Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HBO's Third WW2 Mini-series with Hanks & Spielberg - focus on air war in Europe

USS Redskins

For those of us who were big fans of Band of Brothers and The Pacific... HBO is developing a 3rd WW2 mini-series that will focus on the Eighth Air Force in Europe. Using the non-fiction, Masters of the Air as source material.

No title or confirmed air date yet. Based on past info, this would be out sometime in 2015.

I am def. psyched for this. I expect the B-17 bomber to be the star of the series...

I loved Band and thought the Pacific was good but a tad flawed. Still, both great stories.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-developing-third-wwii-miniseries-413632

Cool,, if they use an Ambrose book as the basis, The Wild Blue is about B 24 crews from Italy who bombed Germany and central asia.

Former democratic presidential candidate George McGovern is one of the main pilots the book speaks about.

I can't wait.

~Bang

That sounds great! Military aircraft has long been an interest of mine (since a kid living next to Elmendorf AFB). One of my favorite past possession was a magnificently carved wood-encased set (with ivory inlays) of beautifully leather-bound and immaculately crafted Japanese military texts on all WW I & II aircraft and their history (with English translations) and full of many incredible and rare photos from the 1910's to late 1940's. It was stolen many years ago. :(

Cool,, if they use an Ambrose book as the basis, The Wild Blue is about B 24 crews from Italy who bombed Germany and central asia.

Former democratic presidential candidate George McGovern is one of the main pilots the book speaks about.

I can't wait.

~Bang

I read that a while back, thought it was boring. Couldn't even finish.

Now, the autobiography of Bob Hoover... much better, although it got a bit boring later one as well.

Hopefully this will be better than the Pacific. That was so graphic in parts and in language, that I had to turn it off. Specifically the scene with the decapitated Japanese gunner.

Band of Brothers : damned near perfect production and writing.

Pacific : I enjoyed the overall story, but could never differentiate between the characters and I didn't think much of the actors selected for each role. But then again, BoB was an impossible act to follow.

As a teen, one aspect of WW II i was most interested in was the role of air power in western Europe. The Battle of Britain, the Blitz and German bombing of English cities, new technology such as radar, the nighttime and daylight raids against Germany and the German defensive response.

The daylight USAF raids on the ball bearing factories of Schweinfurt are an epic all of their own.

From the Brtish perspective there has always been the controvsial hero/villain "Bomber Harris who led the RAF aerial bombing campaign against German cities and in particular targeting civilians.

---------- Post added January-21st-2013 at 03:42 PM ----------

Loved Band of Brothers.

Less impressed with The Pacific. Maybe if the characters had been better developed early on it would have been more compelling. The violence in Pacific was gratuitous and lost its horror. The scene with the Japanese gunner was comical more than anything.

Archived