Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean McVay is the new OC - Not Suprising

goskins10

ESPN is reporting that per his agent, Sean McVay will be the new OC for the Redskins. As expected, Jay Gruden will call plays. This should not be a big surprise to anyone.

I think it's a good hire. He is young and has a rapport at least with the TEs. With Gruden calling plays this probably makes the most sense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/113044/sean-mcvay-becomes-new-oc

EDIT: BTW - It also names Cleveland's Brian Baker as the new OLB's coach. I honestly don't know a thing about him to be honest

Should be a good hire. He has been with the Skins for a few years, knows the players knows Grueden, it should help to make a smooth transition. Not to mention, the tight end position has been a strength of this team since he has been here. With Earnest Byner signing up today as well, things are looking good on the offensive side, now it's defense that has most of us worried.

McVay seems to get a lot of praise from the players about being knowledgeable. Also seems well respected. Hope it works out for the young fella. Good luck Sean!

Sounds like Baker is a real LBs coach, should be better than Slowing and son.

Do you have any specific information on him? I looked but didn't really find a lot other than he played for Maryland.

I really like this appointment even though it was one that doesn't surprise anyone. Cooley said as does Paulsen that he is an absolutely brilliant football mind and he is very very young.

Now Brian Baker, now we will see just how much talent we already have here.....and it's very good as far as the line and backers go.

With this development I think Orakpo will have more incentive to stay here.

Bet we retain BO, RJ and Keenan Robinson, Will Compton and KImbrough turn out to be great depth. I think Kimbrough will become a very good LB quickly.

Maybe I am naive or just a hopeless romantic but I am getting the feeling that we are seeing the dawn of a dynasty in the making.

One thing I like about Baker as OLB coach is that he was a DL coach previously and that experience should help in this coaching role. 3-4 OLBs are typically converted DEs so having coaching experience at DL should be very helpful when coaching those OLBs through the transition.

Is signing Orakpo a priority now? Having two pass rushing OLBs might be a great thing.

Orakpo isn't the only good pass rushing OLB that will be a FA this year. Getting one is a priority, but Orakpo IMO isn't worth breaking the bank for.

Thanks, this gives me a little better idea about his background. It only goes to 2009. Anything discussing his more recent performance?

I mean I'm sure if someone would be willing to look up his coaching history then look at how the OLB did in their production (sacks, etc.) that year, we'd get a good picture of his record/capabilities.

I'm too lazy :lol:

I mean I'm sure if someone would be willing to look up his coaching history then look at how the OLB did in their production (sacks, etc.) that year, we'd get a good picture of his record/capabilities.

This past season in Cleveland was his first as OLB coach. Rest he has been DL. He is not LBer coach, but specifically OLB coach in 3-4 systems, so IMO it is an extension of DL coach so his achievements at DL are very relevant to OLB. 

Me too! lol  I am sure we will hear more as time goes on. Was just being lazy.

I guess there goes the hope that Haslett was going to be the LB coach.

Yup, thinking the same thing.

Every day that goes by increases the chances that he sticks and every defensive assistance position filled increases the chanses that he sticks as DC.  Blech!...

Going forward with Gruden as our HC...This is a somewhat encouraging hire, but it doesn't set me at ease about his "hiring process." I will reserve judgment in that regard until the process is complete.

All things considered, I have heard some really good things about McVay & his age is rather intriguing to me. Seems like someone who we can build into a future should things go south. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves...but a thought nonetheless.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/sean-mcvay-becomes-offensive-coordinator-in-washington/

When told last Thursday of reports that tight ends coach Sean McVay will become offensive coordinator in Washington, new head coach Jay Gruden quipped, “Nice, good for Sean.”

Indeed it is.

Via multiple reports, McVay has received the promotion from position coach.  It’s an unusual development given the team’s record last season; often, 3-13 gets the head coach fired along with most of the staff.  Those who stay rarely are rewarded.

McVay has been.  And at age 27 he steps onto the same fast track that former Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan occupied.

Aiding McVay is the fact that he has worked with Gruden both in Tampa and with the UFL’s Florida Tuskers, where Gruden served as head coach.

All things considered, I have heard some really good things about McVay & his age is rather intriguing to me. Seems like someone who we can build into a future should things go south. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves...but a thought nonetheless.

Everyone said the same things about Kyle. That worked out well when things went south :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/4777/cooley-redskins-rave-about-sean-mcvay

ASHBURN, Va. -- When they had a question, Sean McVay had an answer. That sounds simple, but it’s not. It’s one thing for a position coach to know an offense; it’s another to know what everyone must do – and their adjustments.

The Redskins' tight ends liked that McVay would know – and wouldn’t hesitate.

“There’s no indecision, ‘This is what we do; this is how we do it,’" Logan Paulsen said. “There’s no gray area in my life, which is fantastic. Making sure the player knows what he has to do puts us in a great position. ... You have certain coaches who don’t like when you ask questions. They don’t know the offense spot on.”

That’s why players would be happy if McVay is elevated to offensive coordinator for new coach Jay Gruden. Though Gruden said he will interview other candidates, McVay still is considered the likely new choice. He’s young, only 27, but he also has impressed players because of his knowledge of the offense. Gruden said he will call the plays, so that could make it easier for a young coach such as McVay to ease into an expanded role.

“His ability to digest a game plan and give it to his players in a streamlined manner allows us to digest us efficiently making sure to emphasize details that are important,” Paulsen said. “Every week he’d try to call plays without looking at the sheet. He knows what everyone has to do on the field. He approached it like an offensive coordinator. That’s advantageous to a player. He knows every detail the same way Kyle [shanahan] used to know the details. He has that big-picture mindset that helps out.”

Former Redskins tight end Chris Cooley played one and a half seasons under McVay.

“He had the highest understanding of an offense of any position coach I’ve ever been around,” Cooley said. “We’d go back and forth in meetings on scheme, why and how. There was always an answer. I love that in a coach.

“Two years ago I said if anyone becomes a head coach on this staff it would be Sean McVay.”

Players at other positions echoed what Paulsen and Cooley said. The tight ends often worked with the linemen in practice because they needed to be in tandem with their blocking.

“The relationships he has with players and what he gets out of a player with both effort and production on the field by not being a screamer,” Redskins guard Kory Lichtensteiger said. “He’s a guy you can relate to. He has a lot of shared characteristics with hard-working players. Players can see if a guy knows what he’s talking about and he goes about it the right way getting that type of effort out of his players.”

Everyone said the same things about Kyle. That worked out well when things went south :)

Of course we're talking about south in a vastly different context. In this universe, McVay isn't joined at the hip in philosophy & structure with his HC. I think, especially considering that Gruden will be calling his own plays & installing his offense, that if/when things should go south, that McVay is relatively insulated & immune from a broad-stroke blame game.

That's not to say he is completely immune...but he is relatively insulated in this regard.

He is basically a 2nd mouthpiece for Gruden's philosophy at this point & this is actually a very advantageous position to be in to learn the trade & gain experience at the HC/management aspect of the business. It's a perfect place to groom someone.

Archived