Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

shooting 44% from the field now.

Im good.

He's working a three ball into his game while adjusting to the loss of a star PG and simultaneously working his way back from an injury.  That percentage should climb back up.  And it's a moot point now, but if he were playing here, he'd shoot a lot better.  Kieff Morris is not a particularly good shooter and his career splits went from 45% from the floor and 32% from three in Phoenix to 46% from the floor and 37% from three when he came here.  Playing with another star PG would have gotten Blake's %'s close to what they were when he played with CP3.  I bet he'd have easily shot 38% from three on 6 attempts per game.

36 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Damn, that sucks for Wall, up to two months out.  

ESPN Article from their website:  http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22263710/washington-wizards-star-john-wall-undergo-knee-procedure

It's a crushing blow.  And another reason why I wish we had gotten Griffin.  But it's for the best that he gets the surgery and shuts it down for a while.  Some nights he looks like he did before the knee injury because the competitive juices would be flowing and he would forget about the knee for the moment.  But it was clearly still bothering him.  Zach Lowe pointed out how John wasn't playing with any vigor this year, and it was true.  Now it's clear that he was in pain.

It sucks because John was primed for a big season.  He probably had his best offseason in terms of getting in shape and coming into the year with a lot of built up chemistry among the starters.  That got disrupted by a damn knee to knee collision against Dallas.  Morris and Porter have struggled with injuries all season too.  Probably the main reasons why the Wizards haven't been good, because the bench actually came together for them this season.

I'm just hoping they can tread water for now and get right before the playoffs.

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

And certainly the Sixers don't want Griffin.  He doesn't fit in terms of age or the skill set that they are looking for.

Jimmy Butler's not on the same timeline as Minnesota's young players, but getting him was a tremendous benefit because they'd still be farting around in the late lottery if they hadn't done it.

The sooner Philly gets on the path to being a 50 win team, the sooner they become the juggernaut of the future.  Blake would have gotten them there, maybe as soon as this year.

Everyone could use Blake Griffin.  He's the best playmaking true big man in the league and he's got a three ball now.  He plays unselfish, winning basketball.  But a team like Philly could have especially used him because they've got a rim protecting center who can step out of the paint and draw defenders away and a 7 foot small forward who can run point.  They can play virtually any style well.

13 hours ago, PeterMP said:

I think the answer is that the Clippers decided they weren't going to be able to build a core around Griffin, especially given his age and his injury history.  Given that, it makes sense to trade him and get away from his contract.

Taking lots of smaller pieces back allows them to package/keep those smaller pieces as they see need going forward.

Detroit takes a chance that they can turn Drummond, Griffin, and some other pieces into a championship.

Blake is 28. And if you actually watch him, his game is no longer entirely reliant on athleticism.

He's not Derrick Rose - who was a one-trick pony with one serious injury concern.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a crushing blow.  And another reason why I wish we had gotten Griffin.  But it's for the best that he gets the surgery and shuts it down for a while.  Some nights he looks like he did before the knee injury because the competitive juices would be flowing and he would forget about the knee for the moment.  But it was clearly still bothering him.  Zach Lowe pointed out how John wasn't playing with any vigor this year, and it was true.  Now it's clear that he was in pain.

It sucks because John was primed for a big season.  He probably had his best offseason in terms of getting in shape and coming into the year with a lot of built up chemistry among the starters.  That got disrupted by a damn knee to knee collision against Dallas.  Morris and Porter have struggled with injuries all season too.  Probably the main reasons why the Wizards haven't been good, because the bench actually came together for them this season.

I'm just hoping they can tread water for now and get right before the playoffs.

This is the first year I've gotten League Pass and after remodeling my mancave, I can watch three games at once.  So I've been able to watch my team play along with a lot of Wizards games and whatever other match-up is on that I pick.  I have to say, the Wiz are a fun team to watch when Wall is 100%.  Same with Beal.  

It's a shame that he got hurt and will miss that much time.  So if he's out two months (8 weeks), that would put him back around March 27th, maybe 8-10 games left in the season.  Was probably good he was in such good shape coming into the season, those last 8-10 games he will play in can get him back into game shape.  

Saw y'all have the hardest second half schedule in the league, do you think y'all will slip to the 8th seed?  Or can manage to hang on at 6?

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's working a three ball into his game while adjusting to the loss of a star PG and simultaneously working his way back from an injury.  That percentage should climb back up.  And it's a moot point now, but if he were playing here, he'd shoot a lot better.  Kieff Morris is not a particularly good shooter and his career splits went from 45% from the floor and 32% from three in Phoenix to 46% from the floor and 37% from three when he came here.  Playing with another star PG would have gotten Blake's %'s close to what they were when he played with CP3.  I bet he'd have easily shot 38% from three on 6 attempts per game.

Oh okay

well his finishing from 0-10 feet has declined a lot too. He is not the player he was 4 years ago and I think you are still clinging to that. Athletically he isn’t what he was.

And I refuse to pay 35 million+ to an undersized power forward who is declining athletically and injury prone.

especially to the wizards who love misdiagnosing players.

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

And certainly the Sixers don't want Griffin.  He doesn't fit in terms of age or the skill set that they are looking for.

The Sixers should put Simmons, Embiid, and - I guess Fultz - on one side of the room.

On the other side of the room should only be players 27 and older. And that should be the case until those three are all over 27 themselves.

The worst plan in the NBA for building a title is having everyone be the same age - particularly a young age.

I watched a fair portion of that fun Thunder-Sixers game. While it's fun for Embiid to dunk on Westbrook, that's also the kind of game that veteran teams want from super-athletic young squads. Let's turn this game into a matchup about manhood or whatever. (And - in fairness - the Thunder are not the best example because Westbrook will be trying to dunk on dudes when he's 50, but you know what I mean). It's game's like that where you need someone with 50 playoff games under his belt to say, "Hey, let's just get a good shot, and if someone needs to knock Russ down, let me do it."

Redick was a great signing for him, but they need a few more of him - particularly big men.

I think if I ran an NBA team, my first signing would be a lifetime contact for David West. There's a reason Udonis Haslem has been sitting at the end of the Heat bench for the past 50 years. And he will probably be sitting there until either he or Riley die.

Along those lines, shouldn't every aging team in the League be offering pieces for Dario Saric right now? I like the guy, but the few times I've watched the Sixers, I find myself angry every time he takes a shot. "Someone else should be doing that!"

I did do some fooling around with the NBA Trade Machine. The 76ers are a really tough team to trade with because outside of Redick - who I wouldn't trade - everyone else is making minimum wage. It's really tough to dump a bloated salary to them because you need to throw in six players to make it work.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Saw y'all have the hardest second half schedule in the league, do you think y'all will slip to the 8th seed?  Or can manage to hang on at 6?

We're in bad shape.  We can play .500 ball for short stretches without Wall.  But surviving two months without him is going to be rough.  Our whole system doesn't work without him.  And I don't think Scott Brooks is a good enough coach to adjust to such a major loss on the fly.  And the guy we're going to replace him with in the line up has very little NBA experience.  Porter's not healthy either, and if we start collapsing, I could see him getting shut down too.

I also don't know that I'd trust that two month timeline.  Wizards players tend to miss quite a bit more time than initially projected when they have injuries.  Last year Mahinmi played in the preseason, got hurt, and was only supposed to miss like a month.  Then that stretched into January, and when he finally came back, he barely played and was almost completely ineffective.  The list goes on from there too.

If Wall doesn't come back this year, then we're probably going to miss the playoffs unless other teams in the hunt have significant injuries too.  Even if he does come back on schedule, it's going to be tough to hang on to a seed now that Detroit has Blake Griffin.  We have to find another 15-20 wins on the schedule and they're just not there without Wall.  But we're still too good to completely fall apart and have a true tanking year.  We'll probably finish 9th and end up with the last pick in the lottery.

28 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

well his finishing from 0-10 feet has declined a lot too. He is not the player he was 4 years ago and I think you are still clinging to that. Athletically he isn’t what he was.

He lost that pick and roll game with CP3.  Now he has to create his baskets at the rim.  Look at the assist percentages on his shot charts from this year and his best season four years ago:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/griffbl01/shooting/2018

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/griffbl01/shooting/2014

In 2014 he was shooting .399 from the lane and this year it's .378, but notice the decline in the assist rate from .426 to .222.  It's the same story with his shooting at the rim to three feet.

Everyone is less athletic at 28 than they were at 24, but that doesn't mean they get worse.  To my eye Griffin has gotten more skilled to offset loss of athleticism and shoots with better touch.  And he is still very explosive.  He is a twitchy athlete that wins with a mix of speed and power in the post.  I think he is more capable of playing winning basketball now than he was back then.

I could be wrong, but I think Blake is going to surprise people with his longevity and he's going to end up being a good get for Detroit.

41 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

The Sixers should put Simmons, Embiid, and - I guess Fultz - on one side of the room.

On the other side of the room should only be players 27 and older. And that should be the case until those three are all over 27 themselves.

The worst plan in the NBA for building a title is having everyone be the same age - particularly a young age.

I watched a fair portion of that fun Thunder-Sixers game. While it's fun for Embiid to dunk on Westbrook, that's also the kind of game that veteran teams want from super-athletic young squads. Let's turn this game into a matchup about manhood or whatever. (And - in fairness - the Thunder are not the best example because Westbrook will be trying to dunk on dudes when he's 50, but you know what I mean). It's game's like that where you need someone with 50 playoff games under his belt to say, "Hey, let's just get a good shot, and if someone needs to knock Russ down, let me do it."

Redick was a great signing for him, but they need a few more of him - particularly big men.

I think if I ran an NBA team, my first signing would be a lifetime contact for David West. There's a reason Udonis Haslem has been sitting at the end of the Heat bench for the past 50 years. And he will probably be sitting there until either he or Riley die.

Along those lines, shouldn't every aging team in the League be offering pieces for Dario Saric right now? I like the guy, but the few times I've watched the Sixers, I find myself angry every time he takes a shot. "Someone else should be doing that!"

I did do some fooling around with the NBA Trade Machine. The 76ers are a really tough team to trade with because outside of Redick - who I wouldn't trade - everyone else is making minimum wage. It's really tough to dump a bloated salary to them because you need to throw in six players to make it work.

The Sixers are doing fine.  If they stay relatively healthy (even without Fultz), they are will be a playoff team this year.  That's a completely reasonable trajectory.  Your approach doesn't give them the likes of Robert Convington who is a valuable player and signed to a reasonable contract going forward.

They've consistently kept older big men around.  This year it Amir Johnson.  Plus they added Booker in trading Okafor.

What would happen would be in 2 or 3 years when they are looking to make a run to a championship they'd be saddled with a Blake Griffin who is no longer playable in an Eastern Conference finals despite making $30+ million a year and a contract nobody wants..

Edited by PeterMP

53 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

The Sixers are doing fine.  If they stay relatively healthy (even without Fultz), they are will be a playoff team this year.  That's a completely reasonable trajectory.  Your approach doesn't give them the likes of Robert Convington who is a valuable player and signed to a reasonable contract going forward.

They've consistently kept older big men around.  This year it Amir Johnson.  Plus they added Booker in trading Okafor.

What would happen would be in 2 or 3 years when they are looking to make a run to a championship they'd be saddled with a Blake Griffin who is no longer playable in an Eastern Conference finals despite making $30+ million a year and a contract nobody wants..

I don't necessarily think they should have traded for Blake.

I do think Blake's game is going to age just fine though. He can pass, he can shoot, and he's crafty at the rim.

He's going to eventually be overpriced, but it's the NBA. Everyone eventually becomes overpriced.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Everyone could use Blake Griffin.  He's the best playmaking true big man in the league and he's got a three ball now. 

No he isn't the best playmaker among big men.   That would be Jokic in Denver, by a mile.  And Lebron and Draymond are better playmakers too.  And I probably would put Demarcus and Horford ahead of Blake as well.  

You are hyping up Blake like he was the advanced form of the Blake of 4 year ago, but he isn't.  He has improved his outside game, but he also has lost explosiveness and he can't stay healthy. 

I'm probably a bit biased since most of the time I see Blake he is playing against the Warriors, and Draymond absolutely owns his soul.   He's really, really good, but he isn't as good as you seem to think, and he definitely is not a "top 10 player in this League."

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Predicto said:

No he isn't the best playmaker among big men.   That would be Jokic in Denver, by a mile.  And Lebron and Draymond are better playmakers too.  And I probably would put Demarcus and Horford ahead of Blake as well.  

Ridiculous.

1 - LeBron isn't a true big.  He's a burly point forward who gets worn down playing opposing bigs

2 - Jokic and Draymond can't create shots for themselves and improvise off the dribble like Griffin

3 - Cousins is a turnover machine and a chucker

4 - Horford can't dribble and has no face up game nor can he score in volume

Cousins is the only one you listed that's got Griffin's combination of scoring and ball handling and passing ability but he's a low IQ player who plays losing basketball.  Griffin is better than him.