Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Collection of Memories, or: The Education of a Young Skin

DaneSkin

Dear fellow Skins!

First, the premise for this entire thread:

I’m a 21 year old Dane (hailing from Denmark – very small country, oft thought of as the capital of.. Sweden) Skins-fan. I came by this dubious calling by living four years in the DC area as a kid; and to say I had a choice.. well, you don’t choose the Redskins – they chose you.

I have been lurking on this forum for the past two years now, and I watch every game we play. To say I love the Skins would be an understatement; like many of you guys on here, my day – nay my week! – kan be determined by a single Sunday. This has resulted in some rather.. exhausting years. But by god has this season been exiting! Every game a nail biter, every play potentially trauma-inducing, every pass (by the opposition) a heart-stopping dread – but for the first time in my history as a fan, I actually believe we can win (as yesterday so beautifully showcased). My favorite players are the young guns: black Jesus, Alfred which-ever-name-the-community-has-decided-on-this-week Morris, and Pierre Garcon, spiced with an extreme respect for the Grand ‘Ol Mr. Fletcher.

Being from another country, we have no Football history in my family, so my fandom and passion for the game, has arisen by extensively playing Madden and watching many, many games. It bears no marks from history, no greater franchise knowledge, and no reminiscing about glory days. I know a few names: the Hogs, Theismann, Slingin’ Sammy, and the like. But these are exactly that: names Wikipedia, extremeskins posts, and various articles have mentioned.

So here comes the point; I would like to reach out to you, my fellow Skins fans, especially you glorious vets out there, who have seen, endured and lived so many… uhm.. “wonderful” Redskins games. Since I know that Extremeskins is such a loving and caring forum (with a few exceptions: fumbles, incompletions, any play call by Haz, anything committed by our secondary, loses…;)), I felt certain that this was the right place to come. For who can better recall the great times, the defining times of a franchise, better than its most passionate fans. So I ask you, in the quest of education and enlightenment, two questions:

1. What is your greatest/most defining Redskins moment/era, and why? (these can be negative; see Theismann, Joe and Taylor, Sean)

2. How did the excitement surrounding the franchise compare with what we feel today?

I recognize some responses will be long, but this is exactly what I am seeking. I want to collect a fountain (well, rather a thread) of knowledge about the memorable moments of our beloved franchise, and at the same time learn about what being a Skins fan really means. I dearly hope you guys will join in and contribute, and would be much honored to read your stories and memories.

A resounding Hail! :logo:

DaneSkin

Welcome DS, get comfy, this could be a lengthy thread if people decide to share the way you asked.

I know I've been rootin' for this team for 40 yrs now (damn, just sayin it makes me feel old), and IMO we are in the throes of something we've never had before. I know I always appreciated the solid bluecollar aspect of the Skins, even when they were redhot during Gibbs 1 there was never a super-duper media darling superstar, we just went out and beat those guys. After the last woeful decade or two having to adjust to this type of gushing adoration for our QB is difficult, whiplash inducing, and when you add in Griffin's character and humility where he constantly gives credit and praise to rest of his team, it's like some insane dream. We're completely off the map here.

And BTW, yes, we know where Denmark is. I know a lot of people on the continent consider Americans to be little more than bears living in caves but they don't understand that there are a lot of fat, happy bears in some seriously sweet caves and we're ok with that :ols:

bear5.jpg

Welcome to the boards young Dane,

Nice opening. I'm friendly with a lot of Scandinavians (mainly Norwegians) through my other sporting passion, Liverpool Football Club. It never fails to amuse me how most all of them speak better Scouse than me as their first real introduction to English was through soccer and coming over to watch the games. And one of my all time favourite players is Danish, Jan Molby. Man could I tell you some story's about the big man. But we'll leave that before our American hosts start having a hissy fit at all this round ball talk. ;)

My all time greatest/ defining Redskin moment isn't so much a moment as a collection of them. A whole season's worth that brought me out of the later days of my teenage years thinking our '80's invincibility would NEVER end, such was the utter dominance of that team. (Man how wrong was that assertion.). For my Redskin moment is, IMHO, our greatest ever season when everything just came together, the 1991 season that culminated in our third, and thus far last, Lombardi.

The names from that great season just roll off the tongue like it was yesterday. The Hogs MKII, with Rallo and Schlereth joining Big Jake, Russ and Bostic to keep Ryp upright to the tune of a mere NINE sacks all year.And Mark had a career year and then some (3,564 yards, with the most aesthetically beautiful deep ball with touch ANYONE has ever had, going for 28 TD's and only 11 INTS.). 'The Posse' on the end of those rockets, with Monk and Clark going for over a thousand yards each, and Sanders augmenting the threat with another 500 plus. Earnest Byner hammering the rock, and Ervins and then Riggs finishing it for over 20 rushing TD's on the year. And when they did come up short, there was another career year from Lohmiller, who outscored the woeful Colts all by himself. And over the other side of the ball, the fearsome 'Capital Defense.' Second lowest points allowed in the entire league, Hell, only 5 opponents all year topped 20 points, and they had 3 shut-outs, with another 3 games holding the opposition to 10 points or less. Charles Mann, without his compadre Dexter posting the second best sack season of his career. Monte Coleman, Andre Collins and Wilbur Marshall forming one of the hardest hitting LB groups I've ever seen. With old dependable Darrell Green at the back end alongside Mayhew and the beast of a hard hitting safety Edwards. Oh, and one of the best return men of all time still churning up the yards in Brian Mitchell. Man I could go on and on and on here. 14- 2, and all so close to a perfect season, with just a 3 point loss to Dallas in a game we should of won, and a last day 2 point loss in Philly with most of the starters rested. And the playoffs were just as awesome, with all three games being won by a combined 102 points to 41. With the Falcons and Lions respectively held to 7 and 10 points on the way to Minneapolis and the ass whooping of the Bills.

When you ask how it compares to now, I was thinking of the last thread I posted in before this, asking for a score prediction for Sunday. Back in '91, it wasn't 'are we going to win Sunday?'; but more 'by just how many are we going to win Sunday?' I honestly don't think, save for maybe the Pats who fell short a few years back, there's ever been a more dominating or complete team assembled that had it all come together so spectacularly over the course of a season. (A season we we're written off in before it even begun.).

So no, we aren't at that level of expectation/ dominance yet. And this feeling of excitement on this unexpected 2012 ride is somewhat different. If equally awesome in it's own way.

I hope and pray it ends in NO's with #4. And then yourself, and everyone else too young to of experienced it, will get to see first hand what us 'oldies' have been through and the untouchable feeling of knowing your the very best of the best and nobody can take that away from you for the whole of the next year.

There truly is no feeling like that, and with that dude in the 10 jersey, we may just get to experience those long lost emotions again some time soon.

Hail.

Wow.. Hoggs, that was simply beautiful. Strangely... moving. That kind of passion is what really made my want to start this thread.. to understand the history behind everything. Having only been born in 1991, the concept of us being dominant is.. well, quite frankly unthinkable. A wonderfull read.

And thank you all for the replies so far. It is much appreciated, and I hope everyone will enjoy the stories as much as I do :)

Hail

The Redskins successes and failures seem to match up well with my defining life moments. Became a fan in 1972 when Sonny led a second half comeback against the Dallas Cowboys and was a die-hard by the time we faced them in the championship that season. I graduated from college in spring 1986 and the 1985 team was the last team dominated by players from my childhood. Joe Gibbs retires the first time and I changed careers. Now I am pushing 50 and it seems another big change for the Redskins is beginning.

My dad was a Redskins fan and I remember games being on every Sunday in my house. Skins games were special events b/c my mom always insisted that we all sit at the table for every meal except for games...we set up a card table in the living room and sometimes even drove the 20 or so miles to pick up a pizza before the game! The first season I remember vividly was 1982 because the team was so dominant. They just manhandled teams every week and never, I mean NEVER, turned the ball over. They were +42 on the season for turnovers. Everyone knew that Riggins would get the ball on 3rd and less than 5 but no one could stop him. The O line absolutely dominated everyone they faced. When they beat the Vikings to go to the NFC Championship against Dallas, I watched and cheered as RFK rocked up and down and the WE WANT DALLAS cheer went on for what seemed like 10 minutes. I was only 10 years old but I remember thinking that I was seeing something really special, something really memorable as I watched. The next week, my dad and I screamed like banshees when Dexter Manley laid the hurt on Danny White and later when Darryl Grant ran that tipped Hogeboom pass back for a touchdown. My 5th grade teacher promised us no homework for the week if the Redskins beat the Dolphins and she kept her word. We were even allowed to stand up during lunchtime and sing Hail to the Redskins.

The 80's and early 90's were a great time to be a Redskins fan and I think that spoiled me. I just expected that they would always have a good team and I think that's why the past 10 years or so have hurt so bad. I do have good memories from games I attended...like beating the Cowboys on a last second field goal by Nick Novak after ST21 ran back a blocked FG attempt and going to Philly for a New Years Day play-in game for the playoffs... but there are far more memories more like the swinging gate, the Spurrier era, and the death of ST21. I think the suffering year after year is what makes this season feel so good, so special. I fully believe that the ship has been righted and we are heading into a bright future with this team. Dane, I hope you get to have as many good Redskins memories from the future as I already have from the past. Hail!

First off, having visited both Denmark and Sweden, I find it funny that people confuse the two in any way. As I came to learn the Danes and Swedes have some sort of long-standing rivalry and take ever opportunity they can to take digs at each other. That said:

1) It's kind of trite but I was 7 when the Redskins played the Broncos in the Super Bowl. I didn't really understand football but I knew it was a big deal because of all the hype. I was so angry when the Broncos came out and scored those 10 points and so elated when the Redskins pulled off that second quarter. Bear I mind, I still really didn't understand football, but I could read the score. That's my earliest memory of really 'watching' and taking an active interest in the team.

2) Meh, I'm a grown up now. I still love watching them on Sundays and cheering for them, but I'm nowhere near as 'connected' to the team. I had a roommate in college who would pout and not talk to anybody all week when the Packers lost. It got old after a while-- my emotions pretty much disappear after the final whistle.

Wow.. Hoggs, that was simply beautiful. Strangely... moving. That kind of passion is what really made my want to start this thread.. to understand the history behind everything. Having only been born in 1991, the concept of us being dominant is.. well, quite frankly unthinkable. A wonderfull read.

And thank you all for the replies so far. It is much appreciated, and I hope everyone will enjoy the stories as much as I do :)

Hail

Don't thank me man. Thank Coach and the '91 vintage for giving us one of the greatest seasons in NFL history.

And being as you genuinely seem interested, something along similar lines you might find interesting that basically explains how I came to have a now 30 year love for this team: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?355882-Diez-mil-penamientos-La-parte-tres-.....-Or-how-GHH-got-to-the-landmark.

LOVE the story about your dad and school teacher CR BTW. Happy, happy times indeed.

Here's to them returning in the not too distant future.

Hail.

1. What is your greatest/most defining Redskins moment/era, and why? (these can be negative; see Theismann, Joe and Taylor, Sean)

2. How did the excitement surrounding the franchise compare with what we feel today?

1. Joe Theismann is still my favorite all time Redskins. He was a true leader on the field

2. the feeling from the 1970s through early 90s was much different. I think in particular of the 1991 season. When we played, it wasn't a question of if we would win, it was a question of how bad we would trounce our opponent. The way you see the Patriots did like last night, that's how we were in 1991. We could destroy anyone at any time and tack on an extra TD on a deep pass late in the game just because we could. Dallas gave us our worst game that year. They were tough both games as they were on the rise. The Oilers, who were one of the best teams in the league, gave us a tough slobberknocker game when you would have thought it would be a high scoring game. We had confidence going in every week that we would win.

Believe it or not, in 1982, even though we went 8-1, we still had a lot of close games that year. 1983 was the year we lit it up, but just couldn't finish the job.

Some of our wins in 1991:

Detroit, 45-0

Phoenix Cardinals, 34-0

Philly, 23-0

Cleveland, 42-17

Atlanta, 56-17

Pittsburgh, 41-14

LA Rams, 27-6

NFC Championship: Detroit, 41-10

That Super Bowl XXVI win, 37-24, was a lot worse than the score. If I remember correctly, we were up like 27-0 and sort of let up on the gas. I know it could have been closer but early in the game, I can't remember, but I think Darrell Talley took off his helmet and slammed it in anger over a Pass interference call in the end zone setting up a first down for us where we ended up scoring.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 05:12 PM ----------

And over the other side of the ball, the fearsome 'Capital Defense.' il.

Actually, I think the offense was called Capital Punishment and the defense was the Department of Defense.

Dex was certainly the 'Secretary of Defense' when he was out there laying the wood.

Whatever the nick, that was one heck of a punishing unit.

Hail.

He was dominating. It's a shame his life took the many turns it did.

---------- Post added December-11th-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

That Super Bowl XXVI win' date=' 37-24, was a lot worse than the score. If I remember correctly, we were up like 27-0 and sort of let up on the gas. I know it could have been closer but early in the game, I can't remember, but I think Darrell Talley took off his helmet and slammed it in anger over a Pass interference call in the end zone setting up a first down for us where we ended up scoring.

.[/quote']

Nevermind this Above. I think I found the correct info:

Once the second quarter hit, Buffalo was left in the dust as Washington raced out to a 17-0 lead. A late charge by Buffalo came up short when a 15-yard unsportsman like conduct penalty on Andre Reed knocked the Bills out of field goal range.

My defining moment has a lot to do with who I was at the greatest game I witnessed: My Mom and Dad. I was 17 at the time, RFK Stadium, Redskins vs. Miami, October 28, 1974. Sitting in the bleacher seats in RFK (in the old right-field bleachers for those of you who can remember), wind blowing and cold. For some reason, those field level bleachers were always that way, cold & always in the shade. I can still remember seeing fans at halftime in short-sleeve shirts (because they had upper-deck seats in the sun). Me? Cold seats bundled up in a heavy coat. But we had a field level end-zone view of the game.

Greatest game I've ever seen: A 40-year old QB (Sonny), a 1 legged RB (Larry Brown) who was tossed out for fighting during the game, and the greatest last minute drive I've ever seen. It was noted after the game that Sonny was drawing up plays in the dirt: "You go this way, you go this way. OL give me time so I can get them the ball."

You have to understand, Sonny & Larry Brown were basically playing on 1 leg. Each had severely injured knees that were no longer functioning. They dragged their injured bad leg like a keg every time they moved. The bad knee on each of them had so much tape wrapped around they were the size of a football, but they played. Hard.

Here's an excerpt the following week after the game:

"The following Sunday, Allen started him against Miami, and in the last few minutes Jurgensen hit six of seven passes, the final one for a touchdown, and Miami was stunned 20-17. The admiring Kilmer said, "He's the master." It was such a glorious performance that on Wednesday, three days later, Allen went so far as to tell Jurgensen he did a good job. And the quarterback spot belonged to him once again.

"I'm still rusty," Jurgensen said after the Miami game. "I can't throw as far as I used to, and I can't move and throw on the run like I used to, and I probably don't have as much sting on the ball. I didn't even know whether I could make the team this year, but I thought I'd give it a try because I don't feel old."

Against Miami, rusty was the right word for Jurgensen. In the first half, before he got properly warmed up, he threw three interceptions. Still, the crowd stayed with him.

"They knew the defenders were the only guys I could find open," he kidded. "Fans do a lot for a quarterback. I have confidence I can still throw pretty good, and every year you get better at looking at the other team's window dressing."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1089153/1/index.htm

But this article about the game still sends chills down my spine:

"Larry Smith stood dressing slowly, ever so slowly, his face slightly puffy, two large-red welts on his temples oozing slightly. His hand and foot were throbbing too, because there are broken bones in each. And there was the pain from a pulled groin muscle.

Deacon Jones once called Smith "a walking wreck." Yesterday, his teammates and every football fanatic in this town who roots for the Redskins were calling him hero, and Sonny Jurgensen savior, after the 20-17 defeat of the Miami Dolphins.

They combined on a six-yard touchdown pass--Jurgensen pitching, Smith catching and pounding barely to the goal line with 16 seconds to play--to provide the points needed to beat the world champion Dolphins at RFK Stadium.

The Redskins rallied from deficits of 10-0 and 17-13, trailing by the latter score with 1:46 to play. Then Jurgensen, the old master, drove them 60 yards in the waning seconds to the touchdown that left the 54,395 in attendance and all of the Redskins delirious and the Dolphins stunned."

More at the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/74dolphins.htm

A truly masterful comeback by the Legend: Sonny Jurgensen. The stadium went absolutely crazy when they scored the winning TD. Not a dry eye in the house. An amazing, amazing game. Heart, blood, hobbled old men willing their bodies to victory. Fans, black, white, male, female, hugging and cheering their conquering heroes. A truly, truly majestic day at RFK.

And for me, sadly, the last game I attended with my Mother.

These are all amazing reads. And GoSkins, I can't say I know what it feels like, but I share your pain. It must be great to have such a wonderfull memory of the last game you two attended together. I am so happy you guys are sharing likes this; I find it fascinating and i am honored you guys share your stories with such passion and intimacy. Reading some of these stories, it is no wonder this franchise has the following it has.

Hail

Welcome, DS:

I have been a Skins fan for 67 of my 77 years. Two years ago, I was asked to share some memories with the membership. I did so in the thread linked. I hope you find it interesting even if it's not exactly what you requested.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343030-The-Good-Guys-Always-Wear-Burgundy

Cool Story. Not sure how I missed that thread of yours, but these are the kinds of things I love reading about in here. My mom used to go with her uncle to the games at Griffith Stadium in the 50s, when she was a little girl. She was born in 1947. I liked hearing the stories from her during that time period. She also used to go to the Washington Senators games.

Okay great thread first of all. I will read all the posts later after I have posted mine. I was a Skins fan as a little kid, following the Colts and the Skins until the Colts moved out of Baltimore. I moved to OC as a teen, so there really was three choices at that time between those two and the Eagles. Many of my friends were Eagles fans and the rivalry helped nurture my early fandom. As for highlights or eras you could look no further than my avatar. I swore and made bets that the Skins would win the SB the day we signed Doug Williams.

I was still in OC at that time and was planning on moving to SWFL at the end of summer. I did and got here to find a fanclub of over 200 people meeting at a place called Beef Steak Charlies. I was broke and couldn't really afford much food or drinking and the specials, the people all took care of me on Sundays. I helped out by doing whatever they asked for the Club. I got to know everyone real well, picking up side work for them and making life changing friendships. At the end of that year when the Skins were going to the SB the band from the Sheraton OC was in town playing at a Holiday Inn.

They all came out to watch the game with Me and my girlfriend at the time, I didn't know but they were Bronco's fans. The Club was like who brought these guys, yeah it was me. You know the rest as the game flipped on second quarter record breaker. I won over $500. that day between the pre-season bets and the SB bets with the Band. Honestly I know that I could not have scraped up the $500. right then at that time. The Skins came through big time, lol.

I eventually went on to take the club over after the founder asked me too. Seems there were several years that the account had been emptied out and the club was being used as a personal source of funding. I then used the club to raise money for Ronald McDonald House, Hope Hospice and the Child Protection Team of SWFL. Something that I am truly proud of today and will carry to my grave. The feeling of giving back in the name of the Club was the ultimate pay back for what was given to me. I had two mentors that have both passed since but our time together will never be forgotten.

I remember moving here not knowing anyone and rushing to the library to read three day old, at the minimum, washington posts sports sections just to keep up to date on the team. There was no SC's, NFL network or internet to get info. And I was the go to source for many of the area fans for updates. Those days are the foundation of my ExtremeSkins roots, not the old CBS or AOL boards, but the real fans who after winning the last SB keep coming to the club, keep giving money to charities in the name of the SWFL Redskins Fanclub.

I would also like to thank the founders and the mods of this site for providing such a great atmosphere to discuss the Redskins. Many of the younger fans don't know how great this source is, or maybe they do and forget to say it.

Welcome! I wish I had more time to do a thorough write up. I grew up in a Redskins family. I remember watching the games every Sunday at my grandparent's house in the 60's. The team was not very good as I recall, but we watched and cheered as hard as we do today.

One memory that really stands out is when it was announced that Lombardi was going to be the coach. We were ecstatic! The saddest thing next to Taylor's death was the announcement of Lombardi's cancer. I cried like a baby.

During Super Bowl VII I was given my first beer. Despite the heartbreak and my mother's objections, I'll never forget that day. I still don't like the Dolphins.

There are many more memories. Going to the "We Want Dallas" game was huge and seeing the Skins destroy Detroit in the championship from the lower level was awesome.

I have to get back to work or I would continue. One thing we didn't have in the good old days was the internet. Forums like this allow us to communicate with fellow fans in the area, around the country and across the ocean. How cool is that?

Fantastic thread...when I was a kid, growing up in the 60's and 70's, I didn't feel like I was the kid my father wanted. I wore glasses, was more into books and my father was really into sports, especially the Redskins. I started watching games with him and felt our bond grow. It gave us something in common. I started watching during the Sonny and Billy days...and there was this new coach, Allen, who was going to be the one who finished what Lombardi started. I parroted a lot of what he said because I didn't understand the game yet.

Coincidentally, a year or so later, there was a book in our Scholastic Books (I don't know if they still do this. but we used to get a catalog periodically of books we could order through our school at a discount)...anyway, there was a book titled "The Future is Now"...it was about George Allen and his transformation of the Redskins. I checked out books on football strategy and theory, and the history of the NFL from the library. I was hooked. I have been a fan ever since. And one of the things that my father and I talked about on his death bed was how the Skins were doing in the playoffs (1986 season). They had captured a wild card slot, then won the division on the same day my father died. That was one I couldn't share with him. But I will always share the bond we had over the Redskins.

Welcome to the boards young Dane,

Nice opening. I'm friendly with a lot of Scandinavians (mainly Norwegians) through my other sporting passion, Liverpool Football Club. It never fails to amuse me how most all of them speak better Scouse than me as their first real introduction to English was through soccer and coming over to watch the games. And one of my all time favourite players is Danish, Jan Molby. Man could I tell you some story's about the big man. But we'll leave that before our American hosts start having a hissy fit at all this round ball talk. ;)

My all time greatest/ defining Redskin moment isn't so much a moment as a collection of them. A whole season's worth that brought me out of the later days of my teenage years thinking our '80's invincibility would NEVER end, such was the utter dominance of that team. (Man how wrong was that assertion.). For my Redskin moment is, IMHO, our greatest ever season when everything just came together, the 1991 season that culminated in our third, and thus far last, Lombardi.

The names from that great season just roll off the tongue like it was yesterday. The Hogs MKII, with Rallo and Schlereth joining Big Jake, Russ and Bostic to keep Ryp upright to the tune of a mere NINE sacks all year.And Mark had a career year and then some (3,564 yards, with the most aesthetically beautiful deep ball with touch ANYONE has ever had, going for 28 TD's and only 11 INTS.).

That '91 Season was absolutely incredible, and I feel blessed to have witnessed it first hand and to be able to remember it. I'll never forget the first game of that season--we were playing Detroit, and my mother and stepfather were meeting with a realtor in our dining room during the game, so my step father asked me to come in and update him every time we scored. I was in and out all night, since we beat them 45-0.

That '91 team in my mind is one of the top 5 teams of all time. As GHH pointed out, we lost two games by a combined 5 points and one of those losses was the last game of the season when we rested all of our starters. If we had won that game and gone 15-1, I think the '91 team would be considered one of the top three teams of all time. It should be anyway.

Just to give you a bit more color on our dominance that year...who did we face in the NFC Championship game? The same Detroit Lions team we had beaten 45-0 on opening day.

I thought of something else that I wanted to post after reading some of these. I have a friend from work whose dad was a HUGE Skins fan. He passed away very unexpectedly last fall (2011) just after the season had started. I had only met him a couple of times but we talked about the team briefly each time. At the end of his memorial service, his daughter asked everyone to stand and sing Hail to the Redskins because she knew he would've gotten a big kick out of it. Let me tell you...an entire churchfull of people singing the fight song gave me more goosebumps than when I've sung it at RFK and FedEx. When her mom cleaned out the house to sell, she gave me his helmet from the '60's because she said she knew I'd appreciate it as much as her husband did. That helmet is one of my prized possessions now and it will hold a place of honor when I finally get my Redskins room.

HTTR

Awesome thread Dane, welcome to the board. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. All of my family except for my sister(giants) are also diehard skins fans. I caught the "fever" of being a Skins fan from my Grandmother. My earliest redskin memories are of me sitting next to my grandma on sundays watching OUR beloved skins. She wouldn't miss a game for anything, and I do mean ANYTHING. I'll never forget how crushed she was when the raiders put a butt whoopin on us in the superbowl., Just like I'll never forget how excited and happy she was when we won the superbowl in 87 and 91. That 91 team was something magical. Sure they lost 2 games, but man were they a machine. From the posse and Mark Rypien to the Hogs and the Capital Defense, simply amazing. I feel those good times are coming back around for us. I know you've seen superbowl parades in other cities. But you just wait until WE have another one. There's more to just being a fan for us who follow the Redskins. It's a passion for most, a part of us. Which is why I frequent this board as much as I do. We all have that in common and understand what being a redskin fan is all about. I cant wait until we get that 4th lombardi. How sweet that is going to be for us all after the last 15-20 years, especially the ones who stuck by our Skins through thick and thin. Hail.

What a great thread...it's been interesting reading some of the stories..Welcome to the board Dane...I've been a Skins fan for 40 years now...there's been so many great memories over those years and heartbreaking ones as well...the names of those great players that we vets remember so well...Larry Brown...Roy Jefferson...Art Monk...Darrell Green...Chris Hanburger...Doug Williams...Timmy Smith...Riggins...Manley..etc..I used to love how Dexter always wanted to take Danny White out..lol..it was like his mission in life! I must say one of my most favorite moments w/this team came in 2005..the Monday night miracle...Brunell to Moss 2 times to win that game in the last minutes of the game...I smile every time I think of that and the people who went to bed before it was over(shame on yall for losing faith..lol)..plus it was the year that my son was killed...I always say we won that game for him..I was raising him to be a Skins fan..just like all responsible parents should do :)...my most hated moment was in 1974(I think that was year)...Thanksgiving day...Texas Stadium...Clint Longley came in as QB for Dallas and threw a long bomb pass to Drew Pearson for a TD and they won that game! I was heartbroken and disgusted!! We didn't even know who this Clint person was..lol I'll never forget that..I can still see that stupid pass in my mind! UGH!! It was also great to have the feeling that no matter what...Darrell Green was gonna catch whoever was running in the secondary...he caught everyone w/his lightening fast legs..I'd kill for that kind of reassurance in our secondary now..lol! And if DG got the INT..it was gonna go for many yards and good field position...those were the days..And to know that if the ball was tossed to Monk..that was a sure catch...never ever did I doubt that man...I barely remember him dropping any passes...these youngsters on this team today should go watch film on him...

Anyway...the rollercoaster ride continues...it's gotten much more fun since we've invited RGIII to join us in the lead car...it's been a long time since we've felt like this...and I for one am so happy that we are seeing a rejuvinated fan base again...some are coming out of the darkness...the good ol days are probably not as good as we think they were...but I loved 'em anyway...and now to have that kind of excitement brewing again is just great!!

I am 22

1. Clinton Portis going 64 yards to the house with his first touch (Most memorable)

2. Sean Taylor picking up a fumble and taking it to the house against Tampa Bay in the Playoffs in 05

3. Carlos Rogers dropping a pick 6 against SEA in the playoffs

4. Moss hooking up deep twice with under 4 minutes to go to beat the Boys.

5.Patrick Ramsey rolling over and saying "No more" when the boys whipped his a**

=(

Pathetic

Archived