Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Truth About The Eagles Second Half Defense.

redskins4ever28

Yea dude, you're on a Redskins board after a divisional loss for the home opener. Of course not everything we're going to post is going to be rational. But still he looks like a eunuch and I just don't like the look  :P

Oh and if I were a Philthy fan I'd be pretty damned happy today.

We can agree to disagree...

It's not all about slowing of down to kill clock on offense either. Chip felt comfortable with the lead (one could argue he felt this too early), and probably told himself 'no reason to show my full hand in week 1'

But all one needed to do, to see the difference in pace from the first to second half, was watch the game...

If he were the Redskins coach, you would absolutely love him. It's scary to think what he would do with RG3. But I do get where you're coming from..

Honestly did anyone expect RGIII to step up right in there after 8 months of rehab and essentially 3 weeks of practice, no preseason game and perform?   

Honestly

Yes they did, and I think that is why this loss is stinging so much.  I think people honestly expected him to step right in and play like he had never had surgery and he was just continuing from the 1st quarter of the Seattle game.  

In hindsight, definitely unrealistic.  I am very encouraged by what I saw from him in the second half though that will hopefully carry over into Sunday's game against the Pack.  Hopefully he has already started to find his mojo again.

Yea dude, you're on a Redskins board after a divisional loss for the home opener. Of course not everything we're going to post is going to be rational. But still he looks like a eunuch and I just don't like the look :P

Oh and if I were a Philthy fan I'd be pretty damned happy today.

I know I'm in enemy territory...so I always try to keep it respectful...while still trying to keep it real. If our roles were reversed today, chip would be the ugliest guy on the planet :lol:

It doesn't matter what the defense did. We played our asses off in the 2nd half and with the penalties in crucial big gains. 2 Morris turnovers 1 stupid pass from RG. Missed FG, Failed 2 point conversion. Lost by 6 points guys. 1st game!!! RGIII shook the rust off and played pretty dang nasty. props to the D boys they deserve it. They hung in there and fought there tails off last night. Lets be positive and move on. Vick & that O will never run that pace all year. They were gassed last night.

HTTR

If a defense is conceding then they don't blitz and give up first down throws, they drop 7 & 8 into coverage and let Washington get completions but tackle them before they get to the marker. That is how you play the bubble defense. Also, RGIII was unable to beat the blitz for a lot of the game, he was rusty and either wasn't reading the blitz or not making good reads, again due to rust.  On that corner blitz, you had Garcon shouting out to RGIII to watch for the blitzer, and RGIII never even noticed it.  That is not something that would have happened last season.  RGIII was working off rust folks. We saw some of the healthy RGIII come back later in the game, where RGIII was getting the ball out quickly, empty backfields, etc etc etc.

They were only down 13 points with nine minutes left, if the Eagles D-coordinator was taking it easy at THAT point? He isn't too bright.

If a defense is conceding then they don't blitz and give up first down throws, they drop 7 & 8 into coverage and let Washington get completions but tackle them before they get to the marker. That is how you play the bubble defense. Also, RGIII was unable to beat the blitz for a lot of the game, he was rusty and either wasn't reading the blitz or not making good reads, again due to rust. On that corner blitz, you had Garcon shouting out to RGIII to watch for the blitzer, and RGIII never even noticed it. That is not something that would have happened last season. RGIII was working off rust folks. We saw some of the healthy RGIII come back later in the game, where RGIII was getting the ball out quickly, empty backfields, etc etc etc.

They were only down 13 points with nine minutes left, if the Eagles D-coordinator was taking it easy at THAT point? He isn't too bright.

The eagles were 'not' playing prevent...not in a traditional sense anyway. Again...they were playing deeper coverages and allowing the underneath stuff...while still trying to go after the QB.

The eagles were 'not' playing prevent...not in a traditional sense anyway. Again...they were playing deeper coverages and allowing the underneath stuff...while still trying to go after the QB.

See now I'm agreeing with an Eagles fan my day is going to turn to ****. 

It's Universal Karma kicking my arse for upsetting the balance of the force. 

Damn you all!

Hail. 

Still I question however him playing these first 4 games, why not give him an extra 6 weeks for him to feel more comfortable with that knee. He looked scared to do anything in the first 2.5 quarters yesterday.  i don't care about these first 4 games (event though I feel Cousins would have given us a decent chance to win them) if it means RGIII is rusty can can do something a timid.  

We sat him for all four weeks of preseason. How many more weeks should we park him on the bench "to feel more comfortable with that knee?!"  Sixteen?

He needs to be out there every week! Adrian Peterson said that he didn't feel right until 6 games in. If the Vikes had the same mindset as you and the many chicken littles have on this board, he would have never had THE most incredible comeback from ACL in NFL history! I would like to see if RG can best him! Sitting him on the bench for several weeks will do what?! He HAS to get used to game speed and get his timing down. The ONLY way that happens is put him in "live bullet" action next and every week!

actually, when they blitzed they did very well against us. When they only had 4 rushers or so then we did our best. They did back off the blitz a bit in the second half and I think that is when robert did much better (overall). Brian mitchell said a very similar thing.

Better phrased, the drives where we scored generally had less blitzing and the drives we ended up punting or got stopped were the ones the eagles blitzed more.

What I saw was the Skins forcing the eagles to abort the all out blitz schemes by using the screen and hot reads.  They continued to blitz their inside LBs up until the very end.

See now I'm agreeing with an Eagles fan my day is going to turn to ****.

It's Universal Karma kicking my arse for upsetting the balance of the force.

Damn you all!

Hail.

It's all just about being honest and calling it like it is...win or lose.

If that game was completely reversed, and the skins had the early lead...and played the same way in the second half on D...how many redskins fans would be saying 'we're fine, we were just playing prevent'?

Ealges did not play prevent. They kept trying to put pressure on RG3. The eagles D got tired...just like the skins did. Chung had a terrible drop back on that TD pass...was he hurt or tired? Who knows? It was a pass that could've been picked off or batted away...but it wasn't. But it wasn't prevent.

If a defense is conceding then they don't blitz and give up first down throws, they drop 7 & 8 into coverage and let Washington get completions but tackle them before they get to the marker. That is how you play the bubble defense. Also, RGIII was unable to beat the blitz for a lot of the game, he was rusty and either wasn't reading the blitz or not making good reads, again due to rust.  On that corner blitz, you had Garcon shouting out to RGIII to watch for the blitzer, and RGIII never even noticed it.  That is not something that would have happened last season.  RGIII was working off rust folks. We saw some of the healthy RGIII come back later in the game, where RGIII was getting the ball out quickly, empty backfields, etc etc etc.

That was my post earlier in another discussion!  The E-gals and their fans can high-five themselves silly, and they certainly deserve a little celebration here, but the fact is that the Redskins with RG3 working off some rust after not having played together since January came back and almost tied/won the game. I would not be too happy that my idiot coaches managed to call such a milquetoast second-half with a 26 point lead (most of which came off of short-field opportunities that the 2012 leading rush offense gave them) that they very nearly lost the game! Prevent or no (and they WEREN'T in Prevent!), that's not anything to be too proud about.

It's all just about being honest and calling it like it is...win or lose.

If that game was completely reversed, and the skins had the early lead...and played the same way in the second half on D...how many redskins fans would be saying 'we're fine, we were just playing prevent'?

Ealges did not play prevent. They kept trying to put pressure on RG3. The eagles D got tired...just like the skins did. Chung had a terrible drop back on that TD pass...was he hurt or tired? Who knows? It was a pass that could've been picked off or batted away...but it wasn't. But it wasn't prevent.

I think they are going to have trouble keeping up that offense for four quarters throughout a 16 game season as well. It is very obvious that the Chip Kelly NFL offensive scheme is to run up the score (if possible) early, and then coast for the rest of the game. That works (sometimes) in college, especially if you are in a weak conference. It WON'T work in the NFL. I also think that Vick's fragile tendency (and his age) is going to have him hurt by week 5 or 6. No way can they continue to run 53 offensive plays in the first half, week in, week out!

Either way, I'm glad that RGIII got the reps in the 2nd half regardless of what kind of Eagles defense was playing.  He needs the reps, especially against a team constantly blitzing.

Even if the Eagles defense was laying down or playing soft zones, it doesn't change the fact that the velocity on RGIII's throws changed later in the game. He was floating the ball badly in the first half, guys were open, he was throwing it over them because he wasn't planting on his knee and driving the ball.  That changed in the later part of the 3rd quarter for the rest of the game.

I'll gladly trade a loss in Week 1 if it means RGIII took the necessary steps forward in getting back to his former self, something I do not believe could have been done on the practice field.  I still say I don't think the remainder of his journey back is physical, but more the mental aspect of trusting that his body is back.  He seemed to trust his knee more later in the game when it was "we need to do something NOW" mode and stopped worrying and just decided to go out there and try to get things done.

Vick said so himself during the preseason, saying that "you can't go out there and worry about getting hurt, you have to just play all out"  I think RGIII needs to do just that.

if they wanted to blow the skins out the water he woulda called more than 4 pass plays in the 2nd half

run was working plus it burns clock  why not

I know you are an eagles fan but chip Kelly wanted to stick it to us and blow us out of the water. I don't think they let up on either side of the ball. Like I stated previously your guys on offense were just tired so they started pounding the ball because that was working too. You don't let up in the NFL or you have games come down to onside kicks with a chance to lose the game with 1 minute left. Had you really let up we might have won and converted that series we missed the 4th down on. That pace on offense is just as intense for your guys as it is for the defense and we kept giving you all the ball back in the first half. It was week one as well. Your wideouts are basically running non stop wind sprints, he had to stop calling as many passes. McCoy was sucking wind too.

That was my post earlier in another discussion! The E-gals and their fans can high-five themselves silly, and they certainly deserve a little celebration here, but the fact is that the Redskins with RG3 working off some rust after not having played together since January came back and almost tied/won the game. I would not be too happy that my idiot coaches managed to call such a milquetoast second-half with a 26 point lead (most of which came off of short-field opportunities that the 2012 leading rush offense gave them) that they very nearly lost the game! Prevent or no (and they WEREN'T in Prevent!), that's not anything to be too proud about.

I think they are going to have trouble keeping up that offense for four quarters throughout a 16 game season as well. It is very obvious that the Chip Kelly NFL offensive scheme is to run up the score (if possible) early, and then coast for the rest of the game. That works (sometimes) in college, especially if you are in a weak conference. It WON'T work in the NFL. I also think that Vick's fragile tendency (and his age) is going to have him hurt by week 5 or 6. No way can they continue to run 53 offensive plays in the first half, week in, week out!

We will see...

Quote from Kelly just minutes ago in his presser:

"I felt the tempo was slow, and I'm not messing with you"

The positive is that Robert was hitting the right read--taking exactly what the defense was giving him. He was making the correct decision in a drop back setting. When things weren't there he would create with his legs a little bit. I hope this gets him into his rhythm for the rest of the season. If all it took was a half of short throws to get his confidence back I will gladly cede the first game.

This is the best thing to come from the 2nd half last night. No matter what defense the Eagles were playing, he took what they gave him in the 2nd half. His first int he forced a pass to a covered receiver. Then he started taking what they gave him. He could have said "We are down big, so I'm going to throw it deep". there's a certain chubby QB in our roster that would do that. He just relaxed, made his reads, and took what was available.

I know I'm in enemy territory...so I always try to keep it respectful...while still trying to keep it real. If our roles were reversed today, chip would be the ugliest guy on the planet :lol:

You need to replace your avatar.  I don't want to look at Kelly's stupid arrogant face anymore.  Promise you'll be back here when he's offense gets exposed and Vick and McCoy are injured by week 3.  

You need to replace your avatar. I don't want to look at Kelly's stupid arrogant face anymore. Promise you'll be back here when he's offense gets exposed and Vick and McCoy are injured by week 3.

I'll come back when things don't go well...that's part of the deal. And I expect it.

But please spare me the injury predictions. I don't go there with rg3...or any other player on any other team.

Yeah. I'm going to call B.S. on that Kelly comment, TFN.

I saw the quote online and didnt hear the context. I need I listen to the full question/answer...

I'm guessing he was referring to the 2nd half

Imho, in a football season most teams will play four games better than they are, and four games worse than what they are. The other eight games are pretty good indicator of the real ability of a team. For the Redskins, I think and hope, that this game was one of those four games that they play worse than what they are. For philly, who knows at this point. First game of a long season.

Imho, in a football season most teams will play four games better than they are, and four games worse than what they are. The other eight games are pretty good indicator of the real ability of a team. For the Redskins, I think and hope, that this game was one of those four games that they play worse than what they are. For philly, who knows at this point. First game of a long season.

I hear what you are saying...and I pretty much agree with it. Law of Averages and all that.

And yes, I think skins fans can safely believe this was one of the 4 bad games in your scenario...

I'll come back when things don't go well...that's part of the deal. And I expect it.

But please spare me the injury predictions. I don't go there with rg3...or any other player on any other team.

I saw the quote online and didnt hear the context. I need I listen to the full question/answer...

I'm guessing he was referring to the 2nd half

No, you just come to a Redskins board the day after a home divisional loss and then try to take the high road...I'm not gonna spare you a thing.  You are on our board.  If you don't like to tone of the conversation, please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

With all of that said, I'm not wishing injury on any of your players, and my phrasing could have been better.  What I was trying to say was that I don't see how that pace is sustainable over the course of a 16 game season.  Vick was hit a lot and it looked like he could barely walk by the end of the game.  I was impressed with Kelly and more so by the near flawless execution of the Eagles offense in the first half.  What remains to be seen is whether Kelly can adjust to the rigors of an NFL season, which is a marathon and not a sprint.  If he can do that, then you guys have a lot to look forward to.  

Running that many plays at that pace takes a toll on your players.  Combine that with the normal wear and tear of an NFL season, and  I'm simply skeptical, that's all.  The fact is, the Skins still had a chance to win that game last night.  Part of that was due to the fact that your offense didn't have much left in the second half and wasn't nearly as effective.  In the NFL, unlike college, it is very, very difficult to put teams away.  And you need consistent performance in all three phases for 60 minutes.

No, you just come to a Redskins board the day after a home divisional loss and then try to take the high road...I'm not gonna spare you a thing. You are on our board. If you don't like to tone of the conversation, please don't let the door hit you on the way out.

With all of that said, I'm not wishing injury on any of your players, and my phrasing could have been better. What I was trying to say was that I don't see how that pace is sustainable over the course of a 16 game season. Vick was hit a lot and it looked like he could barely walk by the end of the game. I was impressed with Kelly and more so by the near flawless execution of the Eagles offense in the first half. What remains to be seen is whether Kelly can adjust to the rigors of an NFL season, which is a marathon and not a sprint. If he can do that, then you guys have a lot to look forward to.

Running that many plays at that pace takes a toll on your players. Combine that with the normal wear and tear of an NFL season, and I'm simply skeptical, that's all. The fact is, the Skins still had a chance to win that game last night. Part of that was due to the fact that your offense didn't have much left in the second half and wasn't nearly as effective. In the NFL, unlike college, it is very, very difficult to put teams away. And you need consistent performance in all three phases for 60 minutes.

I didn't just arrive to this board today...

I hear you...I just disagree...

Archived