Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Steph Curry sucked tonight.  Surprising.  He had a rough AS weekend.  Kevin Love wasn't that great either.  I thought we'd see more from Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge too.

CP3 showed he definitely should have started over Curry...  He and Griffin and Durant were outstanding.

Also, James Harden is the worst.  Pretty quiet in a game where you don't get to be bailed out by the refs constantly.  **** him.

Kyrie played really well and was the best on the East (thought Melo killed it).  But Blake Griffin was the MVP IMO.  He was spectacular and dominant.

Steph Curry sucked tonight.  Surprising.  He had a rough AS weekend.  Kevin Love wasn't that great either.  I thought we'd see more from Damian Lillard and LaMarcus Aldridge too.

CP3 showed he definitely should have started over Curry...  He and Griffin and Durant were outstanding.

Also, James Harden is the worst.  Pretty quiet in a game where you don't get to be bailed out by the refs constantly.  **** him.

Kyrie played really well and was the best on the East (thought Melo killed it).  But Blake Griffin was the MVP IMO.  He was spectacular and dominant.

Kyrie played a lot better than really well and the MVP usually go to the player on the winning team.

• Like 2

Final thoughts on the dunk contest that the entire media is trashing. Keep the new format because three attempts is way better than the clock they used in the past. Watching guys miss over and over again is horrible tv and the old format was HORRIBLE. Add two contestants for a total of 8. Have east west pair off and compete round by round... Until you get one individual winner even if the remaining players are in the same conference. 4 battles, then two, then one for the winner.

Also it is time for 1 on 1. Everyone (yes, everyone) wants to see it. I don't know if you do it allstar weekend or after/before the season but the time has come. Give it to us NBA!

Edited by Destino

Agreed. But I think the only reason Irving isn't having a better year is because of all the nonsense he is enduring in Cleveland.

Irving brought a lot of his problems on himself.  He got benched for not playing hard and not competing on defense, that's not Chris Grant's fault.  And he's hurt himself by not improving the areas everyone knows he's needed to improve since day one.  He's not really better than he was his rookie year.

Kyrie played a lot better than really well and the MVP usually go to the player on the winning team.

Sure.  I think it always goes to a player on the winning team.  But the one guy in this game who stood out above everyone was Griffin.  He was putting up Wilt numbers and running the floor like his shoes were on fire.  And his barrage of dunks was awesome.  He goes hard every time.  Crazy motor.  I used to despite the guy, but I like seeing the player that Griffin has matured into.  I think the battles between him and Anthony Davis are going to be epic in a few years.

Steve, Irving had 24 of his 31 pts in the 2nd half, where the East rallied from 18 down. Plus he had 14 assists. It was a no brainer.

Who are you arguing with? Wall deserved to start because he's been better this year. Then you said the reason Irving has been worse this season is because of Cleveland's off the court problems. Then I pointed out that Kyrie's brought a lot of his problems on himself. Are you now trying to argue that Irving is better because he put up all those stats in the AS game?

Who are you arguing with? Wall deserved to start because he's been better this year. Then you said the reason Irving has been worse this season is because of Cleveland's off the court problems. Then I pointed out that Kyrie's brought a lot of his problems on himself. Are you now trying to argue that Irving is better because he put up all those stats in the AS game?

I'm not arguing anything. I quoted the post where you were saying Blake Griffin should have won MVP.

Kobe Bryant was voted an AS starter this year. Hell Yao Ming would be voted an AS starter this year and the lead vote getter if they put his name on the ballot. The AS game should never determine anything of substance. It's just for fun. It's a way to show off the flashy talent of the NBA for one night and for the players to get a break, go to some parties, work on their brand, and take part in some good-natured competition with their buddies.

Westbrook is coming back Thursday. Wonder how his knee really is?

OKC was rolling and now there's going to be an adjustment. But it's best for Westbrook to get back in ASAP so that he can work himself back into shape in time for the playoffs. At this point, OKC's seeding is less important than getting Westbrook ready for the postseason.

OKC has a great chance to win it all this year. I'm feeling an Indy vs OKC final.

The Sixers were said to be drafting Wiggins in this years draft before the season and most still believe the Sixers will draft Wiggins. I've been on the Wiggins bandwagon myself, but the more I see of him the more I see him being Evan Turner II. All the critics talk about all this upside he has, but I've noticed that he has disappeared in quite a few games. Parker on the other hand looks like an instant star. Dude's got game.

If you're the Sixers, who would you draft?

The Sixers were said to be drafting Wiggins in this years draft before the season and most still believe the Sixers will draft Wiggins. I've been on the Wiggins bandwagon myself, but the more I see of him the more I see him being Evan Turner II. All the critics talk about all this upside he has, but I've noticed that he has disappeared in quite a few games. Parker on the other hand looks like an instant star. Dude's got game.

I'm still waiting for Wiggins to have that offensive explosion that will silence a lot of critics.  Gonna be interested to see if he can take his game to the next level both in the conference tourney and also in the NCAAs.  Honestly, I feel as though he's not even the best NBA prospect on his own team.  The hype surrounding him was crazy.  This is a kid, who before he played one college game, was mentioned amongst the likes of Lebron.  If I'm the Sixers, I'm looking at both Parker and Embiid. 

Joel Embiid. I'd trade Nerlens, he probably still has good trade value and then I'd draft Embiid. Embiid is a future All Star two way true center.

Jabari Parker is a lower middle class man's Carmelo Anthony IMO. He scores and rebounds like a star PF but the kid is just hopeless defensively. He's a worse defender than Anthony Bennett was. Judging by the way he plays and the way Kyrie defends, Coach K has entirely ceased teaching and caring about defense.

I also don't see a clean NBA position for him. People aren't really acknowledging it, but he's one of the bad kinds of tweeners--not fast enough to defend the smaller position, not quite big enough to play the big one. That's opposed to the good kind of tweener like Durant or LeBron--fast enough to play the small one, big enough to play the big one.

The way Wiggins plays bothers me. I see waaaaaay too much Vince Carter in him. That's who I think he's going to end up like. Vince was an amazing athletic talent too. And he was a great player. But Vince is a second banana and I fear Wiggins will be too.

Parker is not a worse defender than Bennett was. Bennett often literally failed to defend his assignment at all. He'd be looking in the wrong direction entirely disinterested in defense. Bennett was a special kind of lazy that you don't see too often in players that get a lot of minutes.

Parker will be a fine offensive SF in the NBA.

Edited by Destino

I'm still waiting for Wiggins to have that offensive explosion that will silence a lot of critics.  Gonna be interested to see if he can take his game to the next level both in the conference tourney and also in the NCAAs.  Honestly, I feel as though he's not even the best NBA prospect on his own team.  The hype surrounding him was crazy.  This is a kid, who before he played one college game, was mentioned amongst the likes of Lebron.  If I'm the Sixers, I'm looking at both Parker and Embiid.

Wiggins isn't ready to lead a team every night. He's way too willing to just blend in and play the role of wing outlet. Some of it is certainly Self's system, which restricts the roles of its wings a ton. But Wiggins has demonstrated a clear pattern of passivity.

I don't really believe in Parker as a true franchise talent. Unless he gets drafted to a talent laden team with great defensive bigs (why would they be drafting that early?), I think he's going to be a "superstar" like Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love are. Putting up ridiculous individual numbers playing losing basketball. I'd take Wiggins over Parker and hope I can find something to light a fire under him. Or hope that he matures into a hungrier, more assertive player in time. Or hope that I've got another franchise type talent with the personality to be my leader. But I wouldn't have too many illusions about either Wiggins or Parker carrying a contender on their back.

I think Embiid became the obvious choice at #1. The upside justifies it. And the positional value makes the case for him.

Although I could also see each one of those three players delaying entry to the draft, which throws a wrench in everything.

I think teams that are picking 5th and 6th this year are in just as good a spot as the ones picking top three. To me Dante Exum has the potential to be the real stud of this draft when you consider his speed and body at the PG position.

And I really like Marcus Smart as the sort of galvanizing personality that can be your franchise player. He gets himself involved in almost every single play on both ends of the court. It's awesome to watch. Sort of the anti-Wiggins in that way. He's definitely flawed because he's not that fast and he doesn't shoot that well right now. But everyone has flaws. Smart is safe IMO. The competitiveness and leadership and motor is there with him. Plus Smart should still be able to score if James Harden can flop around and jump into people for 25 points a night.

Wiggins isn't ready to lead a team every night. He's way too willing to just blend in and play the role of wing outlet. Some of it is certainly Self's system, which restricts the roles of its wings a ton. But Wiggins has demonstrated a clear pattern of passivity.

You hit the nail on the head...this is EXACTLY what bothers me about Wiggins' game. 

Outside of SOME similarities with their athleticism, I don't see too much that mirrors VC's game.  VC did have some alpha-dog in him and showed that he could carry a team - at least through the regular season LOL. 

If I was going to compare Wiggins to anyone...hmmmmm...I just don't know who I could say....tough call. 

Parker is not a worse defender than Bennett was. Bennett often literally failed to defend his assignment at all. He'd be looking in the wrong direction entirely disinterested in defense. Bennett was a special kind of lazy that you don't see too often in players that get a lot of minutes.

Parker does the same. Check out the breakdown of Parker's defense in this video, starting at the 9:25 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIDYdSW2wew

Parker has poor defensive instincts and fundamentals and he also doesn't really know what he's doing.  Shouldn't coach K be giving him better coaching?  

But beyond that, Parker doesn't have a position to defend night to night in the NBA.  He's got really heavy feet when he tries to defend perimeter players and is just terrible on the ball.  And he's not strong, long, or aggressive enough to defend the post as a true PF.  He's going to be a truly awful defender in the NBA, and his teams are going to have to find ways to hide him on that side of the ball.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

You hit the nail on the head...this is EXACTLY what bothers me about Wiggins' game. 

Outside of SOME similarities with their athleticism, I don't see too much that mirrors VC's game.  VC did have some alpha-dog in him and showed that he could carry a team - at least through the regular season LOL. 

If I was going to compare Wiggins to anyone...hmmmmm...I just don't know who I could say....tough call. 

Vince used to mail it in a lot of the time in Toronto.  Vince's competitiveness was questionable and I think he was probably happiest as a player when there were other guys around to shoulder the load like Jefferson and Kidd.

Wiggins has the athletic ability of a 6'8 Derrick Rose but he doesn't have the motor.  I don't get the sense that he lives and dies with basketball the way a lot of other great players do/did.  I doubt he loves the game the way KD and LeBron do.

Irving had a great game. But the come back started when Wall was put in the game. I was paying close attention to him, and he was the only one playing actual defense. There was a sequence where kevin love got the ball with the back to the basket, and had a mismatch with Wall on him. But Wall actually played him very well causing love to pick up his dribble, about 12 feet away from the basket, and with more pressure being put on him by Wall, Love threw a pass out of bounds.

Irving deserved MVP tho, it goes to the winning team. But Wall had a nice game, and started the comeback.

LeBron doesn't have nothing for KD 1 on 1.

Absolutely agree. Im a huge lebron fan, but 1 on 1 is not his game. Sure he makes it a little tougher on KD than most do but KD can get his shot on and over anyone