Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kyle's Opening Script Vs The Vikings

darrelgreenie

Run the read option from last week.

1st play: Motion WR into the diamond pistol (we ran the triple option out of it last week) run the RO to Morris (or what the read shows you).

2nd play:Motion WR into the diamond pistol run PA slant (Reed) and fly (Garcon). 

We're up 6-0 13:55 on the clock.

Why do you assume we'll miss the extra point?

Rich Tandler@Rich_TandlerCSN5m

Referee assignment for tonight RT @footballzebras: #Redskins at Vikings #TNF @nflnetwork — Ed Hochuli

And that, my friends, is the GREAT equalizer for tonight's football game.

Love it, my thoughts aren't too far from yours. Those are 3 things we do well, stretch run, bootleg, WR screen. Bootleg and WR screens have well defined reads easy to execute.  (I def agree that defenses are playing are 2-man PA routes very well.)

It's been pretty simple, too.

They've typically kept a single high and then had a robber about 10 yards below the single high.  Seen it a few weeks in a row now.

That's why route depth adjustments are so big tonight.  Kyle did so well in the game against the Bears with this, not so much in the game against the Broncos (that was more on Griffin not seeing the field).

For some reason San Diego played it differently and we benefitted.  Hopefully they stay classic 2 deep or Cover 2 zone.  We should do well with that if we can control the MLB early.

I'll take Erroneous Ed ANY day of the week over last Sundays crew. 

Hail. 

Well, I hope Orakpo doesn't want any holding calls.

And I expect Lich and Chester to be flagged once each at a minimum.

And then, just so that he can show us he knows more than everyone else, I expect at least one call that hasn't happened before and will never happen again. :lol:

I've always liked Boger, but he and his crew had a terrible week this past week.  I'll agree.

Remember that lollipop he threw up to Madoodoo last year?

And whole heartidly agree with the grinder mentality against a defense like this.  Try and go up a couple and run Alfred run. 

Who could ever forget a Madoodoo lollipop? :)

I know people have focused on the playcalling a lot, but we have turned the ball over too much and that combined with our special team play has really put us in tight spots.  I'd like to see us have a clean game on the offensive side of the ball.  No turnovers.  Limited penalties.

I'm really hoping to see a lot of the stretch boot in this game.  No matter what we see, I just want a W.  A win on the road against one the best RBs to ever wear cleats is never an easy thing. :)

Tampa 2 defenses are built on the premise they can stop your running game with a 7 man box - the key to beating them is to establish the run and force them to bring an 8th man into the box to stop the bleeding.

I want to run early and often mixing in some play action getting RGIII out of the pocket with some easy high/low reads. In terms of the kinds of run we need to move their D'Line sideline to sideline to slow down their front 4 pass rush - so stretch runs and some read option with RGIII getting on the edge if they crash on Morris.

If you can establish the run early your PA holds the linebackers and especially the MLB and you can attack the middle of the field with your passing game. I'd like to see us run some 7 routes as well with a flat route under to hold the short corner (good old flat 7 route is a WCO classic).

If you can establish the run early your PA holds the linebackers and especially the MLB and you can attack the middle of the field with your passing game. I'd like to see us run some 7 routes as well with a flat route under to hold the short corner (good old flat 7 route is a WCO classic).

DY would fill in nicely there wouldn't he? :)

Cooley did say that this particular route is taken out of the offense and was replaced with "Robert running" instead of a short completion or something to hold the corner (especially in a cover 2).

Hopefully with his performance from this past week (and really, just about every time he's gotten the ball since he's been here) we'll add him back in there.

This is a 4-3 defense.  We should be able to come out in our 22 personnel and run this type of offense.  So DY should be in there.  We're not playing a 3-4 team and trying to scheme them into a nickel look. 

Too easy.  Great post Marty :)

Opening Drive:

Hopefully we come out with Turbo!

Base: 1-2 RB, 2-3 TE,  1-2 WRs

I would like to see something like this:

(1) Base (I-Form/Tiger or the new U w/3 TEs) Pistol: some form of edge run:  Toss (R1)

(2) Base Pistol: Read-option + Bubble screen (P1)

(3) Base Pistol: true Read Option w/ a blocker for the end or force player (R2)

(4) Base Pistol: Outisde stretch zone (R3)

(5) Base Pistol: PA Stretch Boot (DY in the flat/Paulsen on the cross/ Aldrick on the deep over/cross/ Garcon on the comeback): Pistol

Griff shouldn't linger on the downfield stuff. If its open quick take it, if not check it down to the back or pick-up the yards on the ground get out of bounds (P2 or R4)

(6) Base Pistol: RB screen (P3/P4)

(7) Base w/Helu Pistol: Progression read Cover 2  'Shot' play: All go w/ Reed on Post other receivers going vertical Helu out of the backfield (P4/P5)

(8) Base Pistol: Dive/Inside zone (R4/R5)

(9) Base Pistol: Outisde stretch zone (R5/R6)

(10) Base Pistol (strong right/Garcon at Z): Read Option PA (quick pass) progression: Reed on Corner route/Garcon slant/ X backside post/ checkdown out of the backfield (P5/P6)

(11) Base: Progression read-'Smash' hitch/corner (P6/P7)

In a traditionally Tampa 2 type defense, there are a couple things that generally work:

Getting a TE in the middle running verticle against a Middle LB.

Soft zones behind the LBs and in front of the safeties.

This is the week, especially the way the Vikings have been playing defense, and the fact that 3 members of the Vikings secondary are out, where the passing game should have an advantage over the Vikings pass defense.

I would like to see them stay balanced, but I thnk that they throw early to see if they can get a lead.

I think that running up the middle early is also a good plan, even if it doesn't result in a a lot of yards. Because if you do that, you really set up the TE up the seam against the MLB.

1. Some type of run right up the middle. I'd even consider handing it to DY instead of Morris. But something straight ahead.

2. Pass. Primary is Reed on some type of a slant. Or a WR on a slant from the slot.

3. PA Pass, TE Seam Route

4. Some type of a Read-Option run play, hoping to hand the ball to Morris up the middle.

5. PA Pass. Some type of throw to Hank on a crossing route. (Want to get Hank involved early.)

6. Stretch-Zone run to the left. I'd run right at JA all day. He's not bad in run defense, but I take TW over JA to win that matchup more often than not.

And go from there. I think this is a week when Reed really can shine. i like the idea of starting with a run, just so they've seen it, and then start working PA off of it immediately and working the middle of the field. I woudl not go heavy run at the beginning of the game. That's 3 runs and 3 passes in my first 6.

run the read option right at jared allen all game. leave him unblocked just like we did to demarcus ware. he's too aggressive and not disciplined enough to stop it. last year, he was completely confused. he's 1 year older, 1 year slower, and im sure hes not getting any smarter.

Brutally honest, yet true.

I approve this message.

I wan't to see runs we need to establish the run to make the play action game (our bread and butter) effective. I'm fine with a few stalled series as long as the run is being established so we can start taking advantage of the coverage with playaction plays in the 2nd 3rd 4th quarter. 

run the read option right at jared allen all game. leave him unblocked just like we did to demarcus ware. he's too aggressive and not disciplined enough to stop it. last year, he was completely confused. he's 1 year older, 1 year slower, and im sure hes not getting any smarter.

I'll wager Allen has a FAR more productive game than our opposite rusher. 

Hail. 

I'll take that bet.  Tackles are one point.  Sacks, forced fumbles/recoveries, interceptions are two points.  Loser buys a bottle of Crown. :)

Deal. And if I drink it with you in person, I'll triple it. 

Too many folk are sleeping on the Vikings. You are what your record says you are of course. But that 1-7 is very deceiving. 

Hail. 

Not going to guess the script but I feel some trickery coming at some point of the game. its been awhile since we saw something tricky. Maybe Jordan Reed will throw a bomb to Garcon on an end around pass.

We're not trying to guess the script, just saying what we would like to see and why.

In a traditionally Tampa 2 type defense, there are a couple things that generally work:

Getting a TE in the middle running verticle against a Middle LB.

Soft zones behind the LBs and in front of the safeties.

This is the week, especially the way the Vikings have been playing defense, and the fact that 3 members of the Vikings secondary are out, where the passing game should have an advantage over the Vikings pass defense.

I would like to see them stay balanced, but I thnk that they throw early to see if they can get a lead.

I think that running up the middle early is also a good plan, even if it doesn't result in a a lot of yards. Because if you do that, you really set up the TE up the seam against the MLB.

1. Some type of run right up the middle. I'd even consider handing it to DY instead of Morris. But something straight ahead.

2. Pass. Primary is Reed on some type of a slant. Or a WR on a slant from the slot.

3. PA Pass, TE Seam Route

4. Some type of a Read-Option run play, hoping to hand the ball to Morris up the middle.

5. PA Pass. Some type of throw to Hank on a crossing route. (Want to get Hank involved early.)

6. Stretch-Zone run to the left. I'd run right at JA all day. He's not bad in run defense, but I take TW over JA to win that matchup more often than not.

And go from there. I think this is a week when Reed really can shine. i like the idea of starting with a run, just so they've seen it, and then start working PA off of it immediately and working the middle of the field. I woudl not go heavy run at the beginning of the game. That's 3 runs and 3 passes in my first 6.

What type of passes? Shotgun/Pistol/Under center, 3-5-7 Step drop, which route combination or route concept?

Reed on a slant, but from where?

Curious why no 'gimme' passes to get him warmed up; nor movement passes--bootleg/sprint out?

I'm also curious how the Vikings will react to 3-4 wide?

Would they stay in a Tampa-2 or try to man-up? If they try to man-up we should have an advantage with Moss/Morgan/Aldrick against their 3rd/4th CB especially since their 3rd/4th CB are currently their #1-2 CBs.

Archived