Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

10 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Melo is washed up, but I don't think you can win with RUssell Westbrook being the #1 guy. His basketball IQ is too low.

41% usage last year....that's INSANE. 

Their whole system/philosophy needs an overhaul.  Donovan will be the fall guy, but Russ is the zebra that HAS to change his stripes. 

• Like 3

Folks were mesmerized by the triple-double statline...but it was the way he went about getting his numbers that was dubious.  If there was an NBA "unselfish" award, it should probably go to the 11 other players on that roster last year who had to share the floor with him.  Sacrificing just about EVERYTHING in their game for the betterment of one player. 

Don't get me wrong, Russ is one of the best players in the league, but there are 3-4 other guys in the league right now who have upped their games after leaving OKC.  So, the narrative that Russ needs more "help" is just bunk. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Frankly, it allowed him to get out on the fast break more effectively with the ball in his hands quicker, (which is also obvious) which makes sense, unless you want to argue that someone else should've gotten the ball instead. Plus, in the games watched, he routinely made contested rebounds, like Des said. 

I see the claim that the PG taking the rebound means you get into the break faster but it just doesn't ring true to me.  You can start the break faster by having the PG leak out and taking the outlet closer to midcourt.  An outlet pass is faster than any PG catching a board, turning and gearing up from around the basket, especially if he can catch it on the move.  That's how Wall and Gortat start breaks and it is amazingly fast--to the point where defenders bail early to get back on D and Wall still routinely beats them to the rim.  Westbrook is like Wall in that he is a fastbreak finisher--they don't need to wait on lane fillers.  They can score at the basket against numbers themselves and find trailers if they get cut off.  Westbrook would both play better defense and get better transition scoring opportunities if he'd go hard on the shooters and ball handlers then leak out to the hashes instead of loitering around the basket for rebounds.

Team basketball goes smoother when people perform their natural roles and don't freelance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

Cmon now.  I'm a Dubs fan, but it's still Lebron.  And it's not really close.  

It is close.  In any given year, LeBron and KD and Curry might be the best guy in the league.  And LeBron is not going to be able to keep this up the whole year whereas I wouldn't bet against Durant getting better and playing at a consistently higher level as the season goes on.

But so far LeBron is running away with the MVP.

This Cleveland team is really well constructed to support LeBron.  And they're going to get even better once IT comes back.  People might not realize this, but IT is actually a fabulous off-ball player.  A better off-ball player than Kyrie Irving.  He's going to be a killer second and third option with all of the gravity that LeBron and Love generate.  All their rotation guys except Wade can shoot.

Their offense is dominant and it has been so without their second or third best player so far.   They won't beat Golden State this year, but they're going to flatten the East again.

2 hours ago, Predicto said:

Cmon now.  I'm a Dubs fan, but it's still Lebron.  And it's not really close.  

Durant is a much better defender than Lebron and a better offensive player.

If he was allowed to play Lebron ball, he'd be averaging more points too.

Durant is better than Lebron. Do not be afraid to say that. It's okay for people to say that since we saw it in the finals last season.

You are missing out an insane bball game if you not watching this Pelicans/Rockets game. It should end up in the 130s at least, for both teams. Rondo even out here hitting 3 pointers. I think the Pelicans may break the NBA record for 3s tonight at this pace. (ironically, the Rockets set prior the record against the Pelicans on December 16, 2016, Cleveland owns the record now)

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But so far LeBron is running away with the MVP.

He isnt. Harden is a candidate. Giannis is a candidate. Durant may make a run if Curry is out for a while. And lowkey Boogie is a strong candidate.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

33 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I see the claim that the PG taking the rebound means you get into the break faster but it just doesn't ring true to me.  You can start the break faster by having the PG leak out and taking the outlet closer to midcourt.  An outlet pass is faster than any PG catching a board, turning and gearing up from around the basket, especially if he can catch it on the move.  That's how Wall and Gortat start breaks and it is amazingly fast--to the point where defenders bail early to get back on D and Wall still routinely beats them to the rim.  Westbrook is like Wall in that he is a fastbreak finisher--they don't need to wait on lane fillers.  They can score at the basket against numbers themselves and find trailers if they get cut off.  Westbrook would both play better defense and get better transition scoring opportunities if he'd go hard on the shooters and ball handlers then leak out to the hashes instead of loitering around the basket for rebounds.

Team basketball goes smoother when people perform their natural roles and don't freelance.

Sure. For most teams that's how it would probably work. That's not how they rolled, though, and they were still a lethal fast break team, among the top 3-5.

Could it have been more effective? Maybe, possibly, but we'll never know. They seem to always suffer from so so coaching

Can we talk about the Balls for a minute?  I'm trying to wrap my head around the emotional roller coaster caused by being pulled away from a free education at beautiful UCLA and being sent to Lithuania.  The high school kid went from being the big man on campus and choosing a prom date to also finding himself headed to Lithuania.  

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

Can we talk about the Balls for a minute?  I'm trying to wrap my head around the emotional roller coaster caused by being pulled away from a free education at beautiful UCLA and being sent to Lithuania.  The high school kid went from being the big man on campus and choosing a prom date to also finding himself headed to Lithuania.  

This is all looking really bad.

I support getting paid to play basketball at any age, but those two are not good enough.

23 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is all looking really bad.

I support getting paid to play basketball at any age, but those two are not good enough.

I'm with you on the paid thing, never been a fan of so called "amateur" sports, but man I'd rather ball at ucla for free than in a small town no English speaking Lithuania. The team they signed with doesnt have a GM and doesn't hold regular practices because they lack the funds to do so.