Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas fires Rob Ryan

DeMarco Murray 29

Would be loads of fun... but they'd have to keep Sanchez, too. Too bad Rob and Norv are off the market.

I consider this yet another offseason full of missed opportunities for the Jets.

Now if only they draft a TE in the first round.

• 2 weeks later...

Saints hire Rob Ryan as DC

LINK

Saints coach Sean Payton has chosen Rob Ryan as his new defensive coordinator, hoping New Orleans can overhaul a unit that was historically bad last season.

Ryan, the brother of New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, spent the past two seasons as Dallas' defensive coordinator. He was fired after last season, when his defense ranked 19th.

''We have experience in preparing and playing against his defenses and they've always been challenging in terms of the different looks and pressures that they feature,'' Payton said when Ryan's hiring was announced Saturday, one day after he interviewed for the job. ''We've had the chance to visit with each other and talk about our visions for our team and I'm excited about moving forward as we prepare for the 2013 season.''

More at link.

The Saints could be scary this season.

They have some work to do. That defense was just horrendous last season. I don't know how much switching to thye 3-4 would change anything that they do. To my knowledge, the only guy that they have who's played in the 3-4 before, was Vilma, when he played in Mangini's system in NY. It's going to be a pretty big adjustment for a team that was already one of the leagues worst defenses.

They have some work to do. That defense was just horrendous last season. I don't know how much switching to thye 3-4 would change anything that they do. To my knowledge, the only guy that they have who's played in the 3-4 before, was Vilma, when he played in Mangini's system in NY. It's going to be a pretty big adjustment for a team that was already one of the leagues worst defenses.
I agree. I don't think you go from a historically bad defense to "scary" in just one offseason. Ryan had a lot more talent to work with last year, yet was let go. As of right now, I see the Saints winning 10 games. That's gonna be an awfully tough division next year, imo.

I didn't make that comment solely because of Ryan, though, more talent or not in Dallas, Ryan will have a unit this season that will not only give a ****, unlike last year, but are going to be out for blood after all of their suspensions are now over. They will be on a mission, something no Dallas squad has had in over a decade. Add to it Peyton being back and on his own mission along with Brees, and that team will be scary. They will easily win their division and they will be either one or two in the NFC next year. Hopefully, we will be the one team ahead of them.

Bad players can play hard and still be bad players.

If you think that their defense is made up of bad players, you haven't been paying attention. One could say with all of the injuries we sustained this year on defense, that we had a mostly bad to mediocre defense as far as personnel was concerned. But, once they got it and played hard, they changed the course of the season.

If you think that their defense is made up of bad players, you haven't been paying attention. One could say with all of the injuries we sustained this year on defense, that we had a mostly bad to mediocre defense as far as personnel was concerned. But, once they got it and played hard, they changed the course of the season.

I disagree. They were supposed to be upset and play hard at the start of the year and they didn't, they were supposed to set the world on fire when Vilma came back and they didn't. They didn't make the playoffs this year because their D sucked all year, like one of the worst Ds of all time bad. So I'm not sure what I missed when I was paying attention. They were horrible at an historic level all year.

---------- Post added February-9th-2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/12/new_orleans_saints_defense_has_7.html

Read the stats in there....they were not good. At all.

I didn't make that comment solely because of Ryan, though, more talent or not in Dallas, Ryan will have a unit this season that will not only give a ****, unlike last year, but are going to be out for blood after all of their suspensions are now over. They will be on a mission, something no Dallas squad has had in over a decade. Add to it Peyton being back and on his own mission along with Brees, and that team will be scary. They will easily win their division and they will be either one or two in the NFC next year. Hopefully, we will be the one team ahead of them.

They just don't have the talent to be an even top 15 D right now. And they were bad before all of the suspensions. Other than 1-2 good years under GW, they've been pretty bad for a long time. That team spends it's money on offense. They'll never be scary while Sean Payton is the coach and Drew Brees is the QB. And had more than enough crap thrown their way to care this past season, but it didn't matter, because they just aren't that good, or talented.

They just don't have the talent to be an even top 15 D right now. And they were bad before all of the suspensions. Other than 1-2 good years under GW, they've been pretty bad for a long time. That team spends it's money on offense. They'll never be scary while Sean Payton is the coach and Drew Brees is the QB. And had more than enough crap thrown their way to care this past season, but it didn't matter, because they just aren't that good, or talented.
Didn't they lead the NFL in turnover ratio in Williams' last season? Even when he was there, they weren't a great defense. Or even "scary". They were an opportunistic defense, for the most part. Now their defense, well, stinks. Ryan will certainly have his hands full.

I just don't understand where the OP is coming from. They will win the South easily?..I just don't see it. As I stated earlier, that division could likely end up being the toughest in the league next year. Atlanta had homefield throughout the playoffs this year. Tampa could very well improve in Schiano's second season. Carolina, as much as I loathe them, could compete for the playoffs. Even with Payton back, there will be no gimmes, just in division play. And I don't know the rest of their schedule, but I can't imagine they will win anymore than 10 or 11 games this year.

The only thing scary about Rob Ryan would be using his name and thong in the same sentence.
I didn't say Rob Ryan is scary, I said the Saints could be scary next season. And, honestly, I would take fat ass Ryan over Spags any day. When Spags made his mark, he had a top notch defense personnel to work with. He has shown what he can do with only moderate or mediocre players.

I didn't say Rob Ryan is scary, I said the Saints could be scary next season. And, honestly, I would take fat ass Ryan over Spags any day. When Spags made his mark, he had a top notch defense personnel to work with. He has shown what he can do with only moderate or mediocre players.

And what exactly has Ryan done? In over ten years, he coached a scoring defense in the top half of the league exactly once.

And what exactly has Ryan done? In over ten years, he coached a scoring defense in the top half of the league exactly once.
Ryan has never had a unit with as much drive and talent as Spags did in NY. Again, I'm not saying that Ryan is going to make the defense scary, but I guarentee they will improve with him this season. Having their HC back and pissed off, along with Drew Brees, will make them scary next season.

Ryan has never had a unit with as much drive and talent as Spags did in NY. Again, I'm not saying that Ryan is going to make the defense scary, but I guarentee they will improve with him this season. Having their HC back and pissed off, along with Drew Brees, will make them scary next season.

Of course they're going to improve. They were dead last in just about everything. When you're rock bottom the only way you can go is up. That doesn't make Ryan a good DC.

Of course they're going to improve. They were dead last in just about everything. When you're rock bottom the only way you can go is up. That doesn't make Ryan a good DC.

Again, please find one post where I claimed he was good. He is better than Spags, but that still doesn't mean much.

So in a thread about Rob Ryan, you're saying the Saints will be good because of their offense. :whoknows:

Hitman, you're better than this. It is pretty clear what I'm saying: Ryan is a better coordinator than Spags. He is the perfect jerk to come in and motivate a defense that is already pissed off at the world. On top of that, the team is getting their head coach back next year, who now has to have a pissed off agenda (think Belichick after Spy-gate) with a Drew Brees, whom is still Brees the player, but also pissed at the world and feels that he and the team have something to prove after this season (think Brady after Spy-gate). Hence my original post where I said that the Saints could be scary next season.

Hitman, you're better than this. It is pretty clear what I'm saying: Ryan is a better coordinator than Spags. He is the perfect jerk to come in and motivate a defense that is already pissed off at the world. On top of that, the team is getting their head coach back next year, who now has to have a pissed off agenda (think Belichick after Spy-gate) with a Drew Brees, whom is still Brees the player, but also pissed at the world and feels that he and the team have something to prove after this season (think Brady after Spy-gate). Hence my original post where I said that the Saints could be scary next season.

It's questionable that Ryan is better than Spags though.

He's been given plenty of opportunities, with pretty good personnel. He's always underperformed. Spags at least won a Super Bowl. Ryan is living off his father and brother's names.

Archived