Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Finals preview tonight?

GS @ ATL 7:30.

Would be nice to see two teams that no one predicted prior to the season ending up in the finals.  The Warriors were good but there were mocking voices about the undeserved love being showered upon a unproven rookie head coach to go with the standard criticism that they take too many jump shots.  Atlanta has been the poster child for playoff limbo, where it's always one and done and no lottery pick to rescue them. 

Would be nice to see two teams that no one predicted prior to the season ending up in the finals.  The Warriors were good but there were mocking voices about the undeserved love being showered upon a unproven rookie head coach to go with the standard criticism that they take too many jump shots.  

The Warriors do take a lot of jump shots, but they are also third in the NBA in points in the paint.   They get a ton of dunks off of fast breaks, back cuts, and extra passes by the big men.  What they don't do is post-up isos.  Backup point guard Sean Livingston is quite literally the only player on the team with a post up game.   

It remains to be seen how this will fly in the playoffs.  Charles Barkley thinks that when the refs start swallowing their whistles in the playoffs, the Warriors will be unable to get crunch time baskets and will get stagnant.   He might be right.    

• Like 1

David Lee and Andrew Bogut should have a post game at this point in their careers. Shame on them.

They have them, they just aren't super effective.  Lee gets blocked a lot, and both of them are much more effective out setting screens and passing from the elbow.   To use them posting up would ruin the Warriors offense.

ps - damn Atlanta is really, really good.   They just don't make mistakes.  The Warriors kill you by capitalizing on your mistakes, but the Hawks always seem to do the smart thing.   Really impressive. 

they are getting bounced before the conference finals. 

I feel the same way. I think they're gonna be like the Suns of a few years ago. Teams that come this out of nowhere don't tend to go that far.

I think Cleveland will end up winning the East. They seem to have got things figured out.

Everyone keeps saying they play the Spurs Way.  It's simply not true.  The spurs have super stars who play as a team. Tony Parker is one of the best finishers in NBA history.  Duncan commands so much respect despite being 38 yrs old.  And then you have Kawhi and Manu who can take over games anytime they want.

The Hawks have good players who play together.  When you need score on 1 possession at the end of the game who do the Hawks give the ball to? I trust no one on that team.  

Russ Westbrook

48pts, 11 assists, 9 rebounds, 4 stls and just hit 3 ft's to tie the game with 1.2 seconds left

and Unibrow says I'll just hit a 3pt shot to end the game, hell of a finish

That man double-pumped a 30ft+ three point shot and nailed it

Edited by StillUnknown

Everyone keeps saying they play the Spurs Way. It's simply not true. The spurs have super stars who play as a team. Tony Parker is one of the best finishers in NBA history. Duncan commands so much respect despite being 38 yrs old. And then you have Kawhi and Manu who can take over games anytime they want.

The Hawks have good players who play together. When you need score on 1 possession at the end of the game who do the Hawks give the ball to? I trust no one on that team.

And I'm sure you barely watch them play.

They have 2 guys on their team that have been all stars consistently. They play defense and offense well. The most underrated PG in the league. The best shooter in the league. Who in the East can even sniff them in a seven gamer outside of CLE ? Not one team

Comparing them to the Suns of old is a joke. That team had no defensive ability and MIKE ****ing Dantoni as coach

Hell, those Suns teams really got a raw deal in sense they were playing some of the greatest teams in the Last 20 years in the playoffs.

The Spurs, Lakers, Mavs, etc. were standing in their way annually.

The Hawks have the friggin Bulls, Wizards, and Raptors to look forward too. There is literally no comparison

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Everyone keeps saying they play the Spurs Way.  It's simply not true.  The spurs have super stars who play as a team. Tony Parker is one of the best finishers in NBA history.  Duncan commands so much respect despite being 38 yrs old.  And then you have Kawhi and Manu who can take over games anytime they want.

Without Pop those "super stars" would have looked pretty ineffective if relied upon in the playoffs, like every other NBA player 37 and over.  Even Parker is past his peak.  Don't under estimate how hard it is to knock off a team with talent (Atlanta has that) that play smart efficient basketball.  The question for the Hawks will be, can they execute and stay disciplined when teams turn up the pressure in the playoffs.  If they can, they'll be in the finals.  

The ball isn't going to go to the biggest star in crunch time, it's going to go to the best matchup and the hottest hand.  That's how great teams operate.  Very few superstars can just take over and win a game every time the game gets close so most teams can't rely on that style of play.  OKC relies on that too much and despite having two superstars they've seen the finals once (and got annihilated).  

*picture of KD and Unibrow*

That's a great picture.  Those are two super humans that are entirely too big to move like they do. 

They have them, they just aren't super effective.  Lee gets blocked a lot, and both of them are much more effective out setting screens and passing from the elbow.   To use them posting up would ruin the Warriors offense.

At Bogut's size, a post game should be a true weapon for him. If it were, the man would be a star a la Marc Gasol as one of the best two way centers in the game.

Lee is short but strong and he can shoot. A really good high post game would really help him score as his athleticism wanes. Same goes for Iggy but I don't see him as the type to substantially change his game as he ages. I think he'll just fall off a cliff.

Lee seems like the type who would be a high skill player--undersized white American--but he really isn't. He is an athlete and hustle guy.

Anyway, if Bogut and Lee had good post games, it wouldn't hurt your offense. Just add another dimension to it.

I think Harrison Barnes and Klay Thompson could be really really dangerous post players one day at their sizes and with their skill levels. They'd be able to post up their position easily. A good Klay Thompson turnaround fade would be unguardable and Barnes with good post footwork and some hook shots would give the GS offense a monstrous inside scoring tool. I feel like that's the one offensive tool that GS really lacks.

Though I'll say that Miami and OKC had the same hole during their peaks and it didn't hold them back from contending.

Great offense beats great defense. An incredible shot.

They look like the Eastern Conference Spurs but we still have to see them do it in the playoffs.

Atlanta has 33 free throw attempts in this game. Only the wizards lose when they go to the line that much.

Yeah they'll need to win a playoff series for me to truly trust them. We'll see what happens when we get there, but I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to play them and I wouldn't bet against them.

What you can say about them is that nobody in the league, much less the East, is playing better basketball than them right now. Their level of execution is almost perfect. And they've got three All Stars plus Korver making a combined 36 million dollars right now. The value they're getting from the roster is absolutely incredible. Each one of those top four players is massively underpaid. Each of them could come close to demanding double what they're paid on the open market. I bet thye'd all get a 75% bump in salary based on their play this season.

Also, I think it's time to give that Indy team from last season more credit. There is no shame in getting taken to seven games by that Hawks team. No shame in getting taken to six by a hot Wizards team. And no shame in losing to that Miami team in six. Especially considering how worn down that starting five was by the time they even got to the playoffs.

Edited by stevemcqueen1