Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where's The Offense We Ran Against Cleveland? Please Stand Up!

NoCalMike

RGIII is not his 2012 self.  

I'll save this thread from another debate about why or how much longer it will take. 

Instead I want to know why the offense is still being called as if he is?

The 2012 offense was predicated on RGIII being a dual threat. It started (and some say ended) with RGIII's ability to read the defense at the line and act appropriately.

Since RGIII can't do that at the moment, why so far through two games has the offense seemed to have been called the same way?

In 2012 there was one game RGIII did not play in, the Browns game. No this isn't a thread calling for Kirk Cousins. No No No.   However, why can that STYLE of offense not be implemented until RGIII gets back the ability to be a dual threat again?  Right now defenses are giving no respect to the fuax-Read Option formations we run because they are banking on RGIII not running, and he isn't. So where are OUR adjustments?

Instead of the read option fake, why not start implementing bootlegs, waggles etc etc....plays that get the pocket moving but not with the intent of the QB running for yards.  While RGIII is not his 2012 form, he still has plenty of mobility to extend plays and allow for plays downfield to develop, but not when standing in the pocket behind this awful O-line like a deer in the headlights.

I'm assuming the team practices those types of plays from the Cleveland game enough to insert them into the game plan immediately. I highly doubt they were all made up on the fly just for that game. As many have suggested they look a lot more in line with Shanahan's offense with Elway/Davis running things.

I am not calling for any permanent changes, but something obviously needs to be tweaked until RGIII is ready and able to go back to being the dual threat.  Why not start there?

Thoughts?

You are basing it on beating probably the worst franchise in the NFL over the past 10 years.  There is a reason why it worked on them and not anyone else.  They have 0 talent 

Pretty much this. If Cousins did it against the Seahawks, then it might be a different story.

Million dollar question dude.

I have no idea what the hell is up with the offensive playcalling

You are basing it on beating probably the worst franchise in the NFL over the past 10 years.  There is a reason why it worked on them and not anyone else.  They have 0 talent 

Pretty much this. If Cousins did it against the Seahawks, then it might be a different story.

Um what? They actually have a good amount of talent on defense. 

Rg3 is just an average player if they don't use him like they were last year. The whole point of having Rg3 is having the pocket move around and having him make plays on broken plays and having extra people in the box to respect his running game. If he just stands around and acts like a "traditional" QB then yea we in trouble. I'd rather have rg3 play reckless and win with a 5 year career then a conservative long career.

And the new special teams coach sucks we need Danny Smith back. How is it possible that on every single return we get a penalty for a hold or a block in the back? How is it possible that no one is telling CT to just let the ball bounce into the endzone and do not field the punt? How is no one telling CT don't take the kick back if you can't get to the 20?

How are people thinking that we are actually making comebacks in these games? The game was over GB was playing a deep cover 2 all the passes to Garcon were in the middle of the field where the holes were. The Redskins were taking what GB was giving them. That was no come back magic. Morris only was getting yards in the 2nd half because GB was taking more people out of the box.

How is it possible that we sign a kicker who has never attempted a FG ever?

How is it possible that Haz still has a job?

How is it possible that we still have clowns that celebrate big hits after giving up 15 yard gains?

Makes me think last year was a fluke we just were a bad 3-6 team got hot and the right moment and road emotions to the playoffs just like 07 when Sean passed we got emotional and won 5 straight. We also were not a good team that year.

The thing is for me I have been a fan since birth I am 23 years old. I do not remember the 99 playoffs. The only playoffs I remember are 05, 07 and 12. everything else has been piss poor football. Every time the Redskins start to turn the page and I think okay we got a good squad now things will be different and they just stick a knife in my heart.

Thats why it is so easy for me to act like the sky is falling because that is the only Redskins football that I know. Piss poor.

end rant. Now skewer me. 

Yeah I don't understand it either. I really like what Seattle does getting Wilson outside the pocket. We need to have a gameplan like that, at least until he fully gets his legs, football shape and confidence back

It gives Griffin time and options. He can run from what I've seen and in this gameplan he has room to scramble safely if nothing is open. It also gives the WRs more time to get open since they seem to be struggling with that so far.

That is what everybody was so excited about when we got RG3, that he was a perfect fit in the MS offense.

I don't get it

Million dollar question dude.

I have no idea what the hell is up with the offensive playcalling

Um what? They actually have a good amount of talent on defense. 

Yeah, and the Cowboys are "full of talent." Doesn't mean anything if they can't put it together, and they certainly didn't.

The funny thing is now... RGIII looks like a mobile qb.  He doesn't look like RGIII, but he looks like a qb with good movement and escapability.  He should be fine with roll outs and techniques offensive coordinators have been using for years with the Elways, Youngs, Montanas or other qbs who have some movement associated with their game.

We need to be inventive versus conservative.  RGIII may not be ready to resume what we saw from last year, but he certainly looks mobile and even accurate enough to run a diverse offense. 

Because RG3 can't execute a real NFL passing game. Cousins is the better pure pocket passer. He can make tight throws to beat coverage.

That's probably true, which is why this is good experience for Griffin. I can't believe people want to take away this opportunity from him.

If I remember correctly, the word coming out of training camp was that we were implementing a lot of new stuff offensively...hence why P. Garçon was so excited and made the statement that this offense had the capacity to be the best ever.

My thinking is that - and I am not as good on the X's and O's as some on this board are - we have been trying to build on the scheme that we had last year. Add onto that a rusty RG...an O Line that is struggling...and vanilla defensive play calling...we get what we saw today and on MNF.

I think we need to slow down, get back to the basics and what we did last year...not necessarily just the RO...just good, solid, fundamental football.Stop trying to out think ourselves and just get back to the basics.

we don't have the o-line talent or the explosive receivers to run a traditional drop back passing game.

I agree. Teams have already figured to blitz us in the A gap for easy pressure and we have trouble stopping it and that's the fastest way to the QB. I like Hank but he is too soft to be a true 1 he looks terrified to get hit to me. Our receiving core would look amazing if garçon could be a 2 with an andre johnson/megatron/bryant type player at the 1. Moss hank and josh in slot. Dreams

Everyone remember the first few series from the Cleveland game? Cousins was a sitting duck in the pocket. He took some shots and even fumbled.

That offense is the offense we have called for 2 games.

Finally late in the 1st quarter, Kyle clearly changed gears and Cousins love fest never looked back.

Teams are passing for 400+ all around us. It is a passing league but have a suspicion that the Shanahai dont really care what the rest of the league is doing. They have their minds set. RGIII is going to become more of a pocket passer, only, there is no pocket, so they are looking foolish making him sit there under duress. Up the middle no less. 

Archived