Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Caught in The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind

alexey

http://www.amazon.com/Caught-The-Pulpit-Leaving-Belief-ebook/dp/B00GYGF5B8

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19013078-caught-in-the-pulpit

What is it like to be a preacher who can no longer believe the creed?

In confidential interviews, clergy reveal how their lives of service are overshadowed by hypocrisy, as they contemplate taking a leap from their faith. As religious leaders struggle to adapt to the new transparency of the information age, the phenomenon of non-believing clergy portends surprising developments in the future of religious belief.

is this as new to you as the existence of the Christian Left?  :)

throughout history religious leaders have struggled with faith and doubts....it tends to happen the more you affirm or proclaim.(or when life throws hard fast ones at ya head)

those that believe in ,or affirm, little have less room for doubt or hypocrisy.

there are also those that view it as a job rather than a calling,which is starting on the wrong foot  ;)

He loves to grasp at straws. "Here's the end of Christianity!"

The stories of people leaving chosen careers is legion. Investment bankers leaving their careers to open a bakery. Lawyers leaving to become writers. Heck, even atheists find God once in à while.

The premise of the book is facile: person realizes what he have his life to, he no longer believes in.

And let it not be missed that, as one of the reviewers points out, that the authors want to point out that due to the small sample size that there is no scientific validity to what they write. A collection of anecdotes as best?

My sister in law put her kids on a special diet to cure him of ADHD, it's based on a sample size of one child. I'm not even joking.

Anyway, its silly to try to bash religion, with your usual I implement of science, when the source itself admits to not even being scientific.

There is a reason that there is an old saying like this: "if you can be content with doing any other profession besides pastoral ministry, DO IT!"

They said the same basic thing about both of the professions I've been in, and it appears to be a sentiment applicable to anyone who deals with talking to a lot of people as part of their work.  :lol:

It's hard work and it's even harder when people expect you to continue believing things that you no longer believe. I've heard some interviews, and some of the stories are heart breaking. People coming out as non-believers and their communities turning on them, their spouses leaving them, etc.

I have the ultimate respect for those that do, and prayed fervently never to be called.

Church people be crazy :lol:

After 12 years serving as a pastor I can tell you in all seriousness that is not for everyone. I read an article recently that listed the seven of the biggest stress factors in the life of a pastor, my wife and I recognized very clearly six of the seven in our own lives in ministry. It has a powerful effect over the long term. The one thing that I noticed about my time as a pastor is that the church culture changed me more than I ever changed it. A fact that is both frustrating and drepeessing at the same time.

That said, my faith is fully in tact and I am more firmly committed to my calling serve Christ in ministry through missions.

I read an article recently that listed the seven of the biggest stress factors in the life of a pastor, my wife and I recognized very clearly six of the seven in our own lives in ministry. It has a powerful effect over the long term.

Funny, in reading those they are the same issues I have in running a business.

I had the same thought. Every job worth doing is tough, the priesthood is far from unique in this regard

Business owners and managers certainly share a lot,but the hired help tend to clock out

It's hard work and it's even harder when people expect you to continue believing things that you no longer believe. I've heard some interviews, and some of the stories are heart breaking. People coming out as non-believers and their communities turning on them, their spouses leaving them, etc.

expectations are inherent in leadership positions,especially from ministers.,,,as they should be

are these examples guilty of deception?.....honesty is rather important in both spiritual leaders and marriages

Business owners and managers certainly share a lot,but the hired help tend to clock out

I think the thing that bothered me the most about being a pastor was the way that the church has turned into a business in an industry, specifically an entertainment and recreation industry. I honestly felt more like a cruise ship director than someone in ministry.

are these examples guilty of deception?.....honesty is rather important in both spiritual leaders and marriages

Honesty only works with acceptance. It is a rather tragic dilemma if being honest about your faith in the creeds means having your loved ones turn away from you.

Honesty only works with acceptance. It is a rather tragic dilemma if being honest about your faith in the creeds means having your loved ones turn away from you.

are they turning away from you or your lies?

requiring acceptance of something counter to creeds/doctrines is foolishness in the same manner requiring acceptance of infidelity in a marriage would be.

lying,deceit and expectation of acceptance in spite of them is asking a bit much.

requiring acceptance of something counter to creeds/doctrines is foolishness in the same manner requiring acceptance of infidelity in a marriage would be.

lying,deceit and expectation of acceptance in spite of them is asking a bit much.

So the person behind the pulpit has to continuously inform everybody of whatever thoughts and doubts they may have, this way they will be accepted if/when they realize they no longer believe the creed?

So the person behind the pulpit has to continuously inform everybody of whatever thoughts and doubts they may have, this way they will be accepted if/when they realize they no longer believe the creed?

That seems excessive :) ...... where would you say the line between entertaining doubt and active deceit lies?

if you realize you no longer believe something that must be affirmed in your position are you not culpable if you continue?

speaking for myself, once I realized I could not longer affirm completely abstaining from alcohol I removed myself from positions in the church. 

As you said earlier, for many it's a job as much as a calling. If your pastor is doing a good job of fulfilling his/her duties does it really matter what s/he believes as long as the flock doesn't know? After all, I doubt RGIII really likes Subway all that much even though he's selling it. Besides, if your reaction is any indication of the sort of love and understanding one could expect, that's all the more reason to stay in the closet so to speak. Losing your job is bad enough. Losing many of your friends and family on top of it would really suck. Try looking around you next Sunday. I'm sure there are plenty of your fellow parishioners who don't really buy into it all that much, just doing the dance to avoid the social stigma and preserve relationships.

Archived