Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riley Cooper is really, really dumb. (Deadspin article)

I dislike how people use the word "racist" so loosely.    When somebody nerd rages about something and says something stupid like the n-word, I don't think that automatically makes them a racist.    I think the word racist or bigot should be applied to those who try to harm other races or creeds, such as bullying or harassing a gay person, intimidating a family in the neighborhood because they are a different race or try to push a racist agenda.  In other words, if there was a video of Paula Deen BBQing ribs at a KKK rally, then obviously she's racist or has a lot of explaining to do. She would deserve to lose her empire. However, I don't think she should be labeled a racist for saying the N-word 20 years ago.  What happened to her was a witch hunt IMO.

A lot of times the people who want someone's life to be ruined because they said a derogatory term come across as hypocrites, because I bet if you could see the things in their life that they've said in the past, I'm sure there was a time when they said the F-word (gay men) or something that could be considered racial or offensive.  If they say they didn't, they are a liar or a godly saint.

People need to be careful about wishing harm and judging too harshly on those who messed up because one day that same degree of judgement will come back to you.

Matthew 7:2

1"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?…

You don't need to hold a KKK Rally to be a racist. Plenty of racists (especially these days) have to hide it really well, in order to not end up out of a job. If they don't then I'm sure there's always the nearest Skinhead [insert any other hate group] club. It doesn't matter if they are indeed racist or not, or if they even meant it or not. What both of them said was indeed racist, and they deserve to be called on it... hood/robes or not.

Are you the type of person who believes that the right to free speech means that you have the right to say whatever you want towards anyone you want, and expect no consequences? Can you go on a racist tirade, or make a racist joke in front of your boss, or toward a coworker (or doing anything else outrageously stupid for that matter) and expect to keep your job or your career? No? Neither can I.

It's kind of ridiculous that he could forgive himself for being a complete douche and then forgive his QB for destroying living things however he can no longer be friends with a guy who said a word while drunk...

Mccoy said he forgave him, now he has to still be his friend too? lol c'mon, Embrace this skins nation!

He also didn't just say 'a' word. He said "n-word" and threatened to fight every "n-word" there.

Why are people flaming McCoy for this comment. He's not on trial here. He forgave Riley. That's all you can ask for

So you would stop being friends with a guy who said a word, however you would stay friends with a guy who tortured innocent animals?  Saying he can't respect Riley Cooper but supports and respects Vick is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

Whoa. The filter doesn't work on the N word?

Anyway, I agree with those that say that you don't accidentally say that word when you're drunk unless you use it otherwise. 

I'm with Oprah on this one. You shouldn't use that word ever. No matter what your race is. Shouldn't matter if you're angry, drunk or just kidding around.

I'm kind of disturbed that there are some people that believe that blacks can walk around and call each other niggas and niggers with no consequences.  I don't use those slurs with my friends and family and they don't it to me.  There would be problems if either of us did.  I can't just walk up to some random black guy and call him a "n-word" and him be okay with it just because I'm black.

If I got caught on video making racial slurs towards whites or anyone, I'd lose my job.

Why are people flaming McCoy for this comment. He's not on trial here. He forgave Riley. That's all you can ask for

I am not going to "flame" McCoy, but I will say I am kind of disappointed to hear what he had to say. I would have loved to hear him say, "I don't know what Riley's intention was, but as a teammate, I will try to understand his true intentions and let him know that either way I am not cool with what he said."

But by giving him the cold shoulder, I think it sends the wrong message.

I dislike how people use the word "racist" so loosely.    When somebody nerd rages about something and says something stupid like the n-word, I don't think that automatically makes them a racist.    I think the word racist or bigot should be applied to those who try to harm other races or creeds, such as bullying or harassing a gay person, intimidating a family in the neighborhood because they are a different race or try to push a racist agenda.  In other words, if there was a video of Paula Deen BBQing ribs at a KKK rally, then obviously she's racist or has a lot of explaining to do. She would deserve to lose her empire. However, I don't think she should be labeled a racist for saying the N-word 20 years ago.  What happened to her was a witch hunt IMO.

A lot of times the people who want someone's life to be ruined because they said a derogatory term come across as hypocrites, because I bet if you could see the things in their life that they've said in the past, I'm sure there was a time when they said the F-word (gay men) or something that could be considered racial or offensive.  If they say they didn't, they are a liar or a godly saint.

People need to be careful about wishing harm and judging too harshly on those who messed up because one day that same degree of judgement will come back to you.

1"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?…

You don't need to hold a KKK Rally to be a racist. Plenty of racists (especially these days) have to hide it really well, in order to not end up out of a job. If they don't then I'm sure there's always the nearest Skinhead [insert any other hate group] club. It doesn't matter if they are indeed racist or not, or if they even meant it or not. What both of them said was indeed racist, and they deserve to be called on it... hood/robes or not.

Are you the type of person who believes that the right to free speech means that you have the right to say whatever you want towards anyone you want, and expect no consequences? Can you go on a racist tirade, or make a racist joke in front of your boss, or toward a coworker (or doing anything else outrageously stupid for that matter) and expect to keep your job or your career? No? Neither can I.

Yes, I am a person who believes in free speech.   I also believe there are consequences.  I disagree with the severity of punishments though. 

Yes, it would be stupid to go on a racial tirade in front of your co-workers and boss, especially if you are white.  Riley Cooper wasn't at work.  I assume he was with friends at the country concert.  He probably had a few drinks.  He got pissed for whatever reason and said stupid stuff.  It was caught on camera.  Now he has to go on an apology tour. 

He has to face his teammates.   I don't think he should lose his career though.

It's kind of ridiculous that he could forgive himself for being a complete douche and then forgive his QB for destroying living things however he can no longer be friends with a guy who said a word while drunk...

Mccoy said he forgave him, now he has to still be his friend too? lol c'mon, Embrace this skins nation!

He also didn't just say 'a' word. He said "n-word" and threatened to fight every "n-word" there.

So you would stop being friends with a guy who said a word, however you would stay friends with a guy who tortured innocent animals?  Saying he can't respect Riley Cooper but supports and respects Vick is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard is "I'm going to fight every "n-word" here". You keep saying 'a word'. He said arguably the most disgusting, hateful word in the English language.

That said, if one of my good white friends/co-workers was in the situation Riley is in right now, I'd forgive him and move on after a 1-1 conversation. Same w/ Vick when he went through the dog issues. I happen to forgive easily, b/c I'd want others to do the same for me when I **** up. McCoy, maybe not. So be it. 

I don't blame McCoy for not wanting to be buddy buddy w/ Riley anymore. We're all different. Again, he forgave him. The fact that you need him to do more than that is insane.  

Whoa. The filter doesn't work on the N word?

Anyway, I agree with those that say that you don't accidentally say that word when you're drunk unless you use it otherwise. 

I'm with Oprah on this one. You shouldn't use that word ever. No matter what your race is. Shouldn't matter if you're angry, drunk or just kidding around.

I've always thought of the "They were drunk" excuse  as BS anyways, no matter what is said or done by anyone, ever. All it means is that they weren't bold enough to say it or do it without alcohol overriding their critical thinking. I can't get drunk (not that I drink anymore) and all of a sudden know quantum physics

***Mods, if you see this thread and want to close it, then that's cool. But I hope that you leave it open and move it to the tailgate because I feel that this is a topic that people need to talk about. But if one of you thinks it will get too much out of control, then by all means close it. But I think this is something that needs to be discussed.***

My best college friend is a white guy from West Virginia.  He'd never use that term with me and I'd never use any racial slurs with him (or anywhere else).  We don't even have to talk about it.  It is common sense.

You know what?

Some of you are right. The world is too PC. I make race jokes all the time in jest amongst friends (white and black). If a white dude jokingly says, "For the hoes, my "n-word"" (a line from a popular rap song), I have no issue. Ppl get too serious about stuff like that. However, I don't think it's necessary to say that particular word ever if you're white but if you do, I won't get mad

Riley Cooper's issue was that he was clearly pissed and meant it in hate. That's were the line is drawn.

People lose friends for a lot less serious/dumber reasons than what Riley did lol

You guys must have an agenda or something. McCoy lost respect for a guy who said he would fight every "n-word" in his vicinity. You cant blame him for that.

Just like some Eagles players probably lost respect for McCoy when he allegedly held down a girl, poured water on her, pushed her, and kicked her off his party bus (Sure doesn't sound like a 'party' bus to me) 

Yes, I am a person who believes in free speech.   I also believe there are consequences.  I disagree with the severity of punishments though. 

Yes, it would be stupid to go on a racial tirade in front of your co-workers and boss, especially if you are white.  Riley Cooper wasn't at work.  I assume he was with friends at the country concert.  He probably had a few drinks.  He got pissed for whatever reason and said stupid stuff.  It was caught on camera.  Now he has to go on an apology tour. 

Poor white people... right? Is that what this comes down to? Poor white people who can't get the same treatment as everyone else in a public setting when they say something racist. What a horrible lopsided and unfair world world white people  live in... right? Maybe I should get up and scream "I hate black people!" Loud enough (in front of bosses, coworkers, patients, etc) so everyone in the entire building can hear me. I'll take your word that instead of kicking my ass out of the building or at the very least suspending me for a lengthy period of time, they'll probably just tell me to keep my voice down.

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard is "I'm going to fight every "n-word" here". You keep saying 'a word'. He said arguably the most disgusting, hateful word in the English language.

That said, if one of my good white friends/co-workers was in the situation Riley is in right now, I'd forgive him and move on after a 1-1 conversation. Same w/ Vick when he went through the dog issues. I happen to forgive easily, b/c I'd want others to do the same for me when I **** up. McCoy, maybe not. So be it. 

I don't blame McCoy for not wanting to be buddy buddy w/ Riley anymore. We're all different. Again, he forgave him. The fact that you need him to do more than that is insane.  

You're not seeing the point I'm trying to make so I'll just leave it alone.

You're not seeing the point I'm trying to make so I'll just leave it alone.

No dude, you're point was just really really misguided.

You're bringing up irrelevant points on other people's lives that have nothing to do with the topic in question

Brave-

I understand him not wanting to be friends with Riley Cooper anymore, completely justifiable.  It just seems completely odd that he has no level of respect for a guy like Cooper yet respects and stays friends with Michael Vick...I never said he needed to stay friends with Riley and honestly I can see why he wouldn't want to so please don't take it that way.

More! From anonymous Eagles

“I’ll tell you one thing, if it was Andy Reid, he would have gotten more than a fine,” one player said without using his name.

“The coaches are saying we should think team first, but this is just crazy,” another said. “Was he thinking about the team when he said that?”

“If he’s on the team, he’s on the team,” a player said. “Don’t mean I have to like him.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/01/anonymous-grumbling-about-cooper-begins/

Poor white people... right? Is that what this comes down to? Poor white people who can't get the same treatment as everyone else in a public setting when they say something racist. What a horrible lopsided and unfair world world white people  live in... right? Maybe I should get up and scream "I hate black people!" Loud enough (in front of bosses, coworkers, patients, etc) so everyone in the entire building can hear me. I'll take your word that instead of kicking my ass out of the building or at the very least suspending me for a lengthy period of time, they'll probably just tell me to keep my voice down.

Alright, now you're coming across as overly dramatic and it's hard to take you seriously now.

Saying white people using the n-word is like black people using the word cracker is like saying stabbing someone to death is the same as giving someone a nasty paper cut.

I'm sorry, but when your ancestors subjugate and enslave an entire race for hundreds of years, and then spend at least 100 more years trying to treat those people as second class citizens and trying to deny them the same rights they have, then you are going to lose certain privileges, the least of which is going to be the inability to use the word that was used to disparage that race you enslaved and discriminated against for centuries, reaching into the present.

That black people use the word to describe each other or really anything doesn't really matter. Call it "unfair", but I'd say being able to twist a word that has it's roots in discrimination and prejudice s into some sort of positive term is what we can is a small victory in that whole "YOU ENSLAVED MY ANCESTORS" thing.

This won't go away and he'll eventually get more discipline.  Kobe got fined 100K for using the f word, double the fine of Cooper (team issued fines for conduct can't exceed $37,500).  Don't get the hate for McCoy, he was being brutally honest.  The way Cooper said that word was disgusting and the fact that he said it was the first time he's ever said that before is laughable.

Saying white people using the n-word is like black people using the word cracker is like saying stabbing someone to death is the same as giving someone a nasty paper cut.

I'm sorry, but when your ancestors subjugate and enslave an entire race for hundreds of years, and then spend at least 100 more years trying to treat those people as second class citizens and trying to deny them the same rights they have, then you are going to lose certain privileges, the least of which is going to be the inability to use the word that was used to disparage that race you enslaved and discriminated against for centuries, reaching into the present.

That black people use the word to describe each other or really anything doesn't really matter. Call it "unfair", but I'd say being able to twist a word that has it's roots in discrimination and prejudice s into some sort of positive term is what we can is a small victory in that whole "YOU ENSLAVED MY ANCESTORS" thing.

So you're saying that because of the color of a race's skin, they should be able to do/say things that other races cannot?  Seems like a step backwards to me.

So you're saying that because of the color of a race's skin, they should be able to do/say things that other races cannot?  Seems like a step backwards to me.

How about this; black people can have the n-word, and white people can have literally every other advantage that comes with being white.

I agree.  It's flawed to think that every white person's ancestors owned slaves.  Many ancestors of white people were poor Irish immigrants or poor immigrants from a European country.  Many white people have ancestors that were serfs. 

funny.  i used to use the "n" word with my friends when I was younger.  but then i met my wife, who is from south carolina, and told me horror stories about how her parents were called the N word all the time in the 70s.  I'll never, EVER, use that word again.

Cooper is a d-bag, and I have zero tolerance for what he did.  I work in a federal gov't office, and if I were to use the N word, I'd be fired immediately. 

an interesting point Sal Palantonio (sp) made earlier today.  If Jeremy Maclin wasn't out for the year, you wonder if Riley would still be on this team....

Archived