Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riley Cooper is really, really dumb. (Deadspin article)

Saying white people using the n-word is like black people using the word cracker is like saying stabbing someone to death is the same as giving someone a nasty paper cut.

I'm sorry, but when your ancestors subjugate and enslave an entire race for hundreds of years, and then spend at least 100 more years trying to treat those people as second class citizens and trying to deny them the same rights they have, then you are going to lose certain privileges, the least of which is going to be the inability to use the word that was used to disparage that race you enslaved and discriminated against for centuries, reaching into the present.

That black people use the word to describe each other or really anything doesn't really matter. Call it "unfair", but I'd say being able to twist a word that has it's roots in discrimination and prejudice s into some sort of positive term is what we can is a small victory in that whole "YOU ENSLAVED MY ANCESTORS" thing.

So you're saying that because of the color of a race's skin, they should be able to do/say things that other races cannot?  Seems like a step backwards to me.

How about this; black people can have the n-word, and white people can have literally every other advantage that comes with being white.

Flat out despicable post.   Why should any race "have" anything that another race should not?  What Cooper said was wrong.  It should be wrong for everyone to use a racial slur whatever it is.  It should NEVER be ok.  I'm not sure why this has turned into this kind of conversation.  Cooper was wrong.  Why is his entire race being blamed for what he said?  Why can't we just judge the person, and not the race?  As for the rest of your post, that probably belongs in the tailgate.  Not a topic for ATN.

Saying white people using the n-word is like black people using the word cracker is like saying stabbing someone to death is the same as giving someone a nasty paper cut.

I'm sorry, but when your ancestors subjugate and enslave an entire race for hundreds of years, and then spend at least 100 more years trying to treat those people as second class citizens and trying to deny them the same rights they have, then you are going to lose certain privileges, the least of which is going to be the inability to use the word that was used to disparage that race you enslaved and discriminated against for centuries, reaching into the present.

That black people use the word to describe each other or really anything doesn't really matter. Call it "unfair", but I'd say being able to twist a word that has it's roots in discrimination and prejudice s into some sort of positive term is what we can is a small victory in that whole "YOU ENSLAVED MY ANCESTORS" thing.

So you're saying that because of the color of a race's skin, they should be able to do/say things that other races cannot?  Seems like a step backwards to me.

I agree.  It's flawed to think that every white person's ancestors owned slaves.  Many ancestors of white people were poor Irish immigrants or poor immigrants from a European country.  Many white people have ancestors that were serfs. 

Honestly, if you cannot see the issue then there is no point discussing this.

I agree.  It's flawed to think that every white person's ancestors owned slaves.  Many ancestors of white people were poor Irish immigrants or poor immigrants from a European country.  Many white people have ancestors that were serfs. 

Honestly, if you cannot see the issue then there is no point discussing this.

What issue do you mean exactly?   I'm not sure what you're referring to.  I understand when blacks call each other the N word that it's more in jest.  It still doesn't make sense for black people to call each other that though.  When a word is considered that bad, it shouldn't be used by anyone.  That said, to each their own.  If black people want to call other black people the N word, that's on them.  If it makes them happy then it's not for me to tell them to stop.

How about this; black people can have the n-word, and white people can have literally every other advantage that comes with being white.

Flat out despicable post.   Why should any race "have" anything that another race should not?  What Cooper said was wrong.  It should be wrong for everyone to use a racial slur whatever it is.  It should NEVER be ok.  I'm not sure why this has turned into this kind of conversation.  Cooper was wrong.  Why is his entire race being blamed for what he said?  Why can't we just judge the person, and not the race?  As for the rest of your post, that probably belongs in the tailgate.  Not a topic for ATN.

I'm not blaming an entire race. What I'm saying is, I've seen several people in here say that the word shouldn't be used period if white people can't use it, and I've seen people say "well he only say it because he was drunk and now he's being villified", and I've seen people try to dance around make excuses, and one dude on Twitter told me that the n-word isn't even racist now-a-days. Someone actually said that to me.

It may not seem "fair", but the fact of the matter is, there's about several centuries of oppression and hatred behind the n-word when it comes from white people. Like I said, that some (not all, but some) black people have turned it into a word of empowerment or just a general descriptor doesn't make the word okay, doesn't erase all the terrible history behind the word. I don't use the word much myself. I don't like it, I don't like it when people use it around me. But I don't care if other black people use it.

It may seem "unfair", or weird that black people can say it (hell, even some Hispanic people can say it), but white people can't. But that's the way it is. Like I said, love it or hate it, that's the way it is. 

When a word is considered that bad, it shouldn't be used by anyone.

Everytime I have tried to say this about the world "Redskins" people yell at me and question my fanhood.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know "It's not the same thing", yadda yadda yadda"...

I'm not blaming an entire race. What I'm saying is, I've seen several people in here say that the word shouldn't be used period if white people can't use it, and I've seen people say "well he only say it because he was drunk and now he's being villified", and I've seen people try to dance around make excuses, and one dude on Twitter told me that the n-word isn't even racist now-a-days. Someone actually said that to me.

I've seen those same kinda commments, and I agree they are completely retarded.  Especially that the N-word is not racist anymore.  Riley should be judged harshly.  Maybe I'm just naive.  Where I grew up, race was simply not an issue between me and my friends.  We were just buddies, didn't matter what any of us looked like.  I miss that.

"What the hell's going on out here?" --Vince Lombardi

Mods please shut this BS down!

Or....or....you can just leave

How undiplomatic of you. Fine. Ya'll bicker amongst yourselves in "Around the NFL". I seriously doubt this "discussion" is going anywhere. I figured this thread was to discuss the current disarray of the Eagles.

"NLC1054: When a word is considered that bad, it shouldn't be used by anyone.

Everytime I have tried to say this about the world "Redskins" people yell at me and question my fanhood.

Yeah yeah yeah, I know "It's not the same thing", yadda yadda yadda"..."

Oh please. Sorry to derail slightly from Cooper's moronic actions, but keep this dribble in the Tailgate Redskins name change thread. The n word wasn't started by black people and today it is viewed as offensive. Redskins was started by Native Americans and the most recent poll showed 90% of Native Americans don't have a problem with the name. If the two were indeed the same then there would have been so much vitriol for so long over it that the name would have been changed decades ago. 90% of NA people don't have an issue with, 70+% of all Americans don't think the name should be changed either. The "yadda yadda" is indicative of you being well aware of this and just shrugging it off, as if you know better than Native Americans. Now THAT they may consider to be offensive.

Back on topic: Cooper is a moron. There is the expression "a drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts." He used the word from a place of anger and in a manner that suggests he's used it before and it wasn't an accident. There are a lot of words in the English language, not that hard to use a different one. Hopefully this tears apart the Eagles locker room.

Also, don't care about Vick's response, he is still a scumbag.

Al Sharpton probably had a field day on Riley today!  Cooper is such an idiot.  When your a celebrity (he isn't good but people know who he is) you really have to be a saint anywhere you go because camera's will be watching.  It's even worse when you basically look at the camera and make sure it was heard on tape.  Sad McCoy can't forgive something verbal as opposed to a complete mental maniac who played with himself while watching dogs get mutilated.  Some people have priorities completely backwards.  Sounds like McCoy is trying to get media attention on himself.

I could have told you several years ago that Cooper was an A-hole. He played Valley League Baseball here in the summer of 2008. I saw him get all fired up and take a cheap shot on our unprotected catcher. As the crowd booed him and refs threw him out of the game, he started acting all bad-azz and wanted to fight the entire crowd. What a jerk.

edit. It was 2008

I could have told you several years ago that Cooper was an A-hole. He played Valley League Baseball here in the summer of 2007. I saw him get all fired up and take a cheap shot on our unprotected catcher. As the crowd booed him and refs threw him out of the game, he started acting all bad-azz and wanted to fight the entire crowd. What a jerk.

Heh, sounds like Ty Cobb. Well, at least, even more like Ty Cobb.

Cooper is such an idiot.  

Sad McCoy can't forgive something verbal as opposed to a complete mental maniac who played with himself while watching dogs get mutilated.  Some people have priorities completely backwards.  Sounds like McCoy is trying to get media attention on himself.

1. Agreed

2. McCoy actually did forgive Riley Cooper for his comments. He said as such. McCoy was stopped by Albert Breer and Albert proceeded to ask him his opinion on the topic. McCoy didn't stand on a Philly street corner and ask for people to listen. I don't think he desired this situation.

Riley Cooper is dumb. Drunk or not he does not have the right to use that word. That being said nobody has the right to use the word. The statement that the N word has been claimed by black people and its more acceptable for them to say it is absolutely ridiculous. The word needs to be buried forever and not used by anyone. Everyone should be held to the same standard. You cant pick and choose when the word is acceptable.

@SkinsFanRob

Actually, everyone has the right to say that word, it's just incredibly more acceptable for AA's to use it, given the word's history. That's a fact. 

You want to bury the word "n-word", I'm all for it, but those select AA's that do use the 'N' word do not call each other "n-word" as a term of endearment, they use the term '"n-word"'. Big BIG difference. If you're not familiar with the history of the word '"n-word"' look it up or just browse through the previous pages of this thread. They took power away from the word "n-word" by turning it into something that doesn't represent hate.

So in essence, no one is picking when the word is acceptable b/c it's not just one word we're talking about here. 

Also, does it bother you that much that that you can't use the word? Serious question. Do you, or anyone that agrees with him, have a strong desire to use it, but fear backlash b/c of it? I'm hearing the same argument from you that others have expressed in this thread and I find it odd.

"If other races can't use the word "n-word" or "n-word", then damnit, black people shouldn't be able to either" is what I'm hearing...

There is no reason for the use of either N word among some in the black community to bother you, unless you agree with that sentence above. I

Lesean McCoy and Michael Vick's past are irrelevant to the topic at hand. 

Actually they are VERY relevant to this topic.

1.They are his teammates that he has to face on a daily basis.

2.His teammates are drawn into the controversy by being asked and answering questions on topic.

3.People asking if Vick can be forgiven for serious, reprehensible, ILLEGAL activities, why can't Cooper makes Vick relevant to the topic.

Lesean McCoy and Michael Vick's past are irrelevant to the topic at hand. 

Actually they are VERY relevant to this topic.

1.They are his teammates that he has to face on a daily basis.

2.His teammates are drawn into the controversy by being asked and answering questions on topic.

3.People asking if Vick can be forgiven for serious, reprehensible, ILLEGAL activities, why can't Cooper makes Vick relevant to the topic.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the racial slur is a bit more divisive than the dog issues. 

It was a huge deal b/c of Vick's stature in the league, IMO. 

Vick and McCoy had good points....but to be dismissive of what they said due to what they've done in the past is moronic, IMO. 

To me, a good point is a good point.  Sometimes it hardly matters who says it.  Look, you and me specifically have had our differences in opinion.  However, if you say something that I agree with, I'll be the first person to co-sign. 

Fighting dogs is specifically offensive to dog lovers not black people. What Cooper said is not on the same level as running a dog fighting operation to a guy like McCoy who may have experienced dog fighting growing up in PA and is insensitive to it like most black people and non-dog lovers. It's also much easier to side with your own race like we can see in this very thread with all the excuses being made for Cooper.

Fighting dogs is specifically offensive to dog lovers not black people. What Cooper said is not on the same level as running a dog fighting operation to a guy like McCoy who may have experienced dog fighting growing up in PA and is insensitive to it like most black people and non-dog lovers. It's also much easier to side with your own race like we can see in this very thread with all the excuses being made for Cooper.

Who's making excuses for Cooper? What he did was despicable.

In thinking about it...Cooper made these comments about a month ago, right?  Is the only reason why he's remorseful b/c he was caught? 

In thinking about it...Cooper made these comments about a month ago, right?  Is the only reason why he's remorseful b/c he was caught? 

Who knows? I just find it hard to believe that he's a full-blown racist considering he plays a sport where he is actually a minority. Doesn't make his use of the word any less magnified though.

>In thinking about it...Cooper made these comments about a month ago, right?  Is the only reason why he's remorseful b/c he was caught? 

Who knows? I just find it hard to believe that he's a full-blown racist considering he plays a sport where he is actually a minority. Doesn't make his use of the word any less magnified though.

Personally, I think he is racist.  There was hate in his voice and behind the word he said. 

Could have a lot of pent up aggression, for whatever the reason. 

Getting caught does make people finally face consequences.  I think he is remorseful.  Don't underestimate the shame and humiliation he felt when he had to face his teammates, especially since most of his teammates are black.  It's probably one of the hardest and uncomfortable things he ever had to do. 

Archived