Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wild Card Scenarios

TD_washingtonredskins

I know that everyone is understandably focused on the bigger prize and more direct path to the post season. But I've been thinking about the two NFC North games coming up and I think I've convinced myself that we will have clinched a playoff berth prior to taking the field on Sunday.

Green Bay still has a shot at a bye and looked unreal last week. I think they do enough to beat the Vikings. In addition, I think that Chicago is still vulnerable and I could see the Lions scoring enough to knock them off.

I know we all want the East and to earn our way in, but this game is driving me insane and scaring me. In the end, I'm just not ready for our season to end...I'm having too much fun. I also have the strange feeling that if we have the pressure take off, we will blow the Cowboys out of the building...

If this is too similar to other threads, I apologize but I was looking to discuss some opinions of how these two games might go since it directly impacts us.

I feel the same way. For purely selfish reasons I want to clinch the WC during the day because then I will really ENJOY watching the game. If we don't clinch during the afternoon I'm going to be an absolute nervous wreck akin to the "Can you eat during Redskins games?" thread.

I live in NFC North country, so it's awfully interesting to me that there's a small probability our fate might be in the Bears/Vikings hand.

The potential of the bye is HUGE for Green Bay so I don't see them pulling punches and I think they'll beat Minnesota (and since SF isn't looking as dominating lately, the Pack might end up hosting the NFC Championship because of that too).

The Lions are straight-up terrible though, and I don't see them beating a fading Bears team. I hope they surprise me, but I don't see it happening. If it was going to happen, Arizona would've done it last week.

Luckily we'll know all this before we kick off on Sunday, but even if we didn't, the home playoff game is too valuable. It's really hard to make a run as a wild-card team.

I feel the same way. For purely selfish reasons I want to clinch the WC during the day because then I will really ENJOY watching the game. If we don't clinch during the afternoon I'm going to be an absolute nervous wreck akin to the "Can you eat during Redskins games?" thread.

Yep...this week is already dragging as it is! No doubt, if we win I will look back and be happy that it was do or die. The problem is that I'm not sure I'll make it through the 3-4 hours if it IS do or die. :ols:

I also have the strange feeling that if we have the pressure take off, we will blow the Cowboys out of the building.

Regardless of what happens earlier in the day, the pressure will be ON the Cowboys, which is the reason they are going to get blown out on Sunday.

I'd like to see Detroit beat Chicago in the 1 pm game so that the suspense continues into the 4:30 GB-Minnesota game. I plan on having dinner somewhere in the Capitol Hill area around that time, maybe catch the first half, then head over to the stadium and zoom up to the club level for the second half.

Luckily we'll know all this before we kick off on Sunday, but even if we didn't, the home playoff game is too valuable. It's really hard to make a run as a wild-card team.

I'm not suggesting that backing in is enough, but I also think we can beat anyone any week so just getting into the post season would be nice. It would also, for me, be the cherry on top of the season to make the playoffs. What a building block!

Believe me, I want the division so badly. I can still remember the SF game in 1999 and can't believe we have floundered around for 13 seasons since then. But, winning 7 in a row is tough to do and I would just like to see this team rewarded for what they've accomplished this season.

I was wondering, how do the Cowboys hold the tiebreaker over the Redskins if they win Sunday? We'd have the same record, division record, and series record, and hold an edge in conference record.

The 'common opponents' tiebreaker comes before the 'conference record' tiebreaker. Basically it'd come down to how we fared against the NFC South and AFC North. We're 4-4, and they are 5-3.

I was wondering, how do the Cowboys hold the tiebreaker over the Redskins if they win Sunday? We'd have the same record, division record, and series record, and hold an edge in conference record.

Big misconception.....common opponents come before conference record in tiebreakers.

I know that everyone is understandably focused on the bigger prize and more direct path to the post season. But I've been thinking about the two NFC North games coming up and I think I've convinced myself that we will have clinched a playoff berth prior to taking the field on Sunday.

Green Bay still has a shot at a bye and looked unreal last week. I think they do enough to beat the Vikings. In addition, I think that Chicago is still vulnerable and I could see the Lions scoring enough to knock them off.

I know we all want the East and to earn our way in, but this game is driving me insane and scaring me. In the end, I'm just not ready for our season to end...I'm having too much fun. I also have the strange feeling that if we have the pressure take off, we will blow the Cowboys out of the building...

If this is too similar to other threads, I apologize but I was looking to discuss some opinions of how these two games might go since it directly impacts us.

I aint convinced of nothing. I dont trust Greenbay or Detroit to give us any favors. And besides, I want to win the division.

So if we do back into the playoffs by the wildcard, who would we face first round?

Either San Francisco or Seattle would be the 5 seed, so the other WC team will be the 6 seed (that's us in this scenario).

We'd face the 3 seed, which would be the NFC West winner. (Green Bay could also potentially end up the 3 seed but in the scenario where we are a wild card, Green Bay has to beat Minnesota and would lock up the 2 seed that way).

So if we do back into the playoffs by the wildcard, who would we face first round?

I guess whoever loses the bye between SF and GB.

---------- Post added December-27th-2012 at 10:26 PM ----------

Big misconception.....common opponents come before conference record in tiebreakers.

It sucks...who would have thought that the third vs. fourth tie breaker would play such a role? If those two tie breakers were reversed, we would celebrated the East once the refs threw the flag for grounding last week.

I totally agree TD, and I think the Redskins will throttle the Cowboys Sunday Night. If the Vikings and Bears do lose, and the Redskins win the NFC East, the Damn NY Giants get the 6th seed if they beat Philly.

As far as who we play 1st will depend on who wins the NFC West. The loser of that division will come here to open the Playoffs, which will be Seattle of course. The 49ers will beat the sorry Cardinals at home and Seattle is going to throttle the Rams by 30 points in Seattle.

me too man...I do almost anything for the Vikes and Bears to lose

Archived