polumbus are starting week 1. 

Trent, Lauvao, and Kory are likely the starters. Kory is a good C by all reports and Lauvao should at least be serviceable, and also has room to improve, playing between Trent and Kory and having RG3 healthy at QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a RT that took the starting job from Polumbus in camp and Gettis took the job from Chester.

Week 1 OL: Trent, Lauvao, Kory, Gettis, rookie honestly is fine by me.

Chester is only still here because while the team may like Gettis they need to see more from him, Ribs is a big fat question mark (though reportedly has slimmed to a regular question mark, for now anyway), so the team is simply holding on to the vet until something better comes along. Same goes for Polumbus.

I highly doubt both Chester and Polumbus are starting week 1. 

Trent, Lauvao, and Kory are likely the starters. Kory is a good C by all reports and Lauvao should at least be serviceable, and also has room to improve, playing between Trent and Kory and having RG3 healthy at QB.

I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a RT that took the starting job from Polumbus in camp and Gettis took the job from Chester.

Very well said. For some people, it seems like the grass is always greener when it comes to less than spectacular starters and young backups. But in numerous occasions across the league, you see backups playing exceptionally bad. Bradley Sowell is a perfect example of this. They shipped out Levi Brown in hopes of Sowell stepping up, a move similar to what many are calling for with Gettis/Lerib and Chester. Yet not only was Sowell not up to the challenge, he was actually worse than Levi Brown was before (which is saying ALOT). So while in a perfect world Chester would be off the team and one of the younger guys would step in, it isn't always practical, and as much as me and many others hate to think that Chester and or Polumbus will start next year, it is a very real possibility. 

It seems many had not singled out Chester to be THE problem with the OL until that Giants game. I defended him as much as anybody but wasn't aware of his stat line at the time. I used my eye test and thought C and LG were just as bad as Chester. All 3 needed upgrades more than just Chester. 

Overall year stats seem to be vulnerable to a few bad games.  Trent gave up 9 sacks himself, some guys just have others numbers. Play DC. Which side would you attack from? Do OL stats reflect that most blitzes came on his side? 

Some seem quick to point out RG3 for causing some sacks. Couldn't the same rules be applied to hurries, knockdowns etc? I would be curious to see all the OL RG3 adjusted stats e.g. holding the ball too long.

I am not sold on Kory at C. How do his numbers look from when he was a full time NFL C?  I am happy to hear he is bulking up but hope there is competition for C RG and RT. 

Someone from our backup group last season should be able to help and I not sold its at RG or no where.

Remember when you told me to not really worry about him, because he didn't play a lot? Seems to be still a good option...........

I actually don't remember. Maybe I did, idk. All he really would be is a camp body who could possibly make the team as a backup. He has plenty of physical talent, so he deserves a 2nd look. 

Some seem quick to point out RG3 for causing some sacks. Couldn't the same rules be applied to hurries, knockdowns etc? I would be curious to see all the OL RG3 adjusted stats e.g. holding the ball too long.

Trent: 8 sacks 6 hits 21 hurries

Polumbus: 4 sacks 9 hits 28 hurries

Monty: 2 sacks 3 hits 17 hurries

Lictensteiger: 2 sacks 5 hits 22 hurries

Chester: 3 sacks 4 hits 38 hurries

RG3: 10 sacks 1 hit 2 hurries

Those were the stats I found. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't think we will release Polumbus, but he will have to fight it out with somebody we draft. We still could release Chester, but I think our FO wants to keep him here for depth purposes. I surely hope he still isn't our starting RG, however he would be a manageable backup. I would love to see Gettis win that spot and prove he's worthy.

They just said on 980 that they are planning to have the OL as stated in my OP. Obviously things can change, but why announce anything right now? Let the competition during OTA's, mini-camp and TC determine the outcome. Which most likely it will.

I've not seen Lichtensteiger play center so I can't comment and I've only watched Lauvao play RG where he looked ok. People with a lot more knowledge than myself have said that Polumbus improved as the year went on although I didn't really see it and I thought Chester was average in 2012 but declined last year.

I really hope that we don't go into week 1 with this line.

Someone help me out here since I'm usually at odds with the general consensus.

But:

1: Who started the whole Lauvao at "Left Guard" thing? - Someone from WaPo or Comcast? ... or ES?

Also:

2: Why is everyone running with that idea in abundance around here?

Probaby playing to the stereotype that left guards are good in pass pro and that right guards should be good run blockers.

Trent: 8 sacks 6 hits 21 hurries

Polumbus: 4 sacks 9 hits 28 hurries

Monty: 2 sacks 3 hits 17 hurries

Lictensteiger: 2 sacks 5 hits 22 hurries

Chester: 3 sacks 4 hits 38 hurries

RG3: 10 sacks 1 hit 2 hurries

Those were the stats I found. 

Interesting, thanks for posting

I am curious if there is conversation factor, such as 1 sack = 3 hurries, or 2 knockdowns type of thing.

We often hear and judge most players offense and defense by sacks / allowed. Sacks appear weighed more heavily. 

Archived