Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cincinnati.Com: Robert Griffin III refuses to be defined by race

brandymac27

Twitter is blowing up with these comments Rob Parker is making on First Take. Anyone catching them? It has to do with race and Griffin

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog

ESPN's Rob Parker on RGIII: "Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother?" Later asks if he's "kind of black" and "not one of us."

This is probably the most ignorant thing I've ever read on Extremeskins ever.

Well, he mentioned Allen West, another military man who doesn't skip to a certain political affiliation (and has a black wife, as far as I can tell by looking.) So I have a sense of the thought process...

As a real brotha from PG county I gotta say that RGIII appears to be of the Uncle Tom Tiger Woods/Allen West kind of black man that knows his place. White wife ect. As a fan of football and the Redskins I could care less. As long as he keeps winning games. He could be the first black member of the KKK for all I care.

NVM...just saw that you said u were joking.

Why can black people be racist like this. This guy is a joke

**** Rob Parker. New Orleans and Texas-raised. Strong, functional, religious black family. A bit of a showboat on the field (but not annoyingly so.)

When did the aggregate dysfunctions of blacks in America begin to mean that it was IMMORAL for black men and women to be something that used to be admired and used to be common?

**** Rob Parker. New Orleans and Texas-raised. Strong, functional, religious black family. A bit of a showboat on the field (but not annoyingly so.)

When did the aggregate dysfunctions of blacks in America begin to mean that it was IMMORAL for black men and women to be something that used to be admired and used to be common?

Well said, Ghost.

I would love to see you say this to Robert's parents, and perhaps the people they served in the military with. This comment and the segment on ESPN are disgraceful. Robert exhibits the kind of qualities I think a lot of people would love to see their children grow up to have, yet he's getting trashed for not fitting a stereotype the correct way. Brilliant.

I was just joking. In all seriousness. I love RGIII and would prefer that he stays a positive role model instead of representing THUG life or the UBER arrogant athlete aka Lebron or Cam Newton. I hope RGIII just continues to stay level headed.

As a real brotha from PG county I gotta say that RGIII appears to be of the Uncle Tom Tiger Woods/Allen West kind of black man that knows his place. White wife ect. As a fan of football and the Redskins I could care less. As long as he keeps winning games. He could be the first black member of the KKK for all I care.

Wow. What an ignorant post. What the hell is a "real brotha from PG county" anyway?

What the poster was trying to communicate drawing comparisons to Tiger Woods is that along with having a White wife he RG3 doesn't have the "swagger" you typically see with some black athletes. That's true. The way he carries himself is very different than a Micheal Vick or Cam Newton who I am sure they would qualify of being a "real brotha". But really who honestly gives a ***** ? If you have kids you would want RG3 to be their role model white black Hispanic Asian Alien. I HATE HATE HATE that if you act dignified, classy, and know how to speak proper English you are considered to be less black and therefore don't get the kind of respect from your own people that you would otherwise. That is mind blowingly aggravating to me as a black male myself

I was just joking. In all seriousness. I love RGIII and would prefer that he stays a positive role model instead of representing THUG life or the UBER arrogant athlete aka Lebron or Cam Newton. I hope RGIII just continues to stay level headed.

Wow. I'm sorry if I didn't get that as a joke. The phrasing of it didn't seem jokey, well, at least not in negating its meaning.

Ugh, Rob Parker just proved to a national audience what a buffoon he is. Stephen A. Smith and Skip are blowhards enough, now Parker drops this mess. I happen to be of mixed heritage, including African American, but his remarks are SO STUPID that people of any race would be offended. Sadly, this will just draw MORE attention to First Take, thus making ESPN quietly happy....

Wow. I'm sorry if I didn't get that as a joke. The phrasing of it didn't seem jokey, well, at least not in negating its meaning.

Yeah, with all the references, I didn't think it was a joke either.

---------- Post added December-13th-2012 at 02:08 PM ----------

What should RG3 do to act "more black"?

How do you act more black anyway LOL?

Here's the part that's messed up.

ESPN will trot Parker out on their First Take program and have him stir the pot with his insensitive/offensive comments, all while being on board of the suspension(s) of Czabe (and the other guy) as well as firing the dude who had the racially insensitive comments about Jeremy Lin.

It's a damn joke.

? My wife isn't white, does that make me "less white"?

In reality, were you to say that you wanted to only date or marry white women because you were down for your people, you'd be the worst kind of racist in this society. I, personally, have no problem with that approach (provided you aren't FOR hurting other people) but it's the kind of prison in which many minds are kept servile and in the dark.

Here's the part that's messed up.

ESPN will trot Parker out on their First Take program and have him stir the pot with his insensitive/offensive comments, all while being on board of the suspension(s) of Czabe (and the other guy) as well as firing the dude who had the racially insensitive comments about Jeremy Lin.

It's a damn joke.

You are exactly right. Why does this tool get a pass?

Parker will have to apologize for this. Who the **** IS he anyways?

I have NO doubts that RGIII will handle this perfectly, which will be to say, when he is inevitably asked about it, something along the lines of "you don't really expect me to respond to that right?"

Video here in case you want to see this drivel.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/december/rob-parker-criticizes-robert-griffin-iii-for-having-a-white-fiance.html

I didnt see the whole show, did Skip somehow make the discussion on race about Tim Tebow?

That was a good take on it. Key sentence: "They will continue to hire people like Rob Parker who are more interested in getting their name trending that speaking any sort of common sense."

That was a good take on it. Key sentence: "They will continue to hire people like Rob Parker who are more interested in getting their name trending that speaking any sort of common sense."

That's what ESPN is worried about now. Forget reporting on good stories. We want eyeballs!

Archived