Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Offensive Line Thread

KingGibbs

McGlynn could be an interesting signing. It appears the physical ability is there, but questions regarding his commitment to the game have followed him around.

I still don't like the right side of our line and think it is going to be an issue for us. I'd like to see Compton supplant Chester at RG and come away from the draft with a good OT prospect.

I think the McGlynn signing is solely on Gruden. The move of Lich to C is on the recommendation of the OL coach, but my guess is that Gruden wants some back-up in place from the get go. I could see him at C and Gettis at G before the summer is out.

McGlynn could be an interesting signing. It appears the physical ability is there, but questions regarding his commitment to the game have followed him around.

Please don't comment if you don't know.  There are questions as to his physical abilities.  He has made it in this league as a blue-collar, hard-nosed player.

KDawg, any chance you could do a detailed analysis of Polumbus's play last year? People say he's improved, but "people say" ain't worth a pence.

He might have improved, and that's awesome and all, but it's all relative. If a guy sucks balls, of course he will "improve" as he plays more.... BUT, that doesn't mean he's good, or even going to be good. I'm the type of person where if there's a need to upgrade something important, I do it. I don't say "well, it's good enough!"

I have nothing against polumbus and think he's great depth, just not a guy in content with as our starting RT.

He might have improved, and that's awesome and all, but it's all relative. If a guy sucks balls, of course he will "improve" as he plays more.... BUT, that doesn't mean he's good, or even going to be good. I'm the type of person where if there's a need to upgrade something important, I do it. I don't say "well, it's good enough!"

I have nothing against polumbus and think he's great depth, just not a guy in content with as our starting RT.

Let me rephrase my post.

KDawg, you're one of the most knowledgeable and insightful posters on this board.  When you do detailed write-ups, readers get a 12-pack chilled and the grill going.  Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I'd really enjoy reading the geekspeak and stuff analyzing Polumbus's [expletive] improvement even if it's all relative.  It would certainly help in understanding what we might be looking for in the draft.

what questions ? you're making that up. he's been known as a hard nosed ,blue colllar player since he's been in the league.

Please don't comment if you don't know.  There are questions as to his physical abilities.  He has made it in this league as a blue-collar, hard-nosed player.

I've been posting here for the last 8 years pretty regularly. I don't just make things up - I believe I read precisely what I stated about him on Rotoworld some months ago. I cannot find the quote however and it appears I am wrong. It was an honest mistake.

Lighten up some geez...

Wasn't it mentioned that part of the reason Monty was let go was because is line calls weren't great? That could be part of the reason Chester regressed. As far as we know, he wasn't hurt.

I recall in 2011, the year Monty was a 'turnstile' that the issue into camp was the speed of his snaps; or rather the lack of his speed.  His snaps were so twice as slow as the average center in the league and that the coaches were working to improve that speed.  Anyone else remember this topic? 

But 2012 and RG3 made Monty look like a much improved center, but this was due to QB rolling left and right and the read-option.  So this past year, with a less mobile RG3, Monty reverted to the same ol' 'turnstile'.  

In defense of Chris Chester, from what i've seen he is REALLY STRONG. Nobody can push him down when running straight at him. The problem is when people get around him by using double moves.

Yeah, my impression was the stunts and blitzes hurt him more than the straight ahead rushers.

Overall, I'm not sold on our talent at G, but I have faith in the ability to field two halfway decent starters out of the group. Sort of feel the same way about C. I think the biggest differences to the line will be Gruden's quick passing game, Griffin's health/development and the improved WR corp.

I'm expecting the line to struggle (badly) at times but overall to hold up well enough for us to field a top offense (top 10 or better). Here's hoping anyway.

I think we will struggle the first half of the year, and start to play strong midway through. Luckily our division isn't very strong so it may be enough to get into the playoffs/win the division.

I wish we had a good enough team where we could take advantage of these years where the division is so weak..  I'm not worried about our offense, and ill comment on the defense after the draft but its the special teams that im really looking forward to seeing improve this season. 

I never in my life thought I cared so much about special teams before last season.  Goodness that was a disaster to watch.

Archived