Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there any scenario where the Dallas Skins game has NO playoff implications?

ggarriso

I noticed that, thanks for all your hard work Brandy.

Whats up with the saints? Did they beat TB today? I was blurring in an out of different games this afternoon so can't remember exactly, but lets just hope the same 'aints team from last week against the giants doens't show up next week to dallass. Much as i hate to say it, cowboys are simply finding ways to win football games attm.

No problem, and thank you! And I'm right there with you on the Saints. I hope like heck they pull out a win next week, but I'm hoping more that we just win out. Then there won't be an issue lol

We can loose next week and still win the division as long as we win the last game, and if NY looses one of their last two. Basically, next week is not that important, Dallas week, at the end, is HUGE!

next week is NOT that important??? That is totally false.

I mean losing would require the Giants to have to lose to the slumping Ravens or the not so good Eagles. That doesn't seem ideal.

I've been thinking before bedtime about something.

say we win next week, the cowboys lose, we're 9-6 (4-1), they're 8-7 (3-2)

If, God forbid, they beat us week 17, we're both 9-7 (4-2 division). What would be the next tiebreaker? NFC record (favours us 7-5 vs 6-6)?

With this scenario, we still might be able to clinch the division and drop a game to them, provided they lose to the Saints next week. Of course, that assumes the Giants drop another one or two.

So win out and we're in or

9-7 + 1 Giants and Bears loss?

It is not that simple, it depends on HOW we got to 9-7.

If we beat the eagles, but loose to the cowboys, then we need the Vikings, Bears, and Giants to miss at least one of their final two games, then we are in.

If we loose to the Eagles, but Beat the cowboys, then we are in, unless the Giants win both of their final games AND in addition to that, if any one of the following teams wins their final two games with the giants (Vikings, Bears)

Did you see the Giants today? They get rolled next week.

yeah, true. but, i mean they're such a week-to-week team. they lost to the bengals, CREAMED the packers, lost to us, KILLED the saints and then lost today. the ravens in my opinion havent done enough the past 3 or 4 games to show that they can beat the giants. nobody knows which giants team is going to show up next week, the team that failed to beat the bengals, us, and falcons, or the team that absolutely killed the packers and saints. plus the ravens clinched the afc north today with the steelers losing so they could sit their players for 2 weeks to get healthy for a superbowl run. i'll stil be cheering loudly for the ravens, but i see it going either way.

I'm tired of hearing people say "if we don't take care of our own business," we don't deserve playoffs." In today's NFL, that's bogus. How you make the playoffs doesn't matter; getting in is the only thing that matters nowadays. In today's NFL, once the playoffs start, ANYTHING can happen. Go Bmore, Houston, & Arizona next week.

That said, I hope we cream the birds & boys! :evilg:

---------- Post added December-16th-2012 at 11:33 PM ----------

yeah, true. but, i mean they're such a week-to-week team. they lost to the bengals, CREAMED the packers, lost to us, KILLED the saints and then lost today. the ravens in my opinion havent done enough the past 3 or 4 games to show that they can beat the giants. nobody knows which giants team is going to show up next week, the team that failed to beat the bengals, us, and falcons, or the team that absolutely killed the packers and saints. plus the ravens clinched the afc north today with the steelers losing so they could sit their players for 2 weeks to get healthy for a superbowl run. i'll stil be cheering loudly for the ravens, but i see it going either way.
Minor correction: Bmore clinched a playoff berth today, not the division.

next week is NOT that important??? That is totally false.

I mean losing would require the Giants to have to lose to the slumping Ravens or the not so good Eagles. That doesn't seem ideal.

If we lose to the eagles, and then beat the cowboys, the only way that we miss the playoffs is if the giants win BOTH of their next games. And even if they do that, we can still make the playoffs, as long as the Vikings or the Bears don't win out, as well as the Giants.

If we were to assume that every game has a 50% change of going either way, and we assume the the redskins lose against Philly, and win against Dallas, we have a 89% chance of making the playoffs.

So yes, I think the Philly game is not that important, true, there are scenarios where loosing that game could boot us from the playoffs, but not many.

The ESPN playoff machine is wrong.

IF:

(1) Redskins win vs. Philly but LOSE TO DALLAS

(2) Dallas loses to Saints but BEATS REDSKINS

(3) Giants LOSE 1 game to Baltimore or Philadelphia

REDSKINS WIN DIVISION. I calculated this myself.

IN this scenario the ESPN playoff machine says DALLAS will win division but again this is FALSE.

What I found out is that the NFL follows this formula:

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

But the ESPN playoff machine skips this step:

Redskins record would be 8-5 and Dallas would be 7-6 in common games. Therefore win the division. There would be a tie between the record + the head to head + the division, so a skip to step 3.

Hail.

The ESPN playoff machine is wrong.

IF:

(1) Redskins win vs. Philly but LOSE TO DALLAS

(2) Dallas loses to Saints but BEATS REDSKINS

(3) Giants LOSE 1 game to Baltimore or Philadelphia

REDSKINS WIN DIVISION. I calculated this myself.

IN this scenario the ESPN playoff machine says DALLAS will win division but again this is FALSE.

What I found out is that the NFL follows this formula:

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.

Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

But the ESPN playoff machine skips this step:

Redskins record would be 8-5 and Dallas would be 7-6 in common games. Therefore win the division. There would be a tie between the record + the head to head + the division, so a skip to step 3.

Hail.

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect as far as common opponents by my calculation. Dallas would be 8-4 and we would be 7-5.

Dallas Wins: Giants, Bucs, Panthers, Eagles, Browns, Eagles, Bengals, Steelers (8)

Losses: Ravens, Giants, Falcons, Saints (4)

Redskins Wins: Saints, Bucs, Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Browns, Eagles (7)

Losses: Bengals, Falcons, Giants, Steelers, Panthers (5)

I'm pretty sure this is incorrect as far as common opponents by my calculation. Dallas would be 8-4 and we would be 7-5.

Dallas Wins: Giants, Bucs, Panthers, Eagles, Browns, Eagles, Bengals, Steelers (8)

Losses: Ravens, Giants, Falcons, Saints (4)

Redskins Wins: Saints, Bucs, Eagles, Giants, Ravens, Browns, Eagles (7)

Losses: Bengals, Falcons, Giants, Steelers, Panthers (5)

Yup.

There is now NO circumstance where we win the NFC East without beating Dallas.

However we can still earn a WC bid with a loss to Dallas at 9-7. One loss each from Giants, Bears, Vikings.

I think it's hilarious that people are even considering a possible loss to the Eagles. The Eagles are the worst team in football. We are not losing to the Eagles.

I think people were saying the same thing about the Browns and then broke out into a cold sweat after the first 3 drives this week.....hahaha. We should beat them, but Foles should be taken seriously.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 12:53 AM ----------

So win out and we're in or

9-7 + 1 Giants and Bears loss?

Win out = in.

OR

9-7 AND Giants, Bears, and Vikings each lose 1 of their next 2.

I predict we blow out both of them, and that's without my burgundy glasses on. Eagles are hopeless at this point, and RGIII will definitely be looking to prove to everyone including himself that he's back, healthy, and ready to take the rest of the games by storm. Eagles have nothing to play for. We do. We're gonna dominate 40-17. Then we light up the Cowboys 52 to 24 in the biggest game of the season. RGIII will put up MVP numbers.

We will be feared.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 02:55 AM ----------

Hahaha yeah before that interception I was about to go into a coma.

I think people were saying the same thing about the Browns and then broke out into a cold sweat after the first 3 drives this week.....hahaha. We should beat them, but Foles should be taken seriously.

---------- Post added December-17th-2012 at 12:53 AM ----------

Win out = in.

OR

9-7 AND Giants, Bears, and Vikings each lose 1 of their next 2.

Yeah, but the Browns have young, hungry players who are still playing hard. The Eagles have quit. Our fans will take over their stadium. I don't see any way we lose that game if RG3 starts.

Yeah, but the Browns have young, hungry players who are still playing hard. The Eagles have quit. Our fans will take over their stadium. I don't see any way we lose that game if RG3 starts.

I wasn't worried about the Browns. I am worried (just a tiny bit) about the Beagles. Man, those divisional games: you just never know, ya dig?

Holding tickets right now - trying to decide if I should sell high and save for a potential playoff appearance - ?? I suppose if we win next week and dallas drops this game and next week and the giants lost to the ravens then we would have it locked up going into week 16?
Sell high?

I think you're confused. You need to go to casualskins.com.

And Technically speaking, there is a scenario where we get in and LOOSE BOTH of our next games, but it would require help from many different games.

We are not going to lose anymore games and will win the division. That being said, I believe we will go no worse than 11-5 next season!!!

Archived