Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that people have shown that OKC scores more if the ball starts in Westbrook's hands than if it does not.

It takes work to develop outlet passing chemistry between rebounders and the PG.  Does OKC work on it?  I doubt it if their bigs are lousy outlet passers.

And even if they score more from Westbrook crashing the glass, does that offset the negative effect that comes from the fact their guard doesn't play defense?  I don't think so.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think that's an understatement.  They would have been a dynasty.  Imagine if swapped out Klay Thomas with James Harden right now?  The Warriors would be a shoe in to win like six titles in a row.  That's what the Thunder had until their penny pinching ownership forced them to dump Harden in order to avoid paying luxury tax.

The Harden trade is, IMO, the worst trade of the last 30 years or so.  They dumped him to avoid paying what looks like a laughably small contract in light of the cap explosion (like 16 million per) and got Steven Adams in return.  If they had just paid the tax and kept Harden then I bet SA doesn't go to the Finals in '14 and Cleveland doesn't win in '16.  And OKC would have probably been favored over that '13 Miami title team too.  Good chance they'd already have three rings, with the only one they'd have missed being the year GS won when Durant was injured.

Through it all, they ended up w/ Oladipo/Sabonis/filler for Harden. 

Man....SMH.  Completely messed up. 

*Melo news:

Sources w/ @WojVerticalNBA + @ChrisMannixYS: New York's reached out to Celtics, Clippers on a Carmelo Anthony trade.

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

I hate the uncontested rebound stat,mostly because people insist on using it as a bad thing. It's not and contested boards aren't better.  

You know what I see generating contested rebounds most often?  Failing to move towards the box out assignment prior to turning to the basket.  Instead guys just turn and put their arms up... if the ball goes over them they scream, flail their arms, and pretend they were pushed.  Thats not great rebounding but it makes your rebounding stats look better because ooooo contested rebounds!  Horse****.  

oh.... and everyone that pays attention knows Westbrook is an awful defender.  At least this season he has reasons for it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Destino said:

You know what I see generating contested rebounds most often?  Failing to move towards the box out assignment prior to turning to the basket.  Instead guys just turn and put their arms up... if the ball goes over them they scream, flail their arms, and pretend they were pushed.  Thats not great rebounding but it makes your rebounding stats look better because ooooo contested rebounds!  Horse****.  

Destino the reason someone who gets a lot of contested rebounds is a better rebounder than someone who gets mostly uncontested rebounds is the same as the reason why someone who is good at hitting dribble pull ups is a better scorer than someone who only hits lay ups and dunks.

Being good at tough rebounding is absolutely a skill.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Destino the reason someone who gets a lot of contested rebounds is a better rebounder than someone who gets mostly uncontested rebounds is the same as the reason why someone who is good at hitting dribble pull ups is a better scorer than someone who only hits lay ups and dunks.

Being good at tough rebounding is absolutely a skill.

The best rebounding players in the game all get "mostly" uncontested rebounds.  There is only one player that averages 7 or more rebounds per game that is getting most of his rebounds on contested opportunities... superstar Robin Lopez.  Sure he only gets 7 total rebounds a game, but a whopping 61.2% of them are contested!  He's a monster! ... Then again maybe he's just slow?

Back to Westbrook, you know who gets fewer contested rebounds per game than he does this season?  Lebron James and Kevin Durant.  If asked to choose one of the three to get one crucial rebound to end a game, anyone picking Westbrook?  No. 

I realize I'm being too literal there Steve and you're right, the best rebounding players get a lot of contested rebounds.  Westbrook's numbers are an aberration caused by a strategy OKC is employing.  Most players getting a lot of uncontested boards aren't doing so because two other players clearing a path for them or by being out of position.  They are getting them because they are in constantly in the right place, and usually because they are also quick to the ball. 

Rondo:

My vets would never go to the media. They would come to the team. My vets didn’t pick and choose when they wanted to bring it. They brought it every time they stepped in the gym whether it was practice or a game. They didn’t take days off. My vets didn’t care about their numbers. My vets played for the team. When we lost, they wouldn’t blame us. They took responsibility and got in the gym. They showed the young guys what it meant to work. Even in Boston when we had the best record in the league, if we lost a game, you could hear a pin drop on the bus. They showed us the seriousness of the game. My vets didn’t have an influence on the coaching staff. They couldn’t change the plan because it didn’t work for them. I played under one of the greatest coaches, and he held everyone accountable. It takes 1-15 to win. When you isolate everyone, you can’t win consistently. I may be a lot of things, but I’m not a bad teammate. My goal is to pass what I learned along. The young guys work. They show up. They don’t deserve blame. If anything is questionable, it’s the leadership.

Rajon Rondo Went In On Dwyane Wade And Jimmy Butler

There was never a chance of Rondo staying quiet after Wade and Butler went full stupid yesterday. 

Speaking of stupid the East is taking 7 guards (Giannis is tall, but he is his teams starting PG) to the allstar game and no centers. 

AllStar rosters

East Guards:  Kyrie, DeRozan, Isaiah, Wall, Lowry, Kemba.  4point guards, 2 shooting guards. 

Front Court:  Lebron, Butler, Giannis, Love, Geroge, Millsap 1 point guard, 3 small forwards, 2 power fowards. 

West Guards: Curry, Harden, Westbrook, Klay  3 PG, 1 SG

Front Court:  Durant, Kawhi, Davis, Draymond, Cousins, Gasol, Deandre, Hawyward 3 SF, 3 PF, 3 C

After all the nonsense that the fan voting presented, the coaches got the rest of the AS rosters right.  There were no snubs on the East roster, Porzingis and Embiid were not deserving and the absence of Melo and Wade means more deserving guards who are in their prime get in.  And because of the CP3 and Griffin injuries, the West roster looks right too, except maybe you could argue for leaving off DeAndre Jordan and taking Mike Conley.  The Clippers deserved to get a player in the game though, and DJ is going to be a good AS game player.

As always, the West roster is better, but I think the East actually has a chance this year because the whole roster can shoot and LeBron, Giannis, and Wall are facilitators.

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Can't take Embiid over Millsap.  He's a better AS game player than Millsap no doubt, but you can't take a 25 MPG guy whose missed a quarter of the season and plays for a lottery team over the guy whose the best player and leader of the four seed.

This is from last week...

BenGolliver
Sixers' defensive rating w/ Embiid = No. 1 in NBA. Sixers' defensive rating w/o Embiid = No. 25 in NBA. pic.twitter.com/v6p8HHr5ss
1/18/17, 10:07 PM

johnschuhmann
Embiid a +20 in a game the Sixers won by 5. He's now a +68 for a team that's 14-26.
1/18/17, 9:37 PM

3 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I love what has happens to the Cavs after the Warriors embarrassed them. 

They won the championship. 

• Like 1