Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Ticket Prices - Will they be Raised

newticketholder

It was 2006, right after the playoffs. Remember... ?

The pattern has been, if we go to the playoffs, prices go up. It happened after the '99 season and after the 2005 season. The 2007 season is the anomaly.

It was wasn't it?

Jim%20Zorn%20Thumbs%20Up.jpg

The pattern has been, if we go to the playoffs, prices go up. It happened after the '99 season and after the 2005 season. The 2007 season is the anomaly.

They did go up in 2002 or 2003, but the lowers only went from $75 to $79, not nearly as significantly as the other two times.

Since the Redskins are saving so much on this Cap Penalty over these two years, they could pass the savings onto us season ticket holders. I am right in that the NFL is not allowing them to spend $36 Mil on Players over two years, correct? I'm betting they don't really factor that in and still raise prices for some if not all of the tickets.

What I would like to see happen if they do raise ticket prices is to: 1.) Include the tax in the price of the ticket, so if a ticket is $79 plus tax, the ticket price will say $87 on it. I think some if not most NFL teams include the tax in the price listed on the ticket. 2.) Give a discount on preseason tickets. I understand that they would have to raise regular season tickets prices 20% or so to cover this discount and we will still end up paying the same over the course of the season, but it would look better to see that you are only paying $29 for a preseason game instead of $79. Also, by doing these two things, it makes it easier to get your friends to reimburse you for your extra tickets. Right now, when I ask for $87 for a $79 ticket they look at me like I am ripping them off, even though I am in essence giving them a discount because I paid full price for meaningless preseason games that they didn't want to go to. I have to go through this whole explanaition about the taxes and all and it just feels awkward.

In my opinion, the only place that I would say the market can handle them raising ticket prices is the lower level sideline in the 100 and 200 level. They could probably charge $120-$130 a seat and be ok and not get too many cancellations. All the other areas, I think they are already pushing it with the prices.

It's all a game w/ the TO's prices for premium seating. Zone A clubs were advertised at just under 5k per seat (3 yr min) back in the mid 2000s. By the late 2000s we were reading stories of people geting Zone As for under $2500 per seat. I've never read of people getting one year contracts for premium seats, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of such. The base prices for premium seating are like the sticker price for a car. Most people end up paying less than the advertised rate.

I got club seats (zone D) for one year this year. On top of that, I got additional free Bengals tickets to the season opener and also got a guarantee to move to the lower level sideline for the upcoming season. If lower level are not available, I get the same club seats at lower level GA pricing until such time lower level seats become available. That offer ended after the first game or two of the season, but it was definitely there. Cost was $200 per ticket per game. I was very happy with that deal.

Since the Redskins are saving so much on this Cap Penalty over these two years, they could pass the savings onto us season ticket holders. I am right in that the NFL is not allowing them to spend $36 Mil on Players over two years, correct?
I don't think the owner is going to pass savings onto his customers. Nice idea though.
What I would like to see happen if they do raise ticket prices is to: 1.) Include the tax in the price of the ticket, so if a ticket is $79 plus tax, the ticket price will say $87 on it. I think some if not most NFL teams include the tax in the price listed on the ticket.

That's the way it was before the last price hike. It enabled them to pad the price hike. The hike went from LL $79 to $109, but it was presented as going only from "$79" to "$99" and then they added the tax which had been included before. They won't go back. Nice idea though.

2.) Give a discount on preseason tickets. I understand that they would have to raise regular season tickets prices 20% or so to cover this discount and we will still end up paying the same over the course of the season, but it would look better to see that you are only paying $29 for a preseason game instead of $79. Also, by doing these two things, it makes it easier to get your friends to reimburse you for your extra tickets. Right now, when I ask for $87 for a $79 ticket they look at me like I am ripping them off, even though I am in essence giving them a discount because I paid full price for meaningless preseason games that they didn't want to go to. I have to go through this whole explanaition about the taxes and all and it just feels awkward.
I agree 100%.

It used to be, back in older RFK days, that the pre-season games were normal price, but they were optional for season ticket holders. So if season ticket holders didn't want them, the team would sell them to waiting list holders or the general public. But at some point, JKC changed that and made the purchase mandatory with the season tickets. No more option.

The world is changing and the team should change with it. Redskins tickets are bought and sold all the time, and the complete transaction is often completed in an instant via e-tickets. The team wants to raise prices, so hike invoices X%. Discount the preseason games. Take the lost revenue from the two discounted games and add it into the regular season games. The team is happy, the fans are happy, everybody is happy.

In my opinion, the only place that I would say the market can handle them raising ticket prices is the lower level sideline in the 100 and 200 level. They could probably charge $120-$130 a seat and be ok and not get too many cancellations. All the other areas, I think they are already pushing it with the prices.
I tend to agree with you, although I think the OV seats can be raised quite a bit.

Regardless of what happens, I'm going to stay on the aftermarket.

IIt used to be, back in older RFK days, that the pre-season games were normal price, but they were optional for season ticket holders. So if season ticket holders didn't want them, the team would sell them to waiting list holders or the general public. But at some point, JKC changed that and made the purchase mandatory with the season tickets. No more option.

I'd be curious to know exactly what year preseason tickets became mandatory. I bought season tickets through another party in 1998 (not thru the Redskins) for the lower level and did not have to buy the preseason games. But by 1999 I was in the club level, and was paying for 10 games.

I'd be curious to know exactly what year preseason tickets became mandatory. I bought season tickets through another party in 1998 (not thru the Redskins) for the lower level and did not have to buy the preseason games. But by 1999 I was in the club level, and was paying for 10 games.

I seem to remember it being 1996 - possibly 1995.

It was definitely sometime in the early to mid 90s, after the last SB, but before the Skins left RFK. I remember my dad complaining about it at the time. Hard to believe the Skins used to pack the stadium for preseason, and people gladly paid full price for the privilege to have a Redskins ticket at face value. I wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer people attending preseason games today than there was 20 years ago; despite 30k+ more seats and tickets in circulation.

I'll be interested to see this. It has been 7 years since they've raised prices, but that was a huge price hike.

The one area of the stadium where demand still exceeds supply is LL sideline, but I doubt the Skins would just raise prices on those seats and leave the other zones untouched. One thing I am sure of is that when prices are adjusted again, it won't be a flat rate for the lower bowl. LL sideline seats will definitely be priced higher than LL end zone.

The Dallas and Ravens game went at a premium, but you could find face value tickets for almost every other game (including the playoff game). My problem is that because of the preseason, I am $1,000 deep before opening day (4 tickets + parking pass). I am seriously considering giving mine up and just buying off stub hub. I will probably save money that way.

I'll be interested to see this. It has been 7 years since they've raised prices, but that was a huge price hike.

The one area of the stadium where demand still exceeds supply is LL sideline, but I doubt the Skins would just raise prices on those seats and leave the other zones untouched. One thing I am sure of is that when prices are adjusted again, it won't be a flat rate for the lower bowl. LL sideline seats will definitely be priced higher than LL end zone.

It used to be that way. Snyder changed it to a flat rate. What makes you think he'll change it back?

I hate to say this, but mid corner in the upper level is priced as if it is sidelines.

Good luck.

Yeah I know, that's why I'm hoping with my fingers crossed. On the other hand they may just price them all at the same level again.

It used to be, back in older RFK days, that the pre-season games were normal price, but they were optional for season ticket holders. So if season ticket holders didn't want them, the team would sell them to waiting list holders or the general public. But at some point, JKC changed that and made the purchase mandatory with the season tickets. No more option.

Mark,

My father had seats back in Griffith Stadium in the 50's and when DC Stadium (RFK) was built he and his college buddies went to a "pick a seat" day and got their seats all together. Those were the seats I sat in at RFK until the final Cowboys game before the move to FedEx.

My father once told me that a benefit of buying season tickets way back when was that you were only charged for 5 games and got the 6th game free (that's when they only played 12 games) Wonder if any of the other old timers could verify this. I still remember when a can of Schaefer at RFK was $2.50 :)

I remember as a kid my father NEVER purchased the preseason games and that the preseason at RFK was the only time many non season tix holders could ever see the team live.

On another note....I think the team will remain tight lipped about any timetables for RG3's return until after price increases are absorbed and invoices are paid...just a hunch.

---------- Post added January-11th-2013 at 08:02 PM ----------

The Dallas and Ravens game went at a premium, but you could find face value tickets for almost every other game (including the playoff game). My problem is that because of the preseason, I am $1,000 deep before opening day (4 tickets + parking pass). I am seriously considering giving mine up and just buying off stub hub. I will probably save money that way.

I'm with you.....I have 4 lowers as well and am considering dumping them. I haven't been upgraded once in 3 years with the new upgrade process while everyone around me has moved 2-3 sections closer to the 50. They give me the same bull**** song and dance every year about how it's hard to move 4 together...yet if I buy clubs they'll be able to do it in 2 years.

Let's say they raise my tix to $125 each and parking stays at $35....that's $1170 for 2 worthless preseason games that I'd have to spend OVER face value the rest of the year. I'm guessing that it would be next to impossible to not come out ahead. There might be a couple of premium games per season.

Kind of seems like a no brainer to me.

All that being said...guarantee that I get half a dozen calls offering me an "upgrade" to Clubs if I make a deal.

I sat in Clubs for the playoff game and will never do it again. The ENTIRE section other than me and the 3 guys I was with sat on their ass the whole game. It was disgraceful.

In this economy' date=' I can see the day coming when many fans will be forced to give up their passion of tailgating and living for game-day. With the players being way over-paid to play a game, the average fan already can not afford this type of entertainment. This is not going to get better, but worse. Don't be surprised when the day dawns and this becomes a major crisis for some teams, and then the entire NFL. And this will force the NFL to return to the old days, when players were paid modest incomes, and, that's if they want this business to survive. Then we will really see which players play for the love of the game.[/quote']

so if they dont go to the games they stay home and watch them, hence the HUGE tv contract the league has, which is where they get a good chunk of their money

It used to be that way. Snyder changed it to a flat rate. What makes you think he'll change it back?

I could see it happening because of the high demand for LL sideline (very little turnover, and almost nobody on this board has reported an upgrade to LL sideline) relative to LL end zone (the past two seasons, it seems like they were offering LL end zone upgrades to just about everyone in the upper deck). Plus, the obvious point that LL sideline are better seats than LL end zone.

It just seems like Danny could squeeze a lot more juice from those seats.

A few things.

I personally did not find face value tickets for any of the games I went to last year - except for a couple where a season ticket holder and ES member was kind enough to sell me at face (both division games). So - I think you might find that you don't save money and you might even pay more by buying on the aftermarket. OTOH, if season tickets go up, the scene changes a bit. Another thing that makes a huge difference is where the seats are located.

Re the pre-season ticket loss, I think you might be looking at this from the wrong angle. IMO, you should not think of the preseason games as a loss. Instead, think of the regular season tix as costing more or being worth more. So a $109 ticket actually cost you around $130. It's worth $130 to you and if you have to sell it, you should try to get $130 for it. And when you do, you should consider that you didn't make money, you broke even. In general.

Also, I don't like Stubhub being referred to like it was Kleenex. There are other places to buy tickets. It really bugs me that they make 25% on every sale. I much prefer eBay, although you have to go to a little more trouble to find what you want. The prices are cheaper and there are no fees to the buyer.

Mark,

My father had seats back in Griffith Stadium in the 50's and when DC Stadium (RFK) was built he and his college buddies went to a "pick a seat" day and got their seats all together. Those were the seats I sat in at RFK until the final Cowboys game before the move to FedEx.

My father once told me that a benefit of buying season tickets way back when was that you were only charged for 5 games and got the 6th game free (that's when they only played 12 games) Wonder if any of the other old timers could verify this. I still remember when a can of Schaefer at RFK was $2.50 :)

I remember as a kid my father NEVER purchased the preseason games and that the preseason at RFK was the only time many non season tix holders could ever see the team live.

Good info. It makes sense to me to give a game for free. They needed a draw back then.

Yes - I remember in the 70s getting into games in the pre-season. I was just a kid, of course. It was a magical experience, because there was just no way that I knew of - of getting in during the season.

On another note....I think the team will remain tight lipped about any timetables for RG3's return until after price increases are absorbed and invoices are paid...just a hunch.

Aren't the invoices due like - March 15th? I don't think anybody is going to have a timetable on RGIII by mid March, except for the one that we already know.

I sat in Clubs for the playoff game and will never do it again. The ENTIRE section other than me and the 3 guys I was with sat on their ass the whole game. It was disgraceful.

Yeah - I don't like the club, partly for that reason. It's relatively dead. And everybody I know who has been up there says the same thing. The sightlines are good, but the distance is just a little bit too far for my liking. And there is hardly any energy.

But what really got me was the Bills game in '07 after ST passed. Gibbs called that dumb second time out and we lost. And Sean's body is not even cold yet, and as I walked through the club concourse after the game, everybody in the club was just laughing and celebrating and having a grand old time. It made me sick. Who are these people? I still get nauseous thinking about it. I just don't want to go up there ever again.

I could see it happening because of the high demand for LL sideline (very little turnover, and almost nobody on this board has reported an upgrade to LL sideline) relative to LL end zone (the past two seasons, it seems like they were offering LL end zone upgrades to just about everyone in the upper deck). Plus, the obvious point that LL sideline are better seats than LL end zone.

It just seems like Danny could squeeze a lot more juice from those seats.

I agree that he could. It's just odd that he would purposely change it to flat rate, and then purposely change it back, but I agree he could do it and it would work for him.

Yeah - I don't like the club, partly for that reason. It's relatively dead. And everybody I know who has been up there says the same thing. The sightlines are good, but the distance is just a little bit too far for my liking. And there is hardly any energy.

But what really got me was the Bills game in '07 after ST passed. Gibbs called that dumb second time out and we lost. And Sean's body is not even cold yet, and as I walked through the club concourse after the game, everybody in the club was just laughing and celebrating and having a grand old time. It made me sick. Who are these people? I still get nauseous thinking about it. I just don't want to go up there ever again.

We had a 10-year contract with the Skins for the club level and after spending a year away from it, got a good deal from someone on eBay and have been back there for the past three seasons. The current seats are in row 10 and are great from the standpoint of them being in the first row of the upper club tier, so if the folks in row 9 decide to stand, you aren't bothered. I know there's the whole age-old debate on here about standing versus sitting, and I feel like my section made plenty of noise the past two games without standing hardly at all. OTOH, I did sit in the lower bowl for the Pats game last season...."sit" being relative, because we stood all game. Sorry, if you're paying over $100 to attend, you should have the option to sit. And as we agree, prices on those seats are likely going to increase. No thanks, and especially to Snyder, who installed the dream seats and thus created a problem that hadn't existed before.

I do hear you about the folks who have club tickets who just seem to attend because its trendy and just hang out in the concourse instead of actually going into the seating bowl. I went inside at halftime of the Seattle game to get food and the first thing I see is some dude flying down onto the floor, looking wasted. SMH.

My father once told me that a benefit of buying season tickets way back when was that you were only charged for 5 games and got the 6th game free (that's when they only played 12 games) Wonder if any of the other old timers could verify this.

I could see them offering a free game incentive when the teams were awful in the 1950s. Griffith held 40k, with a ton of obstructed seats, the league was still young w/ little TV exposure. The league played up to six preseason games then, though many were on the road in non NFL towns. No chance STHs had to buy home games. The opening game at DC Stadium in 1961 v NYG wasn't even close to a sellout. There was almost nobody sitting behind the endzones in the upper or lower decks. Pick a seat day in 1961 was probably a free for all STHS in the 500 level; lacking drama as to who got trasferred where. Our grandfathers sowed the seeds for us to reep in the 80s and 90s. :cool:

Aren't the invoices due like - March 15th? I don't think anybody is going to have a timetable on RGIII by mid March, except for the one that we already know.

I guess that I could have worded that a little better. Even if the Skins feel that the injury will cause RG3 to miss a significant amount or all of the regular season I'd imagine they would keep that under wraps. Just makes business sense.

I think most of the pricing needs to be rethought including the parking. Why does Green and Gray and Orange cost the same? Gray needs to be $10 cheaper, Orange $5 more expensive. As for ticket prices, there is like 5 different price levels in the upper level, but the lower level are all the same prices. Why are the tickets on the 50 yard line in the low 200 section the same price as the low 100 section? Yet in the upper level the prices in the Upper 400 section are cheaper then the Lower 400 section.

Archived