Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Official

jhayunga

Did you see the Washington Post Sports section today. If you did than its all but official Spurrier will be gone next year. Spurrier placed all of the blame for yesterday's loss on the players. He atributed the loss to their lack of heart. We have seen this with the Capitals the Wizards and now once again with the Skins. This seasons performance clearly can not be the result of Spurriers coaching ability. It must be the players who show a lack of leadership and heart at the end of the last two games. With Spurrier placing the blame everywhere but where it belongs, It wont be long until the front office makes major changes in both the coaching staff and roster. I forsee big changes in the off season regardless of what we do with the rest of this season.:2cents:

The blame goes to both. If you had watched the game yesterday and saw Travis Henry run through half-hearted tackles,maybe you'd know that this team laid down yesterday. I agree,this team needs discipline. Didn't Marty try to lay down the law??? And when he did,what happened? A whole team mutiny. You can't just say that it's just coaching...the players deserve their fair share.

How many people at the beginning of the season were patting Spurrier on the back for his adaptability? All of the media dogs were saying things like "A Spurrier team running the ball?"

He has shown that he is adaptable and can learn from his mistakes. Spurrier will adapt to improve protection, and the players will respond by playing harder. I'd like to see players fighting in defeat, but that's just not realistic.

Spurrier will stick to his word and will leave if we don't make the playoffs by next year, as he has always said.

Spurrier's taken the blame nearly the entire season to this point. I fault him for not making enough adjustments to give us a chance to win games, and for throwing Ramsey to the wolves. But he isn't on the field, and ultimately the players have to take responsibiity for subpar efforts. I just don't understand some of you guys who want to give the players every excuse, but are willing to burn Spurrier at the stake. The salient question for me, the only question for me right now is does Spurrier WANT to be the Head Coach of the Washington Redskins? Does he want to gut this out and prove all of his critics wrong? If he does, I'm willing to give him a few years to get this organization fixed. As down as I felt yesterday, I'm stunned so many here have absolutely thrown in the towel on the Spurrier era. I'm not saying I'm convinced, even confident Spurrier can make it work at this level, and particularly in the NFC East. But for God's sake, we gave Norv Freakin' Turner a comparative lifetime appointment and we've had more excitement this year alone than Norv generated during his tenure.

I'm hurting and as angry as anyone. But I'm sorry, I find all of the calls for Spurrier's head to be a little crazy. Doesn't mean you're not a fan. I just don't understand why so many here think YET ANOTHER coaching change is JUST WHAT WE NEED? What we need is some stability, some patience, and not to lose control of this train. I understand no one wants to hear that. But I think we're kidding ourselves that more chaos will lead us to the promised land any sooner.

Such a day and age we live in.

In Washington, If Spurrier correctly calls out that his players are playing with noi heart or discipline, then he is "sure to be gone"...

whereas if Bill Parcells says that his team won't win a game and walks off the practice field in disgust, then he's "challenging his team."

Some of you ninnies really need to stop screaming about the sky falling in. EVERYthing is not a sign of the apocolypse.

~Bang

Originally posted by Tarhog

Spurrier's taken the blame nearly the entire season to this point. I fault him for not making enough adjustments to give us a chance to win games, and for throwing Ramsey to the wolves. But he isn't on the field, and ultimately the players have to take responsibiity for subpar efforts. I just don't understand some of you guys who want to give the players every excuse, but are willing to burn Spurrier at the stake. The salient question for me, the only question for me right now is does Spurrier WANT to be the Head Coach of the Washington Redskins? Does he want to gut this out and prove all of his critics wrong? If he does, I'm willing to give him a few years to get this organization fixed. As down as I felt yesterday, I'm stunned so many here have absolutely thrown in the towel on the Spurrier era. I'm not saying I'm convinced, even confident Spurrier can make it work at this level, and particularly in the NFC East. But for God's sake, we gave Norv Freakin' Turner a comparative lifetime appointment and we've had more excitement this year alone than Norv generated during his tenure.

I'm hurting and as angry as anyone. But I'm sorry, I find all of the calls for Spurrier's head to be a little crazy. Doesn't mean you're not a fan. I just don't understand why so many here think YET ANOTHER coaching change is JUST WHAT WE NEED? What we need is some stability, some patience, and not to lose control of this train. I understand no one wants to hear that. But I think we're kidding ourselves that more chaos will lead us to the promised land any sooner.

Umm, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not say anywhere in my original post that the blame is not to be shared. But we have seen multiple times in recent years in washington sports, coaches trying to shift the blame as opposed to trying to take a leadership role. The Caps have had a major turn around in coaching staff in recent years, the wizard saw the return and loss of MJ. both teams in similar situations before these changes occurred. And both teams saw major changes in both coaching staff and team rosters. I believe the same will soon happen with the redskins.

By the way 2004 would be finishing up the current contract for Spurrier

Spurrier has a 5 year contract, jhay. Runs through 2006.

He's said informally that if he doesnt' "get it turned around" in three, he'd likely step aside and "let somebody else" have a go, but that's not what the small print says. :)

Seems to me that Spurrier is taking a lot of bullets himself, not just putting it on the players.

It's on everyone's shoulders. Blaming one or the other doesn't make sense.

Unless there is a total collapse of the team, Spurrier will give it at least 3 years. The Redskins have had 3 consecutive poor halves - they haven't nearly totally collapsed, yet. A poor showing against the Cowboys and it might reach that point soon.

Hey, this is nowhere near the first five games of the Marty regime. That team got it turned around. The problem right now is confidence. They need a shot in the arm, badly.

Originally posted by The Wicked Wop

I think someone needs to by Blondie a drink

I don't need a drink.

I NEED

1.) A new boyfriend. (Send pics of brothers, cousins, uncles!)

2.) The Skins to gain momentum and win.

3.) The gun in your sig pic.

;)

Blondie

Blondie,

I am a faithfully married man, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much, but...

Any guy would be VERY lucky to find himself with such a beautiful, charming, witty, intelligent, blonde, latin lady Skins fan as you.

Methinks you shall find a MUCH more worthy suitor in no time! :)

Originally posted by Om

Spurrier has a 5 year contract, jhay. Runs through 2006.

He's said informally that if he doesnt' "get it turned around" in three, he'd likely step aside and "let somebody else" have a go, but that's not what the small print says. :)

What is interesting is that if Spurrier leaves after next year then we would never finish out the 3 year plan :laugh:

Originally posted by riggo-toni

Any guy would be VERY lucky to find himself with such a beautiful, charming, witty, intelligent, blonde, latin lady Skins fan as you.

Methinks you shall find a MUCH more worthy suitor in no time! :)

Truer words have never been spoken. ;)

Especially if it's at gunpoint. :silly:

Oh....right....the gun's for-------- K..... ;)

:cheers:

This is a dumb ass thread!! Spurrier will be here for at least another year. This team is 3-4. we've beaten atlanta, the pats, and the jets. This team did not give up when we lost to the g-men & the iggles by one and two points. Regardless of who brought in Bugel this is a Team effort. Spurrier just wants to call plays and see it execute without the offsides & holding penelties. It's clear he's tryied to address this with ref's at practice & fining players. And now he??? brings in a consultant To help him with the protection schemes. To many fans are jumping ship to soon talking about change in coaches after the season. That is just completly dumb. I believe we are a better team than the boy's,panthers, and the viks just need to protect the QB better, Joe can do that. Even though the buffalo loss was a team loss the defense deserves most of the blame. Their the one who gave up. I do expect some player changes after this season though.

Archived