Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Chip Kelly Going To Be The Eagles' Steve Spurrier?

NoCalMike

I don't think he'll be Steve Spurrier. I think the better comparison will be Nick Saban. He came to the NFL with rave reviews from his time with LSU. He was put in the spotlight for his unconventional ways in the NFL. This article mentions the so called Saban System and why it doesn't work in the NFL, but we didn't know that in 2005-2006...or at least Miami Dolphins fans didn't.

Saban even expressed his excitement for Kelly here and mentioned some of the difficulties the newly minted NFL coach would face in having the same success in the NFL.

Basically when it comes down to it, the NFL is much different in terms of personnel. While Chip could hand pick who he wanted on his Oregon squad (or who he didn't want for that matter) the situation in Philadelphia is not the same. He's going to have to be great purely from a football standpoint- he's going to need to be a great coordinator, motivator, decision maker, etc. because you can't rely on the fact that you have superior talent and perfect fits for your system because you don't always have a choice in the matter.

I think that Spurrier was exposed as being less of an offensive genius and more of a good recruiter who could put together the right kinds of players. When he came to the NFL, his personnel selections left a lot to be desired. I think this may also be why college coaches from smaller programs can be better fits, since the success of their programs is usually driven more by good coaching than good managing. This is the problem Saban encountered. I think he had a problem with players who weren't on board and who he couldn't mold into what he needed to succeed.

Chip seems to be a better offensive mind and coach than Spurrier and Saban (though Saban is a defensive coach, but you all understand what I mean), and I think that he has some good players to work with. I don't really predict that he'll be a total failure, but for this immediate season I doubt he'll be able to get the current roster over 7-9 or so, and time will tell if he and Roseman can scrape together good players. I mean, if Spurrier had a good GM rather than Vinny Cerrato, he may have had some better years.

I think that Kelly will be disadvantaged by the fact that the Redskins and Giants will likely be the stronger of the 4 teams in this division for the next 4-5 years.

It's certainly a fair question. He comes from a WC team, far WC, to one of the most, if not the most hostile city to start a coaching career on the EC, if not the League. He's coming into a team that had the same coaching system for 15 years, a QB controversy, a WR controversy, & an unforgiving city. This is his 1st effort to coach at this level & it will be tough on him, there is no doubt.

I have heard & read several times now that he showed his hand a little in preseason & if that's true, I would have to lean more to the "yes, he's like SOS". If not, then it's possible he could succeed. However, whether he does or not, I wouldn't expect to see any real success from him & the Eagles for at least a couple seasons in his system.

As to be expected, we could see them get a good start on the season, filling the Philly fans with false hope, but it would only be because no one has film on them yet. That will more than likely change by the middle of the season.

Either way, they aren't good enough to beat us week 1.

• 3 weeks later...

If Miami had signed Drew Brees when they had the chance, I think Nick Saban would still be in the NFL.  Everything he does as a college coach is pro-style so it wasn't that his style didn't fit.  He knew that he needed a franchise QB in the NFL to succeed while in college he could recruit more 5/4 star prospects then anyone else and win national championships with an average QB. 

I hope he is Spurrier 2.0. But I don't think he is. 

IMO, the problem isn't the scheme, it's the QB. 

Vick will have a great game... but he always reverts back to being Michael Vick eventually.

Fumbles.

Holds on to the ball too long -- which is a real killer in Kelly's offense.

And even though no one throws a prettier ball, it often doesn't go where it should. 

To be fair, he doesn't have much in the wideout category outside of Jackson -- who Vick missed for huge gains last night several times.

The Eagles will probably be around 500 this year. Like the rest of the NFC East.

They will no doubt go after a QB in round one. Maybe the guy currently playing at Oregon.

Jimmy Johnson.

If he's too rigid in his methodology he'll fail.  The NFL being a copy cat league allows for someone who is innovative to have a shot, but there are certain philosophies that don't work in the transition.  One of the things that concerns me is his penchant to go for it on 4th down.  I think that's something that could potentially cause problems for other teams.

The random two point conversions as well. 

Ah, right! Thank you both. I knew I was forgetting someone.

Success is a sliding scale in terms of history.

Sid gillman is thought by many to be the father of the modern passing game.. he coached at Ohio State, Cincinnati, and Miami U before coming to the NFL.

he won a championship with the Chargers in the AFL.

Don Coryell started as a high school coach, then an NCAA coach, finally an NFL coach, who again revolutionized the passing game.

Bill Walsh was an assistant in the NFL and then became Stanford's head coach, and then came back to the NFL and built his dynasty.

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl.

But it doesn't happen very often.

~Bang

Archived