Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

He's not from our planet. He's a walking basketball experimentation formed by a higher power.

I just can't imagine putting up numbers that good and losing.  To the Nuggets no less.  That's got to kill your spirit.  I'd be going into the front office and demanding they get me help.

I actually think Monty Williams is a solid coach and that they should stick with him.  The division is absolutely brutal, but even so, they have the potential to win a lot more than they have been because they've got the best and most impactful player in the Southwest.

IMO, Davis, Asik, and Ryan Anderson is a championship caliber front court rotation.  The problem is their perimeter players.  They need a second star or a much more productive and cohesive group of role players on the perimeter.  Eric Gordon makes way too much damn money.  He isn't good any more and he can't stay healthy.  Holiday is good when he plays, but he's also missed a ton of time.  Between him and Tyreke Evans, you basically get the production of one AS slashing perimeter player.  But they're both fully paid and they don't make a ton of sense together on the court.  Neither can space the floor with their outside shooting, Tyreke can't even spot up and shoot from the wing, and neither can play defense worth a damn.

Tyreke Evans is a hard player to build with despite the fact he's 6'6 and has a strong body and is a superior ball handler and slasher.  Not a good enough facilitator to be a PG.  And such a bad shooter and defender he's taking a ton off the table as a wing.  You have got to have an elite 3 & D wing at SG or SF and elite defensive bigs to cover his ass and you need a PG that's a superior off ball shooter.

That team has a ton of cap space in 2016.  27 million + of that is going to Davis because he's going to qualify for the Derrick Rose rule.   They also need to keep Ryan Anderson and Omer Asik IMO.  Hopefully they'd be able to keep both at ~10 million each.

But after all that, they'd still have close to max room I think.  And maybe they'll be able to dump either Holiday's or Evans's deal (or both).  Regardless, they'd come off the books for the summer of 2017, which could be another interesting FA class.

If I were them, I'd schedule max cap room for Russell Westbrook's FA summer.  If Durant leaves OKC next summer, then he'd have a lot less incentive to stay.  And you have to figure New Orleans would be one of the most appealing FA destinations for any star PG or wing because of Davis.  I can't imagine how good they would be with a guy like Westbrook.

• Like 1

Looking at their payroll, the Pelicans just have really unfortunate timing on their contracts.  Davis's max deal is going to cost almost twice as much as the max deals John Wall and Kyrie Irving got simply because his rookie deal is up the year the cap explodes and he was so good so fast that he'll qualify for the 30% max.  Not only that, Ryan Anderson's contract is set to expire that summer too, so he'll get overpaid.

And Evans and Holiday both have their deals run until '17.  Those are the two guys they shouldn't want to keep, and 22 million they could definitely use for that big 2016 offseason.  Quincy Pondexter's contract is also disconcertingly long.

The only sort of good news is that Eric Gordon's contract is finally an expiring next season.

If that FO isn't smart, they're going to get into cap trouble trying to extend their own players and chase the high quality FAs they'll need to put a championship caliber cast around Davis.

And you have to figure New Orleans would be one of the most appealing FA destinations for any star PG or wing because of Davis.  I can't imagine how good they would be with a guy like Westbrook.

as long as you wanted a 43 percent shooter dominating the ball and taking 30 shots a game.   I'm not sure I would want that if I were Davis.  

Tyreke is a bad shooter... but he isn't a bad defender..at all.

His defensive metrics say he's terrible. Last season he ranked 71st of 75 at the SG position in DRPM with a -3.72. This season he improved to 36th among SGs but still has a negative rtg at -.2. His DRtgs have also sucked his entire career, coming in at a consistent 110. This year he's improved to 108, which is still crappy. An average perimeter defender would be around 104 or 105. A good one would be 101-102. Great is 100 or lower.

as long as you wanted a 43 percent shooter dominating the ball and taking 30 shots a game.   I'm not sure I would want that if I were Davis.

He could shoulder the load with Davis. You are focusing only on the negative in that statement when you know there is a whole lot of positive he brings too. And also Davis is an in the flow scorer. A ball dominant guard won't clash if he's actually good like Westbrook is.

He could shoulder the load with Davis. You are focusing only on the negative in that statement when you know there is a whole lot of positive he brings too. And also Davis is an in the flow scorer. A ball dominant guard won't clash if he's actually good like Westbrook is.

I admit I am focusing on the negative.   Westbrook does bring a lot of positive things statistically, but some of those things are the result of heroball and not really that positive.   His effective field goal percentage is one of the lowest in the entire NBA.  He leads the NBA in turnovers.  He fills up the stat sheet with his amazing athleticism and drive to win, but his style of play often turns the rest of the team into spectators.

Admittedly, a lot of that might be because Scott Brooks couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.   :)   

I admit I am focusing on the negative.   Westbrook does bring a lot of positive things statistically, but some of those things are the result of heroball and not really that positive.   His effective field goal percentage is one of the lowest in the entire NBA.  He leads the NBA in turnovers.  He fills up the stat sheet with his amazing athleticism and drive to win, but his style of play often turns the rest of the team into spectators.

Admittedly, a lot of that might be because Scott Brooks couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.   :)   

I hear you.  I'm not the biggest fan of Westbrook's game either.  Just way too much low IQ play even on nights where he is extremely productive.

But he is a work horse.  And that athleticism and motor can be spectacularly effective.  With those traits he's out-played much smarter point guards in the playoffs like Tony Parker and Chris Paul.

Westbrook is kind of like the answer to "What would Allen Iverson have been able to do if he were born with the body of a tank?"

Westbrook is kind of like the answer to "What would Allen Iverson have been able to do if he were born with the body of a tank?"

Yep.  And the answer is: a perennial all star, and an eventual hall of famer, but at the same time an overrated player in the same way AI was overrated.  

AI was already all of that.  Westbrook can lead or at least be the co-star of a title team.  I'm not sure AI really could have, although the 76ers did come fairly close in 2001.  You can bank on Westbrook's nightly production and try and build around his flaws.  Better than you could with Iverson IMO.

AI was already all of that.  Westbrook can lead or at least be the co-star of a title team.  I'm not sure AI really could have, although the 76ers did come fairly close in 2001.  You can bank on Westbrook's nightly production and try and build around his flaws.  Better than you could with Iverson IMO.

Yep.   AI came close, but yeah, that Sixers team was outclassed by Shaq and Kobe.  Frankly the entire NBA was kind of weak for a couple years then, because that Sixers team wasn't really a legit title contender at all.  

So I agree.   Westbrook could be a champion on the right team - maybe this team if Durant and Ibaka are healthy.   But Russ is just too flawed to be in the MVP/best player in the game discussion, not the way a health Durant is, not the way LeBron or Harden are.   He needs to get a lot more efficient before he can take that last step in my book.    

Is that a anti-flop flop by CP3?  He seems to be over acting in hopes the refs see that he was diving out of the way.  An interesting strategy to employ against the king of flops.  James Harden might be the one guy in the league that even CP3 can call a flopper.

I wouldn't have been able to watch that game without ending up annoyed by what I saw.  Both of those teams are much easier to like, the less you actually watch them play.  Better to stick to the highlights. 

This is the NBA gif of the year. So much happening in one instance. Flopping from CP3, Blake the ballerina, Harden taking 10 million steps to the basket. Awesome.

You forgot to mention the phantom foul call sending Harden to the line for an undeserved pair of free throws.  That really is a perfect gif.

Is that a anti-flop flop by CP3?  He seems to be over acting in hopes the refs see that he was diving out of the way.  An interesting strategy to employ against the king of flops.  James Harden might be the one guy in the league that even CP3 can call a flopper.

I wouldn't have been able to watch that game without ending up annoyed by what I saw.  Both of those teams are much easier to like, the less you actually watch them play.  Better to stick to the highlights. 

They are the two most hateable teams in the NBA, IMO.  

I disagree with Bill Simmons about a lot of things, but this made me laugh:

"[blake Griffin is] headed for his third straight Antoine Walker Award, given annually to the NBA star who provokes the highest ongoing level of disdain from opponents and referees. Look, it’s hard to stand out on the 2014-15 Los Angeles ****ers — an irascible bunch that spends an unfathomable amount of time griping about calls, stink-eyeing officials, taking hard fouls way too personally and reacting to unexpected whistles by sprinting in short bursts with outstretched arms and their faces contorted in disbelief (or as it’s better known, “The Doc”). But Blake has managed to do it."

• Like 2

Yep.   AI came close, but yeah, that Sixers team was outclassed by Shaq and Kobe.  Frankly the entire NBA was kind of weak for a couple years then, because that Sixers team wasn't really a legit title contender at all.  

So I agree.   Westbrook could be a champion on the right team - maybe this team if Durant and Ibaka are healthy.   But Russ is just too flawed to be in the MVP/best player in the game discussion, not the way a health Durant is, not the way LeBron or Harden are.   He needs to get a lot more efficient before he can take that last step in my book.    

Westbrook would be the runaway MVP this season if he hadn't missed so much time.  I agree he's not in Durant or LeBron's class.  But he's better than Harden.  Harden was the spare tire when they were on the same team and Westbrook became best guard in the game in 2012-2013, right before he got hurt.  Plus Harden is a **** and Westbrook is a man.  Harden needs to do something other than suck in a postseason before he gets to be in Westbrook's class.

You forgot to mention the phantom foul call sending Harden to the line for an undeserved pair of free throws.  That really is a perfect gif.

The only way it could be better would be if it included Dwight doing something stupid in the background to mug for attention, like forcefully blocking a little kid's shot.

That would be the Mt Rushmore for the NBA's most loathsome players.

The only way it could be better would be if it included Dwight doing something stupid in the background to mug for attention, like forcefully blocking a little kid's shot.

That would be the Mt Rushmore for the NBA's most loathsome players.

Maybe sexting a 15 y/o on the DL?

Getting the feeling SM would seriously contemplate bodily harm to Harden if he felt he could get away with it lol

Watching him play basketball literally turns my stomach and makes my blood pressure rise. He needs to be constantly made fun of for playing basketball like a fake little girl.

20 Years ago today, the greatest basketball player of all time sent out a press release through fax with just two words indicating that he was coming out of retirement "I'm back".

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12501628/nba-ja-adande-michael-jordan-1995-comeback-fax?src=mobile&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FIKDbV4hPon%22%7D

9 days later he hit a buzzer beater to beat the Hawks, then the next game he had the double nickel game (55 points) against the Knicks at MSG.

Edited by samy316

Westbrook would be the runaway MVP this season if he hadn't missed so much time.  

43 percent shooters who take a thousand shots a game should never be the MVP, unless they play defense like Bill Russell.  

Maybe that's just me.