Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny Has Two Weeks To Avoid Armageddon

kleese

Actually, we seem to be a very well coached team every year under Shanahan the first 5 or 6 games, then all hell breaks loose. It has happened every year so far.

It also happened every year since 2005 when he coached Denver. He got fired for it there. It's not the talent but even if it is, he had full control there for a decade. His Redskins and Broncos teams since 2005 all lost at least 4 of their 6 final games. Actually that goes for most of his teams that weren't dominating. They all gave up on their coach. Wanna bet that we finish better than 5-11? The odds are just about 100% that we won't based on history.

Dude, you really have an extreme problem with ppl having an opposing view from yours don't you?

Everything has to be a personal attack...why?

Not everyone is going to share the same point of view as you. You had no reason to come that hard at GHH...hell, in fact he was on your side against me last week.

Take the advice you gave to me earlier today....calm down

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 11:57 PM ----------

Sorry mods...the state of the team is sending our board down a dark road...yet again

No, it has nothing with to do with opposing views but everything to do with how they're presented. I think I've made that much clear, but I know it's getting under your skin since you're one of the posters who are taking this board down you're aforementioned "dark road". This board goes to crap when we start losing like this because we have too many posts saying the same damn miserable thing over and over like it is pushing the discussion along when, in reality, it's just tantrum-throwing.

So, no dude, I don't have a problem with opposing views. I just have a problem with whiney complaining that clogs up 90% of the board. I swear, you can hear the crying when you log on to ES right now. It ruins something I hold dear.

And as for GHH, he becomes a different poster after a loss, perhaps swayed by the outrageous amount of "we deserve better" and "woe is me" posts and that does personally bother me, so there is that.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 04:44 AM ----------

It also happened every year since 2005 when he coached Denver. He got fired for it there. It's not the talent but even if it is, he had full control there for a decade. His Redskins and Broncos teams since 2005 all lost at least 4 of their 6 final games. Actually that goes for most of his teams that weren't dominating. They all gave up on their coach. Wanna bet that we finish better than 5-11? The odds are just about 100% that we won't based on history.

I think "losing control of the team" is a simplistic view. In 2005, didnt they go deep into the playoffs, by the way?

Anyway, his Bronco teams fell apart due to both Cutlers turnover problems as well as Defensive collapses. Furthermore, everyone was shocked when he got fired because the Broncos we're clearly trending in the right direction after they went into a semi-rebuild mode following 05 I believe. We havent had the same issues here, the last couple years have been more about an inability to sustain injuries and this year is not much different, except the cap penalty severely hampered out ability to get better in the secondary. Furthermore, this has been a total overhaul with only a few players from the previous roster making this team or any other team for that matter which says a lot about what our state was. Look at how when Mcdaniels took over that Bronco team and let go of a bunch of players practically EVERY ONE OF THEM was picked up immediately and are STILL productive players in the NFL.

Sorry, but this whole thing about the Redskins "giving up" or Shanahan "losing the locker room" is so utterly impossible for anyone to truly recognize unless they know every responsibility of every player on the field and are in the locker room everyday that, when brought up as fact, simply discredits the person. I see our players trying. I see them drop a pass not for a lack of effort, but because they're thinking too much or want to make a play before bringing it in. I see them miss tackles not because they dont want to wrap a guy up but because they are not in a good position in the first place due to both scheme and just being slower than the opposition.

I simply can not call that a lack of effort.

Good thread.

First off, I believe that if this is Shanahan's last season (and I think no way that happens), all is not lost and the most important outcome of the Shanahan regime will be seeing the owner take a huge step back and let football people run the show.

Tough to see teams like Indy bounce back so fast from being so bad. But I think we still need to be patient, no matter how this season ends. We are still dealing with the hangover from the Snyder/Cerrato years....in the form of Deangelo Hall and his contract, the Albert Haynesworth situation resulting in the cap penalties, the remaining lack of quality depth in the secondary, etc...

Sure, one can say we have had time to address these over the last three years, but these have not been a normal three years because of the lockout, the cap penalties, the lack of high draft picks in 2010. I think Shanahan deserves even more leeway than otherwise....and even in a normal situation, 3 years is too short in my opinion. Given the coaching carousel in past years, I think we as a fanbase need to gird our loins and be prepared for the full 5 years. And I think we'll be rewarded when we do so.

The night is darkest just before the dawn. We're young, we're banged-up, and we're only 2 weeks removed from an incredible game against the Giants on the road. No matter how this season ends (and I hope it ends well to create some positive momentum for next season), I truly believe we're in a good place.

Please, dear god, NO! :doh:

If we're going to fire Mike Shanahan, and essentially clean house, I want us to do what we've been needing to do. Hire a young, true up and comer coach (not an obscure position coach like Zorn was) but maybe get a guy like Mike McCoy (OC Denver), Greg Roman (OC San Fran), Vic Fangio (DC San Fran) or Perry Fewell. Hell, promote Kyle for goodness sake.

If Shanahan is out of here, I'm personally done with retreads.

not saying hiring Gruden is what I want...just making a prediction on what Snyder might be more inclined to do (he always seems to go for the splash). I'd LOVE to see Mike McCoy here!; any OC who could win with Tebow and then turn around and change his scheme to accommodate and then win with Manning gets my vote

not saying hiring Gruden is what I want...just making a prediction on what Snyder might be more inclined to do (he always seems to go for the splash). I'd LOVE to see Mike McCoy here!; any OC who could win with Tebow and then turn around and change his scheme to accommodate and then win with Manning gets my vote

Starting yet another system 3 years into the rebuild will significantly hamper the Redskins success going forward. The guys Shanahan has picked, especially O-line and RBs, are specially suited for his offensive system and if Shanahan goes we can expect a dramatic drop-off in their production.

But if it happens, I like to think (perhaps naively) that Bruce Allen is making the decision and the days of Snyder wanting to make a coaching splash are over.

Starting yet another system 3 years into the rebuild will significantly hamper the Redskins success going forward. The guys Shanahan has picked, especially O-line and RBs, are specially suited for his offensive system and if Shanahan goes we can expect a dramatic drop-off in their production.

But if it happens, I like to think (perhaps naively) that Bruce Allen is making the decision and the days of Snyder wanting to make a coaching splash are over.

Shanahan is on track for his 3rd losing season and from his statements on Sunday after the game, he's throwing in the towel (I don't care how much he backtracks or tries to spin damage control so far this week)...we're probably looking at another 5-6 win season and definitely. His record is 14-27 now I think.

I'd love to see some stability at the coaching staff also, and I was excited when Shanahan came here (I was solidly in his corner for the last two years and up untli the Panthers game, I though he should get at least 4 years). But unless they turned it around, Shanahan should probably be shown the door at the end of the year.

Agree that Allen should be promoted to GM.

• 1 month later...

Because Ed Kleese— a poster whom I have read with consistency since I joined the board in 2005, and appreciated— has posted multiple Mike Shanahan doomsday threads this year, I think we should all have a little fun with the feeding of the crow. Salt it up, marinate it in Pete's Hot Sauce (I put that **** on everything), whatever. But Kleese-y boy, open wide, it's time.

Everyone who took Shanny's comments as him giving up on the season help yourselves to some crow, and maybe learn from this.

I don't care how that was spun in the aftermath, or what a fantastic run we've been on since. Those comments were exactly as said at the time. Nothing will convince me otherwise, nor will my belief that without 10 in the locker room, it could well of unraveled for the HC. He was one VERY lucky man after that IMHO.

Hail.

After riding home from the stadium after the ugly Carolina loss and blowback from sports talk radio as Shanny's "evaluating" statement started to be dissected, turned on the TV and the then 6-2 Giants are at home and ahead of the Steelers 20-10 after the third quarter. Who could've dreamed that the Redskins would be in first place after 14 games had been played?

Remember listening to Sheehan on 980 during the next week (our bye), after the Giants had got blown out in Cincy and Vick went out with a concussion against Dallas. Kevin said "if we beat a Vick-less Eagles team next week, we're back in this thing"........................

I don't care how that was spun in the aftermath, or what a fantastic run we've been on since. Those comments were exactly as said at the time. Nothing will convince me otherwise, nor will my belief that without 10 in the locker room, it could well of unraveled for the HC. He was one VERY lucky man after that IMHO.

Hail.

Well, 10 was in the locker room thanks to Shanahan. He gets the credit for the team HE selected being mentally tough.

Remember listening to Sheehan on 980 during the next week (our bye), after the Giants had got blown out in Cincy and Vick went out with a concussion against Dallas. Kevin said "if we beat a Vick-less Eagles team next week, we're back in this thing"........................

I was JUST thinking about this! He had Loverro scoffing in disgust when he was laying out all the nonsense about the 'Skins going on a run, the Giants somehow fumbling in Dec., and the Cowboys executing their annual choke job. I love Sheehan because of his crippling homerism, but I was laughing along with Loverro that day.

Amazing turn of events.

Hail.

Well if nothing will convince you otherwise, even though you're wrong, I guess there is no point in discussing it further. If Shanny was throwing in the towel then the team wouldn't have bounced back like they have. It's been pointed out by plenty of people, including Shanny himself, that his comments were misinterpreted, and that is a far more likely scenario.

After riding home from the stadium after the ugly Carolina loss and blowback from sports talk radio as Shanny's "evaluating" statement started to be dissected, turned on the TV and the then 6-2 Giants are at home and ahead of the Steelers 20-10 after the third quarter. Who could've dreamed that the Redskins would be in first place after 14 games had been played?

Well I guess Sheehan was really on to something. :silly: In all seriousness, nobody could have predicted the events that followed the bye week all the way up until now. Thank goodness the players stuck by Coach Shanahan and continued to believe that the season was not over. Hopefully, things continue the way they're going and this team continue on to bigger and better things. :fingersx: :point2sky HTTR!!!

Well if nothing will convince you otherwise, even though you're wrong, I guess there is no point in discussing it further. If Shanny was throwing in the towel then the team wouldn't have bounced back like they have. It's been pointed out by plenty of people, including Shanny himself, that his comments were misinterpreted, and that is a far more likely scenario.

See, how can you claim right or wrong on that without being in the locker room and knowing what pulled the group together?

You can have an opinion on it. But the fact it's worked out well is immaterial to what was said at the time. There was plenty of pissed players in the aftermath, however he spun it the next day as being 'misinterpreted.'

We'll never fully know, but I firmly believe he was a VERY lucky guy after that who should thank the Lord nightly he had a guy on the field who the players did believe in leading by example.

Hail.

I still hold out hope for Shanny....he's done some nice things. But the results aren't adding up. No matter what the personell situation, the team shouldn't get WORSE as the season progresses.

Right on Kleese ... your OP was spot on. I think it captured how i felt at least.

I had a couple negative posts in this thread, mainly ****ing about how we play after byes. Hell ... who could blame me.

No crow needs to be served here.

Because Ed Kleese— a poster whom I have read with consistency since I joined the board in 2005, and appreciated— has posted multiple Mike Shanahan doomsday threads this year, I think we should all have a little fun with the feeding of the crow. Salt it up, marinate it in Pete's Hot Sauce (I put that **** on everything), whatever. But Kleese-y boy, open wide, it's time.

What did he say exactly that he should eat crow about? I still think the people who would be fine if Shanahan took 5 years to get to 8-8 are out of their minds.

This team was on the verge of an epic collapse and managed to turn it around after the bye week. Before then their was clearly some issues. After New York beat the kind with that last minute pass the team looked lost for the next two weeks. The coaches and players were disconnected.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during the bye week. Magic happened.

See, how can you claim right or wrong on that without being in the locker room and knowing what pulled the group together?

You can have an opinion on it. But the fact it's worked out well is immaterial to what was said at the time. There was plenty of pissed players in the aftermath, however he spun it the next day as being 'misinterpreted.'

We'll never fully know, but I firmly believe he was a VERY lucky guy after that who should thank the Lord nightly he had a guy on the field who the players did believe in leading by example.

Hail.

I can claim right or wrong because I understood the context of Shanahan's comment, how it was taken out of that context, and such was confirmed when Shanny clarified what he meant.

Coaching is everything at this level. Players don;t just excel in spite of their coach. The Redskins didn't rebound from 3-6 just because they thought Shanny gave up on them. The team has made great adjustments to scheme, the offense has done better because they got Garcon back healthy and because Haslett has improved his scheme. Players have also stepped up, yes, but the schemes wouldn;t be improving if the coaching staff had given up. Plus, most coaches don;t give up so long as they are not mathematically eliminated. Shanny's quote was misinterpreted, he didn't give up on the team, and he's been instrumental in this comeback.

Again, all opinion.

You claiming an opinion on context. And backing that up with the word of the man that it could well be argued then scrambled to spin it in a completely different direction when the reality of what he'd said hit home. What's happened subsequently is irrelevant to what was ssid right there, right then after the Carolina debacle.

We can go back and forth on this until we're blue in the face. It's still conjecture either way dependent on what you believe happened.

Hail.

Not sure I see any crow on my plate. If anything, I think our run validates what I felt all along... That there was enough here to win and it was time to start doing it. I absolutely did not expect THIS type of turnaround, but I did think we had enough to distance ourselves from the bottom feeders.

Shanny has done a tremendous job. No matter what happens now it is clear we have made tremendous progress and that the future, if not the present, is extremely bright. It feels great.

Not sure I see any crow on my plate. If anything, I think our run validates what I felt all along... That there was enough here to win and it was time to start doing it. I absolutely did not expect THIS type of turnaround, but I did think we had enough to distance ourselves from the bottom feeders.

Shanny has done a tremendous job. No matter what happens now it is clear we have made tremendous progress and that the future, if not the present, is extremely bright. It feels great.

And if someone brought this post up to start **** or act like Dick, they need to put a dress on and go play with the rest of little girls, or cowboy fans! Enjoy the winning streak for God sakes people!

Archived