Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Props to NBC for the High Camera Angles for Skins/Boys!

E33Green

Upon watching the replay of the game I was impressed with the numerous high camera angles that NBC utilized, such as this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/files/2012/12/skinsboys1212b.jpg

I think it gives a million times better perspective and understanding of the game than you get from the standard view zoomed in in the QB. You get to see how the defenses line up and how the play develops down the field. Plus, there should be no complaints about hands from fans blocking the action during big plays like there are from the standard camera angle.

It is the closest thing to actually being there that I have seen besides the "All-22" gamefilm. Here's to hoping the other networks follow suit!

:logo:

Yea I liked it too. It did take a few plays to get used to though for me.

The main reason I enjoyed it though is on our big plays/TDs there were no arms/hands blocking the camera's view of the field. That's been annoying for so many years at home.

I wasn't a fan of it. I felt like I was watching from the blimp. The only positive is that it did prevent the hands of fans blocking plays.

Does that only happen at FedEx Field. I have seen so many hands on the screen during our home games. The one I remember the most is the Brunell to Moss OT win against the Jaguars in 2006. It seemed like hands were blocking the view every time we scored.

i loved it, and hope it's a growing trend.

i wonder if peoples opinion is tied to the size/quality of their television. i would assume those of us with large sets are happier seeing more of the field, and those with smaller sets or watching from a bar would prefer tighter shots.

Does that only happen at FedEx Field. I have seen so many hands on the screen during our home games. The one I remember the most is the Brunell to Moss OT win against the Jaguars in 2006. It seemed like hands were blocking the view every time we scored.

I have seen it happen on other team's home broadcasts but unfortunately can't point you to a specific example. It just seems like it only happens at Skins games because we watch so many of them. :)

The problem started when Snyder installed a extra club seats in front of the TV broadcast cameras, perhaps Mark or S&S can tell us the exact year. When those fans reach their hands into the air during big plays, they become visible on the TV screen. If you don't like it I have bad news: it is going to be the norm for the next 20-30 years because Snyder isn't taking out those seats and they cannot raise the standard game cameras.

I actually don't mind it, kind of creates a feeling like you are in the stadium with fans jumping up and down and screaming in front of you during a big play.

i loved it, and hope it's a growing trend.

i wonder if peoples opinion is tied to the size/quality of their television. i would assume those of us with large sets are happier seeing more of the field, and those with smaller sets or watching from a bar would prefer tighter shots.

I wasn't a fan of it and I have a 42" tv. Of course, nowadays, that may be considered small. :)

I have seen it happen on other team's home broadcasts but unfortunately can't point you to a specific example. It just seems like it only happens at Skins games because we watch so many of them. :)

The problem started when Snyder installed a extra club seats in front of the TV broadcast cameras, perhaps Mark or S&S can tell us the exact year. When those fans reach their hands into the air during big plays, they become visible on the TV screen. If you don't like it I have bad news: it is going to be the norm for the next 20-30 years because Snyder isn't taking out those seats and they cannot raise the standard game cameras.

I actually don't mind it, kind of creates a feeling like you are in the stadium with fans jumping up and down and screaming in front of you during a big play.

For some strange reason, I like it. I guess it's because when I see the hands go up, it's usually because something good is happening.

Funny, until this thread, I hadn't even noticed the different camera angle. Got to say I like it, though. There is nothing worse than a great play that gets missed on TV because the camera-man gets faked out by the QB. With the high angle shot, there is less of a chance this happens. Because we all know RGIII is Cresca the Magician with the football, and the only ones he needs to fake out, are the opposing D.

Hail

High camera angles aren't a new thing. Maybe at FedEx, yeah. But we watch away games and college games with camera angles way worse than on Sunday. Most of the time we don't even notice it.

Ever watch a Maryland game or Ohio State game on TV? High angles. Remember the Cleveland game? High angle. It's all about stadium construction and what you've got to work with.

As a former sportscaster, I can tell you that the visual story telling of a football game is in the hands of the director. Among the many cameras at a game, the director has a high angle camera-it's a great CYA shot! But on the NBC Skins-Cowboys telecast it was used more than I've ever seen it used. One reason may be due to the ball trickery of RGIII. A lot of mid level camera operators were fooled this season and missed the ball carrier. Some of you may recall that NBC was the network that in the early 80's broadcasted a game without announcers-just natural sound. It wasn't mixed well and failed as an experiment. Would love to hear it now with today's technology. With each playoff game the story telling will get more compelling. Take note of CBS - they tend to use more extreme close ups during the 4th quarter and less talking and more nat sound.

Archived