Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

All this talk about LBs could just be a smoke screen, but then, with as BAD as this defense was last year, I challenge anyone to name 5 people we should have kept form last year based on performance aside from: Hall, Riley, Cofield, and Kerrigan.   Maybe Rak?  I honestly would not be surprised if this is a prove it year for everyone.

All this talk about LBs could just be a smoke screen, but then, with as BAD as this defense was last year, I challenge anyone to name 5 people we should have kept form last year based on performance aside from: Hall, Riley, Cofield, and Kerrigan. Maybe Rak? I honestly would not be surprised if this is a prove it year for everyone.

Baker.

Why is there so much uncertainty with Clowney?  Because the media expected him to make eighty sacks and he didn't do it?  Because he got bored at the college level and took some plays off?

I think Clowney is the only sure fire defensive player in this draft.  I bet Texas will be kicking themselves down the road because they reached on a QB when they coulda had Clowney.  I bet Jeff Fisher is peeing his pants to draft this guy.

Maybe people are seeing something I'm not.

Why is there so much uncertainty with Clowney? Because the media expected him to make eighty sacks and he didn't do it? Because he got bored at the college level and took some plays off?

I think Clowney is the only sure fire defensive player in this draft. I bet Texas will be kicking themselves down the road because they reached on a QB when they coulda had Clowney. I bet Jeff Fisher is peeing his pants to draft this guy.

Maybe people are seeing something I'm not.

I agree 100%. His film, 2012 AND 2013 was incredible.

Your score is: 3514 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:

Round 2 Pick 2: Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame (A-)

Round 3 Pick 2: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)

Round 4 Pick 2: JaWuan James, OT, Tennessee ( B)

Round 5 Pick 2: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana (B-)

Round 6 Pick 2: Dezmen Southward, SS, Wisconsin (F)

Round 7 Pick 2: Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State (B+)

I think 34 is way too high for Nix. I just don't see what makes him special. He doesn't look any better than NT's available in the 2nd and 3rd round of every draft. At 34 there is going to be a 1st round guy that drops unexpectedly. Shazier, Benjamin, Fuller, etc. 

What is the feeling on the board about drafting Benjamin if he is available?

If I were Texans, with so much uncertainty with Clowney and the QBs....I'm going Watkins all day long.

I don't think Clowney has near as much uncertainty as people make him out to have.  Teams did everything in their power to not be on his highlight reel this past year.  If anything, Mingo and Jordan had worse years last year, aren't near the specimen Clowney is, and still both got drafted in the top 6.

People always point to the UNC game, where he definitely got winded, but his impact was undeniable.  He forced 4 incompletions (two while being double teamed and another while being triple teamed) and forced Renner to scramble on another one.  UNC worked the screen game constantly just to negate his upfield rush, along with practically having an rb spy him on most snaps.  It wasn't an earthshattering game, but that would have been a good game for any other edge rusher not named Clowney.

I mean, Houston took the last "once in a generation DE" in Mario. What did they accomplish during his career? If a QB is close to the top of their board at all, that's the pick.

So right, I just thought about how Leinart and Young have been among the best at their position compared to that scrub.

I think 34 is way too high for Nix. I just don't see what makes him special. He doesn't look any better than NT's available in the 2nd and 3rd round of every draft. At 34 there is going to be a 1st round guy that drops unexpectedly. Shazier, Benjamin, Fuller, etc. 

I would have been jumping up and down for Benjamin before Desean, now it's a little cloudier.  I think he represents some value as a red zone target, like could end his rookie year with a stat line like 25 catches, 300 yards and 5-7 td's.  Our empty backfield look would be deadly, and possibly year 2 would feature a 3 wide set with Garcon in the slot. 

He could, conceivably, be used like a tight end.  He's a devastating blocker for a wr, so it's one of his strengths.  Will be better than the Niles Paul experiment.  Could be used like Jimmy Graham.  Reed is much more of a short area guy whereas you could run deeper routes with Benjamin set as a tight end.  He's a better leaper than any tight end in the league, truly an elite skill of his, but at 34 you wonder why you don't consider Amaro or ASF at that point, two guys who are also good red zone targets but are much more typical tight ends.  He's stiff for a wr, but for a tight end he's solid. 

I think he could add some VERY creative ripples in an offense, even if not featured.  Use him in a 2 te-2 wr scenario and then move him out wide.

That said, I'm not sure if he would be the most immediately impactful player at 34.  I think he'd have value, and I could be excited about the pick, and he likely needed a year or two to develop anyways, but if shazier/sua'filo was there (an every down, day 1 starter) then I'm not so sure benji would be the wisest pick.

Clowney's issue is character. Not on field play. He is an athletic freak and a very, very good defensive end.

I think Mack is much better rounded. He does just about everything asked of him. The concern there is that he played in a 3-3 in college, and he played one of the interior spots. But by all accounts, he's a hard worker and a natural leader. From an overall perspective I'd value him more than Clowney. At least enough to listen to offers to trade back, pick up an extra first this year or next and still snag Mack.

No hate for Clowneys game from me. He can flat out ball.

On ESPN today on NFL live someone projected Benji to the Eagles at 22 or w/e. That's the types of picks we need to happen the reaches that let better players fall to us.

Why do people like him so much? Being tall means nothing if you can't play the position.

The uncertainty with Clowney is the head, not the talent. But, I think there's some smoke there. Thus, give me that game changing WR that will solidify spot for next 10 years and can be groomed next couple by one of the classier guys in league like Johnson.

I'd take him if I had to. NO OG,OT

, or corner that's better.

Why do people like him so much? Being tall means nothing if you can't play the position.

Ugh. They like him because he is 6'5" with 34 7/8" arms and had over 1000 yards receiving this year, averaging 18.7 yards per catch and caught 15 TD's. 15 TD's. He also had the game winning TD catch in the National Championship game.

How is it that he "can't play the position"?

I am not saying that I definitely want him, or any receiver, but he is a 1st round talent and has the kind of size that we lack and appear to covet since we have brought in Brandon Coleman and Latimer.

So right, I just thought about how Leinart and Young have been among the best at their position compared to that scrub.

If you think the top two QB's this year are equivalent to Leinart and Young, then sure. I don't. But it doesn't matter what we think. I specifically said if there's a QB near the top of their board.

Ugh. They like him because he is 6'5" with 34 7/8" arms and had over 1000 yards receiving this year, averaging 18.7 yards per catch and caught 15 TD's. 15 TD's. He also had the game winning TD catch in the National Championship game.

How is it that he "can't play the position"?

I am not saying that I definitely want him, or any receiver, but he is a 1st round talent and has the kind of size that we lack and appear to covet since we have brought in Brandon Coleman and Latimer.

Imo, Aside from his college production (which scouts hardly put anything into) you simply have a big guy who struggles with running routes and catching the ball. He's not dangerous after the catch either. He's a bigger Hankerson to tell you the truth, and the national championship game only confirmed my suspicions. If he was, say 6"2, then he would be a 6th rounder. I think both Coleman and Latimer are far superior. I don't think Kelvin gets past the 2nd round though, as someone will take a chance.

@john_keim what is more likely to take in the draft- OT or CB?#redskinsmailbag
Apr. 18, 2014
  • Retweet
  • Favorite
Keim: Well, if I had to pick one or the other it would be a tackle. But with six picks they certainly can add a player at both spots. While you can debate how strong their first three or four corners are, the reality is that no corner they draft would be better than a No. 4.That likely eliminates them taking one at 34 or perhaps even in the third round. At tackle? They tried to sign Donald Penn in free agency and have visited with a few college tackles.Safe to assume they’d like to address this spot in May. I’d heard before free agency that line coach Chris Foerster was busier studying the draft. Stay tuned.

@john_keim what position do the Redskins figure to address with their first pick in the draft? OT, S, CB or best available? #redskinsmailbag
Apr. 18, 2014
  • Retweet
  • Favorite
Keim: Of that group, I’d go with tackle. But if I had to guess now it would be a pass-rusher of some sort -- or someone who plays in the front seven. The Redskins added Jason Hatcher, but their front could use a talented young player (Jarvis Jenkins still needs to prove he can be a pass-rush threat) and it’s never bad to add more pass-rushers. Never.They could be viewed as Brian Orakpo’s eventual replacement; or it could be someone worked into the line rotation. But the best way to become better defensively is to strengthen the rush.

If you think the top two QB's this year are equivalent to Leinart and Young, then sure. I don't. But it doesn't matter what we think. I specifically said if there's a QB near the top of their board.

You don't think leinart and young were near the top of their board when they took Mario? That's revisionist history and hindsight. You don't pass on a generational talent at a premier position for a qb.

I just heard Russell's interview from inside the locker room yesterday.

And this isn't directed at you SIP but I am trying to wrap my head around drafting a pass rusher because I think OLB is a position I think is set with quality starters and quality depth. We already have a hard enough time getting Rob Jackson and Brandon Jenkins on the field and now we're gonna add another early pick OLB? I just doesn't seem logical to me. It seems more like amassing talent then building a team. How is another OLB gonna help the team when there's already a logjam and there are other areas crying out for upgrade? If they were gonna expressly look for an OLB to replace Rak then why franchise him? That money could been moved around to other areas.

I like our OLBs quite a lot this year. Unfortunately, there's a chance that next year we have Kerrigan and Jenkins and that it. Drafting an OLB likely means they don't make an impact this year, but could be huge for next year depending on Jenkins development, Orakpo's contract and whether Jackson re-signs.

Most of our other positions have some decent starters/depth for next year, but as of now I see 0 depth* under contract for next year and Jenkins (an unknown) pencilled in as a starter. That could be a big problem.

So, while I'd lean towards another position at 34 (but still try to grab an OLB to develop later in the draft), I wouldn't be mad with an OLB pick. Well, maybe a little if we miss out on a good safety prospect. :)

* assuming RJax signed a 1 year deal, can't recall with certainty

Archived