Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shopping list for next year

The Trashman

5. Defensive backfield needs major help. Need overhaul at CB. A safety or two is sorely needed.

Is this Casey Casem? Cause I swear this song should've been number one. A pass rush wouldn't hurt. I know we get Rak back, but Kerrigan was very dissapointing this year. We may need to get someone to challenge him.

I think we are fine at WR. Maybe a size guy if he can be had for cheap.

Also, remember who we have on IR. There is a lot of talent there.

Our biggest need is undebatable. Absolutely undebatable. We need an upgrade at RIGHT TACKLE!!! Right Tackle has to be our top priority, no question.

Outside of Right Tackle we need upgrades at CB and TE. If Fletcher retires, then MLB will jump up the list, too.

Our upgrade at safety may already be on the roster (Merriweather & Jackson). We may also have an upgrade at CB depth, too (Minnifield).

Honestly people will scream build depth, trade down! Screw that, we are at a time as a Franchise where we need to take the next step or stay stuck as a borderline playoff team. When I say take the next step I'm advocating doing anything BUT trading down, we have built good depth over the past few drafts and we need to get playmakers on both sides of the ball.

1. I think the most obvious need is a ballhawk FS. If we roll out Madieu Williams one more time, I may cry. There is no reason why he should be starting on a professional football team let alone a 10-6 football team with dreams as a contender. I'd love to see Jarius Byrd here, but I believe Buffalo will most likely give him the franchise tag. Our first pick in the draft must address this glaring issue.

2. A home-run, playmaking WR/RB. This is where I think I differ from most others opinions on our teams needs. If this Seattle game taught us anything was that we need players on offense who are able to create, and step up for others when they are not playing their best (mainly RG3). We have an absolute STUD at QB a warrior, and this team is fully behind this guy. I personally believe he will be fine come next season, so lets get some more weapons for our guy and reap the benefits. There are a number of solid FA WR's this off-season, and while the majority will probably be locked up, I believe there will be at least one or 2 studs to make the FA market. I'm not a cap expert however, so I'm not certain what our team's cap situation is looking like this off-season.

Regardless of everything that I said, people need to stop acting like this is the end of the world. Our future is INCREDIBLY bright. Let's keep our core around, both on the field and in the coaching staff. This off-season is critical to our team's development, especially RG3's further development as a Pocket Passer. Fred Davis will help out big time (if he can come back healthy), but one more playmaker on offense will take this team to the next level. HTTR

Here's a crazy idea. How about trading up? We have a 2nd and 2 third round picks. Package them and get back into the first round and get real defensive talent.

Except one problem. We DON'T have two third round picks. We have:

2, 3, 4 ,5, 5, 6 and 7

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

Our "shopping list" will once again be hamstrung by that $18MM cap hit for exceeding the cap in an uncapped year (someone is still going to have to explain that one to me).

Yes and no. Yes, if we go out and sign a guy, he won't be able to get alot of money for the first year. But we will be free of the cap penalties in year 2, 3, 4 etc. of any deal. And I'm not worried about having to backload deals as Bruce Allen is a guru with the cap.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 12:29 PM ----------

We need an explosive third down back with speed. That is the only thing we were missing on offense. This person also needs to be able to return kicks and punt's as well. We were severely lacking in this department. Draft a guy or look into Harvin or Bush. Probably too expensive. In the option Robert also needs an outside threat. That and an upgrade at right tackle.

Well, Helu!!!!

1. FS (Byrd or Goldson if we can work enough cap room; draft Reid or Vaccarro if still there)

2. RT (Andre Smith if we have cap room, also draft a developmental guy)

3. ILB (draft)

4. CB (perhaps we can get Talib for cheap?; but definitely draft someone also)

5. Speed RB

Defensive front wasn't the issue this year. With as well as Jackson played this year, we could probably get something for him and try to get back into the first round or get an additional second rounder. I also like the idea of having a speedy RB similar to McCoy as a change of pace guy for Morris.

I know money is a driving factor for most free agents, but we did win the division and made the playoffs in Griffin/Morris's first years. That could entice a few free agents to come here over other teams that might outbid us.

Still think we need a BIG NT. Barry is good but for this D to take the next step we need someone better.

I've been saying this all year. Barry would be a baller at DE if we can get a space eating NT.

Dezmon Briscoe is our biggest WR but after a v.good pre-season, he just flat out disappeared. Hankerson is just too inconsistent and lazy to start on this team. Snyder needs to dig a little deeper into his pockets and get a quality WR who has the potential to catch 50-80 balls/year. I love Garcon but he seems to be a little brittle for me. Moss is aged and is on his last legs. Morgan is a possession receiver and has been okay this year. Besides that, I don't see any other people raising their hands. Robinson seems to be a one-trick pony but maybe I am having a knee-jerk reaction to his play so far.

Kind of harsh, don't you think?

Corner's I'd like to target in FA:

Keenan Lewis, 26 years old, led the league in passes defensed. Fits our defense like a glove.

Greg Toler, 28, he could be a slight upgrade to what Cedric Griffin does for us. Played slightly fewer snaps than Griffin yet had 2 ints and 8 passes deflected.

Tony Carter, 26, should not demand as much money as Lewis, but is a young up and comer.

Bradley Fletcher, 26, I could be wrong, but I believe he's a solid nickel corner.

Please stop rubbing salt in my wound !!!!! I live in Houston and he is on tv all the time. Damn, we needed a guy like that. But yea, we need supporting cast for Garcon cause Cankerson and company are not the answer. Moss had some big plays, love that dude, one of the few who came to play in our wr corps.

Seems like trading down never works out. Look at Cleveland, they got Brandon Weeden and I dont even remember the other player instead of Julio Jones.

Also, to the guy who said "Sad we have so many holes in year 4 of Shanny"

Say what?

So many holes?!

Where?

Honestly, our defense is all injured, Orakpo, Carriker, Merriweather, Jackson(suspended), and the only GLARING hole we have is at CB, and we really only need 1. Hall played lights out this year, and Wilson is serviceable.

On offense, we need a RT for sure, and everyone loves a big WR, but Garcon is good, but what we really need is a RT and a Guard.

We have very few holes man.

Did you see (during a commercial come-back) where they showed the presser of Albert saying what's in your sig? Thought hubby was gonna have a full meltdown...couldn't get over his humility.

I made my mom (sweet little lady, and just about the kindest woman on the planet) watch both the RG3 and Alfred Morris pressers after the Cowboys game (and many previous RG3 pressers). She has started asking after games how Alfred and RG3 did. She loves them. It's funny to hear her speak so highly of them both, because outside of their character she couldn't give two diddlys about football. I told her all about Alfred's car too. She loves that he doesn't care about material things.

It's guys like Alfred and RG3 that help remind me that there are still good people/people that are being raised right.

1. FS (Byrd or Goldson if we can work enough cap room; draft Reid or Vaccarro if still there)

2. RT (Andre Smith if we have cap room, also draft a developmental guy)

3. ILB (draft)

4. CB (perhaps we can get Talib for cheap?; but definitely draft someone also)

5. Speed RB

Totally agree with this! I would add a tall WR if we can find one to be a second to Garcon.

Guys, we don't play FA like it's Madden anymore, nor should we.

We will probably only go after a couple FAs, probably not big names unless they fit our system well.

If we went after 1 I think we'd go after Jarius Byrd, but he's likely to get a huge contract or franchised.

We are definitely going to cut Hall, Jamaal Brown, and probably try to renegotiate with Moss and Fletcher to get our cap numbers down.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we re-signed Hall at a reduced price, and then maybe tried to get a #2 CB or something, and target one of the lesser S in FA and draft some CB/S/OL/LB.

We need to start with the DB's and Safetys. Don't do much good to run up 14 points when the other team has 24.

Then we need to look out for some good big WR's to help RG3. I would still keep Garcon and Moss but I would use moss like New England

uses Welker. There should be some good players on free agency this year. However, you covered most of oour ne

Archived