Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where's The Offense We Ran Against Cleveland? Please Stand Up!

NoCalMike

Cousins is a fine QB, but are we really thinking about benching the franchise QB because his backup did well against THE BROWNS?

If the team was going to start Captain Kirk, the time would've been at kickoff last Monday night. I would have had absolutely no issue with that.

However, RG3 started week one.  That means "he's fine and healthy".  And he hasn't done enough to warrant getting benched, as the "fine and healthy" starting franchise, jersey-selling, ESPN documentary starring, 2012 savior. 

I'm far more concerned with the defense.  Joe Montana and Tom Brady's love child couldn't win with a defense like we have.

RGIII is not his 2012 self.  

Instead I want to know why the offense is still being called as if he is?

I don't think it is, at all.

We use the RO sparingly, and its almost always just a handoff up the gut. There are no designed runs, no PA bootlegs, etc.

THIS is the main problem I have with where our offense is. He's not his 2012 self (I guess) but its hard to tell one way or the other because we're not doing ANYTHING similar from last year with him. Maybe its because he's still recovering (mentally, or strength) or maybe the coaches want to ease him into it up until the bye week. Regardless, we have done NOTHING like we used to last year.

My question would be framed like:

Why aren't we running our offense like we did last year?

Is it because RG3 isn't his 2012 self at the moment? Why not, and what is the plan?

So basically your asking why the Redskins won't run the Texan's offense??   Good Question! Seeing that the Texans got it from Mike Shanahan!!!   The Texans defense is much better than ours right now though. So I'm not even sure we could win even running that offense with the defense we have.

Good thread, OP.

I don't understand this either. The play-calling seems to be straddling the fence right now. They want to cling to some read-option looks from last year even though they aren't reading and there is no option. I believe they should either run last year's offense or commit to the traditional Shanahan offense that made guys like Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, and Kirk Cousins look great.

Either he's healthy enough to run everything in the playbook or they need to scale way back.

Watching the tape, the scheme is getting guys open on a regular basis. And RG3 has had time. Too often he's simply leaving plays on the field because he is tentative/late or not seeing the open guy period.

Also, we've been down so much so quick... everything has gone out the window.

I'm sure adjustments will be made, but I don't think it has to be anything big on offense.

Far as rollouts go, RG3 hasn't proven to be some kind of lethal thrower on run.

We haven't really seen the "normal" offense of the Redskins this season so far, have we? For the most part, we're seeing them playing "catch up" sometime around the second quarter and having to abandon the run game early.

Exactly.

I can't believe all these post's about benching our franchise quarterback, smh... Shanahan has repeatedly said that he is having to abandon the game plan early because they are getting down so quickly.  Our defense was bad last year but they did not give up points every time the other team touched the ball.  Shanahan wants to run the ball to set up play action, but you cant do that when the other team scores 24 points in 23 minutes. The problem is the Defense, they have to do something to slow the other team down so that we can establish a rhythm on offense and actually be able to execute the game plan for more than a series or 2.  I agree with some of you in that I don't understand why we are not moving the pocket to by time for Robert, and why it seems we are trying to be a more traditional offense.  But at the same time I don't recall being just blown out of the water last year in the first quarter, so its hard to say if this is what the offense would have looked like given the same situation.

I just want to say that we need to stop bashing the Oline. They just came off what was, perhaps, their best collective game in terms of pass blocking ever. 

I know it's easy to criticize them, especially the right side. But they performed. Robert wasn't pressured much. And the pressure he was getting up the middle is partly his fault because he's not dropping back as fast nor as consistently as he should. 

Trent Williams, like Mike said in his press conference, probably had his best game as a pro ever. According to PFF, he gave up NO PRESSURES. That is impressive no matter how you slice it.    

I can't believe all these post's about benching our franchise quarterback, smh... Shanahan has repeatedly said that he is having to abandon the game plan early because they are getting down so quickly.  Our defense was bad last year but they did not give up points every time the other team touched the ball.  Shanahan wants to run the ball to set up play action, but you cant do that when the other team scores 24 points in 23 minutes. The problem is the Defense, they have to do something to slow the other team down so that we can establish a rhythm on offense and actually be able to execute the game plan for more than a series or 2.  I agree with some of you in that I don't understand why we are not moving the pocket to by time for Robert, and why it seems we are trying to be a more traditional offense.  But at the same time I don't recall being just blown out of the water last year in the first quarter, so its hard to say if this is what the offense would have looked like given the same situation.

Well, it depends on timing as to abandoning a general gameplan.

Times like early 2nd qtr, even being down by 21, the original gameplan can still be, and should be stuck to.

Going into panic mode has only turned the ball over than much faster, when a dose of running the ball gives the defense

time to catch their breath.

If the defense cannot or will not adjust afterwards, then its a horse of a different color.

Archived