Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The best college basketball players play one season, are rarely nationally televised until the tournament and then move on to the draft where nobody knows them. Part of that is due to what Steve mentioned but part of it is just the way the sport is. I obviously hate college basketball but I can't think of a college player since Durant that actually resonated nationally

College basketball players are just as much household names as football players. Only like two or three football players a season are national stars, at most.  Every year there is a Saquon Barkley or Baker Mayfield there is a Trae Young or Lonzo Ball.

And TBH, most NFL fans have probably seen fewer college games than NBA fans have of basketball because everyone watches the tourney.  The NFL is not a sport for football die-hards, nor is the draft just for people who follow the college game close.  It's part of the total NFL season and the casuals follow it too because it is very well promoted and fans feel a sense of stakes with it.  Nobody had seen Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson play, but you had millions of casual fans with a vested interest rooting for those guys to get picked by their teams because the NFL had cultivated and primed their interest over the course of months.  There is no reason the NBA can't be doing the same with its incoming talent.  Basketball is the easiest sport to star in.  Basketball players are the biggest athletic stars in America.  Fans would follow the NBA daft if it didn't hide it.

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trae Young or Lonzo Ball.

Lonzo was known nationally but that was because of his dad. So i guess it was smart on his dad. I doubt most sports fans know a thing about Trae Young. I watched the tournament and I dont even know what team he played for. 

I don't think its comparable at all to college football players. College football dominates a large portion of the sports talk and highlights of the late summer and fall seasons in a way that college basketball never comes close to matching except maybe tournament time and by then it's too late. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

43 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Football's indisputable cult like grip on rural/small town America has made the NFL bulletproof. With the way it's owners etc behave and the way it operates, and the ideals it latches onto, it should not be what it is, but that's what will keep it there

They got that grip by being geniuses at presenting and promoting their product.

It makes zero sense that American Football has the most valuable major revenue league in the world.  By far.  Twice as much revenue as the EPL and half again as much as the MLB.  This despite the fact that American Football is not even one of the ten most popular sports in the world.  It's an inaccessible game whose lower levels are only regionally popular--the South and the Ohio Valley and parts of California.  And it's participation rates are miniscule compared to other sports.  The game itself is fitful, very complicated, and takes like five years of watching to follow at a basic level, plus the vast majority of fans have no tactile understanding of the techniques for playing the various parts of the game and can't relate to the players and what they go through at all.

By all rights, the NFL should be a niche league.  So how are they so much bigger and better than any other league in the World?  The answer is that they are the best at promoting their product in the world by a gigantic margin.  Everyone should be stealing techniques from them.

18 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I dont think they can televise the lottery because its anticlimactic. There are so many balls in there that the same team's ball probably pops up over and over after it's been selected and its like "well let's try again" 

I absolutely despise the lottery anyhow, regardless of it's intention to prevent tanking.  And I absolutely think the NBA hides it on purpose so they can fix the draft when they need to.  I 100% believe that happens from time to time, not every year.  I'd prefer it just go away and the worst team picks first, etc. etc. or they come up with a new system.  

But, if they are going to hide the picks from the fans, might as well just not televise it at all.  At least we would know it was legit if they showed it.  Either way, I think the actual draft should be on a Saturday afternoon.  

32 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I dont think they can televise the lottery because its anticlimactic. There are so many balls in there that the same team's ball probably pops up over and over after it's been selected and its like "well let's try again" 

I would change the format of the lottery drawing anyway.  It doesn't go far enough to stop tanking.  And really, there is no difference in the outlook and quality of any of the lottery teams in the league right now until you get to the Lakers.  They are all terrible and desperate for a young foundation piece.

How about a Wheel of Fortune style event where every team has a representative who spins for their pick?  Tell me that wouldn't be incredible TV.  You can have the worst team spin first and then go up the standings from there, so that they get a small advantage for losing more.  Remove the pick from the wheel once its made and make the pie slices for the remaining picks bigger, until the second from last team is spinning between two slices.  Make the resistance on the wheel very low so that it rotates dozens of times before it lands on a slice so that people can't game the wheel by learning how to spin it with precision.

49 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

If anything, they need to move the lottery to a Friday night and actually reveal the ping pong balls being picked live.  They won't do that because they can't rig it if needed, but it would be better for TV and the fans.  Then they need to hold the actual draft on a Saturday starting at 1:00 pm, pre-draft coverage starts at 11am or noon.  

Too few people watch TV on Friday nights and early Saturday afternoons.  Those are graveyard time slots for programs.  Thursday during prime time is your ideal slot for programming.  Last night at 8 would have been perfect for the lottery.  Instead, nobody has cared about the NBA for the last two days and we're stuck ****posting yesterday and today during the inexplicably long layoff between conference Finals games.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They got that grip by being geniuses at presenting and promoting their product.

It makes zero sense that American Football has the most valuable major revenue league in the world.  By far.  Twice as much revenue as the EPL and half again as much as the MLB.  This despite the fact that American Football is not even one of the ten most popular sports in the world.  It's an inaccessible game whose lower levels are only regionally popular--the South and the Ohio Valley and parts of California.  And it's participation rates are miniscule compared to other sports.  The game itself is fitful, very complicated, and takes like five years of watching to follow at a basic level, plus the vast majority of fans have no tactile understanding of the techniques for playing the various parts of the game and can't relate to the players and what they go through at all.

By all rights, the NFL should be a niche league.  So how are they so much bigger and better than any other league in the World?  The answer is that they are the best at promoting their product in the world by a gigantic margin.  Everyone should be stealing techniques from them.

How doesn't it make sense? It became America's pastime because we love violence, and that sport has it in abundance. You do live in America, right?

All people care about is the violence associated with it. And unlike Rugby, it was created in America. 

The English Premier League is shown to a country of 40 million people. It is shown around the world, but it has other leagues competing with it. The NFL has nothing competing with it in a country of 320 million and they play one game a week.

4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

How is Steve not a die-hard hockey fan?

Every hockey fan has a good rant in them about how if they ran the NHL, it would be the biggest sports league in the world, because everyone should love hockey.

That fan also hates everyone in Las Vegas right now as bandwagoners.

Hockey is a great sport but I don't follow it.  I like football, baseball, and basketball more.  I'll watch tennis and golf before I'd watch Hockey.

It's weird because I did enjoy the sport quite a bit as a kid.  It just doesn't click for me any more.  Neither does soccer even though I have tried so hard to get into the sport.  That's the one that's a little weird for me not to follow.

The only kind of bandwagoners I don't like are the die-hard never been to Texas or California rural Virginia Cowboys and Lakers fans.

Hockey sucks. Next question. 

44 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I absolutely despise the lottery anyhow, regardless of it's intention to prevent tanking.  And I absolutely think the NBA hides it on purpose so they can fix the draft when they need to.  I 100% believe that happens from time to time, not every year.  I'd prefer it just go away and the worst team picks first, etc. etc. or they come up with a new system.  

But, if they are going to hide the picks from the fans, might as well just not televise it at all.  At least we would know it was legit if they showed it.  Either way, I think the actual draft should be on a Saturday afternoon.  

I don't like the lottery either but I don't think it is rigged. It would be hard for me to watch the NBA if I felt that way honestly. I'm down for any improvements to it that make it watchable and also enhance the legitimacy of it.

38 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How about a Wheel of Fortune style event where every team has a representative who spins for their pick?  Tell me that wouldn't be incredible TV.  You can have the worst team spin first and then go up the standings from there, so that they get a small advantage for losing more.  Remove the pick from the wheel once its made and make the pie slices for the remaining picks bigger, until the second from last team is spinning between two slices.  Make the resistance on the wheel very low so that it rotates dozens of times before it lands on a slice so that people can't game the wheel by learning how to spin it with precision.

I love everything about this.

This is why I could make you commissioner of a league. i just need some type of veto or check in place to reign you in when you get too ambitious and try to make dunks 3 pts and post ups count 1 point for every 2 seconds the offensive player is backing down the defender. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How doesn't it make sense? It became America's pastime because we love violence, and that sport has it in abundance. You do live in America, right?

All people care about is the violence associated with it. And unlike Rugby, it was created in America. 

I don't believe this. Not entirely. I think the bloodthirsty-ness (not a word obviously) is a selling point, but I think the key selling point, is the "Ultimate team game" aspect of it. No one man above the team, brothers in arms, obey the chain of command, one weak link breaks said chain (or however those godawful saving private ryan speeches/gump ass Fortune 500 guest speaker function things go), next man up, robot online and ready to serve. That sort of thing. 

It is enticing, and mimics the feeling of being a noble warrior/soldier/samurai. Who doesn't want to be that in America? People want to play soldier all the time.

Add to the fact that it is the least talent demanding of the other sports ( how many cats can square up a 90 mph fastball or offspeed pitch, or dribble/shoot/dunk, or hit/block a puck that looks like a camouflaged roach with a jetpack on tv).

The violence is just a plus. The NFL now is like Polly Pocket in terms of violence, compared to even when I was a youngin, watching Leroy Butler or Steve A****er knock the plasma out of someone... The type of stuff that would earn a headline in the New York Times, saying "Wanted, Dead or Alive". Game has only gotten more popular as a result, in comparison to its more violent past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This is why I could make you commissioner of a league. i just need some type of veto or check in place to reign you in when you get too ambitious and try to make dunks 3 pts and post ups count 1 point for every 2 seconds the offensive player is backing down the defender. 

Mess around and give me power and eventually the NBA will look like this:

• Haha 4

I used to watch that show thinking how awesome it would be if the winner of the tournament or whatever got to take on actual NBA players for a chance at a bigger pot.

Just imagined Vince Carter going up to dunk and crashing through a Chinese carryout or something

58 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The only kind of bandwagoners I don't like are the die-hard never been to Texas or California rural Virginia Cowboys and Lakers fans.

I used to feel the same way until both teams started losing and I realized how many of them weren't jumping to another team, either stuck it out or went dormant, but didn't become Pats/Warriors fans.  If that's what they want to do, that's what they want to do.

The Vegas Golden Knights thing is kinda how I feel about the Nationals. Didn't have a team, had to expect people that were from the area to switch because they finally had one, if anything on principle.  Then they start winning (nationals at .500 first year in DC, in playoffs 7 years later), what would anyone expect to happen in that case, especially if your local hockey team is in the Conference Championship their first season? 

I caught a special about that hockey teams season, and first game was a couple days after the Vegas shooting, and one of the players took the mic on first home game and talked to the fans.  They blew out whoever that team was that happened to be at the wrong place wrong time and never looked back.

Edited by Renegade7

I only do it for Cowboys fans because it is precisely because they have not been a dominant winning franchise in over 20 years, and because Texas is half the country away, and this is DC. Total attention whore-ism. And Yankee fans, just off of principle (my dad's side of the family is originally from Yonkers, but moved across the river to NJ in the early 70's).

Fairweather is more bothersome to me than bandwagon.

• Thanks 1

Also have to take into account how many DC cowboy fans started there due to anger, resentment, and frustration with the redskins.  I know people that hate the redskins and don't like football and that's why, I disagreed with the approach but understood before I understood specifics the way I do now

There are a lot of factors that could result in someone not supporting their local pro teams and be fans of other teams though.  I know one of my friends is a Cowboys fan (she was born in MD) and her entire family is Redskins fans (dad, brothers and sister).  I asked her how that was possible and she said when she was real young she just wanted to pull against them (her family) and the Cowboys were the rival team and she never looked back.  

I think that in today's society with access to all the teams, social media, internet, NBA/MLB/NFL packages to watch all games, etc. that it's easier for a kid to start pulling for teams that are out of market for where they live (if they happen to live in or near a city with pro teams).  And friend influence goes a long way too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

that's what I don't get. ACL's should be flying everywhere 

I remember some hard looking dude who looked like may have killed 3-4 people at some point, named "The Judge/Warden" or some ****. Used to go up and crush people's shots and dunks. How he didn't paralyze someone is beyond me.