Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

DM, you have to admit the majority of their offensive possessions were pretty impressive.

Even when they missed shots.

I don't put them on the level that Steve does however.

Oh, they're very good and should win it this year, but I'm not ready to put them above the Heat or Spurs of the past few years.

The Warriors have to actually win the title before we can rank them.  Cleveland is looking a hell of a lot better than most expected, especially defensively and they've got Lebron James.

Cleveland's role players are playing unsustainably well. So is that defense. You don't spend a season performing like crap and then revert to great in late May. The Hawks offense has just been that terrible so far and you don't project from the sample. In a vacuum, Dellavedova, Shumpert, LeBron, Thompson, and Mozgov is an athletic core of solid defenders but they've been together on court for two minutes. And JR Smith is the only other body left on the roster. And the season's body of play suggests that most of those role players have been playing out of their minds.

LeBron has been almost as individually great as Curry. But if it comes down to LeBron battling even with Curry and then the role players for each team determining the difference, GS would win a short series. They're superior in quality and depth AND they match up well against Cleveland. Green + Iggy will be the most effective tandem for guarding Lebron that he'll face this postseason and I'm not sure Cleveland has an effective solution for stopping Golden State's small lineups. Thompson on Green is a bad match up and if you have LeBron play up and JR Smith and Shumpert play the wings, then you either have Thompson on Bogut or on the bench. Those options seem worse. Thompson and LeBron loses the rebounding battle to Bogut and Green. And Bogut won't have to guard Mozgov and he won't have to play Thompson for the jumper. Just not going to be any space for Cleveland unless their streak shooters get hot from outside. You can't reliably eat like that.

Cleveland needs somebody big on GS to get hurt to win.

Don't be a prisoner of the moment. They're good, but let's not get carried away.

I'm not looking at just this postseason. They posted one of the best records and point differentials in league history this season. They ARE one of the best teams in NBA history and if they win the title, that will seal it up. LKB was right, people don't seem to want to accept the historic greatness of this Warriors team.

• Like 1

Woj reports that the Bulls are waiting for the coaching vacancies to fill before firing Thibs. Ostensibly to try and get a pick for him, but if the vacancies are filled, why would anyone trade for him then? Regardless, it's a trashy move and will probably end poorly. That team is going to fall apart.

Windhorst and Lowe said they heard everyone thinks Kevin Love leaves this summer, and probably for the Lakers. Why the hell would he leave a title contender for a bottom five team? Just for the weather? It'd also mean potentially losing two max contract years: the one he gets for opting in this summer and the fifth year Cleveland can offer him next summer.

Not that he probably cares too much about money or fame.

I could see him seeking out a larger role where he can be an All Star and first or second option again. But he's not going going to want to play for a loser again, that killed Minnesota for him. The Lakers do not have the foundation in place to win with Love in the short term.

The Wizards are his best fit. They're the only combination of current players and market with the right appeal. Maybe Golden State, but there is still too much a chance of Love being the third option there and the salary situation would be tricky.

As for the Wizards, Love would lead the team in scoring and be an All Star. Play with the best pass first pg in the game aside from CP3 and get to play inside and outside. He'd get to play with a quality center and quality passers at each position. And the Wizards have the defenders to mostly hide him. Get to run his handoff game with Beal. Get to play drive and kick and pick and pop with Wall and Beal. Get to set up around the basket in the halfcourt offense. Get to throw outlets to some young jets or run the floor too and trail for threes. He would have so much more freedom than in Cleveland, where they never truly figured out how to use him alongside LeBron and Irving.

And he could compete for a ring next season on a roster of Wall/Beal/Pierce/Porter/Gortat.

But Wittman as coach is a shaky sell considering their history and the team doesn't have cap space this summer. They would have to cut salary in a hurry and/or make sign and trades that could compromise the roster such as dealing off Porter or Beal. If Love was set on leaving, Cleveland wouldn't be able to get a better return than Porter + Nene's expiring + #19 for example. But the Wizards would need Porter to have any hope of defending Pick and Rolls. Not to mention fill the starting SF position with a cheap but quality body. Nene's expiring + 19 and any other package of picks and ballast contracts is a bitter pill to swallow for giving up Andrew Wiggins for a one year rental.

Also worth pointing out the Wizards have shown no interest in Love and seem set on maintaining cap room for a Durant offer.

Regardless, if Love leaves, that trade to get him is an abject disaster. The failure to get him to buy in would be that FO and coaching staff's most damning mistake. It would really put a damper on the huge momentum LeBron's return created.

Cleveland's role players are playing unsustainably well. So is that defense. You don't spend a season performing like crap and then revert to great in late May. The Hawks offense has just been that terrible so far and you don't project from the sample. In a vacuum, Dellavedova, Shumpert, LeBron, Thompson, and Mozgov is an athletic core of solid defenders but they've been together on court for two minutes. And JR Smith is the only other body left on the roster. And the season's body of play suggests that most of those role players have been playing out of their minds.

LeBron has been almost as individually great as Curry. But if it comes down to LeBron battling even with Curry and then the role players for each team determining the difference, GS would win a short series. They're superior in quality and depth AND they match up well against Cleveland. Green + Iggy will be the most effective tandem for guarding Lebron that he'll face this postseason and I'm not sure Cleveland has an effective solution for stopping Golden State's small lineups. Thompson on Green is a bad match up and if you have LeBron play up and JR Smith and Shumpert play the wings, then you either have Thompson on Bogut or on the bench. Those options seem worse. Thompson and LeBron loses the rebounding battle to Bogut and Green. And Bogut won't have to guard Mozgov and he won't have to play Thompson for the jumper. Just not going to be any space for Cleveland unless their streak shooters get hot from outside. You can't reliably eat like that.

Cleveland needs somebody big on GS to get hurt to win.

Looking at the regular season Lebron and Shumpert missed the first game against the Warriors, but the Cavs beat the Warriors last time they played 110-99.  Lebron abused Igudola and Green scoring 42 points.  The splash brothers were held to 10 of 30 shooting with Shumpert and Smith primarily on Thompson.  Shumpert was on Curry some and did well defending him.  Of the course that was the regular season and the Warriors were on the tail end of a long road schedule.  

For the Finals I think Thompson and Green will be a good battle on the boards.  Obviously the Cavs won't have Love and Irving his gimpy, but the Cavs defense is better now and Warriors have no one who can defend Lebron.  Curry will get his, but the Cavs have the ability to take away everyone else.  It'll be an interesting series.  

Windhorst and Lowe said they heard everyone thinks Kevin Love leaves this summer, and probably for the Lakers. Why the hell would he leave a title contender for a bottom five team? Just for the weather? It'd also mean potentially losing two max contract years: the one he gets for opting in this summer and the fifth year Cleveland can offer him next summer.

Not that he probably cares too much about money or fame.

I could see him seeking out a larger role where he can be an All Star and first or second option again. But he's not going going to want to play for a loser again, that killed Minnesota for him. The Lakers do not have the foundation in place to win with Love in the short term.

I bet he stays for at least one more year unless Lebron tells him to leave. He has said all along he is staying and he had a really good start to the playoffs both in winning and numbers wise. Plus, more teams will have a lot more cap space the following off season.

If he does leave, he would be wise to go West. Lebron will make it his personal mission to make sure that Love doesn't have playoff success since, in all likelihood, the East goes through Cleveland the next couple years at least.

I bet he stays for at least one more year unless Lebron tells him to leave. He has said all along he is staying and he had a really good start to the playoffs both in winning and numbers wise. Plus, more teams will have a lot more cap space the following off season.

If he does leave, he would be wise to go West. Lebron will make it his personal mission to make sure that Love doesn't have playoff success since, in all likelihood, the East goes through Cleveland the next couple years at least.

I don't see LeBron being the vindictive type, but he'll play to win regardless. That wouldn't effect my decision if I were Love. But I think you're right that it makes the most financial sense for Love to opt in. Signing a max deal with a new team this summer means he'll lose out on that 40 some odd % bump in the cap from the TV money. Also, I don't think he'd be able to get the fifth year from anyone but Cleveland plus he's already set to make max money next season if he opts in. That's six years of max earnings as opposed to four.

The other option could be opting out and signing a two year deal with a second year player option like LeBron did. But he's injured and coming off a down season. And you're right that there aren't many desirable landing spots with the cap room to sign him out right. Actually I'm not sure there are any.

I think his smartest play is to opt in, compete for a title, then see where he's at next summer when the cap jumps. If he's still miserable in Cleveland and wants to be more involved, then he should still be able to command a max deal from most teams in 2016, especially since everyone is going to have the room to offer it. And you're right that this is what he's said he's going to do all along. Unless he could force his way to a handpicked team while leaving the door open for a long term extension next summer, I don't see why he would do it differently. I'm not sure he has the leverage to force Cleveland to do anything. They can facilitate his exit by agreeing to a sign and trade if it's in their interest, but they can also let him walk for nothing and still be a contender in the East.

That flagrant 2 call was complete horse**** and Delladirty knows exactly what he's doing.

Bet the Cavs lose their minds if Blazemore or one of the Hawks hustle guys tried to box out Lebron's knees on a lose ball. But they won't because this hawks team has no dog in it.

• Like 3