Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7:Interview Transcript W/ Michael Lombardi 11/14/12..

Lavarleap56

I think it's far time that Brown is shown the door the whole department reworked. I was really surprised that the Skins didn't take a run at former staff member Bobby Depaul when the Bears let him go. Even more surprising is that a guy with Depaul's scouting experience and track record in Chicago (he orchestrated the Cutler trade among many other moves) ends up a position coach in the UFL ( former Skins Kurt Gouveia is on the same staff)

What is outside of Mike Shanahans control ?

2010 unrestricted pool, 2011 lockout, 2012/13 cap penalty... and walking into a situation he knew he'd need 5 years to fix. Of course, that was his choice, but it was something done to this organization he had nothing to do with. Let's not overlook the amount of players he's cut since he's been here that have done nothing in this league after they left. That's huge and automatically makes our situation different.

Good article. Overall, I don't feel like I did in Zorn's 2nd year where I couldn't wait for him to go, but I am disappointed.

I've seen Lombardi talk about Shanny earlier this year on NFL Network -- he admires him as a coach but wonders about him as a GM. In a previous HTTR24 podcast, Lombardi said Shanny tended to overestimate his talent every year. To that point, where Shanny lost me a great deal was a couple of weeks ago when he said this is a top 5 defense without the injuries. That assertion struck me so ridiculous that it made me worry and still does that he won't right the ship for the defense.

http://www.redskins.com/team/staff/morocco-brown/aff6c80b-9305-49c4-912a-e0f87ba8779e

Here is Brown's resume prior to joining us in 2008:

If we are in to cleaning house, I am with that. But I am also with LL's philosophy... hire a GM... a young, hungry cat with everything to prove, and let him pick a coach and control the organization. That's the way you do it. He'll pick his own staff out. I don't want any of this... "well, you can pick out everyone, but little Schotty gets a job or it's no deal." Let him run the organization.

Morocco has been groomed for five years now and helped build some pretty good teams in Chicago, he was hired by Bill Polian as a scout for his first job in the league, worked under some good guys over in Chicago... he has some seasoning. I say lets see what he can do, but that's just my vote/opinion. Maybe it'd be better to get fresh eyes in here... but that'd be a waste throwing all of that time you've spent on M. Brown out the window.

I wouldn't be against this if they have done their homework and have identified Brown as the best candidate for the job.

It's a reach, but it may have to be the approach. You have to give it to Dan, he is a recluse and hates bad press, but he's come a long way the last few years. He might surprise us.

I hear ya.

Also, I love that we all just want an owner to sit back and have no say.

If I bought a team for a billion dollars, I would definitely want some input. Hell, I'd probably insert myself under center.

Most owners in the NFL do insist on being involved at some level. The media has just latched on a couple. Woody Johnson somehow escapes being painted like Snyder even though Tannebaum is clearly his Vinny-like puppet.

2010 unrestricted pool, 2011 lockout, 2012/13 cap penalty... and walking into a situation he knew he'd need 5 years to fix. Of course, that was his choice, but it was something done to this organization he had nothing to do with. Let's not overlook the amount of players he's cut since he's been here that have done nothing in this league after they left. That's huge and automatically makes our situation different.

I am not going to disagree with you on any of that. Those were bad hands to be dealt, no doubt. This is why I give Shanny some rope on the personnel side of the house, and I think overall, he's done some pretty good and impressive things with his time here as Redskins Head Coach/GM/VP, etc... (<---I just noticed he has more names than Apollo Creed, lol).

My issues come from the field. His clock management, the penalties, the effort of the players, the staff he's put together, the way he acts to the press, the way his team responds to him, how players are developed, who is developing them... who picks the players, etc.

That all is something, that after three years, we should have some assemilance of success. Personally, I am unimpressed with how the players have been developed, or how the practice squad is a rotating treasure hunt instead of a place that you actually coach up a late round pick to contribute.

This staff seems less interested in refining skills and coaching and more interested in out gaming and out scheming the other guy... which they don't do well either. So what good does it do to keep them around for another year when you could get the guy you want to go on a run with Robert next season and get them acquinted, comfortable, and allow them to build around and grow together?

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 02:12 PM ----------

I hear ya.

Also, I love that we all just want an owner to sit back and have no say.

If I bought a team for a billion dollars, I would definitely want some input. Hell, I'd probably insert myself under center.

Most owners in the NFL do insist on being involved at some level. The media has just latched on a couple. Woody Johnson somehow escapes being painted like Snyder even though Tannebaum is clearly his Vinny-like puppet.

hahaha, I think about this everytime the lottery get's around $400 mil. I'm like... would Dan sell me 25% of the Redskins for that? I would just go to games on Sunday, be involved in charity, and be on the bay fishing and crabbing the rest of the time. But that's just me... Also, if I was the only guy, I would definitely be a little more involved with logistics. I wouldn't assume I know anything about football, but my team would have the best of everything. But fair points.

I don't want Mike Shanahan gone. And I doubt very few people, even those that are critical of the personnel decisions under his regime, want him gone. I think that discussion is a waste of time that waters down this thread/article.

Fans that are critical of Synder in this thread but not of Shanahan make me scratch my head. Imho Dan Snyder's past mistakes leave him sort of hamstrung when it comes to Mike Shanahan as the GM. But, if Synder has grown wiser as owner like as his recent history suggests maybe he realizes the need for a true GM to guide the franchise?

Synder is smart dude, at his core he's a salesman. He needs to sell Mike Shanahan on the sales pitch that I believe will lead this team in the direction that Griffin is ready to take us.

I don't want Mike Shanahan gone. And I doubt very few people, even those that are critical of the personnel decisions under his regime, want him gone. I think that discussion is a waste of time that waters down this thread/article.

Fans that are critical of Synder in this thread but not of Shanahan make me scratch my head. Imho Dan Snyder's past mistakes leave him sort of hamstrung when it comes to Mike Shanahan as the GM. But, if Synder has grown wiser as owner like as his recent history suggests maybe he realizes the need for a true GM to guide the franchise?

Synder is smart dude, at his core he's a salesman. He needs to sell Mike Shanahan on the sales pitch that I believe will lead this team in the direction that Griffin is ready to take us.

We are talking about convincing Pablo Escobar in his prime that he doesn't need any oversite on the operation... You really think Snyder could pull that off? I'll bet Mike learned a thing or two from the Zorn contract rumors that Steve Largent put out into the public and got everything he wanted in the contract. Realistically, Snyder is probably hamstrung to that and the only way out would be to fire him and move on. Remember the state of the franchise when Mike showed up? He probably got daily massages and tanning booth time worked in.

I've heard this sentiment a quite a few times around here, but how do we know Morocco isn't part of the problem? If I understand correctly (and I'm simplifying the process here), he gets all the info together on pro and college players, gives Shanahan a list of "good" players, and then Shanahan makes the ultimate decision. How do we know Shanahan hasn't just been given bad info?

As the decision maker it's Mikes job to test and challenge the information he is given. If all he is doing is just taking the list of players and grades given to him by his player personnel guys and following the order you or I could do his job. If he is getting bad info he has to smoke that out during the process - and then fire the folks feeding him the bad data.

Mike knows offense and his decision making on that side of the ball in free agency and the draft have been good. I don't think he has a good feel for evaluating defensive personnel so my take is we need strong scouting with a defensive back ground and a DC who does know what he needs and has a voice in the process. It's the defense that really needs fixing this offseason.

Why were the lockout and the unrestricted pool bad breaks? Building a roster is a competition with 31 other teams. All were equally affected.

If Mike didn't know his cap strategy put his team at risk for a penalty, he should have -- no excuse.

He took a poor roster and made the situation worse by changing schemes on both sides of the ball. Why is that not his choice?

He has added five starters through the draft since 2010 (not counting Jenkins who starts because of injury). Meanwhile Belichik adds eight in the same time frame by better handling of his picks.

Why were the lockout and the unrestricted pool bad breaks? Building a roster is a competition with 31 other teams. All were equally affected.

If Mike didn't know his cap strategy put his team at risk for a penalty, he should have -- no excuse.

He took a poor roster and made the situation worse by changing schemes on both sides of the ball. Why is that not his choice?

He has added five starters through the draft since 2010 (not counting Jenkins who starts because of injury). Meanwhile Belichik adds eight in the same time frame by better handling of his picks.

I agree with this 100%.

You have to remember that the Skins' roster pre Shanny was the worst thing in life times a million divided by 12.

That's his argument. I don't agree

We are talking about convincing Pablo Escobar in his prime that he doesn't need any oversite on the operation... You really think Snyder could pull that off? I'll bet Mike learned a thing or two from the Zorn contract rumors that Steve Largent put out into the public and got everything he wanted in the contract. Realistically, Snyder is probably hamstrung to that and the only way out would be to fire him and move on. Remember the state of the franchise when Mike showed up? He probably got daily massages and tanning booth time worked in.

To even a fool's knowledge, the wisest thing for Snyder to do is to sit back and let this play out.

2010 unrestricted pool, 2011 lockout,

Unrestricted pool and 2011 lockout... come on bro. Every team in the league dealt with the same circumstances.

2012/13 cap penalty...

Like I said earlier.. Allen/Shanny rolled the dice and got busted. Can't fault them for trying,Don't agree with the NFL having "rules in a uncapped year", Don't agree with the timing of the penalty. Reality is that they tried and failed so Mike and Bruce created that situation.. not out of his control.

walking into a situation he knew he'd need 5 years to fix.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/34788/shanahan-mailbag-offense-a-family-affair

MS: "You just know that you've got two more years to get the job done, because they never let you go through the five years. You get it done in four years or you're gone. But that's what I love about this profession -- the pressure of it, what goes with it. The thing that I enjoy is that I've got an owner that's going to give me a chance to be successful. And if I can't get it done in four years, even though I've got a five-year contract, then I shouldn't be here."

THIS is where the Lombardi comments should hit home.. A very difficult task to improve in year 4 and a coach who says he shouldn't be here if he hasn't done it by year 4.....

That is very ominous to me and paints a picture of spinning mud for the next 23 games...

SuperStock_1848-155175.jpg

Let's not overlook the amount of players he's cut since he's been here that have done nothing in this league after they left. That's huge and automatically makes our situation different.

I agree we have cut a lot of players that didn't get picked up by other teams but some did and some start like Locklear etc.. we have cut a lot of players Shanny picked as well.

You have to remember that the Skins' roster pre Shanny was the worst thing in life times a million divided by 12.

We must have been wrong about Jim Zorn. He must have been great to get that many wins with zero talent on the roster.:D

Agree, this wasn't intended as a fire Shanahan thread..Simple post of the transcript to create discussion. I don't understand why people think you want Shanahan fired just because your critical of him as a GM.

I believe in Mike the coach but the GM is another story..

” That’s a great question..To me when they got hit with cap penalties and got hit with $36 million and lost $18 million your gonna have to figure out how to find players, your gonna have to figure it out because you have to find a solution. Ive often said Daniel Snyder has made a mistake about putting money into players when he should of put $ 5 million dollars into having a state of the art personnel department, build the personnel department that”s the best in the league instead of spending money on one player that you’re never gonna see again so I think now is the time to do it. Its going to be a real challenge for Mike and its going to be difficult.”

End thread.

Had Snyder done this 10 years ago we would never have been in this position.

My issues come from the field. His clock management, the penalties, the effort of the players, the staff he's put together, the way he acts to the press, the way his team responds to him, how players are developed, who is developing them... who picks the players, etc.

That all is something, that after three years, we should have some assemilance of success. Personally, I am unimpressed with how the players have been developed, or how the practice squad is a rotating treasure hunt instead of a place that you actually coach up a late round pick to contribute.

This staff seems less interested in refining skills and coaching and more interested in out gaming and out scheming the other guy... which they don't do well either. So what good does it do to keep them around for another year when you could get the guy you want to go on a run with Robert next season and get them acquinted, comfortable, and allow them to build around and grow together?

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 02:12 PM ----------

I agree with you. That has been disappointing. However, how much of that is due to the fact that we've had such an influx of young players starting for the first time in their careers on an NFL team? That's where I probably give him a little more leeway than you. Furthermore, our offense this year has been pretty innovative so that may just be part of the learning curve. We're not running things exactly the same as we were under McNabb/Rex/Beck and that almost makes it like this is an offense that's in its first year. ALMOST being the operative word here... we should still be better in terms of penalties.

As the decision maker it's Mikes job to test and challenge the information he is given. If all he is doing is just taking the list of players and grades given to him by his player personnel guys and following the order you or I could do his job. If he is getting bad info he has to smoke that out during the process - and then fire the folks feeding him the bad data.

Mike knows offense and his decision making on that side of the ball in free agency and the draft have been good. I don't think he has a good feel for evaluating defensive personnel so my take is we need strong scouting with a defensive back ground and a DC who does know what he needs and has a voice in the process. It's the defense that really needs fixing this offseason.

Agree and its a valid point.. People have a valid argument if you wonder IF shanny is capable of fixing a defense as a GM..

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/34788/shanahan-mailbag-offense-a-family-affair

ESPN...I told Shanahan that I often get questions from fans about whether Kyle will be fired, and that I generally respond to them by pointing out that Kyle's father is his boss and that a firing is therefore unlikely. He seemed to agree with my assessment, but here's what he had to say about the criticisms and the coaching staff in general:

MS: "I think what I've always been able to do is look at things very objectively in terms of where we're at. So when somebody says, 'Hey, your offense sucks,' I go, 'Hey, wait a minute. You look at my body of work over the last 27 years, we're No. 1.' And we’re going to continue to be up there. And I also know what it takes to have a good offense, in terms of coaches and personnel, and we're gong to get there, on both sides of it. And if I have a bad coach, I'm going to make changes, and if I don’t have the right personnel, I'm going to make changes. And we're going to get that thing fixed the right way."

We had to undue years of mismanagement. That's unlike any other team. The situation did not "equally" affect everyone with that in mind. Teams like the Pats had most of their team in place and weren't looking to replace what amounts to almost the entire squad.

Glad you know me so well. Except, you exaggerated to prove your point. Which shows how wrong it is. ;)

I envision the next coach is going to be making the same argument.

I don't. I envision the "next coach" will have a LOT more to work with. A LOT. My God, let me say it one more time. A LOT.

Unrestricted pool and 2011 lockout... come on bro. Every team in the league dealt with the same circumstances.

Read my response to Oldfan. Our situation was different and was more severely affected because of it.

Like I said earlier.. Allen/Shanny rolled the dice and got busted. Can't fault them for trying,Don't agree with the NFL having "rules in a uncapped year", Don't agree with the timing of the penalty. Reality is that they tried and failed so Mike and Bruce created that situation.. not out of his control.

MS: "You just know that you've got two more years to get the job done, because they never let you go through the five years. You get it done in four years or you're gone. But that's what I love about this profession -- the pressure of it, what goes with it. The thing that I enjoy is that I've got an owner that's going to give me a chance to be successful. And if I can't get it done in four years, even though I've got a five-year contract, then I shouldn't be here."

THIS is where the Lombardi comments should hit home.. A very difficult task to improve in year 4 and a coach who says he shouldn't be here if he hasn't done it by year 4.....

That is very ominous to me and paints a picture of spinning mud for the next 23 games...

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1848/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1848-155175.jpg

I agree we have cut a lot of players that didn't get picked up by other teams but some did and some start like Locklear etc.. we have cut a lot of players Shanny picked as well.

Locklear is an awful example to prove your point, lol. :)

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 01:03 PM ----------

They like to have it both ways when it comes to Zorn.

I hope you and Oldfan are not talking about me. :)

I was among those who actually wanted Zorn to stay on for one more year when he went on that decent three-game run after the first half of the Atlanta Falcons game. I even made a thread about whether or not we (and Snyder) were being impatient again. Then he proceeded to stink it up again after that, lol.

Still, Zorn's roster actually had decent talent but it was incredibly top-heavy and had no depth whatsoever. One injury was catastrophic. Now, we have a lot better depth and can actually survive an injury or two... but we're still a ways from surviving as many as we normally have. We're getting closer to that in my mind, though. We just need to get more dominant players now and not just depth guys that can fill in decently. That's what I see.

Archived