Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

"This is my assumption, and I don't know for certain because I'm white, but I feel like some Native Americans can call their friends "redskins" much the same as some African Americans can call their friends ""n-word"." It's a sense of pride between them as they share a common bond and a history of struggles against oppression in our country. I can understand that."

At least you haven't gone the "we took their land" route...

Or have you?

"This is my assumption, and I don't know for certain because I'm white, but I feel like some Native Americans can call their friends "redskins" much the same as some African Americans can call their friends ""n-word"." It's a sense of pride between them as they share a common bond and a history of struggles against oppression in our country. I can understand that."

At least you haven't gone the "we took their land" route...

Or have you?

Remind me again how many Native Americans we have playing on our team?

But using your logic...if we had one, or two, like we did when the team moved from Boston (which is fact, and im not talking about the coach at that time)...it would be ok to have the name.

Your quote:

"This is my assumption, and I don't know for certain because I'm white, but I feel like some Native Americans can call their friends "redskins" much the same as some African Americans can call their friends ""n-word"." It's a sense of pride between them as they share a common bond and a history of struggles against oppression in our country. I can understand that. "

But using your logic...if we had one, or two, like we did when the team moved from Boston (which is fact, and im not talking about the coach at that time)...it would be ok to have the name.

Your quote:

"This is my assumption, and I don't know for certain because I'm white, but I feel like some Native Americans can call their friends "redskins" much the same as some African Americans can call their friends ""n-word"." It's a sense of pride between them as they share a common bond and a history of struggles against oppression in our country. I can understand that. "

you've misunderstood.  I can see how people of minority can use those terms, just the same as i can call my white boy friends "crackers." :)  but i wouldn't want any team to use a name that disparages a race.

If 9% of Natives think the name of the Red Mesa Redskins is offensive, you plan on leading the crusade to force them to change it?

I mean, what with your position that it doesn't matter how many aren't offended, and all, only the ones offended count.

FireInHisBelly, you should be embarrassed of yourself. If you have that much of a problem with the name; your problem is easily remedied. No, almost all of us are not " with you ". You're bringing up things that are old to us. Almost all of us love the name, and we have the best logo in the NFL. You're passion to change the name is exceeded only by your ignorance of the term. I would say good luck, but I wouldn't mean it. So ...

Hail to the Redskins

No, i understand. The exercise im putting you through is to show that this issue isnt cut and dry like you think.

Saying "redskin" is racist is irresponsible. You could say its controversial, or complicated, but not "racist".

Why?

Because for every article or fact you cite to prove it is racist, there is a competing article or link or quote or historical fact to prove otherwise.

please, enlighten us.  especially because you're not offended by the term.  you're native american, right?

Read the thread. No one is called a Redskins besides the football team players and coaches. Your ignorance is to think that someone would ever call me a Redskin or anyone in my family. That has never happened and my Grandmother is in her 90's.

It's assinine for you to even suggest that we call each other Redskin, not because it's offensive, but because it's not used in that manner. It is used to talk about the Washington Redskins.

You're elightened white man.

I'm a white guy.  I'm not personally offended by the name "redskins."  I live in Washington state and the only time my skin turns red is when I stay in the sun too much.  

088519-new-politically-correct-nfl-and-m

Over half a million...reality...90% of them are not Natives.

Piss poor argument brought from the pro-name change crew.

Nah. His math holds up.

9% of Natives is around a half a million.

Granted, that means that 90% equals around five million.

But they aren't important. Not like the half million are.

This kid is a troll, this is UnWise Mike pretending to be a fan. You're not, it's easy to tell, you have no facts, ignore the facts presented, and are purposely trying to anger folks. No one on here, even semi-sympathizers, have come to your defense. You are intolerable, if you are too lazy to read, then you are a slob. I can't even comprehend how full of yourself you must be to start spouting off garbage that has been shot down months ago, and expect people to go over again why what you're saying is not only wrong, but racist because of the fact you think you are some high and mighty white man that can tell others what they should be doing. You are the worst kind of person, you take pride in telling an entire race how they should feel, then try to call then names to get a rise out of them because they sat they aren't provoked by you. So would you get offended if I call you a drunk Irish, a rapist Viking, a murderous raider, buccaneer, or cowboy, a greedy 49er, a midget, a fudge packer, a pedophile saint, a turncoat patriot, buffalo bill, a brown skin, a poor blue collar steeler, a redneck Texan, a slave owning titan, or chief? Shut up, you're obnoxious Mike, we don't care what you think. The only folks opinions who matter are actual native Americans, the ones Dan Snyder is trying to actually help with their needs not a stupid name change, and actual Redskins fans. Go home.

Saying "redskin" is racist is irresponsible. You could say its controversial, or complicated, but not "racist".

Oh, I would say it's very plain that the word "Redskins" in the team's name, refers to a race, and is, therefore, racist. At least in the sense that any word which admits that race exists, is racist.

Now, to claim that it's racially INSULTING, you have to assume that somebody chose to name a professional sports team something insulting. Kinda like calling a team the New York Crybabies or the Philadelphia Sissies.

But hey. Mustn't pay attention to those logic holes.

You're not sharing your thoughts, you are trying to get a rise out of people. You're just rehashing old information. Why are you too lazy to read? Why should anyone have to lay all the facts out for you again? You aren't special, you are being a child. Stop wasting everyone's time, instead of using your bff Google to repost old links just click page 1 and actually read. You expect everyone on this board to cater to you because you're new? Grow up, if you have all this time to act like a child you have enough time to read the thread. If not, go away, you are just trying to be a troll.

This is my assumption, and I don't know for certain because I'm white, but I feel like some Native Americans can call their friends "redskins" much the same as some African Americans can call their friends ""n-word"."  It's a sense of pride between them as they share a common bond and a history of struggles against oppression in our country.  I can understand that.  But I don't think that it gives me, a white man, the privilege to use the same verbiage. 

So by your logic we could expect a majority African American High School to have a team called the N word, and that would be OK.  And we could imagine a white person pretending to be an African American in the 1920s to further his career, like Lone Star Dietz allegedly pretended to be a Native American.  Nothing frustrates me more than the false equivalency of the N word and Redskins. It is akin to Godwin's law, where Bush or Obama become Hitler despite not having exterminated 6 million people.  Jim Thorpe was at the least a figurative head of the NFL in the 1920s, how many African Americans were allowed to play the game at that time?  It has been documented that Redskins was coined by Native Americans and a neutral term referring to them through the period of their worst persecution, can you say the same of African Americans and the N word?  Finally, context gives words meaning - Is Hail to the Redskins deragutory?  I am not in the camp of people who say they would quit the team or be especially upset if the name was changed, but I am offended by the false arguments that are being made.

And now back to  "Last Year's Arguments", starring Troy McClure as a man convinced that people are offended without bothering to ask them.

By the by, nice fat kid signature image.

Obesity is hilariously funny, and those people haven't got feelings. See him smile while his friends force him to dance so they can laugh at his physical condition?

~Bang

Nah. His math holds up.

9% of Natives is around a half a million.

Granted, that means that 90% equals around five million.

But they aren't important. Not like the half million are.

I am saying that 90% of the 9%. haha.

It's absurd. The Native people that are supporting a name change have an agenda for attention which is not needed.

It's absurd. The Native people that are supporting a name change have an agenda for attention which is not needed.

I wouldn't go there.

Yes, I assume (based, I'll admit, on nothing more than my low opinion of most people who seek public attention) that a lot of the folks in front of the cameras, are simply exhibiting mock outrage, because they want to get in front of the camera.

(It's because they're acting so much like Jessee Jackson and Al Sharpton, that I'm mentally putting them in the same file folder.)

But are all 500,000 people faking outrage, just for a poll?

I doubt it. I assume that the vast majority of the folks who say they're offended, actually are.

For those of you clamoring for a poll from Native Americans asking about the name, here you go. And I know it won't answer all of what you want to hear, but it's worth the read nevertheless: http://www.oneidaindiannation.com/pressroom/Oneida-Indian-Nation-Releases-Poll-Data-Showing-That-a-Name-Change-by-Washingtons-NFL-Team-Would-Lead-to-Continued-or-Strengthened-Support-for-the-Team-228005011.html

LoL! So the same Native group pushing for a revisionist history commissions a poll and they only poll 3% of Native Americans!? LoL! This is your idea of proof? A sampling so small that in the results their total is just listed as **.

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=b41b9bde-1b19-40f7-af86-0b585eb8df03

But you're so hung up on polls and numbers.  I'm just saying that, polls be damned, hundreds of thoughts of people are ready for us to change our name and we won't do it.  Do you think any other NFL team is going through this right now?!  It's ridiculous.

Right, polls be damned. The one statistical verifiable measure that we have on the actual opinion of people who are all supposed to be universally offended by the name and you want to throw that out, why might that be I wonder?

Quoting myself here since some of you think that I'm trying to say that as white people we need to tell others how to feel.  To clarify, it's quite the opposite to me.  Hundreds of thousands of Natives are offended and we should respect that.  They have my support.

Tyranny of the extreme minority, what a great way to live in freedom and democracy.

Archived