Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Truth About The Eagles Second Half Defense.

redskins4ever28

Im usually the fan who does the "end of the world/sky is falling" cry at the end of a game like this.  BUT, today, Im not doing that, and Im here to explain a few things about myths Ive been reading on these forums and listening to on the radio.

First, remember, a lot of these radio guys(like cowhurd) dont even watch the game, they read the box score, stats, and someone gives them a run down of the game and what happened.  A lot of you on here said Robert only padded his stats in the second half due to the Eagles prevent defense.  Colin Cowhurd and others are saying similar things.

Did you guys that say this even watch the game?  One of the things the Eagles did that I tip my hat to them for was they DID NOT drop back in prevent.  They continued to blitz the heck out of the Skins and continued to do man coverage while blitzing.  Even late in the 4th, they continued to blitz.  There was no prevent defense guys.  Robert was terrible in the first half, no doubt about it.  He was nervous, rusty, and I think a little scared of how strong his leg was.  BUT, to his credit, when he played well, he did it against a regular blitzing defense, he didnt do it against a prevent.  So, I think everyone needs to calm down, and I think we are a much better team then what showed last night.  We have a tough schedule, but I feel we can still win this division, I really do.  And everyone keeps saying the Packers wont start 0-2.  Well, they just might.  Regardless, just watch the game over if you have DVR.  Grififn started trusting his knee more, and even in the face of blitzes (NOT A PREVENT), he started to warm up.  I trule believe everything will be ok. 

You can blitz and still protect sidelines & deep, which IMO is still a prevent-type defense.  Chung just forgot that his vertical leap is only 3", not 23".

I'm not sure you can blitz and play prevent.  Remember Greg Blache's prevent defense.  Now THAT was preventative.  The Eagles were still bringing the heat and sending extra defenders, which leads me to the conclusion that RGIII's performance in the second half was a sign that he had begun to shake off the rust and play with more confidence. 

If he plays like that in the first half, we win this game, hands down.  The defense would not be anywhere near as worn down as they were by half time.  They were on the field for an absurd amount of time (15 minutes to 2 minutes at one point in the second quarter),  thanks to crappy play calling and mistakes brought on by rust (forced passes/no confidence in knee).

It does not matter what sort of coverage they ran. The take away is that RG3 was hitting the open guys in the 2nd half. He missed them in the 1st. The balls that were high and outside in the 1st half started hitting guys in the numbers in the 2nd. There were guys open in the first half. RG3 just missed them. He clearly got more comfortable as the game went on.

I don't care if it was prevent or not. That last touchdown pass was a thing of beauty.

That last TD pass told me that he's getting back to where he was pretty quickly.  There's a reason 49 pass plays were called last night, despite the score and time of possession - get him back in his timing, win or lose the game.  It's a long season ahead - just remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

actually, when they blitzed they did very well against us. When they only had 4 rushers or so then we did our best. They did back off the blitz a bit in the second half and I think that is when robert did much better (overall). Brian mitchell said a very similar thing.

Better phrased, the drives where we scored generally had less blitzing and the drives we ended up punting or got stopped were the ones the eagles blitzed more.

It does not matter what sort of coverage they ran. The take away is that RG3 was hitting the open guys in the 2nd half. He missed them in the 1st. The balls that were high and outside in the 1st half started hitting guys in the numbers in the 2nd. There were guys open in the first half. RG3 just missed them. He clearly got more comfortable as the game went on.

Was just about to say something similar.  I think they were playing off the receivers a bit and playing deeper in zones to kind of control the clock on defense.  They were going to give up yards and points, but also take time off the clock.  That was their strategy.

The positive is that Robert was hitting the right read--taking exactly what the defense was giving him.  He was making the correct decision in a drop back setting.  When things weren't there he would create with his legs a little bit.  I hope this gets him into his rhythm  for the rest of the season.  If all it took was a half of short throws to get his confidence back I will gladly cede the first game. 

They ran zone blitzes too.  A prevent defense usually is 7 defensive backs, with 3 or 4 dropping deep and the other defensive backs trying to not just prevent a deep pass, but also the sideline.  That WAS NOT the case last night.  Rewatch the game.  First of all, there were many many many plays where there were linebackers blitzing, and not only that, there were many plays where they were playing man coverages and short zones. 

Honestly did anyone expect RGIII to step up right in there after 8 months of rehab and essentially 3 weeks of practice, no preseason game and perform?  I didn't.  What scared the hell out of me is the way he moved in the first half.  it reminded me so much of the Seattle game after he sprained his knee just before the 2nd TD pass.  so seeing him pick it up like he did in the 2nd it tells me he didn't hurt anything, he was rusty and timid.

Still I question however him playing these first 4 games, why not give him an extra 6 weeks for him to feel more comfortable with that knee. He looked scared to do anything in the first 2.5 quarters yesterday.  i don't care about these first 4 games (event though I feel Cousins would have given us a decent chance to win them) if it means RGIII is rusty can can do something a timid.  

Yup on the first INT he had someone running about a 8 yard out towards the sideline with tons of separation that if he hits in stride is a huge gain, instead he fires into triple coverage which is just unheard of for him. He wasn't seeing the game and his WRs first half and wasn't used to game speed.

Honestly did anyone expect RGIII to step up right in there after 8 months of rehab and essentially 3 weeks of practice, no preseason game and perform? I didn't. What scared the hell out of me is the way he moved in the first half. it reminded me so much of the Seattle game after he sprained his knee just before the 2nd TD pass. so seeing him pick it up like he did in the 2nd it tells me he didn't hurt anything, he was rusty and timid.

Still I question however him playing these first 4 games, why not give him an extra 6 weeks for him to feel more comfortable with that knee. He looked scared to do anything in the first 2.5 quarters yesterday. i don't care about these first 4 games (event though I feel Cousins would have given us a decent chance to win them) if it means RGIII is rusty can can do something a timid.

Sadly I did, I thought it might take a series or two but I thought he would be fine :(. You can't sit him though his issues are mental after seeing the 2nd half. At halftime I grudgingly admitted to myself he didn't look healthy and needed to sit until after the bye but the 2nd half he started running around, took some big hits and found the open man. The only way to fix this is for him to work it out on the field. If you sit him until after the bye he will have the same mental issues. You'd have to just sit him until next preseason if going to sit him at all.

Here is what the Eagles DC had to say about this topic .... 

Those were the positive highlights. In the second half, Griffin led his team to 20 unanswered points. Williams was sidelined with cramps for part of that, allowing Griffin to pick on rookie cornerback Jordan Poyer for one touchdown. 

“The game changed,” Davis said. “I probably pressured a little bit more than I should have. The second-to-last score was on a couple of multiple pressures back-to-back. I wanted to let them know that we aren’t going to sit back and play prevent, and I got burned on it. Sometimes that happens. They made some plays and we played a little softer.” 

The man is saying it ... we scored our points when they were attacking, not playing prevent defense. 

I honestly think people like to say, "they played prevent defense" because it's the only remotely smart football sounding thing they know how to say ... :)

Drives me mad, Philly fans on their board are saying the whole prevent thing as well ... but I must admit, they are being very diplomatic and realistic. 

Sounds familiar

http://dailyemerald.com/2012/10/21/ducks-still-dominating-despite-showing-mercy/

------

Ducks football still dominating despite showing mercy

Posted by Jackson Long on Sunday, Oct. 21 at 9:08 pm.

Oregon football is in a rhythm.

The Ducks are crushing everyone with the misfortune of being in their path this season and have viewers chuckling as they roll over opponents if they were middle school flag football teams. Last Thursday’s game was evidence of that.

An early Oregon mistake and a hole in the defense allowed Arizona State to jump to a surprising lead in the first minute of play. Finally, here is somebody who can challenge the Ducks a little.

Guess again. Seventeen minutes of play, two turnovers and 43 points later, Oregon held a 36-point advantage over the Sun Devils. It wasn’t even halfway through the second quarter.

The Ducks’ explosive openings to games have been their biggest strength, as Oregon is averaging a 16-point lead at the end of the first quarter, and a 26-point surplus by the half. The average score of an Oregon game at halftime is 33-8.

While Oregon is ravaging the opposition practically from the coin toss, many Duck fans aren’t excited about the Ducks’ second-half play. Big margins of victory are sexy, but in five of the seven games this season, Oregon’s reserves have allowed teams to shave points off the big lead before the game finishes. Against Tennessee Tech and Arizona, Oregon’s biggest lead of the game (and the season) was 49 points. In both those games, the Ducks ended up winning by that exact amount. But in the other five matchups, Oregon allowed the final score to reflect a closer game. Against Washington State and Washington, the Ducks let both teams score the games’ final touchdowns to cut down deficits.

More troubling were the Ducks’ battles (if you can call them that) with their trio of state schools — Arkansas State, Fresno State and Arizona State. Oregon had leads of 47, 32 and 36 against those teams and allowed leads to be sliced to 23, 17 and 22 respectively.

But even if Oregon is letting off the gas, putting in the backups – really early – and letting a few scores slide by, the Ducks are still winning every quarter of play. In the first quarter, Oregon is scoring, on average, 19 points, while allowing four. In the fourth quarter, often with second and third-string guys in, Oregon is still outscoring the opposition, nine points to seven.

While the average point differential declines per quarter, Oregon is still better than the squads they face, every step of the way, no matter who is playing thus far.

The biggest question that remains is what happens when the Ducks have to play a full 60 minutes. We know they can crush the opponent by halftime, so second-half effort is practically uncalled for, but what will happen when a team like USC or maybe Oregon State (!) asks more of Oregon? Can Marcus Mariota play in crunch time? He has only seen the fourth quarter in four games, and is 15 of 18 passing for one touchdown and a pick in that time. Kenjon Barner has a grand total of 10 fourth-quarter carries all year, and De’Anthony Thomas hasn’t played an offensive minute in the final quarter in 2012.

So while the first units aren’t playing much in the home stretch, what is to say they can’t replicate their first-half efforts in the later stages? If the Ducks keep rolling, we may never find out.

Eagles DC

The man is saying it ... we scored our points when they were attacking, not playing prevent defense. 

I honeslty think people like to say, "they played prevent defense" because it's the only remotely smart football sounding thing they know ... :)

/thread

There is is folks. Philly's D coordinator answers the question.  "I wanted to let them know that we aren’t going to sit back and play prevent". 

Here is what the Eagles DC had to say about this topic .... 

I honestly think people like to say, "they played prevent defense" because it's the only remotely smart football sounding thing they know how to say ... :)

Drives me mad, Philly fans on their board are saying the whole prevent thing as well ... but I must admit, they are being very diplomatic and realistic. 

Thank you glad it's finally out there. Getting sick of hearing this crap especially from our fans. Those guys were trying to make a statement on us and blow us out. Their offense starting "letting up" it seemed to me because they were gassed from the pace. All their skill players were sucking wind on the sideline and Vick looked like he tweaked a groin, of course they are going to run the ball more and stop having their receivers running wind sprints on the outside.

It was obvious Griffin looked more comfortable and fluid in the 2nd half. I don't really care what Cowhurd or any other non-local personality has to say about it. The truth will be revealed sooner or later. I'm confident Griffin will continue to improve. His mechanics sucked in the first half and it was most likely the result of being tentative with the knee.

So I don't really care about Cowhurd and others talking about prevent D. Even if that was the case, which I disagree with, it was clear Griffin's passing looked a hell of a lot better regardless of the coverage. He was throwing ugly ducks with no velocity in the first half and that stopped.

I was pretty devastated after the first half. After all of the excitement building up and having reality slap me in the face it was a tough experience and I feel bad for my GF who watched the game with me. I'm not giving the Skins a pass b/c some of that slop from last night was unacceptable for professionals.

But they certainly got their crap together when they went on their 20-0 run. And I'm happy they did because there was nothing to be hopeful about from the first half.

As for the eagles D...I didn't feel they played prevent really. They may have softened the coverages a bit...but they were still trying to be aggressive. It was on offense mainly where they slowed things down...

I know you are an eagles fan but chip Kelly wanted to stick it to us and blow us out of the water. I don't think they let up on either side of the ball. Like I stated previously your guys on offense were just tired so they started pounding the ball because that was working too. You don't let up in the NFL or you have games come down to onside kicks with a chance to lose the game with 1 minute left. Had you really let up we might have won and converted that series we missed the 4th down on. That pace on offense is just as intense for your guys as it is for the defense and we kept giving you all the ball back in the first half. It was week one as well. Your wideouts are basically running non stop wind sprints, he had to stop calling as many passes. McCoy was sucking wind too.

Yea, well the good thing is we get to play these guys in November to settle the score. If the team doesn't implode, they'll play with some fire in Philthy and send a message.

I'm already tired of that eunuch looking piece of **** Chip Kelly smirking all the damn time. A guy that soft and feminine looking coaching a pro football team just pisses me off. I'm not going to lie it aggravated me last night. 

Thank you glad it's finally out there. Getting sick of hearing this crap especially from our fans. Those guys were trying to make a statement on us and blow us out. Their offense starting "letting up" it seemed to me because they were gassed from the pace. All their skill players were sucking wind on the sideline and Vick looked like he tweaked a groin, of course they are going to run the ball more and stop having their receivers running wind sprints on the outside.

I know you are an eagles fan but chip Kelly wanted to stick it to us and blow us out of the water. I don't think they let up on either side of the ball. Like I stated previously your guys on offense were just tired so they started pounding the ball because that was working too. You don't let up in the NFL or you have games come down to onside kicks with a chance to lose the game with 1 minute left. Had you really let up we might have won and converted that series we missed the 4th down on. That pace on offense is just as intense for your guys as it is for the defense and we kept giving you all the ball back in the first half. It was week one as well.

We can agree to disagree...

It's not all about slowing of down to kill clock on offense either. Chip felt comfortable with the lead (one could argue he felt this too early), and probably told himself 'no reason to show my full hand in week 1'

But all one needed to do, to see the difference in pace from the first to second half, was watch the game...

Yea, well the good thing is we get to play these guys in November to settle the score. If the team doesn't implode, they'll play with some fire in Philthy and send a message.

I'm already tired of that eunuch looking piece of **** Chip Kelly smirking all the damn time. A guy that soft and feminine looking coaching a pro football team just pisses me off. I'm not going to lie it aggravated me last night.

If he were the Redskins coach, you would absolutely love him. It's scary to think what he would do with RG3. But I do get where you're coming from..

Said it in another thread. The Eagles didn't play 'prevent' per se. But unless my eyes deceived me, they softened up and protected their lead and the clock by giving us a lot of underneath stuff between the numbers when it became apparent their O was totally and utterly gassed. 

'Prevent' without playing 'prevent.' A savvy way to see out the game. 

Hail. 

Archived