• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      Good afternoon Redskins fans!  I have once again been invited to sit in the relative comfort of the press box and shout my thoughts into the void via this blog.  As you watch the game today and see the rain  pour relentlessly from the heavens, know that I am safe and dry.  Know also that @Spaceman Spiff is out there somewhere, cold and unappreciated, rolling around in the muck trying to capture that perfect picture.  Maybe say a little prayer for his health (or laugh, whatever, I’m not judging you).  Also, be sure not to miss the pictures he posts on this site after each game.     

Before we get into today's Redskins game, I want give some thanks for more positive occurrences in DC sports.  Congrats to the Washington Mystics for winning their first championship.  Congrats go out to the Washington Nationals as well for reaching the world series.  These two teams (along with the Caps) are working hard to change the sports related mood around this town, and we're all happier for it. 

Lets move now into less cheerful topics, namely your Washington Redskins!  Yow know things are going bad, and I mean really dang bad, when your team has gone through three quarterbacks and two coaches and your not even half way through the season.  Today's fresh hell comes in the form of a specter of the our recent past coming to smirk at our misfortune.  Im talking of course of Kyle.  Kyle's spent the week assuring everyone that he isn’t holding a grudge, while very obviously holding a grudge.  “Everything else.”  You know what I’m talking about. 

If all he brought to town were his hurt feelings we wouldn’t have a problem.  Sadly, he’s arrived with an undefeated football team that the NFL says we have to play this week.  This feels entirely unfair. 

My generic key to the game:  Run the ball and stop the run.  The team (spoiler alert: 49ers) that does this today will win.   

Redskins Inactives  
      QB Colt McCoy  
      S Deshazor Everett  
      CB Josh Norman  
      RB Chris THompson  
      LB Josh Harvey-Clemons 
      G Wes Martin  
      TE Vernon Davis  

49ers inactives  
      QB CJ Beathard 
      WR Deebo Samuel  
      CB Ahkello Witherspoon  
      FB Kyle Juszczyk 
      T Mike McGLinchey 
      T Joe Staley 
      DL DJ Jones 

1st Quarter Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers

Callahan wasn’t playing around when he said he wanted to run the ball.  That first drive was all runs, and looked great... right up until they tried to pass the ball.  Hopkins missed the relatively short fied goal, because of course he did.     

Maybe Quinn isn’t a good choice to be returning punts?  Consider it.    

That second Redskins drive looked more like what we’ve come to expect from this offense.  Run for negative yards, pass dropped, and an unsuccessful screen pass.  A quintessential Redskins three and out. 

Passing yards this quarter:  Redskins 3. 49ers 9.  Are you not entertained?! 

Half Time Update
      Redskins 0 – 0 49ers 

How happy are you to spend your Sunday afternoon watching this game?  Consider that some people paid money, to sit in a poncho, in the rain, to watch this game. 

It’s now time for those half time adjustments that our beloved skins do so well.  It’s unlikely the second half mirrors the first. 

3rd Quarter Update 
      Redskins 0 – 3 49ers  

Good news, this game will not end in a 0-0 tie.  Those half time adjustments have kicked in as expected and the 49ers have found a way onto the scoreboard in this messy throwback game.  The Redskins have decided to spend the second half collecting holding penalties and sadness.  Mercifully, only one quarter remains. 

End of Game Update 
      Redskins 0 – 9 49ers 

Callahan hasn’t spent much time as the head coach of the Washington Redskins, but he’s already proven that his team can waste 2nd half timeouts like a veteran.  It makes little sense to adopt a strategy that shortens the game when your team is losing, and it makes even less sense when your team is short on time outs.  I’m not really sure what the thinking as late in this game.    

Next week Kirk Cousins!   

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SWFLSkins

Hats off to the Draft team, Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen 2013

Starting back when they were hired they decided to change the culture of the Redskins through frugal and wise FA acquisitions and astute drafting. I say they have achieved that. They have made the team competitive and relevant.

Just last year there was talk of firing Shanahan and starting over, however last year's draft and conservative FA approach while enduring a cap hit all while winning the NFCE deserves praise, this is the praise our FO thread. LL, TK and others said we needed patience and understood this was a process, however the team has changed spots virtually before our eyes. Much faster than we had hoped or thought possible.

I say great job Men, thanks from this Redskins fan who wondered if he would see his team rally to become relevant again. The last two drafts, the approach, the feel of the team is evidence that yes you are competent in your task, hats off! HTTR!:beavisnbutthead:

A professional operation in every aspect, what a turnaround! One hell of a draft as it stands now. Shanahan was known for some questionable picks in Denver, but this time around him and the scouting operation have really gelled.

Completely, 100% agreed. Four drafts in, and I don't think there's been a :wtf: pick yet.

Well last year Morris was a little of a WTF pick. :ols: So now this staff has the benefit of the doubt from me for a good while.

Well, we haven't seen anyone play yet, but you certainly don't get the sense that we did anything silly like the three WRs in the second while missing on DeSean Jackson. Initial impressions look terrific! I hope the majority pan out as well as we hope. I also hope we pick up an OT, OG and ILB in FA who can contribute.

Well last year Morris was a little of a WTF pick. :ols: So now this staff has the benefit of the doubt from me for a good while.

Well, to clarify, there hasn't been a Vinny Cerrato/Al Davis level :wtf: pick.

Based on the immediate production the Redskins 2012 draft was one of the best drafts in history. RG3 had one of the best rookie seasons ever, Morris ran for the third most yards of any rookie in NFL history, and Cousins contributed right away. I believe those three players won twelve of the seventeen rookie of the week awards last year.

I was worried because of the AJ Smith influence but I like who we picked. Not to mention we didn't trade picks to get players you shook your head at. I'll go cliche mode, training camp cant get here soon enough

Kirk Cousins was the one that got the most heat and that seems like it's working out well at the moment. What round would Kirk have gone in this draft if the other teams knew what they know now.

Id really have liked a WR in this draft. Our WR core is definetly left wanting, but I cant say I was upset at any of the picks. Most of the picks I actually really like...

year 1- install the 3-4 defense, take out the trash

year 2- build the front 7, build the support system for the QB

year 3- get the QB

year 4- rebuild secondary

Kirk Cousins was the one that got the most heat and that seems like it's working out well at the moment. What round would Kirk have gone in this draft if the other teams knew what they know now.

Even without hindsight, Cousins would have been the first QB off the board.

A RB is never a wtf moment with Shanahan / Bobby Turner

year 1- install the 3-4 defense, take out the trash

year 2- build the front 7, build the support system for the QB

year 3- get the QB

year 5- collect underpants

year 6- ?????

year 7- profit!

this is the first time i've EVER watched the entire 7 rounds of the draft. it has really been exciting. To say that these guys know what they're doing is an understatement.

year 1- install the 3-4 defense, take out the trash......check

year 2- build the front 7, build the support system for the QB......check

year 3- get the QB......check

......check

Win the Super Bowl..........

we don't know how any of these guys will turn out, or if they all make the team. But I like the picks they did make.

Hats off to the gentlemen!

Although I really wish we had taken Ryan Swope with our 2nd 5th rounder.

Completely, 100% agreed. Four drafts in, and I don't think there's been a :wtf: pick yet.

Yes there was..... Kirk Cousins......but he was right so I guesss that doesn't count. :)

I think this to be the best draft we have had under this regime, if not ever. We have had a single better draft pick, aka RG111, Darrell Green, Sean Taylor, etc; but this entire draft was great......This draft gets an A.

FA was handled better than I expected, and I'm very happy with the draft.

The FO has proved itself to be very competent and professional for multiple seasons now. I'm proud to be a Redskin fan.

Just one thing, how are we gonna sign our picks again?