Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Biggest Issue I Took Away From Last Night

BobGriffin

Rg will be fine, Alfred Morris will be fine, the defense will be fine, but what really concerned me and pissed me off were the penalties. I don't think we can chalk that up to rust because we were penalized heavily during our pretty good preseason and at times during last season. Considering the rust factor some of the penalties were back breaking drive killers. Do you guys think the penalties were due to a bad night or is it a trend that you see continuing  ? 

Everything that could have possibly gone wrong, went wrong last night in the 1st Half.  During the 2nd Half we saw improvement, so I think the right answer is that it's too early to tell.  Me personally, I believe the team will still compete (& Win) The Division.  Feel free to call me delusional.

This team lacks discipline on and off the the field (with the suspensions).

They have had bad penalty issues since Shanahan took over

Yea these first few weeks while RG3 gets back to his old self our margin of error will be smaller and if the penalties continue I think it will be the difference in at least one more game. 

So many teams showed serious problems over the weekend

Indy-barely got by the Raiders, Oak had 4 sacks on Luck

SD- Same old same old

NE- Amendola out, who is gonna be their offense in the passing game,

TB- Nuff said

NYG- Whose their RB, 6 turnovers --BUT, they played it close in the end,

Dal- force 6 turnovers and barely win

Minnesota- No QB

Carolina- Is Cam really their future? No talent around him besides, Smith, maybe Olsen

Pittsburgh- Offense was boring and terrible, no WR's no RB's

Jax- Bridgewater sweepstakes

Cle- 50 plus passes and only 15 touches by Richardson?

Every team has some kind of issues, at least with us, you can't attest most of our issues are due to lack of talent..I'll take ours over most the leagues issues.

Shannahan actually said the 4th and 10 play would have been a touchdown, he seems awfully confident lol 

Penalties isn't even really the right word, it's just plain false starts.  Last year, Robert barked his own men to jump on MANY occasions.  

The biggest issue is that we should have made it clear we deserved the NFC East last year.  Instead, we let a 4-12 team come into our house and take it to us.

Where was our rush defense?

Unfotunately, our rush defense is a bit over-rated in Haslett's scheme.  I personally believe the numbers are a bit inflated because of how bad our pass defense was last year.

We may have given up the 5th fewest rushing yards last year, but:

We had the FEWEST rushing attempts against us last year.

We were middle of the pack, 15th overall in yards per rush against.

Our rush refense is a bit overrated as well.

I have said this in other threads, in all honesty penalties and that missed FG did us in.  Especially the FG, very makeable 40 yards, would have put that much more pressure on the Eagles D and they were crumbling.  Yes Turnovers killed us put lets say they were a wash since we got a TD of one and the ball in Eagles territory of another.  But the penalties, negated a huge run by Helu i believe and a couple we putting us in long situations after a good play.

But again if not for that FG miss, we don't have to go on 4th and 10 and we don't have to try the 2 point conversion.  So we make these two FGs and the extra point, we are up by one.

I chalk up the penalties due to the game it was.  MNF, season opener, return of RGIII.... I mean from a perspective some of those players felt like they were apart of history as hyped up as this game was.

Trust me, after a week long, grueling, film session and dissecting of what went wrong against the Eagles, they'll be ready.  

Just hope they don't get dazed, confused, and just flat out mesmerized during the "GO! PACK! GO!"  chant... I swear it reminds me of the Jaws music and makes me paranoid.  lol     When I play Madden @ GB I turn down volume....

Almost forgot; did Fred Davis play?  He had what, 2 catches?  I'm starting to get a bad feeling about him, hope he doesn't turn into another waste of talent, or be catagorized in the Orakpo over-hyped column...

Go back and review the game, he may have been doubnle covered. Teams aren't going to let him run free on them. That opened up some lanes for Reed later in the game after halftime

After watching the game again, my biggest gripe was Kyles play calling. He shouldve treated RG3 as if he were a rookie.

I mean throwing sweeps in the endzone and 15 yard routes, all while filthy blitzing on every down.

Kyle should have gone to the scheme we used to beat the Saints. If would have gotten RG3 comfortable while building up his confidence andiit would have smashed the all out blitzes.

Lets get it together Kyle.

Some members of this fan base complained they didn't want the read option, they wanted more drop back passing because they didn't want RGIII to take hits, so Kyle gave us drop back passing and we now see how terrible we looked with that scheme and now everyone wants the read option back?

Personally i'm just so happy I don't have to see another post or thread started with an asinine title like "Why are we putting our franchise QB in harms way with the read option, Why doesn't shanahan use more drop back passing like he used in Denver with Jay Cutler?" lol

The answer all along was because we have trash at the RT position, until that is fixed we have no chance at 5-7 step drops. 

Archived