Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Christianity Today: Fox News' Highly Reluctant Jesus Follower

Zguy28

Fox News' Highly Reluctant Jesus Follower

Of all people surprised that I became an evangelical Christian, I'm the most surprised.

by Kirsten Powers

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/november/fox-news-highly-reluctant-jesus-follower-kirsten-powers.html

Just seven years ago, if someone had told me that I'd be writing for Christianity Today magazine about how I came to believe in God, I would have laughed out loud. If there was one thing in which I was completely secure, it was that I would never adhere to any religion—especially to evangelical Christianity, which I held in particular contempt.

I grew up in the Episcopal Church in Alaska, but my belief was superficial and flimsy. It was borrowed from my archaeologist father, who was so brilliant he taught himself to speak and read Russian. When I encountered doubt, I would fall back on the fact that he believed.

Leaning on my father's faith got me through high school. But by college it wasn't enough, especially because as I grew older he began to confide in me his own doubts. What little faith I had couldn't withstand this revelation. From my early 20s on, I would waver between atheism and agnosticism, never coming close to considering that God could be real.

After college I worked as an appointee in the Clinton administration from 1992 to 1998. The White House surrounded me with intellectual people who, if they had any deep faith in God, never expressed it. Later, when I moved to New York, where I worked in Democratic politics, my world became aggressively secular. Everyone I knew was politically left-leaning, and my group of friends was overwhelmingly atheist.

I sometimes hear Christians talk about how terrible life must be for atheists. But our lives were not terrible. Life actually seemed pretty wonderful, filled with opportunity and good conversation and privilege. I know now that it was not as wonderful as it could have been. But you don't know what you don't know. How could I have missed something I didn't think existed?

Rest of article at the link.

The closer to God I am the happier I am.

I have a demanding job, so does my wife, and raising kids just adds to the grind.  When I focus just on my job, my family, and my kids (without God), I get cranky and depressed.  Life seems like too much to handle.  When I read the Bible, pray, read other spiritual books, and focus on living my life for God, I'm happy.  It's been a life changer for me, I just need to not lose sight of that - which is easy to do in this busy world.

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little after reading that for the same reason I did after reading the no faith in science article. Not even a token attempt to disguise the agenda in either one. For the latter I can at least say there was some semblance of intellectual rigor (not much, but it was there) but for this one it's basically "I was a wayward former Xtian liberal (AKA an ebil person) then I met a guy and got saved by his manhood" No explanation of her thought process, no reasoning, just "I heard a bunch of cool sermons, realized I was about to lose my boyfriend and then Jeebus spoke to me". [insert rolleyes smiley]

Ugh. I just threw up in my mouth a little after reading that for the same reason I did after reading the no faith in science article. Not even a token attempt to disguise the agenda in either one. For the latter I can at least say there was some semblance of intellectual rigor (not much, but it was there) but for this one it's basically "I was a wayward former Xtian liberal (AKA an ebil person) then I met a guy and got saved by his manhood" No explanation of her thought process, no reasoning, just "I heard a bunch of cool sermons, realized I was about to lose my boyfriend and then Jeebus spoke to me". [insert rolleyes smiley]

Right?  I classify myself as a Christian but I hardly ever go to church as I have some personal issues with it.  I've never felt like "Jesus spoke to me."  

But I hated this article.  "Oh my God, I used to look down on these people as ant-intellectual bigots and homophobes but then all of a sudden I was in Taiwan and I woke up and Jesus said to me 'Here I am!' "  WTF?  Any reasons as to why?  How the hell did you come to that conclusion?  Was there anything specific that He apparently showed you?  

If you are a true atheist you can never go back. Its like someone telling you We lied Santa Claus really does exist. Most xians do think us atheist have no morals and are spiritually bankrupt, and it couldn't be farther from the truth. Spirituality is not relation you can have one without the other

its her testimony and it is what it is. Maybe you should take it as such?

First of all, the part where she says Jesus visited her really strains credulity. As someone whose default stance is agnostic (not knowing), I was reading with an open mind before she dropped the supernatural bomb.

Second, I find it odd that she repeatedly alludes to the reasons and evidence that persuade her without once specifying what argument or evidence convinces her. All I notice is an appeal to the authority of intellectual theists.

Still I do think it is worth noting that there are some compelling arguments for having faith in something, for example even science rests on an antecedent faith in an ordered universe. The author offers no such arguments though.

Most of the good arguments for God's existence do not prove the veracity of Christian dogma, perhaps that is why her reasons go unstated.

The closest the author comes to offering a reason for her faith is saying it makes her feel good, which really is closer to wishful thinking than justified belief.

In fairness to the author, I imagine her target audience, the readership of "Christianity Today," takes her assumptions for granted. I, however, do not.

She does a fine job building up to her change of heart. I kept reading in search of the profound insight that finally moved her, and I was disappointed to find nothing of the sort. Instead i got, "and then a miracle happened."

First of all, the part where she says Jesus visited her really strains credulity. As someone whose default stance is agnostic (not knowing), I was reading with an open mind before she dropped the supernatural bomb.

but isnt it virtually impossible to have a belief in a god without accepting that that being is capable if 'violating' the laws of physics? if god isnt capable of doing so, is he/she really god?

In fairness to the author, I imagine her target audience, the readership of "Christianity Today," takes her assumptions for granted. I, however, do not.

i think this explains some of the reactions. i'm not sure this article was meant to be a work of apologetics. just a short story of her experience. 

but, i actually agree with the general criticism of 'i felt it in my heart, so i checked my brain at the door'. ive said before that my church is made up of alot of people who are scientists,including one who won a nobel prize. 

but isnt it virtually impossible to have a belief in a god without accepting that that being is capable if 'violating' the laws of physics? if god isnt capable of doing so, is he/she really god?

This is a fascinating a question. Assuming there is an omnipotent God, how far does that omnipotence go?

Can God violate the laws of nature? Can he make exceptions to Newton's laws of motion, for example? There are many natural theologians who would say no to this, for example consider the God of Spinoza, but that response does seem to put a limit on God's power. Also, most of natural theology has a vision of God as something quite different than the anthropomorphized God of traditional Christianity.

Then again, it seems like there is necessarily some limit on God's power. The old example is the paradox of whether God can make a rock so heavy he cannot lift it. Putting the matter another way, it seems even God cannot do the impossible, as in the inconceivable, in the strictest sense of the word. For example, it seems God could not make a square circle or make 1+1=3. Do you disagree?

At the least, I would say the idea of God's omnipotence needs clarification. There must be some limit to it, but how much?

In highschool my sister was into this dude, he was a devout Christian and even though he showed interest in her he told her "God told me we aren't supposed to date"

Over the next few months, all of the sudden my sister was trying to pretend she was interested in being a Christian, even buying Christian Ska music CDs....lol. Seriously.  I was amused and hoped it would pass.

It did.

Now, if she was able to make a career off of pretending? That would be a different story.

Kudos for her and enjoyed her testimony. Fox contributor Bob Beckel also is a church goer and has views that swing to the left. Though I may disagree with some of their political views, I still respect them.

I just don't understand the animosity. She is sharing her testimony and it is what it is. Let God be the judge of it.  

In highschool my sister was into this dude, he was a devout Christian and even though he showed interest in her he told her "God told me we aren't supposed to date"

Over the next few months, all of the sudden my sister was trying to pretend she was interested in being a Christian, even buying Christian Ska music CDs....lol. Seriously.  I was amused and hoped it would pass.

It did.

Now, if she was able to make a career off of pretending? That would be a different story.

Do we share a sister?

I didn't think it was that bad. However, more often than not I am extremely put off by "testimony" and "witness"

999 times out of 1000 when someone is about to share their "testimony", it is for their glory, not God's.

I think you are a little too cynical Zoony. You must not be baptist, we love testimonies. ;) I'm sure she was probably asked for it by the magazine. Who knows.

As he talked, I grew conflicted. On the one hand, I was creeped out. On the other hand, I had enormous respect for him. He is smart, educated, and intellectually curious. I remember thinking, What if this is true, and I'm not even willing to consider it?

Then one night in 2006, on a trip to Taiwan, I woke up in what felt like a strange cross between a dream and reality. Jesus came to me and said, "Here I am." It felt so real. I didn't know what to make of it. I called my boyfriend, but before I had time to tell him about it, he told me he had been praying the night before and felt we were supposed to break up. So we did. Honestly, while I was upset, I was more traumatized by Jesus visiting me.

And then, just as my Jesus believing boyfriend was about to break up with me, I changed my mind on the whole religion thing. It was too late but it's cool because... Jesus!!!

And then, just as my Jesus believing boyfriend was about to break up with me, I changed my mind on the whole religion thing. It was too late but it's cool because... Jesus!!!

it just proves there is hope for you Alexey. Believe on The Lord Jesus.

I agree Predicto, with the caveat that it's a great article for people who need nothing more than pablum that reinforces their faith. Essentially, this was beach reading for religious types. If there was more "there" there I could say I don't agree with it but that it was interesting and thought provoking.

"Jesus came to me and said, "Here I am." It felt so real. I didn't know what to make of it."

If I substitute a vampire for Jeebus in the sentence above, most people would dismiss it as a dream or assume mental Illness. Aside from one's faith, what gives such a passage power and meaning is context. Other than the prospect of losing a boyfriend, in this article there isn't any.

Later, she goes on to discuss how she accepted belief as the absolute truth. She could have at least posted a Bible verse or two that helped sway her. It would be meaningless to a nonbeliever as evidence but would be pretty important for her intended audience. That says light reading, no thought required to me. Therefore it's hard for me to ascribe much to it other than the M.O. implied by the snarky comments about lives filled with "opportunity and privilege" and her surroundings being "aggresively" secular. Just code words and red meat for her viewership IMO.

I agree Predicto, with the caveat that it's a great article for people who need nothing more than pablum that reinforces their faith. Essentially, this was beach reading for religious types. If there was more "there" there I could say I don't agree with it but that it was interesting and thought provoking.

"Jesus came to me and said, "Here I am." It felt so real. I didn't know what to make of it."

If I substitute a vampire for Jeebus in the sentence above, most people would dismiss it as a dream or assume mental Illness. Aside from one's faith, what gives such a passage power and meaning is context. Other than the prospect of losing a boyfriend, in this article there isn't any.

Later, she goes on to discuss how she accepted belief as the absolute truth. She could have at least posted a Bible verse or two that helped sway her. It would be meaningless to a nonbeliever as evidence but would be pretty important for her intended audience. That says light reading, no thought required to me. Therefore it's hard for me to ascribe much to it other than the M.O. implied by the snarky comments about lives filled with "opportunity and privilege" and her surroundings being "aggresively" secular. Just code words and red meat for her viewership IMO.

Actually, I found it to be refreshing in a sense, even opposite to what you see. You see, it is common for evangelicals to feel (erroneously IMO) that atheists have some sort of miserable existence or that they can do nothing "good". I felt she took a frying pan to that belief that non-believers are all self-loathing satanists and rightly so. When Christians talk like that, it is nothing but condescending. I think the "red meat" is the fact she was converted, which we rejoice in no matter who it is. Are her comments snarky or are they the uncomfortable truth?

EDIT: and I believe she said his appearance was via a dream, not in person. It is quite common in Scripture for God to speak in dreams. So I think the important point is not how, but rather the result. However it happened, the point is, Jesus made himself known and real to her. In that I rejoice. :)

it just proves there is hope for you Alexey. Believe on The Lord Jesus.

;) no chance for salvation here, Im a married man so not even the hottest believing girl can turn me to Jesus :D

Your God made me an atheist so I guess he does not want me in the club :(

;) no chance for salvation here, Im a married man so not even the hottest believing girl can turn me to Jesus :D

Your God made me an atheist so I guess he does not want me in the club :(

My unfaith is not that strong.   If something like that were to happen to me I would consider to the to evidence of a loving God :-)  As long as she isn't too much of a fundie .. 

Archived