Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

24 Hours in NYC: What Should I Do?

Hubbs

(Yes, yes, I know the first answer is to put my feet up on the air conditioner and let it blow on my junk. :ols:)

So I've spent the past week in New York, and I've kind of found myself with an unexpected free day at the end here. I've got my hotel room until tomorrow, I'm right next to a subway stop, and other than meeting up with a friend after work for a little bit, the rest of my time is pretty unscripted. I just finished a job that was temporary in nature (it had to do with covering election-related stuff) and I actually thought I'd also be meeting with a couple alums from my college to talk career/grad school, but those plans have fallen through. I'd do something crazy if I thought it meant I could grab 20 minutes with someone who works for one of the endless media outlets up here, but I don't know what that something crazy would be. Beyond that, I'm open to pretty much any suggestion. I've been here before and done the most touristy of touristy things—walked around Times Square, been to the top of the Empire State Building, etc. This being New York, however, there's a potentially endless list of things that I could do with my time. So I ask you, citizens of the Tailgate... what should I do during the next 24 hours?

Find and off broadway play and go see it.

http://theater.nytimes.com/venues/off-broadway.html

You really never know what you are going to get. Sometimes things true for the reviews and sometimes you walk out saying that wasn't what we/I thought it was going to be. However, I've some really hilarious things done off (and even off off off) Broadway.

My other advice would be just to walk around.

Start somewhere around Little Italy (or even further down in China Town if you want) and walk up towards Washington Sq. Park and then from there either over to 6th Ave and into Greenwhich Village or over to Broadway and into Union Sq.

Or you could go the other way and go into SoHo. I never found SoHo very interesting once you left Houston. But Katz's Deli is on Houston, and their sandwiches are pretty much one of a kind.

It is just an interesting part of the city w/ interesting shops and restaruants, but not something that a lot of people experience because it isn't really very touristry.

Once you get to mid-town or down in the financial district, it becomes less interesting.

If you've never been to the WTC site, it's a must see. Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn is nice. I believe they only accept cash though. Take a picture in front of the Cosby Show stoop 10 Leroy st in Greenwhich village. The American Museum of Natural History is something else.

Those are a few things I enjoyed.

If you've never been to the WTC site, it's a must see. Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn is nice. I believe they only accept cash though. Take a picture in front of the Cosby Show stoop 10 Leroy st in Greenwhich village. The American Museum of Natural History is something else.

Those are a few things I enjoyed.

You've just traveled something like 40 miles.

Archived