Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shopping list for next year

The Trashman

We need a whole new secondary. I don't want to see Williams next year and I think we should keep Doughty for special teams. Don't know if Hall and Wilson stay, but we need to upgrade that corner spot. We need a dominate player on the D-line too. Rak and Kerrigan are LBs, but the guys inside almost never get any pass rush. I still feel like we have a lot of holes. Free agency should be interesting...when does it start? March?

This is the biggest load of crap.... Doughty was terrible for years.... this year... He played well! He played in every game with a substantial role, and didn't make mistakes..... He isn't exceptional, but he played damn well. This isn't the Reed of old, and people need to stop automatically assuming Reed's a dud if he's in. He was rock-solid.

He has definitely stepped up, and I while he won't be a starter next year, he's definitely earned a roster spot. I wouldn't mind him being the #2 SS, though I have to admit, I'm a tad worried his play down the stretch has been a fluke and that he'll revert to the Doughty of old, in which case I'd prefer he be the #3 SS.

1. Synthetic field

2. New medical staff (not because of RG3, but because of this list: )

Jammal Brown Physically Unable to Perform hip is on the Physically-Unable-to-Perform List

Domonique Johnson Injured Reserve knee is on injured reserve

Adam Carriker Injured Reserve quadricep is on injured reserve

Chris Neild Injured Reserve knee is on injured reserve

Dorson Boyce Injured Reserve undisclosed is on injured reserve

Brian Orakpo Injured Reserve pectoral is on injured reserve

Chase Minnifield Injured Reserve knee is on injured reserve

Keenan Robinson Injured Reserve pectoral is on injured reserve

Fred Davis Injured Reserve Achilles is on injured reserve

Roy Helu Injured Reserve foot/Achilles is on injured reserve

Jordan Bernstine Injured Reserve knee is on injured reserve

Tristan Davis Injured Reserve knee is on injured reserve

Brandon Meriweather Injured Reserve knee is on injured reserve

Darius Hanks Injured Reserve shoulder is on injured reserve

Kentwan Balmer Out personal will miss the entire season

3. A new defensive backfield.

That injured reserve list is crazy. We must have the most in the NFL.

Here is who I think is a roster lock for next year:

QB: RGIII & Cousins

It will be interesting to see if we go with 2 or 3 QB's next year. My guess is 2 and that if we do go with 3 we'll take the same approach we did this year and try to sign Grossman to another 1 year deal with a possible late draft pick or undrafted guy on the PS. Not a lot to look at here.

RB: Morris & Helu Jr.

Nothing needs to be said about Morris. Helu has been a health concern but when he is healthy he is extremely fast and plays with a lot of heart. It's not too long ago we were all excited about his future because he looked great. People seem to have forgotten about him but he is a perfect 3rd down/change of pace back for our offense with great hands out of the backfield and great speed. He can make people miss and run them over too. Certainly a more natural and bigger threat at 3rd down then Royster has been.

FB: Young

Not really much needed to say here. Teams don't typically carry two FB's and Darrel has been great for us.

TE: Davis, Paulsen & Paul

Davis should come at a much lower number next year given his injury. Unfortunate for him but hopefully he's been working to come back and we re-sign him. He could be another huge threat in our offense that we lacked this year. I think Paulsen showed very well this year. He's not a starter but he's a hard worker according to Shanahan and "does everything the right way." Shanahan was very complimentary of his work ethic and he's a good #2. Paul is a Special Teams stud and that's more than enough for your #3 TE. Shanahan loved using him often as a blocker even when Davis was healthy. I don't see him going anywhere. Even if he was purely a ST's guy, he's worth the small contract because he's damn good on special teams.

WR: Garcon, Morgan, Robinson & Hankerson

I think these are the obvious locks. I'm extremely partial to Moss - I love him and I think he can still play and am hoping he is on our roster next year. I'm betting he makes it because he is not done in this league. That being said, I don't think he is an absolute LOCK to make the roster and I think these 4 are. I don't think our receiver corps needs much, if any work next year if we bring back Moss. We have other holes and not a lot of money/draft picks to be spending them on a pretty deep group.

OL: Williams, Lichtensteiger, Montgomery, Chester, LeRibeus, Gettis, Hurt & Compton

No real surprises here. I'd like to have Polumbus back as depth but I'm betting we look hard in the draft or FA to replace him, or even look to move Hurt or Compton in to his place if they're ready. That being said, Polumbus is still relatively young. I think we're all hoping one of the younger guys really makes a leap next year or we get a stud RT in the offseason. Fact is same as above - not a ton of monetary resources and high draft picks. We may bring back the same O-line - there are worse things that could happen.

DL: Bowen, Cofield, Jenkins & Carriker

These guys are all obvious locks. Don't see Carriker using his buy-out clause in his contract since this is a team that can compete for a championship and after a 1 game season, he probably feels he needs to come back to eventually earn a better contract whether it's here or elsewhere. Will be interesting to see if we bring back Golston. I think he is a corp guy who works his ass off and I'd be glad to see him back but he's certainly not a lock. Other interesting guys include Chris Neild (who I hope comes back healthy and makes the roster), Worthington and Baker.

LB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, Fletcher, Riley & Robinson

Again, these are the locks, imo. I'm really hoping we re-sign Jackson and I was very impressed with how Robinson played this year both on defense and special teams. Lorenzo Alexander is a guy we cannot afford to let go. He needs to be re-signed but that could actually prove to be a difficult task. He played well on defense this year and was a Pro-Bowler on special teams. As he gets a little older he may be asking for some decent money - not a ton, but it could be difficult for us unless we do some real work on others' contracts.

CB: Wilson & Crawford

I'd love to bring back Hall and Griffin given how they played this year. But Griffin is a FA and Hall's contract is either going to be redone or he'll be cut. I know Hall loves it here and I'd be surprised if he didn't rework his deal and stay. Griffin played well and I'd like him back. Minnifield will be a very interesting story. Would love to see him fully healthy but that may never happen.

S: Meriweather

The only lock and our only worthy starter at safety. Obviously there will be at least one, if not two guys back from this year's group because of our limited resources. My guess is Doughty, but it could be Gomes if he really makes a good jump next year in camp. Perhaps both depending on how we address the situation in the offseason. I'm hoping Meriweather can come back healthy because he can be a difference maker for us. Jackson is interesting but I think his situation has been well-documented and even if he is retained I think the team will have to go forward treating it as if he won't be back given the situation.

So in order:

1) We need a starting caliber FS. Bad. Doughty or Gomes are decent in the box guys so they are serviceable as depth at SS and I'm praying Meriweather is healthy. But we simply cannot afford another season with a guy like Williams back there. It would be our best case scenario if Buffalo did not franchise Byrd because he's young and a stud. Kenny Phillips could be another option although given how this year turned out I'd be terrified that he'd get hurt again. There are options in the draft such as Rambo or perhaps Mathieu if he fell to the second round, among others. This draft is pretty deep at safety and we need to make a move at FS more than any other position imo.

2) CB: Shanahan has done a great job getting secondary players late in the draft that are good depth, i.e. Crawford & Gomes plus pickups like DJ Johnson. We need more than depth though and we could really use a good young corner. If we addressed FS adequately, I think Hall (restructured), Wilson and Griffin would certainly look much better next year with a healthy Meriweather + FS. Enough so that I would be comfortable with it. But CB is something we definitely need to look into this offseason because while we have some good young depth guys, we have no starting caliber players as Hall/Wilson/Griffin pass through their primes.

3) RT - it was no huge mystery that Polumbus was the weakest link on our offensive line. That being said, we still had the #1 rushing attack in the NFL and RG3, when healthy, was not overly hampered by Polumbus' poor pass blocking. It's not as if having Polumbus/Compton/Hurt as our starting RT would doom us next year, but this is certainly a position we could use an upgrade at and it would make us that much more deadly on offense.

Notes: I'm not nearly as worried about ILB as many on here seem to be. Riley is only going to get better and is already pretty good. Robinson looked very good this year and hopefully can come back healthy next year. Fletcher should certainly be back and I think Robinson/Riley have bright futures. Orakpo is the biggest question mark due to his health and I think that makes it an even bigger priority to re-sign Jackson as far as the OLB position group. Lorenzo can play anywhere and may be as big a re-signing as Jackson, perhaps even bigger.

Above were my three biggest keys but obviously there is a lot more that we can address in the draft than just those. I would not be surprised to see Shanny grab his usual OL and RB's late in the draft. I'm excited to see what LeRibeus, Gettis and Compton bring to the table. LeRibeus has looked promising the last two weeks.

John Mara is laughing at the notion of the Redskins having a 'shopping list.'

We do sorely need a NT; 3 if not 4 pieces to the defensive backfield; replacement for Fletcher; and O-line upgrades in 2 if not 3 spots, as well as they've played above themselves. And that's just the starters. That all isn't happening by any stretch this next off-season, and is why I still have us a year away from being consistent challengers.

Hail.

Here's a crazy idea. How about trading up? We have a 2nd and 2 third round picks. Package them and get back into the first round and get real defensive talent.

Doesn't sound crazy at all to me man.

I'd rather do that and take one top level starter whilst we're handicapped than muddle through bringing in sub-standard FA's or adding depth players just because.

Hail.

*Edit* 'Cept we can't afford to package all three. The second and a third at best.

Fun fact: both RGIII injuries were on scrambles made necessary by Polumbus getting beat.

Also I never want to hear "trade down" ever again. Trading down got us Hankerson and Helu instead of J.J Watt.

UMMM is that suppose to be a bad thing? LMFAO this fanbase is funny! Helu has 4.3 speed and vision... the best thing you can wish for in order for RH to be a bust is injuries..LOL Hank will be just fine too he will be a good number 3 and a hell of a a number 4 wr in one of the best offenses in the NFL so say how do I know this because we already are thst this season

Generally speaking, keep doing what we've been doing the past few off seasons:

1) trade down and focus on mining value from mid and late-round picks. That's where depth is built, and depth is what carries a team through the December games and into the playoffs.

2) avoid high-priced free agents, but if an up-and-comer is available (Garcon, for example) move quickly and sign him.

3) have our coaching staff attend the offseason college all-star games (North-South, etc.) like last year, so that they can better assess the incoming draft class.

4) trim salary cap space and cut expensive veterans, even if hurts (like we did with Cooley, Portis, etc.) We're still in rebuilding/youth movement mode, and we shouldn't lose sight of it.

In terms of specific positions, we should focus on safety, cornerback, and pass-rushers. With smaller-sized offensive linemen needed for the ZBS, find value with another mid-round o-line pick.

I'm happy with him as last man on the depth chart. He does give his best, but he shouldn't be in a starting or major role. Ever. And it always seems he is.

Doughty showed me heart in the truest moments. When we said Super Bowl RD must have put on ST21 film and got inspriation or somthing but the boy was out there balling. Him and Paulsen have hearts, and players like that are hard to come by. Now are they the most talented players no, but give me less talent with heart, then talent with no heart when things get real. I was once Reeds biggest critic,but now I must say he showed me he has the heart that champions have. Him, One man gang, LP, DY, all belong on this team they have earned it with there hearts. Hail

If Orakpo is healthy, there is no need to waste money on a pass rusher. Rebuilding the secondary is vital to this team.

No question, but we equally need a dominating 34 NT to really elevate this D. And a quality replacement for Fletcher. There's too many pieces, with too few top end draft picks and the continued cap B/S to allow us to fix this, this coming Spring.

Hail.

There's too many pieces, with too few top end draft picks and the continued cap B/S to allow us to fix this, this coming Spring.

Which is why BPA is the best idea for us. Trade up and get some playmakers on both sides of the ball rather than attempt to fill up a thimble's worth of holes with a modest budget. A couple of studs will help everyone around them play better.

Which is why BPA is the best idea for us. Trade up and get some playmakers on both sides of the ball rather than attempt to fill up a thimble's work of holes with a modest budget. A couple of studs will help everyone around them play better.

I'm with you man. As I replied to someone above, I'd rather get at least one top bracket long term starter, than a whole bunch of quality to mediocre depth players. 2014 we'll have a full draft in terms of a first and be back on track with the cap to really attack our holes. This coming year, we need to do the best we can at quality starter level even if it means we don't make many moves.

Hail.

First pick, Free Safety. With Merriweather (God willing he comes back healthy and can stay healthy) he will be an amazing SS. Keep Doughty, great run stopper and blitzer.

Second pick, Corner. Need as good as you can get in a solid corner with some size...look for a Sherman type in the draft. Josh Wilson is undersized and just average.

Third pick: Right Tackle...should be able to pick up a good RT on free agency, or trade for Long and turn him into a RT. Polumbus did show signs of improvement.

Fourth pick: Another corner. Best available.

Fifth pick: Big bodied WR posession receiver that is not afraid to go over the middle or jump in corner of endzone.

Other than RT and a big bodied possession WR, we are set on O. We have an improving O line, gelling with each other. The longer they stay together the more effective they are. The most exciting QB in the NFL, top 3 RB, good solid back up RBs (when healthy, don't forget what Royster and Helu did as rookies), stud TE in Davis, Garcon is a game changer, Moss came through in the slot, and burners on the outside with Robinson and Briscoe. Morgan is solid, Hankerson, the jury is still out. Focus on the D....we will be getting Orakpo back which means that we will have a much better pass rush next year, and Jackson, Riley and Fletcher (along with Keenan Robinson) make up a great group of LBs..the Secondary is our weakest link and are only effective when we rush 3 or 4....

I would open up a spot for a LONG kicker as well...It may seem crazy, but as good as Forbath is on FGs he cannot kick it deep giving the other team a chance for returns...also Plus 52 yards, he doesn't have a chance. I seriously would bring back Gano just for kick offs and long FG attempts..dude made a 60 yarder and boots it out of the endzone every time. To me, this is worth a spot every Sunday.

We need an explosive third down back with speed. That is the only thing we were missing on offense. This person also needs to be able to return kicks and punt's as well. We were severely lacking in this department. Draft a guy or look into Harvin or Bush. Probably too expensive. In the option Robert also needs an outside threat. That and an upgrade at right tackle.

Archived